Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i love hibari's design, thanks for listening everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Out of the members present, Pizarro is the only one who seems really concerned about following Blackbeard's orders and protecting the town. Big change of attitude from when he was first introduced, where he brazenly/jokingly asked Blackbeard to let him be captain.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wouldn't get too excited about what Garp will be doing after this arc. Just saying...

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So this is an actual break week, but the week after next is a Shonen Jump break, so we might still get a speed scan that week, right?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

yum posted:

Out of the members present, Pizarro is the only one who seems really concerned about following Blackbeard's orders and protecting the town. Big change of attitude from when he was first introduced, where he brazenly/jokingly asked Blackbeard to let him be captain.

Dude is literally an island and Blackbeard has earthquake powers, I'd try not to piss him off too

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't really think it's bad narratively.
This is a really good take on Garp and his motivations. There's a lot of things he could do, but then what? He believes in the Navy, and he actually does so for the right reasons. The decision to execute Ace put him in an impossible position. He may have made a bad decision, but anything he chose to do would be a bad decision.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

even when driven to the absolute limit all garp was willing to do was go "hold me back bro" and stand by. that's the most you can ever expect of garp, even if he was ordered to do a buster call or serve as an enforcer for the celestial dragons without a few layers of abstraction to make it more palatable. he's fully aware of all the corruption, oppression, slavery and genocide the marines do. but due to his accomplishments and rank he has the leisure to turn away and pretend it isn't happening. we don't know exactly how he justifies it, and likely never will. fortunately for garp, there are more than enough pirates to have unambiguously just fights with until he dies. for the rest, he can foist all the responsibility off on koby.
This is a really bad take on Garp and his motivations.

He may be aware of the oppression, slavery, and genocide that the World Government does and the Navy backs, but he's also aware of the oppression, slavery and slaughter that the pirates do and the Navy fights against. The world, as presented, does not need the World Government, but as long as there are people like Kaido and Blackbeard, it does need the Navy.

Garp doesn't know how to fix the world, but he does know that a Navy without principles is only going to be a force for oppression. He can see it right now, all the time. He does understand how horrific the Navy is, and what it supports. But his way of fighting against it is to change its culture. To make sure the next generation of Marines aren't burnt out cynical enforcers, but that the light of justice and the ideals of selfless service that should be more prominent in the Navy don't die out.

He's not just foisting the responsibility on Koby. Koby is the key to everything. He needs to continue to be be a role model to inspire the next generation to do better. To the end he has to balance his insubordination in the face of injustice with a continued dedication to the organization's real mission.

You might be saying that's naive and ultimately harmful since the Navy is inherently oppressive and bolstering it in any way is complicity, but you should at least see that this is how Garp sees it. He's not just avoiding what is difficult and taking the easy way out. He is actively trying to fix the things he can in the only ways he knows how.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I like Garp because he punches really really well and strong

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
How does the mechanic of Pizzaro being an island and also not being able to be in seawater work? I'm imagining he just has the upgraded version of whatever Pica's fruit is, but like... He can't actually be the island right?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

devil fruits work how people think they work. how do you think it works?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

devil fruits work how people think they work. how do you think it works?
Like Krakoa. He awakens the power to induce lunar polycules.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

How does the mechanic of Pizzaro being an island and also not being able to be in seawater work? I'm imagining he just has the upgraded version of whatever Pica's fruit is, but like... He can't actually be the island right?
The island is the part above the water. If there weren't any part of it above the water, it wouldn't be an island, it would be a seamount.

You could probably find some scientific definition that refers to the rock supporting the island beneath the ocean as part of the island in some meaningful way, but that's not the definition that Pizzaro's fruit uses. Island = land surrounded by water, which is to say land that is not under water.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
TBH the island fruit doesn't seem like it's too crazy strong. We already dealt with the similar fruit Pica had, although this one probably doesn't have the weakness of having your normal human-sized body floating around in there vulnerable, it's probably more like a dirt logia. That being said:

1. It's presumably completely worthless while on a boat, like you get the seawater weakness with no power to offset that unless you're on solid land.

2. You're probably still weak to all the usual haki-related fruit weaknesses, which might mean you become an island-sized target if someone is strong-willed enough to hit you.

3. Tied to the boat weakness, travelling is probably a huge pain. The island man loses outright if you can just sail away.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Gyges posted:

Honestly I'm hope-expecting Garp and Sword to change sides in the climactic fight just because there's a lot of government dickheads who would look real cool getting decked by Garp. Like, Luffy punching Akainu is cool but Garp punching him is Round 2 of One Piece's examination of what happens when an old badass officially runs out of bubblegum to chew.

I want a quintuple panel of Luffy, Garp, Koby, Dragon, and Sabo all punching important Celestials in like a simultaneous and parallel line.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I imagine when he fuses to the Island his body is in the area were fused to the place (like Pica). The Island itself is not his body.

LanceKing2200 posted:

TBH the island fruit doesn't seem like it's too crazy strong. We already dealt with the similar fruit Pica had, although this one probably doesn't have the weakness of having your normal human-sized body floating around in there vulnerable

His regular body is probably there. Pretty sure that was his actual head on the floor in the skull rock.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I imagine when he fuses to the Island his body is in the area were fused to the place (like Pica). The Island itself is not his body.

Yeah it's probably that but unlike Pica only fusing with the stone it probably can select a larger area and other materials like trees and rivers.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i imagine hes just a pica thats not confined to stone

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i agree with those dudes

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
pizzaro pen island fruit

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Forget the devil fruit/ocean issues, we're all forgetting the most basic question:

does he poop?

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

this explains the penis we saw from our submarine

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Plutonis posted:

So doing some talking and I think the Strawhat lineup against the Ten Titanic captains will be the following

Luffy vs Blackbeard (duh)

Zoro vs Shillew (first mate vs first mate)

Sanji vs Vasco Shot (food vs booze)

Nami vs Catarina Devon (beauty vs beauty hunter)

Usopp vs Van Augur (sniper vs sniper)

Chopper vs Doc Q (doctor vs doctor)

Franky vs Wolf (ship disassembler vs colossal battleship)

Robin vs Pizarro (light of the revolution vs corrupt king)

Brook vs Lafitte (Musician vs Dancer)

Jinbe vs Burgess (Martial Arts: Jujutsu vs Wrestling)

I think we're going to get Brook vs. Pizarro for some skull on skull violence

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Violen posted:

i imagine hes just a pica thats not confined to stone

Yeah, fusing with the entirety of the island is probably the real reason he's the only one arguing against just destroying things. He's couching it as Captain's orders to try and give more weight to his desire to not get hurt by blowing up parts of what he's possessing.

It probably doesn't affect his "real" body but stings a little at a volume comparable to the damage to the island.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Eiba posted:

Forget the devil fruit/ocean issues, we're all forgetting the most basic question:

does he poop?

How do you think new islands are made?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One Piece of poop

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Gyges posted:

Yeah, fusing with the entirety of the island is probably the real reason he's the only one arguing against just destroying things. He's couching it as Captain's orders to try and give more weight to his desire to not get hurt by blowing up parts of what he's possessing.

It probably doesn't affect his "real" body but stings a little at a volume comparable to the damage to the island.

He does mention feeling stuff in his "heart" at one point, or shoulder, some body part. Which is then revealed to be the destruction that Koby's escape is causing.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Does the island man feel people peeing and pooping on him?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lord_Magmar posted:

He does mention feeling stuff in his "heart" at one point, or shoulder, some body part. Which is then revealed to be the destruction that Koby's escape is causing.

Got to admit when I first saw that speech bubble I thought,"Oh poo poo, has Bege infiltrated Blackbeard's Organization?"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Nessus posted:

Like Krakoa. He awakens the power to induce lunar polycules.

He makes the moons gently caress?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I don't see why Pizarro would have any issues with the island being touched by water - Pica wasn't affected by damage to his extra stone "body", after all. It seems more like the additional body is material being controlled by the user.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Crazyeyes posted:

it loving sucks don’t think about it

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Punching things is the most powerful attack in one piece

Ronnz
Mar 6, 2010
Man I gotta say, having a corrupt and probably cruel king that literally is the island you live on sounds like it loving sucks.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

There's a piece of special floaty wood under the island

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Cat Machine posted:

There's a piece of special floaty wood under the island

hosed up if true.

Wonder how Moria is going to figure into this. Clearly he's been kept in the story for a reason. Lol if secret 10th Captain.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crazyeyes posted:

hosed up if true.

Wonder how Moria is going to figure into this. Clearly he's been kept in the story for a reason. Lol if secret 10th Captain.

I'm telling you all, the Dark-Dark Fruit is subject to his shadow powers and he's actually puppeteering Blackbeard's corpse!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Crazyeyes posted:

hosed up if true.

got captured by blackbeard, isnt happy with it especially after losing absolom -> sides with either buggy or luffy to get back at him

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

anime was right posted:

got captured by blackbeard, isnt happy with it especially after losing absolom -> sides with either buggy or luffy to get back at him

Luffy clapping Kaido's cheeks probably would make up for wrecking his Zombie crew plans as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Luffy clapping Kaido's cheeks

Have I been wildly misunderstanding what this phrase means for the last couple of years? :ohdear:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Have I been wildly misunderstanding what this phrase means for the last couple of years? :ohdear:

no, but it can also just mean 'hosed them up'.' But I'm sure that plutonis didn't mean it that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

anime was right posted:

Hmmmmm...