Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

One of my parents' houses (sequential, not concurrent) had 1920s oak doors with inset brass handles. They were gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Tunicate posted:

Its so guests can keep an eye on the prostitutes while they poo poo

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've got this stupid load bearing girder in my basement that's about eyebrow height for me. Any recommendations for stuff to put on the lower edge so I'm not hitting my head on it the second I'm not thinking about it?

Cut open pool noodles are effective but ugly so I'm hoping for something a bit better/"natural" looking.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've got this stupid load bearing girder in my basement that's about eyebrow height for me. Any recommendations for stuff to put on the lower edge so I'm not hitting my head on it the second I'm not thinking about it?

Cut open pool noodles are effective but ugly so I'm hoping for something a bit better/"natural" looking.

You could get some white baby proofing strips. They're meant to go on the edges of tables etc.

https://amzn.to/40ReEgo

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BonoMan posted:

You could get some white baby proofing strips. They're meant to go on the edges of tables etc.

https://amzn.to/40ReEgo

Ooh that seems perfect, thanks. Now I just need to remember not to stand up directly underneath it (again.)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Alright now I've got this shelving thing I inherited long ago. I'm bad at guessing weights but I think it's anywhere from 30-40 pounds.

Originally (before I ever used it) it hung on the wall with a couple of these things which I think are called keyhole hangers?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Keyhole-Hanger/3306354

Will three of these along the back, hung on screws in the studs, be safe enough? Or maybe three along the top and another two about halfway down on the sides? Biggest issue is I can't tell how much space is actually there between the hole and the wall so maybe there's better hardware for this.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 9, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I think it depends on how much weight you expect to be putting on those things. The product you linked sounds like it's designed to support maybe 10-20 pounds per hangar (since it's designed for paintings, mirrors, etc). But that's just a guess, since I didn't see a weight rating on the product page.

A French cleat would be the ideal solution, though also probably overkill. In any case I would definitely want to go into studs instead of using drywall anchors.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think it depends on how much weight you expect to be putting on those things. The product you linked sounds like it's designed to support maybe 10-20 pounds per hangar (since it's designed for paintings, mirrors, etc). But that's just a guess, since I didn't see a weight rating on the product page.

A French cleat would be the ideal solution, though also probably overkill. In any case I would definitely want to go into studs instead of using drywall anchors.

Yeah the wall behind it is just thin wood paneling but the studs are directly accessible from the laundry room behind for measuring and whatnot.

Edit: If I'm reading things right, even a basic aluminum French cleat like this one will hold up to 200 lbs with just two studs? I can't imagine anything I put on the shelving would get it that heavy but it's nice having a higher limit.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 9, 2023

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Fake ivy and some little gnome statues with the dangly rope legs

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Paint the girder sides in black & yellow angled stripes & then "MAX HEADROOM" centered, in red.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

RGB LED strip so you can :pcgaming: out the room. Leave it blinking red or bonk the rainbow.
https://www.amazon.com/Changing-Control-Lighting-Flexible-Decoration/dp/B09V366BDY/

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The wood by my fireplace is starting to look uneven, I’m guessing from the house settling.

It’s easily seen in the picture. There is a nail where the head was raised about 1/8” and I was able to hammer that back in.

Any ideas how I could get the wood fixed? It’s not in a super inconvenient location and the only people who would go there are my kids who would stub their toes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nwin posted:

The wood by my fireplace is starting to look uneven, I’m guessing from the house settling.

It’s easily seen in the picture. There is a nail where the head was raised about 1/8” and I was able to hammer that back in.

Any ideas how I could get the wood fixed? It’s not in a super inconvenient location and the only people who would go there are my kids who would stub their toes.

Pop it out and glue it back down? If it's too thick, you can find someone with a surface planer and take some off the underside to give space for adequate glue.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also I'd reckon there's a little foundation movement that is causing the hearth to put a little bit of racking pressure on it and it popped up. I'd plane the left side of it down just a tad to give a little room for cyclic heaving and settling.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You could get a contractor to put wood around the whole thing, with rounded edges along the bottom. Box it in, so to speak. Would match the walls, and the wood would have just enough give so it's not threatening to crack your skull open if you do hit it.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

nwin posted:

Those planks can shrink and grow depending on moisture and heat. Since it's already popped out a bit, see if you can pull that piece off and assess what forces are moving it around. You may be able to sand it down a bit to fit, but ideally the wood should have room to expand and contract in a place that isn't as pronounced.

I know that in newer houses, you're supposed to allow a gap for the planks to expand and contract where it won't be noticed, usually under baseboards so that you won't see it. If that is, in fact, the case, my concern would be that if you sand it down to fit in that space now, in another six months, it may shrink and then you'll have a gap to contend with.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ant season is in full swing here, and I am tired of seeing them in the kitchen or near the dog's eating area. do working ant traps, bought or homemade, exist?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bloody posted:

ant season is in full swing here, and I am tired of seeing them in the kitchen or near the dog's eating area. do working ant traps, bought or homemade, exist?

Terro Ant Bait (in various form factors) works pretty well for us. It isn't a trap; it contains borax, which the ants eat and later die. It won't kill a major infestation, but it will kill the ants that make it into the house and discourage them from re-entering.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Terro traps work great

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I couldn't find anything to work until I found Advion Ant. It was a game changer. They disappeared in days, and 10 years later, we still don't see them.

https://www.domyown.com/advion-ant-bait-gel-p-932.html

Edit: It is a serious pesticide, though, follow instructions and wash well afterwards.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Not sure if it was mentioned but you could probably block the beam out with some two by or four by material. It would be expensive and you would need to check with an engineer to make sure you could drill through the steel, but it would provide you with not only something to nail to but the beginnings of a soffit system that would look nicer than just the standard steel.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Just cut out from the bottom whatever you need to clear it. Not like there’s a bathtub over it or something.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This is 100% honest: After finally sleeping after over 24hrs up (night shifts and some sleep issues) I had a nightmare last night that I had a home that was the combination of every hosed up thing in the last 25 pages of this thread. I woke up in my dream to find the drywall had fallen off and everything was rotting, the house "had shifted" and my dad was on the other side of the now visible studs in what looked like some kind of diablo 2 catacombs that my house had become.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

How many barn doors did it have?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mustache Ride posted:

How many barn doors did it have?

all of them

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I got a letter from my insurance company the other day with a list of items on my house that need to be tended to or my coverage may be affected. Some of it is legit, some is bullshit, and a couple things are completely not true (a non-existant broken window and imaginary branches touching my roof). It is like HOA levels of bullshit and I don't live in an HOA for exactly this reason. Anyway, one of the legit things on the list is the condition of my siding. I have that garbage 12" fiberboard siding on my house and a few pieces near the ground are in pretty bad shape. It will be 2-3 years until I can afford new siding for the whole house and detached garage, so I need a quick temporary fix that will last just a few years to keep the insurance company off my rear end. I have a table saw and miter saw, so cutting sheet goods to size is not a problem. What is my cheapest solution that isn't OSB?

Also, what is a good paintable caulking for siding and exterior trim?

For reference, this isn't my house, but it absolutely could be. My siding looks identical.
https://tulsarenew.com/2018/04/24/how-to-tell-if-your-home-has-problematic-hardboard-siding-and-what-to-do-about-it/

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Skunkduster posted:

I got a letter from my insurance company the other day with a list of items on my house that need to be tended to or my coverage may be affected. Some of it is legit, some is bullshit, and a couple things are completely not true (a non-existant broken window and imaginary branches touching my roof). It is like HOA levels of bullshit and I don't live in an HOA for exactly this reason. Anyway, one of the legit things on the list is the condition of my siding. I have that garbage 12" fiberboard siding on my house and a few pieces near the ground are in pretty bad shape. It will be 2-3 years until I can afford new siding for the whole house and detached garage, so I need a quick temporary fix that will last just a few years to keep the insurance company off my rear end. I have a table saw and miter saw, so cutting sheet goods to size is not a problem. What is my cheapest solution that isn't OSB?

Also, what is a good paintable caulking for siding and exterior trim?

For reference, this isn't my house, but it absolutely could be. My siding looks identical.
https://tulsarenew.com/2018/04/24/how-to-tell-if-your-home-has-problematic-hardboard-siding-and-what-to-do-about-it/
You can get thin fiber cement. If your type siding is common in your area, call around to a few building supply places and they will probably have a matching replacement.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Speaking of siding, I started to work on re-doing the vertical seam caulking for the hardiplank on the second floor today. Some of the caulk is starting to show gaps so it was time to get it corrected. Got about 30% done this afternoon and should hopefully get the rest done by the weekend. Not hard but annoying work with all the ladder moving.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

devmd01 posted:

Speaking of siding, I started to work on re-doing the vertical seam caulking for the hardiplank on the second floor today. Some of the caulk is starting to show gaps so it was time to get it corrected. Got about 30% done this afternoon and should hopefully get the rest done by the weekend. Not hard but annoying work with all the ladder moving.

Are you caulking the butt joints between boards? If so why?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I think they make/sell caulk that matches the paint on/in the hardi so you can get a seamless look.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

skipdogg posted:

Because as far as I can tell I don’t have joint flashing behind them.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Crosspost from the landscaping thread:

Eason the Fifth posted:

My house is built perpendicular on a hillside and has a mossy stone trench on one side meant to keep the grade away from the foundation. (Picture below.) Someone put some big rocks in the trench and kinda lined the top but I'm wondering what I can do to blend the trench into the landscape or hide it in some way. Can i put a thin layer of gravel or decorative stone in there? Or what are some other options?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dig down another few feet, drop in a pond liner and you got yourself a pretty sweet moat going there.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I just noticed some damage on my house from the storm a week and a half ago! (To be fair, we were on vacation all last week soooo..)

This pieces of siding got partially pulled out by the weight of the snow on the cable/phone/fiber lines running to it.

If this didn't have the wires running to it, it wouldn't be a problem: pull the whole piece, clean it up, re-nail, caulk, paint. But how the heck do I handle this with the wires all attached? Do I need to get centurylink and xfinity to come out here (lmao been trying to get them to do that for _another_ wire that's hanging low across the yard since we got home)? Should they fix this since it's their wires that pulled it off?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

They’ll reset the wires & anchors but won’t touch the siding.

It’s a covered loss (weight ice/snow, or wind even) but I’d get an estimate first.

Bonus if they relocate those strain anchors to an actual framing member.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Yeah, we got about $500 worth of downed trees and fence damage, but our deductible for storm damage is $1000.

I think I'll just get them to reset/move the anchors and fix it myself.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Elder Postsman posted:

Yeah, we got about $500 worth of downed trees and fence damage, but our deductible for storm damage is $1000.

I think I'll just get them to reset/move the anchors and fix it myself.

Just take it down and put it back up yourself, it will save you a boatload of time waiting for the provider to show up (lol)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Permit time. Got blessed by the Township with no issue. HOA is throwing static about nonsense, but I think that's sorted.

Time for the County. I poured through every document they had listed. I downloaded the application form yesterday and filled it out, filled out the checklist, had two copies of all documents and PDFs on two USB drives. About 15 pages of documents, I'm pretty comfortable with it.

Then, I drive the half-hour to the code compliance office and I'm immediately handed a sheet that as of April 3, they are no longer accepting in person submissions and it must be done online in the form they specify.

Where do the government stereotypes come from?

Anyway, hopefully it'll get approved, their turnaround is 3-5 days. I'd love to be cutting come concrete next week.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Dig down another few feet, drop in a pond liner and you got yourself a pretty sweet moat going there.

Speaking of moats, winter is finally ending here and the damage is revealing itself. Aside from about 20 mangled aspens, this is the most notable, as my moat has receded

I don't know how deep those footings are but I'm very skeptical that they're anywhere close to deep enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Steve French posted:

Speaking of moats, winter is finally ending here and the damage is revealing itself. Aside from about 20 mangled aspens, this is the most notable, as my moat has receded

I don't know how deep those footings are but I'm very skeptical that they're anywhere close to deep enough.

Yikes, those are not footings, they are deck blocks.