Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

Well, there are orange tanks around:

(Dutch army, painted to support the Dutch team for a world cup, the text says "Proud of our guys")

Someday I will build a Leopard in that color with that text on it.

Can't lie, that looks pretty sick with or without a backstory. We need more garish fashion tanks. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

RillAkBea posted:

Can't lie, that looks pretty sick with or without a backstory. We need more garish fashion tanks. :swoon:
Stompie the tank has worn multiple garish fashion paint jobs over the years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandela_Way_T-34_Tank

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good piece of reference material to keep around for paint mixing? I've read some guides online, but I'd honestly kinda like a little pocket book or poster I can keep in my hobby room to remind me about how paints mix for different colors and effects.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A few weeks ago I complained about Odenkan lacquer having bubble issues. Today I painted two spoons that I left unprimed and cleaned with alcohol before spraying. I left the Odenkan quite a bit thinner, because the problem is more pronounced with thin paint. The one on the left is Mr. Hobby, the one on the right is Odenkan.

At the thickness I use for actual painting, the bubbles aren't as pronounced as on this test spoon, which I very much overthinned. But they are still there.

...oh, and in desperation I thought maybe the problem is air in the paint, so I stuck it in my vacuum chamber. Nothing happened, until I tapped the gague, and a geyser of paint shot all over the inside of my chamber. Which, of everything I thought could happen, that wasn't it. Blasted about half the pot all over the chamber. I've seen violent degassing, but never explosive degassing.

Misadventures with pressure chambers non-withstanding, I think the key may be 'keying' the piece with a thin, tacky spray first before doing the actual coating. It seemed to behave better that way. Primer doesn't do the trick, it's gotta be the actual paint.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Warmachine posted:

A few weeks ago I complained about Odenkan lacquer having bubble issues. Today I painted two spoons that I left unprimed and cleaned with alcohol before spraying. I left the Odenkan quite a bit thinner, because the problem is more pronounced with thin paint. The one on the left is Mr. Hobby, the one on the right is Odenkan.

At the thickness I use for actual painting, the bubbles aren't as pronounced as on this test spoon, which I very much overthinned. But they are still there.

...oh, and in desperation I thought maybe the problem is air in the paint, so I stuck it in my vacuum chamber. Nothing happened, until I tapped the gague, and a geyser of paint shot all over the inside of my chamber. Which, of everything I thought could happen, that wasn't it. Blasted about half the pot all over the chamber. I've seen violent degassing, but never explosive degassing.

Misadventures with pressure chambers non-withstanding, I think the key may be 'keying' the piece with a thin, tacky spray first before doing the actual coating. It seemed to behave better that way. Primer doesn't do the trick, it's gotta be the actual paint.

I'm not familiar with Odekan but it sounds like it's a spray paint? The bubbling to me looks like it's being sprayed on too heavy. I would get the results with Tamiya rattle cans when I accidentally overdid it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
have you tested it on a spare sprue? The whiteness of the bubbles has me thinking the lacquer might be reacting to the spoon’s plastic

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

I'm not familiar with Odekan but it sounds like it's a spray paint? The bubbling to me looks like it's being sprayed on too heavy. I would get the results with Tamiya rattle cans when I accidentally overdid it.

This is kinda why I came to the conclusion I did. Ultimately keying first leads to what amounts to 'lighter' coats. It might just be that Mr Color is more forgiving of bad technique.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

have you tested it on a spare sprue? The whiteness of the bubbles has me thinking the lacquer might be reacting to the spoon’s plastic

It's not this--I get the same result on primed parts, where the bubbles will be gray instead of white, showing the primer underneath. The original plastic color never comes through. It just showed up more dramatically on the spoon. I have a quite a few more pieces to do in this color, so I should be able to narrow it down on those.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Slowly getting there. Gotta figure out how those legs sit in the torso. Then it’s masking, putty, and sanding before priming

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Warmachine posted:

This is kinda why I came to the conclusion I did. Ultimately keying first leads to what amounts to 'lighter' coats. It might just be that Mr Color is more forgiving of bad technique.

You also have to consider that Mr. Color has just been around that much longer that they've already worked out any problems in their formulas and have only been improving on them since.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

For fans of the best cars and best drivers in modern F1 history, these are both coming soon

https://twitter.com/ItaleriModelKit/status/1643477186131681281

quote:

After the FIA introduced new engine regulations for Formula 1 cars in late 1987, teams using turbocharged engines encountered some difficulties. The FIA not only tightened restrictions on turbocharged engines, but also decided to officially ban them in 1989. While most teams turned to naturally aspirated engines after receiving the new regulations, McLaren's designers saw a different side of the turbocharged engines. With the idea that the center of gravity and drag of a Formula 1 car would get lower and smaller, McLaren lowered the vehicle as much as possible, lengthened the front and changed the driver's seat angle from 45 degrees to 30 degrees. At the same time, McLaren started cooperation with Honda. The RA168E turbocharged engine was perfectly integrated with the bodywork design. Thus a very competitive racing car, the McLaren MP4/4 was born.

The drivers who made the McLaren MP4/4 a true legend were the genius Ayrton Senna and "The Professor" Alain Prost. Driven by these two top drivers, the McLaren MP4/4 took most victories in 1988. The two drivers took turns to take the victories. In this season, Senna won his first Formula 1 World Drivers' Championship and McLaren won Formula 1 World Constructors’ Championship with a total of 199 points. A legend was born!

Licensed by McLaren Racing Limited, MENG will soon release a large scale racing car model kit, the RS-004 1/12 McLaren MP4/4 1988. The finished model will be 367mm long and 177mm wide. This kit includes fine decals, carbon-fiber decals and also metallic effect decals. You have the options to build the model as the car driven by Ayrton Senna or Alain Prost. Let's take a look at the details of this kit.

RS-004 McLaren MP4/4 1988
Scale: 1/12
Available in: July 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm kinda interested in seeing everyone's 'work' setups. I feel like half the fun I'm having right now is building up my workspace and getting tools, organizing it (or at least figuring out the plan for this) and slowly making my hobby setup more and more professional as I work and go "Oh, I really wish I had <something>." This is more or less what I have right now. I want to get rid of that desk and replace it with a proper workbench--I hate the drawer caddy but the thing is an Office Depot special and the caddy is structural. For as much structure as MDF has, anyway. Ideally I want to replace it with something that has a built-in pegboard. I just don't know if I want to try and build that myself, or buy an off the shelf solution.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Warmachine posted:

I'm kinda interested in seeing everyone's 'work' setups. I feel like half the fun I'm having right now is building up my workspace and getting tools....

Oh lordy... This is from some time back, and it's even more packed with stuff I have no proper place to store now, and the rolling cabinet got moved out of the room to make room for a big project that I still haven't really gotten started because life keeps getting in the way and I just don't have the time.

I first started just working on the kitchen table, but that morphed into a single workbench in my office/library...

I received a 2nd workbench as a gift from my brother for Christmas, so I moved into that other room after cleaning it out, and then after fighting the carpet monster for a bit I moved everything out and ripped the carpet out and put down the hardwood flooring, and then things just snowballed.

Now I'm sad that I never really have any time to spend in there.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Locator posted:

Oh lordy... This is from some time back, and it's even more packed with stuff I have no proper place to store now, and the rolling cabinet got moved out of the room to make room for a big project that I still haven't really gotten started because life keeps getting in the way and I just don't have the time.

I first started just working on the kitchen table, but that morphed into a single workbench in my office/library...

I received a 2nd workbench as a gift from my brother for Christmas, so I moved into that other room after cleaning it out, and then after fighting the carpet monster for a bit I moved everything out and ripped the carpet out and put down the hardwood flooring, and then things just snowballed.

Now I'm sad that I never really have any time to spend in there.

Yeah, yeah that's my dream right there. Did you (or your brother) build your workbenches?

I'd really love to get my own bench tools, especially a lathe, table saw, and press, at some point. I've still got a while before I get to the point where I'd be using them comfortably, but these past four months I've been having a blast--so much so that I barely play video games anymore. I'm at the point where if/when I move again, a must-have is a dedicated space for my hobby workroom. Ideally one with heating and cooling and outlets. (That 'mudroom' has no outlets and is well-ventilated in that all those storm windows have gaps.)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, yeah that's my dream right there. Did you (or your brother) build your workbenches?

Nah.. if I remember right those are from Home Depot? Not sure where to be honest, but they are definitely purchased, as was all the furniture in that room. All those light colored work-tops and the white drawers are from IKEA.

Edit: Also on the dream part, it's a trade-off I suppose to being older (late 50's) and single with a good job. I can waste my money on whatever I decide I want to.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Please don't tell anyone how I live.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 11, 2023

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Warmachine posted:

I'm kinda interested in seeing everyone's 'work' setups.

This is mine, luckily I just did a general cleanup the other day.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

One day I’d love to have such a big setup

As for my own I only just started but it’s kind of startling how quickly it’s kind of grown already:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I see you snuck into my house and stole my lights somehow.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I use a Walmart folding table 🤷

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Amazing weathering.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Cleaning up your workbench is for cowards.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

Cleaning up your workbench is for cowards.

And yet you've clearly changed your booth filter. :colbert:

Not pictured in mine is also the under-the-table cardboard trash box. Why buy a wastebasket or trash can when you're ordering enough from everywhere constantly to just have infinity cardboard boxes laying around.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If I’m airbrushing everything but small details, which I’d paint with Vallejo model colors, would a wet palette be worth it or since I’m not brush painting large areas will a tile and a water pot be more the route to take

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If I’m airbrushing everything but small details, which I’d paint with Vallejo model colors, would a wet palette be worth it or since I’m not brush painting large areas will a tile and a water pot be more the route to take

Tile and a pot of water works for me.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Here's a video from the same guy who did that excellent paint thinning informational video. Same quality of "why" and "how."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLcuicvJFKo

I think the tl;dr here is that a tile/'dry' palette works fine for one-off work like this. What it solves is keeping your paint at the same consistency across a painting session. You probably won't see a major effect from switching to a wet palette if your hand painting is finishing before you see significant changes in paint consistency.

That said, there's probably no reason not to use a wet palette since you can make them on the cheap. A plastic container, some paper towels, and a sheet of parchment paper is not exactly an investment.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Posted a few months ago as well but here's my workbench. The only changes since then are the addition of an extra Tamiya A4 cutting mat and some more paints, glues and kits:

The drawers contain paints:

As well as the instructions for finished kits, spare parts and leftover decals, pipettes, supplies such as masking tape and other random things that I don't need directly.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gotta LOL in pure respect at the ingenuity to use a music stand to hold instructions.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I still have a couple of mechanical niggles to sort out but I'm happy to call it finished.

Of course as is typical now I actually have proper smoke fluid and had the exhaust kicking out some wonderful smoke, the smoke unit has failed. They're known for being noisy, lovely and generally unreliable so when I have a bit of spare cash I'll chuck an upgraded one in.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I don’t know why but those Revel paint Pots feel so German to me.

It’s probably the part where they do it differently than everyone else, and it’s not actually better but it looks more organized OCD compliant.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

Posted a few months ago as well but here's my workbench. The only changes since then are the addition of an extra Tamiya A4 cutting mat and some more paints, glues and kits:

The drawers contain paints:

As well as the instructions for finished kits, spare parts and leftover decals, pipettes, supplies such as masking tape and other random things that I don't need directly.

I am deeply envious of the brightness of the room overall. It's clean, functional, and organized, so the brightness of the room adds to the cheerful tone of the whole setup. Even when my room is clean and organized, it still feels tight, constrained, and dark.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Of course as is typical now I actually have proper smoke fluid and had the exhaust kicking out some wonderful smoke, the smoke unit has failed. They're known for being noisy, lovely and generally unreliable so when I have a bit of spare cash I'll chuck an upgraded one in.
You're going to post some video of it smoking once you get that fixed, right?

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Gewehr 43 posted:

I am deeply envious of the brightness of the room overall. It's clean, functional, and organized, so the brightness of the room adds to the cheerful tone of the whole setup. Even when my room is clean and organized, it still feels tight, constrained, and dark.

Well it's effectively a secondary living room in the house: The top floor is its own separate apartment with a small kitchen, bathroom and bed area, and there's balconies on both sides with glass doors (South and north) and a window on the west side. It does get dark in the winters and if it's cloudy though, but that ceiling light is a nice 4000K light bar that provides sufficient illumination to work with. All the pictures I've posted in the past few months of finished builds were taken mainly without flash on that same desk.

Also this is on the other side:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

That fuckin' rules, but I'd probably never get any model-building or really any other kind of work done.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Warmachine posted:

I'd really love to get my own bench tools, especially a lathe, table saw, and press, at some point. I've still got a while before I get to the point where I'd be using them comfortably, but these past four months I've been having a blast--so much so that I barely play video games anymore. I'm at the point where if/when I move again, a must-have is a dedicated space for my hobby workroom. Ideally one with heating and cooling and outlets. (That 'mudroom' has no outlets and is well-ventilated in that all those storm windows have gaps.)

They look very similar to Rockler benches. My father purchased me one a few years ago and I really like it!

https://www.rockler.com/beech-wood-workbenches-beech-wood-workbenches

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vorenus posted:

There's an absolutely gorgeous Bandai kit called the M61A5, and I desperately want to buy and build it. Unfortunately, (I'm assuming due to rarity) it makes GW stuff look quite reasonable at $240.

Following up on this from a few weeks ago, I decided to go take a look at Dalong to get a look at this kit because I would really like to have it. So if anyone wants a look inside the box, here you go.

http://dalong.net/reviews/etc/uh6/uh6_i.htm

edit: I also stumbled across an armor modeler's take on the kit and it's kinda cute watching armor folks gush about the fitment of Bandai kits. Here it is in its Web 1.0 glory: https://modelingmadness.com/review/misc/scifi/ewaldsftank.htm

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 11, 2023

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

They look very similar to Rockler benches. My father purchased me one a few years ago and I really like it!

https://www.rockler.com/beech-wood-workbenches-beech-wood-workbenches

Pretty sure mine are these ones at about 1/3 the Rockler price.

https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in...YBoCbegQAvD_BwE

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

This is the present state of my model bench, although I did tidy it up a bit as my gf needed to use the cutting mats for actual cutting rather than storing half-finished kits scattered about on them.

I think I'm going to get some more of the EBMA Hobby units soon and complete the semi circle around the right hand side of the bench with extra storage. I upgraded to a Benchvent spraybooth a while back after my wee ubiquitious foldup booth finally fell apart and it's great, and I can pop the skylight and drop the hose straight out there.

I'm currently working on a 1:1 scale cat

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Are you sure? Appears to be some sort of furry loaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Lol

'workbench'