Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I buy them pre-dyed for exactly that reason, I don't have the means or need to worry about dying them consistently through. I pretty much have a lifetime supply now as Certainly Wood only sells their dyed veneers in full lengths...which is 10+ feet lengths. :lol:

Have you considered making a "tapestry" of marquetry? A nice big 12'x4' thing to hang on the wall of someone's castle. Lots of room for detail work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bred
Oct 24, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

To be fair I never weighed it and it's just a guesstimate I got from someone else so I internalized it as truth. It's all cast iron though, 24" wheels.

Maybe bolt on skis or a sled, something you can cut a slope in and long enough to use as leverage. Then inch it along with a prybar. Any place to anchor a come along? I've dragged a car with one through dirt.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
That's what I was thinking with my plywood on plywood idea basically. I got a few places to put winches to drag it the right way.

Since the ground isn't entirely even all the way I was a bit afraid of putting on wheels, but it might be a possibility too, the put wheels on a sturdy pallet idea was interesting. Since it's gravel I could do some preparatory work as well.

Mr. Mambold I've never driven a forklift in my life and I don't know if I could even rent one. Feels like transporting it might be as big a challenge.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

That's what I was thinking with my plywood on plywood idea basically. I got a few places to put winches to drag it the right way.

Since the ground isn't entirely even all the way I was a bit afraid of putting on wheels, but it might be a possibility too, the put wheels on a sturdy pallet idea was interesting. Since it's gravel I could do some preparatory work as well.

Mr. Mambold I've never driven a forklift in my life and I don't know if I could even rent one. Feels like transporting it might be as big a challenge.

This is why I suggested a pitman truck earlier. It would be a tiny job for them to zoom into the edge of your garage, strap and lift it, drive across your property, and boom it down to location. Would take maybe an hour of their time on the way to do something else or on the way back.

I like to think of it this way: if I get hurt doing something stupid or break the loving thing, what would it have cost to just have someone proper to do it and be done?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's always an option to call someone if it looks risky, but if possible I always want to try and handle things on my own first.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

It's always an option to call someone if it looks risky, but if possible I always want to try and handle things on my own first.

One mark for pride, two for avoiding social interaction in person.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Avoiding that really is a huge bonus

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
The sled idea is really the way to go especially if you have a come along. Get 4 large lag bolts and a couple of long 6x6's and just bolt it through the feet where the floor anchors would go. Use a jack to lift it one side at a time to get it onto the boards. If you have someone to help you can get by with a prybar but the risk of tipping it or hurting yourself is much higher. Don't lift by the table. If you can put down plywood it will move a lot easier, you can also put a couple pieces of steel or aluminum pipe under the 6x6's and slowly roll it forward mowing the rearmost pipe to the front as you go. The important things to remember are going to be not to let it tip to the side and if it starts to go, you can't catch it, just get out of the way.

If you can swing it, a bobcat as was mentioned earlier would make this a 10 minute affair chaining it to the bucket. 5 minutes if you had moving forks. Bobcats are expensive to rent.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I have my own crane that can easily lift the saw and more, but it's castors are meant for concrete. Wheels and table will be removed, that's how I did when I got it inside. Top wheel has to be taken off or it's too tall anyway.

If I call someone I think the best option is to simply ask on the local FB group if someone nearby with a tractor and front loader wants to help for a small sum. I wish I had a tractor.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 7, 2023

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Could you crane it onto a little trailer, strap it down just tow it across the gravel? UHaul utility trailers are about 2ft off the ground.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Don’t you have a full machine shop? The Jaded Burnout approach would be start building a forklift from scratch.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

this is why you should just do a melamine driveway and put in some t track

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Don’t you have a full machine shop? The Jaded Burnout approach would be start building a forklift from scratch.

Man starts forklift project, man makes joke about using wife has ballast, man no longer has any problem because man is dead.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Unrelated to woodworking but a relevant story to getting something really loving heavy into a garage:

I got a strip of football field turf to put in my garage gym. You might not believe it based on the dimensions but the thing weighs over 2000 lbs with infill. They forklifted it into a trailer for me, and when I got home I dropped the tailgate, strapped the roll to a tree, and then drove the trailer out from under it, leaving me with this massive roll mostly in my driveway and partially in the street. I then used a manual winch thing attached to another tree to very slowly drag it a bit off the street 1” at a time.

I then bribed about 10 of my friends to come over and roll/push/pull this thing slightly uphill into my garage.

So call up a bunch of people, get some pizza and beer, and get to work…

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
It's important to get to know all your tools and this bandsaw problem is the perfect opportunity. Just disassemble the entire unit and put it back together in the new location.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

unfortunately when you disassemble a bandsaw like that what you're left with is a frame the approximate size and weight of an entire bandsaw, plus a few odds and ends.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rufio posted:

It's important to get to know all your tools and this bandsaw problem is the perfect opportunity. Just disassemble the entire unit and put it back together in the new location.

just disassemble the building it's in, move that building, and build the building it's supposed to be in, around the saw.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

unfortunately when you disassemble a bandsaw like that what you're left with is a frame the approximate size and weight of an entire bandsaw, plus a few odds and ends.

Sounds like an opportunity to get into welding

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Rufio posted:

Sounds like an opportunity to get into welding

Already there, but you can't weld cast iron, the frame is a single piece.

And I built the building it's going into myself. That had some tricky dealings since I hand hewed the roof beams with an axe from trees felled on my property but I got them moved and I got them up onto the roof myself using tricks and winches.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The table and motor are probably a good chunk of weight that can be relatively easily removed.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The future is here.

My buddy is keeping his desktop CNC at my shop for a bit and told me to feel free to dick around with it. One false start and broken endmill later, it cut out the thing I told it to cut out! I never thought I would want anything to with a cnc router but it’s pretty darned cool and the CAM part of fusion360 isn’t nearly as scary as I thought.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Lmao, whatever happened to him?

Already there, but you can't weld cast iron, the frame is a single piece.

And I built the building it's going into myself. That had some tricky dealings since I hand hewed the roof beams with an axe from trees felled on my property but I got them moved and I got them up onto the roof myself using tricks and winches.

Don't you have any neighbors selling a tractor? You know you need one.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I couldn’t really refuse for $60. I know it’s sitting the wrong way in the saw, I just wanted to make sure it worked on the tracks I have.

General 50-050 tenon jig in pretty much new shape.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
That's a beefy jig. Use a sacrificial backer, even good blades tend to blow out the top of a through cut.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I should do this but I would totally buy a chisel and never get around to making a handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H7_rMqKsNk&t=21s

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

On today's episode of "It's Fine" Woodworking: "Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should":

It was around the 40th hand cut dovetail that I began to suspect there may be something to all the other, lesser joinery methods:

After that, I decided my life was not yet difficult enough, so I made a mallet out of hickory and Sonoran ironwood, hand tools only:

It took 15 minutes to make a single saw cut all the way through the 6"x6"x3" ironwood block, chopping the mortise had me sharpening my chisels every 5 minutes or so, and the whole thing clocks in at just over two pounds, so it whacks stuff real good.

Stay tuned for next time, in which I probably find a way to dramatically overcomplicate making a shoe rack.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Suntan Boy posted:

Stay tuned for next time, in which I probably find a way to dramatically overcomplicate making a shoe rack.

At least you’ll have a very beautiful mallet to use when you set your hand carved dowels for the shoes to sit on.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Suntan Boy posted:

On today's episode of "It's Fine" Woodworking: "Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should":

It took 15 minutes to make a single saw cut all the way through the 6"x6"x3" ironwood block, chopping the mortise had me sharpening my chisels every 5 minutes or so, and the whole thing clocks in at just over two pounds, so it whacks stuff real good.

That's a mallet fit for a judge. If only there were a judge fit for that mallet.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Suntan Boy posted:

It was around the 40th hand cut dovetail that I began to suspect there may be something to all the other, lesser joinery methods:

After that, I decided my life was not yet difficult enough, so I made a mallet out of hickory and Sonoran ironwood, hand tools only:

Anyone hand-cutting dovetails in plywood needs help.

Sorry your brain is broken but it all looks great!

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I've never cut a dovetail and I'm sure getting plenty of reasons to never start.

love u domino

(also drill press and chisels for big chunky mortise-and-tenon joints but that's just because it's fun)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's a mallet fit for a judge. If only there were a judge fit for that mallet.

I know just the Man

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

That's a beefy jig. Use a sacrificial backer, even good blades tend to blow out the top of a through cut.

Hey this is good advice that made me think about how I was even going to use the jig and the blowout on the back of the cut.

I went to BusyBee yesterday, which is like our :canada: version of Lee Valley? Anyways, it was more to take stock of what they actually had and my god it would be expensive in there for me. I ended up just grabbing some replacement earbud tips for my ISOtunes since they stocked them for the same price as Amazon without the shipping or stuff.

It’s getting near warm enough to finish up my shop table. The transport flooring comes with a rabbited edge that has a small 1/8” rounded bead to keep the planks from jamming up flush to each other. It will keep the planks nice and level with each other but I’m hoping that small 1/16th gap doesn’t become annoying.

I’ve used it a gently caress load as it, but should get to actually finishing it now. :sweatdrop:

I’m thinking of just adding some clips to secure each board individually to the frame underneath and let them float on top of each other with that rabbited edge so they can expand as 12” x 11’ boards and not one solid 50” x 11’ setup.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Sockington posted:

I went to BusyBee yesterday, which is like our :canada: version of Lee Valley?

This will maybe cause you to spend too much money but Lee Valley is Canadian. Veritas tools are made in Ottawa.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

SimonSays posted:

This will maybe cause you to spend too much money but Lee Valley is Canadian. Veritas tools are made in Ottawa.

Ha! I just knew there was a BusyBee up the road from my shithole town versus Big Box chain heaven where I’m at. I usually do in person shopping for tools and stuff, so I’ve never had the privilege of looking up Lee Valley.

Edit: I think the pricing made me think it was USD converted to CDN, and thus based down south. Oh no, that’s just regular pricing.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Speaking of Canadian and joinery, been really impressed with how well the Jessem dowel jig works. Built a planer cart with it and 1/2x3" dowels make it an absolute tank. Would be nice to have some dust collection on it but at least drills dont scatter it all across the garage.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I inherited a bunch of wood from a friend's late father.

There's a lot of nice surfaced hardwoods in there, nothing too exotic, and it's all twisted from being 30 years old, but still useable and also free.

But among all of that was a cookie-- maybe 28" around. Cool and rad.
Problem is, it was cut really stupid, so it's 4"+ thick on one side and 2" thick on the other.

I can run my CNC through this or build a quick router sled and get real aggressive on it, but it's still going to take me foreeeeeeeeeeever to get this anywhere near flat.
Is there any sort of dumb trick to quickly knock a ton of thickness off of this?
Go to town on it with an angle grinder or something?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sockser posted:

I inherited a bunch of wood from a friend's late father.

There's a lot of nice surfaced hardwoods in there, nothing too exotic, and it's all twisted from being 30 years old, but still useable and also free.

But among all of that was a cookie-- maybe 28" around. Cool and rad.
Problem is, it was cut really stupid, so it's 4"+ thick on one side and 2" thick on the other.

I can run my CNC through this or build a quick router sled and get real aggressive on it, but it's still going to take me foreeeeeeeeeeever to get this anywhere near flat.
Is there any sort of dumb trick to quickly knock a ton of thickness off of this?
Go to town on it with an angle grinder or something?

Depends on what you want to do with it. For some of the extremely rough pieces I've dealt with lately that extreme variation I've flattened the show side and then used a router sled or my drill press to make just the connection points coplanar.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

A table of some sort is what I had in my head

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

A table of some sort is what I had in my head

Do you need both sides to be flat and coplanar? It could be a neat look to adjust the legs so that the flat surface remains level despite the opposite face being irregular. Probably wouldn't be too hard to do either; install the legs over-long, then cut them so that the table rests flat, then install stretchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I made my own liquid hide glue! Or rather, I re-constituted glue from some hide glue granules I purchased and a dusty old box of canning salt from our pantry. I used Joshua Klein's recipe, just glue & salt & water. I use an electric kettle with a thermometer in to bring it up to 140 degrees, and just keep an eye on it every half hour to see if it needs more heat.

I've previously always used Old Brown Glue. What surprised me is the stuff I cooked actually smells a lot less offensive than OBG does. OBG isn't nauseating, but it is definitely unpleasant, while this stuff is just kind of neutral. Aside from just being something fun to try, my motivation was I always seem to have OBG left over long after the expiration date, and I've had several joints fail possibly from old glue, so now I'm quick to toss it, which feels wasteful. Mixing up my own from dry granules will let me make small batches with fresh glue for each project.

I used it to glue up the undercarriage for chair number 3. My first chair with stretchers!