Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My blood turned to ice just now when I realized that the swimming lessons I signed my son up for start tomorrow…at the same time he normally takes his morning dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
🙏🙏🙏

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Depth charge

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Nessa posted:

Anyway, despite my husband cleaning it right away, our carpet is stained to hell. It already had some stains from the previous owners, but these ones look much worse. Any tips for getting brown toddler puke stains out of old beige carpet?

A little late, but if you have one, Home Depot rents carpet cleaners for about $27/4hours or $40/day. Handy if it's a small area. We did that a couple times, and eventually bought one.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Ben Nevis posted:

A little late, but if you have one, Home Depot rents carpet cleaners for about $27/4hours or $40/day. Handy if it's a small area. We did that a couple times, and eventually bought one.

Ask around your parent friend group, and borrow one.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

External Organs posted:

Almost 3 year old hugging me while saying "I been missing you" is basically the best feeling in the world :3:

It's basically the best thing that's happened ever, enjoy it and burn it into your brain.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’m looking into just replacing the floor with something better if it’s in our budget.

I am amazed that there are people that didn’t just use ice cream buckets as puke buckets. We always keep a couple around for various purposes, but mostly as puke buckets.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
FYI Blippi season 7 on Netflix features the original Blippi (Steven) and not the cool and good and season 1-6 Blippi (Clayton), and may be problematic for your detail aware child.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Sat/sun morning, the kids get two picks (~22min) each of tv, rotating among all three. Once the first one is downstairs I take the dog for a long walk. Just the twins were up today when I left. They watched their two picks each and turned the tv off to go play quietly while I was still gone. Good job boys!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You never know when you're gonna walk into a room and find a marker drawing taped up to the wall

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Our daughter was playing with some new toys and I heard her go if you liked give a thumbs up. Guess she's been watching too many youtube videos on her tablet.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Thought kiddo was over the stomach bug since she was good for a whole day and even slept through the night in her own room. Nope. She had a foul liquidy poop in the evening and then and hour and a half after going to bed, she woke up crying and vomiting again. My husband noticed there were no tears when she cried and since we couldn’t get her to drink any water or even have a pedialyte popsicle, I called the health line.

In the middle of talking to the nurse, she puked up again all over the kitchen floor and became incredibly upset. Even crying, “Help me mama!” The nurse could hear her and when I got back on the line he said he recommended getting her seen by a doctor in the next four hours if she didn’t improve over the next hour.

It was already late and I didn’t want to wait around a whole hour, so we just got packed up and left for the children’s hospital. Once we got in the triage nurse gave her some anti-nausea medication which really seemed to help. She was able to eat most of an oaty bar and drink some water. She either slept or was entertained by YouTube and a fish tank during the 5 hours we waited to see a doctor. Doc wasn’t too worried, but sent us home with a couple more doses of the medication to give her in case she takes a turn again and we can’t get her to eat or drink anything.

Managed to finally go to bed and get a few hours sleep at 6am. Kiddo came to wake me up at 9. Fortunately, she’s been eating and drinking. Had some puffs and even asked for popcorn. Not the greatest morning snack, but I’ll give her whatever she wants to eat right now.

We were supposed to have my father-in-law over today to finish working on our downstairs shower (I’ve been waiting over 6 months for it to get finished). Of course those plans have been shelved in favour of doing absolutely nothing.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Glad she's feeling better :unsmith: last week ours threw up all her food during the night but as she didn't cry we didn't realise until morning.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Welp we've all got Covid. At least we're all vaxxed.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I keep thinking that we are safe from the stomach bug going around cuz we had it recently, but recently was Christmas, and I don’t think that’s quite how stomach bugs work anyways. At least with ours, the vomiting and diarrhea was over in 24 hours, and the uneasiness was over in 48 hours.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My two-year-old son is screaming at the breakfast table I WANT COFFEE!! I WANT COFFEE!!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Glad she's feeling better :unsmith: last week ours threw up all her food during the night but as she didn't cry we didn't realise until morning.

Oh nooooo! :(

Brawnfire posted:

My two-year-old son is screaming at the breakfast table I WANT COFFEE!! I WANT COFFEE!!

Mine will ask for coffee, but that’s because I get sweet stuff like French vanilla cappuccinos, iced caps, and coffee frappes. She would drink the whole thing if I let her, so I try to hide the cup from her sometimes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter started getting in on the "coffee drinks" a while back and it's like we put a teaspoon of coffee into milk and chocolate syrup with a dash of cinnamon. She feels like such a grown-up drinking her (chocolate milk) coffee.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
At what age do children start using a public bathroom on their own? My 7 year old still won't and it's making me more and more uncomfortable to have to drag her into the men's room

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

cum jabbar posted:

At what age do children start using a public bathroom on their own? My 7 year old still won't and it's making me more and more uncomfortable to have to drag her into the men's room

How does she do at home? I figure it should work more or less the same way.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Everything is fine at home. The problem is she's scared of everything outside the house, including the bathroom

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My child just laid in their crib and stared in their dark room for two hours last night from 1:30 to 3:30 AM. Any time I attempted to leave they got up and yelled. If I tried to rock him to sleep he just laid on my chest quietly and stared.

Finally I suggested sleeping in the dog bed again instead. I put his little sleeping bag in it, pulled it next to the guest bed, and me and him and the dogs had a little slumber party. He slept until like 9:30 after that and now has tons of energy and I’m exhausted.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

space uncle posted:

My child just laid in their crib and stared in their dark room for two hours last night from 1:30 to 3:30 AM. Any time I attempted to leave they got up and yelled. If I tried to rock him to sleep he just laid on my chest quietly and stared.

Finally I suggested sleeping in the dog bed again instead. I put his little sleeping bag in it, pulled it next to the guest bed, and me and him and the dogs had a little slumber party. He slept until like 9:30 after that and now has tons of energy and I’m exhausted.

Welcome to parenting! Ours has done it a few times, I swear it's some big thing happening in their brains.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

cum jabbar posted:

Everything is fine at home. The problem is she's scared of everything outside the house, including the bathroom

:same:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Brawnfire posted:

you should start pounding the table in a bo diddley beat when he says that to turn your family into the next bow wow wow

This will have no repercussions on future table behavior

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Brawnfire posted:

In Finland this is normal

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Any advice for how to sleep train while sharing a room? We’re still room-sharing with our four-month-old but are starting to think about moving him into his brother (3 year old)‘s room. But how tf do we do sleep training without torturing the toddler, and by extension us? Do we sleep train him in our room and only move him out when he’s trained?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Had an amusing moment as my kids got some sort of pastel-colored marshmallow in Nana's easter basket and my son tries to draw on the sidewalk with it, then tries to play with it like clay, then just starts throwing it around. Definitely not recognized as food.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
So...kind of parenting adjacent question. Are there/have there been any threads specifically for step parents/partners of people with children? I realize a lot of the things I'm dealing with (unexpectedly met the kid's mother for the first time this weekend) are along those lines and I definitely don't want to take away from the Real Parents in this thread.

In other news, we took him to this big easter egg hunt event and watching him talk strategy beforehand with another young kid was amusing as hell. He decided he was going for ONLY BLUE EGGS and boy did he ever, with the exclamation that he WON THE WHOLE THING! afterwards.

His phrase this weekend was "you're the BEST!" which was cute as heck :3

edit: other phrase was NO I DON'T HAVE TO, though...

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 10, 2023

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

CherryCola posted:

So...kind of parenting adjacent question. Are there/have there been any threads specifically for step parents/partners of people with children? I realize a lot of the things I'm dealing with (unexpectedly met the kid's mother for the first time this weekend) are along those lines and I definitely don't want to take away from the Real Parents in this thread.
I am not sure if there is another thread like you are describing, but you have just as much a right to post here as anyone, you clearly care deeply for the kid and want good things for him :)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my mom came over for easter with a present for her grandson, who loved it.. but immediately was like "are there more presents? i want more presents" lol. greedy toddlers! there were no more presents.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

CherryCola posted:

I doubt any of us mind at all. It’s just nice to have a place that isn’t influencer or influencer-adjacent dominated to chat about parenting (and also situations like yours).

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 10, 2023

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

boquiabierta posted:

Any advice for how to sleep train while sharing a room? We’re still room-sharing with our four-month-old but are starting to think about moving him into his brother (3 year old)‘s room. But how tf do we do sleep training without torturing the toddler, and by extension us? Do we sleep train him in our room and only move him out when he’s trained?

I haven’t sleep trained my kids ever, but in my experience of moving the little kid into the bigger kid’s room, I was surprised how much my older kid can sleep through. Because I haven’t sleep trained, my 22 month old still wakes up 1-2x a night, and while he makes enough noise to wake me up in the next room (with ear plugs and a fan), he rarely wakes up his sister.

I imagine it would be really hard to sleep train with the baby right there, with them knowing you are close to them. If your older kid sleeps pretty deeply it might not be too bad?

Re: non-parent thread: I don’t think it exists, but you are certainly welcome here. Dating someone who has a child whose life you are involved with is definitely close enough to parenting, especially if that child sees you in that kind of role. It’s helpful to hear different perspectives on raising/experiencing kids, even if they aren’t your own.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

boquiabierta posted:

We are in the process of sleep training our 3-month old and it isn’t too bad. We trained in our room. First night she cried for 50 minutes before sleeping, woke up at 4am and cried for 20 minutes. Second night she cried for 20 minutes, woke up again at 2am, cried for 10 minutes. Third night she cried for 5 minutes, then she cried for about 10 minutes at 5am. All in all it hasn’t been that bad, I thought it was going to be much worse. Hardest part is not interfering with her as it can cause regressions in training. She is now napping longer and putting herself back to sleep more easily during the day. That could be because she started rolling into her stomach last night, which made sleep training even more stressful, and seems to be tiring her out as she can’t stop doing it during back time…

So I guess all in all I would say you can do it in your room, might get woken up a couple times, but hopefully it goes well for you like it has for us!

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 10, 2023

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

At 4 year old soccer practice

This is the funniest poo poo

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Renegret posted:

At 4 year old soccer practice

This is the funniest poo poo

Kids + Organized Exercise is an amazing combination

I'd require stretch breaks during programming class, I'd run them through a few exercises and then let some students pick exercises.

Without fail, a boy would call "pushups!" because machismo

then I'd get a room of 10 kids completely failing to do an actual push-up in 10 different ways while I tried to stifle my laughter

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 11, 2023

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

tonight's lesson: The proper way to leave the table is to ask "May I please be excused?", wipe your hands and face then take your plate to the kitchen.

It is not to yell "BYE BYE BOOTY-FACE" then run out of the room

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Xand_Man posted:

tonight's lesson: The proper way to leave the table is to ask "May I please be excused?", wipe your hands and face then take your plate to the kitchen.

It is not to yell "BYE BYE BOOTY-FACE" then run out of the room

Hard disagree here

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Xand_Man posted:

Kids + Organized Exercise is an amazing combination

I'd require stretch breaks during programming class, I'd run them through a few exercises and then let some students pick exercises.

Without fail, a boy would call "pushups!" because machismo

then I'd get a room of 10 kids completely failing to do an actual push-up in 10 different ways while I tried to stifle my laughter

We didn't know this going in but coach has a prosthetic leg. My kid has never seen someone with an amputation before so of course he asked a million questions.

Coach told him that a shark bit it off and the kids lost their god drat minds. My kid still won't stop talking about the shark.

He plays on a pro amputee team so he takes his leg off when it's time for him to run around and kick the ball which was pretty cool to watch, not gonna lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If you have a playground in your yard maybe go give it a once-over now that things are warm and your kids will be on it more.

I’m glad I caught that the main swing beam was rotted out in the middle before it broke while a kid was on it. :catstare: