Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

goatface posted:

Maybe if you're Australian.

Fortunately for me, I am :vegemite:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Written English is so useless. On more than one occasion I learned how to pronounce words because people keep spelling it wrong on the forums.
Once I attended a class where we read science papers and one guy (native speaker) was reading a section aloud and in the middle of the sentence said „uh no idea how to pronounce that“. I think the word was genome.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Neco posted:

Written English is so useless. On more than one occasion I learned how to pronounce words because people keep spelling it wrong on the forums.
Once I attended a class where we read science papers and one guy (native speaker) was reading a section aloud and in the middle of the sentence said „uh no idea how to pronounce that“. I think the word was genome.

I think phonetic misspellings are one of the main sources we have for guessing at the pronunciation of dead languages, so it only makes sense that it also works for living ones.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I'm getting really annoyed by people saying "automagically" instead of automatically, for literally any reason at all. Look, your "joke" was funny once six years ago. loving drop it.

I'm looking at you too, guy who pronounces "cache" like it's a French word, on purpose.

Are they pronouncing it like cachet or something? Totally legit word with a completely different meaning.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A recruiter from a tech company that laid me off last year (rhymes with See 'Em Bare) emailed me and hit me up on LinkedIn for a recommendation.

Um.

No.

Go to hell.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Factory started putting parking blocks in the already-hard-to-get-out-of lot. Now we can't pull through and park. Feel much safer already.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I really liked the former co-worker who replied to any question in his team chat with "clear your cache and cookies."

"Does anyone know who we call if we get locked out of system X?"

Clear your cache and cookies!

"On Single Member LLC accounts, can the TIN be disregarded to a trust with two beneficial owners?'

"Did anyone else watch the Oscar's last night?"

I don't think this was a schtick. I think he was that dumb. He didn't last long.

My now-former-as-of-yesterday team had one of our own. IM from yesterday:

Him: Can you help with this account (bizarre spiel that barely makes sense, but I'm used to this from him).

Me: Acct #?

Him: 8675309

Me: That's one digit short. Can I get it again?

Him: 1-8675309

Me: That still doesn't pull up. Please provide a correct 8 digit account number.

Him: 1-303-8675309, followed by a link to a Tommy Tutone video on YouTube.

Me: I'm aware of the existence of this song. Are you making some 80's joke that I'm not getting?

Him: Have a good day!

I'm going to miss most of the team I was on, sans him.

The job, a little... it's going to be weird going from a place where I'm the SME on everything to one where I know nothing and am already a couple of weeks behind, thanks to a bunch of behind the scenes politics.

But I'm also not dumb enough to turn down a job that will pay more without requiring me to be the sounding board for everyone's complaints and escalations. It will be nice to just sort of be in charge of myself for a while.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

blackmet posted:

I really liked the former co-worker who replied to any question in his team chat with "clear your cache and cookies."

"Does anyone know who we call if we get locked out of system X?"

"On Single Member LLC accounts, can the TIN be disregarded to a trust with two beneficial owners?'

"Did anyone else watch the Oscar's last night?"

I don't think this was a schtick. I think he was that dumb. He didn't last long.

Most people who walk up on us with no ticket get the same question from us "Did you try turning it off and on again?"

It's really funny when they get all indignant, like we're loving with them until we pull up the system uptime and it's been like three months since they rebooted or even just shut down for the night (Why they gently caress are you leaving your laptop on so long?), then we just reboot it ourselves and wow, hey presto, the thing that was a problem is no longer a problem.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Timby posted:

A recruiter from a tech company that laid me off last year (rhymes with See 'Em Bare) emailed me and hit me up on LinkedIn for a recommendation.

Um.

No.

Go to hell.

The correct answer is 'Yes, I'd be delighted. Please give them my number.'

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Cthulu Carl posted:

Most people who walk up on us with no ticket get the same question from us "Did you try turning it off and on again?"

It's really funny when they get all indignant, like we're loving with them until we pull up the system uptime and it's been like three months since they rebooted or even just shut down for the night (Why they gently caress are you leaving your laptop on so long?), then we just reboot it ourselves and wow, hey presto, the thing that was a problem is no longer a problem.

Lol. People think I'm a whiz because I suggest that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Cthulu Carl posted:

(Why they gently caress are you leaving your laptop on so long?)

Oh my GOD, thank you, I thought I was the only one who still turned off their computers daily. I currently work for an employer that for reasons requires everyone to turn their computer off every night. Sometimes I hear people casually mention they haven't turned it off in weeks, and I'm like :psyduck:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
People do not shut their computers down?

Do you people leave your cars running all night too?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

I worked the IT help desk in college and one professor yelled at me both on the phone and in person after I walked over to her office from the other side of campus. her computer wouldn't turn on, and she yelled at me when I asked that in person. sure enough it wouldn't turn on... cause it was unplugged from the physical wall outlet :psyduck:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cthulu Carl posted:

Some people get fooled by the shutdown command in windows 10/11, which defaults to fast boot (hybrid boot). This closes applications and hibernates the machine, so it never actually restarts. With todays solid state drives, companies should be disabling this as part of their configuration policies.

There might also be some ignorance that closing the screen isn’t a restart, or the power button short press might be sleep, not power off. Again, some configuration policies might help.

Enforced reboots are also possible, but it quickly devolves into a situation where people power up their laptop Monday morning, get started on their workday, and then get forced to restart because it hasn’t recorded a restart for a few days.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Can you set laptops/computers to reboot at a specific day/time of the week?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I leave mine on for a while before I shut it down because I hate it taking ten minutes to log into and bring up all the documents I need. Most of time I get stupidass answers to bugs in the system. This process that has been to same for years and decides to do something dumb on this one case because you bid the system we use out to loving Deloitte, it’s working as intended, thanks fuckface.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Our IT/security has installed various software that makes my laptop take no joke 10-12 minutes to fully boot before I can open the software to get through the firewall. I got a replacement laptop a few months ago and first boot up was so fast, then the company software installer added all the extra stuff and went right back to 10-12 minutes before it’s usable after starting.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I leave mine on sleep overnight during the week all the time because if I'm in the middle of something at the end of the day, like gently caress am I closing down the dozen programs and 15 documents I'm using when our internal systems don't save any last-place info. I'd hibernate it if it let me for power draw, but that option has been hard disabled for security reasons.

I probably got too used to my old research machines that would regularly have uptimes in the months because they were running 80-100% load simulations most of the time. I only had two of those burn down in about a decade.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

goatface posted:

80-100% load simulations

Call me.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

Some people get fooled by the shutdown command in windows 10/11, which defaults to fast boot (hybrid boot). This closes applications and hibernates the machine, so it never actually restarts. With todays solid state drives, companies should be disabling this as part of their configuration policies.

There might also be some ignorance that closing the screen isn’t a restart, or the power button short press might be sleep, not power off. Again, some configuration policies might help.

Enforced reboots are also possible, but it quickly devolves into a situation where people power up their laptop Monday morning, get started on their workday, and then get forced to restart because it hasn’t recorded a restart for a few days.

Yeah, the "hibernate instead of shut down" thing happens from time to time so the "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" has evolved to "When was the last time you rebooted? Did you select shut down or reboot?" 50% of the time, though the answer is "Oh, I think it's been a few weeks." Then a bit later in the conversation they'll ask "Oh, can you help with something else? The case on my laptop is like... Bulging?" And then we have to replace a battery.

We also now have to check the asset record on every ticket because otherwise there's a non-zero chance you'll troubleshoot for an hour with a user on some completely bizarre issue and then they'll say either "Should I just use this other computer I got a few months ago?" or "I don't understand, this doesn't happen on my old computer." Because these people will order a new laptop instead of putting in a ticket and then just never bother setting up the replacement laptop. Some shitheaps have three or four laptops they've yet to return so now asset management is sending out threats that they'll just kill all the computers assigned to them if they don't return them.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Outrail posted:

People do not shut their computers down?

Do you people leave your cars running all night too?

My boss is hardcore into energy saving and he'd lecture us if we didn't power down our monitors at night. I returned petty with petty by calculating the cost of the tiny little standby LED (the computer itself was off) and he dropped it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My company computers mandate a shutoff every seven days, otherwise Id never reboot you can't make me, it was me, me the whole time you fools.

Edit: I forgot to update but to fix my work login that apple broke took 12 days, a patch to their system that might have affected literally just me, and a complete wipe of my work credentials and replacement of them to fix.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Barudak posted:

My company computers mandate a shutoff every seven days, otherwise Id never reboot you can't make me, it was me, me the whole time you fools.

Edit: I forgot to update but to fix my work login that apple broke took 12 days, a patch to their system that might have affected literally just me, and a complete wipe of my work credentials and replacement of them to fix.

No wonder you're selling too much! You need to shut down your computer every other day and give it 24 hours before you reboot and start working again. Your computer needs rest too you know!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Our IT/security has installed various software that makes my laptop take no joke 10-12 minutes to fully boot before I can open the software to get through the firewall. I got a replacement laptop a few months ago and first boot up was so fast, then the company software installer added all the extra stuff and went right back to 10-12 minutes before it’s usable after starting.

This was me at previous gig. I'd come in, hit power button and type login credentials, start coffee, smoke a cigarette, and then maaaaybe it'd be ready to work.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Yeah I'm just closing the lid every day at 5, I'm not spending 10 minutes every morning getting everything set up again. I only do full shutdowns on Friday. I wish Windows figured this out so it would gently caress off with its updates during the work week. It's the worst thing ever to have everything finally opened, setup and connected, only for that stupid blue modal to come up HEY IT'S TIME TO REBOOT.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Yeah I'm just closing the lid every day at 5, I'm not spending 10 minutes every morning getting everything set up again. I only do full shutdowns on Friday. I wish Windows figured this out so it would gently caress off with its updates during the work week. It's the worst thing ever to have everything finally opened, setup and connected, only for that stupid blue modal to come up HEY IT'S TIME TO REBOOT.

It’s totally possible for a company to set this up, including having the laptop wake up on its own to update. Of course, Microsoft broke things a few times with various bugs in windows, sccm, or intune that stopped it working. There could also be problems like updates starting when battery power was low, or the laptop was in a confined space and would overheat. Another option is to present this selection to users and let them pick their own off hours, but the interface for this was not easily discoverable and it wasn’t clear what it was for if you did find it.

MS is currently working on in flight patching, where it can swap out core complements without needing to restart, or even interrupt workflow beyond a bit of lag. Not sure if they will get there, as too much effort is focused on chasing fads, turning edge into bonzi buddy, and forcing touch interfaces onto mouse + kb users.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

In an attempt to cut down on the number of derailments the company has issued a slew of new directives regarding train length, weight, and placement of certain types of cars. They've made so many changes that now the simple act of picking up extra cars can become almost impossible because you'd be violating one or the other of these new regulations. And no one in leadership wants to be the one to tell you you're okay to make said pick up for fear of overlooking some new rule and accidentally making your train illegal.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

praxis posted:

In an attempt to cut down on the number of derailments the company has issued a slew of new directives regarding train length, weight, and placement of certain types of cars. They've made so many changes that now the simple act of picking up extra cars can become almost impossible because you'd be violating one or the other of these new regulations. And no one in leadership wants to be the one to tell you you're okay to make said pick up for fear of overlooking some new rule and accidentally making your train illegal.

Go on...

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

EoRaptor posted:

It’s totally possible for a company to set this up, including having the laptop wake up on its own to update.

Our sysadmins are chronically overworked and while I'm sure they can do this, they don't have time for it. We wanted to use some static analysis tool on our codebase to identify weak spots and improve things. At some point the software had to be updated to be compatible with the current version of php. Sysadmins are so overworked that they've been sitting on that ticket for three years. We're already considering switching to a different tool because this one is basically useless now.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
In my experience, windows PCs are naturally very good at waking for updates whenever the gently caress they want, and in fact stopping mine from doing so took an hour or so of searching and tweaking the three separate mechanisms to prevent the user from preventing this.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

God I love racking up months of uptime. Gives me perverse pleasure

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Atopian posted:

In my experience, windows PCs are naturally very good at waking for updates whenever the gently caress they want, and in fact stopping mine from doing so took an hour or so of searching and tweaking the three separate mechanisms to prevent the user from preventing this.

there is now a separate scheduled task to restart the service whose job it is to restart the regular update service. pulling on that thread is like one of those internet scavenger hunts with hidden messages in exifs and poo poo

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm sure we have many other threads for helpdesk to complain about lusers not restarting their PCs.

Yes, turning it off and on again fixes many ills.

No, having uptime of a month is not some bizarre computer sin that makes your battery bulge.

Windows is pretty bad with restoring state, so why would it be a surprise that people leave it running as long as possible?

And none of this is "dumb poo poo your work does" so it doesn't even fit this thread!!!

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Had a big crew change recently and therefore need to do a mandatory muster and drill exercise within 24 hours due to the percentage of new crew. Captain and Chief mate decided between them that since port and departure would be busy that they would carry out the drill before arriving there.

“But it’s within 24 hours”

ONE WEIRD TRICK MARITIME AUTHORITIES DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW!!
:sludgepal:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

~Coxy posted:

And none of this is "dumb poo poo your work does" so it doesn't even fit this thread!!!

Joke's on you. I work at Microsoft. :smug:

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Mr Teatime posted:

Had a big crew change recently and therefore need to do a mandatory muster and drill exercise within 24 hours due to the percentage of new crew. Captain and Chief mate decided between them that since port and departure would be busy that they would carry out the drill before arriving there.

“But it’s within 24 hours”

ONE WEIRD TRICK MARITIME AUTHORITIES DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW!!
:sludgepal:

Just to make sure I understand - are they proposing doing a drill for the purposes of integrating the new crew before they pick up the new crew, so the box gets ticked?

Because that would be Something.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

McGavin posted:

Joke's on you. I work at Microsoft. :smug:

I don't believe you. You don't post "try refreshing or reinstalling windows" to literally every complaint.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ruffian Price posted:

God I love racking up months of uptime. Gives me perverse pleasure

I once had a Raspberry Pi sitting in a corner that almost hit a calendar year of uptime before a power blink ruined everything :argh:

My work does the enforced reboots as well, but they're generally good about giving you a popup that you can snooze for up to 8 hours so at least have it kick off after your shift. But every once in a while they will decide that 2pm on a Thursday is a fine time to force a reboot with 60 seconds warning :shrug:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

~Coxy posted:

No, having uptime of a month is not some bizarre computer sin that makes your battery bulge.

Speaking of which, user put in a helpdesk ticket saying, 'hey my laptop case is warping, it still works though"

Sends a picture of a swollen battery opening the front case by nearly 3/4" at its widest point.
Nobody else on the team thought it was a big deal. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Speaking of which, user put in a helpdesk ticket saying, 'hey my laptop case is warping, it still works though"

Sends a picture of a swollen battery opening the front case by nearly 3/4" at its widest point.
Nobody else on the team thought it was a big deal. :psyduck:

We've had ones brought in with the battery so swollen the touchpad stats registering phantom inputs or just ceases to work at all until a new battery is put in.