Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Amazon has Homegrown Horrors vol 1 for $34.99 through a seller called "OCN Distribution". Anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth the possible annoyance of having to return it? It seems that the negative reviews of this seller is they don't always include the slipcovers, which isn't necessarily a deal breaker...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

is that Millenium Mambo blu-ray? or UHD? I'd really love a UHD of that one.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Homeybeef posted:

Amazon has Homegrown Horrors vol 1 for $34.99 through a seller called "OCN Distribution". Anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth the possible annoyance of having to return it? It seems that the negative reviews of this seller is they don't always include the slipcovers, which isn't necessarily a deal breaker...

Ocn distribution is the company that manages vinsyn and partner labels shipping iirc.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

OMG GREENAWAY YESSSSSS

would kill for the similar treatment of the cook. please, please, please. even though i’m not sure i can ever watch that film again…

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Windmilling like I'm in the pit 'cause they started finally releasing Greenaway discs stateside in 2023. :blastu:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Agreed on the Tarantino love, Video Archives podcast is a lotta fun for sure. Just non-stop movie enthusiasm.

For Death Proof I prefer the shorter Grindhouse version, but I do dig it. I adore Planet Terror, one of Rodriguez's finest. Right up there with Hobo with a Shotgun for 2000s classics of that style.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

abelwingnut posted:

OMG GREENAWAY YESSSSSS

would kill for the similar treatment of the cook. please, please, please. even though i’m not sure i can ever watch that film again…

I watched my first Greenway flick last weekend with Drowning By Numbers. I’d blind buy anymore of his movies as soon as I could.

OT: is it possible to play external subtitle files when a disc is played? My region free player is up and running but this Australian blu ray release of Slither doesn’t have subs and the 5.1 mix is dead quiet on my soundbar with no other audio track besides the commentary. I really have to crank the audio to just hear dialogue.

poo poo sucks. Give me 2.1 audio mixes already please.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Got an email this morning from Arrow Video that my pre-order of The Streetfighter Trilogy just shipped, a week before release date.

The only shame is that I'm likely to be out of town when it arrives, so my housemate will have to leave it in my room for me.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
It looks like Vinegar Syndrome reviews are live'ish you can read them but can't submit one on the website. Instead they sent me an email asking for a review of Freeway 2 with a form to fill out.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was able to leave a review in the app, but I don't know when/if the points are coming.

Freeway 2 and Antibirth would be an excellent Scumbag Natasha Lyonne double feach.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Heavy Metal posted:

Agreed on the Tarantino love, Video Archives podcast is a lotta fun for sure. Just non-stop movie enthusiasm.

I also gotta throw in a rec for Tarantino's book Cinema Speculation. It's just shamelessly enthusiastic for film and it's surprisingly insightful, too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino Lorber just announced....

The Draughtman's Contract - June 13
- 4K restoration by BFI
- Commentary by Peter Greenaway
- Video introduction (10 min)
- Deleted scenes
- Behind the scenes/interviews
- Interview with Michael Nyman
- Short films: Intervals, Windows, Dear Phone, Water Wrackets
- Trailer

saw this restoration on the big screen last month, it looks fantastic, also this is a 10/10 brilliant movie if you've never seen it. FFO: Barry Lyndon

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

TheMopeSquad posted:

It looks like Vinegar Syndrome reviews are live'ish you can read them but can't submit one on the website. Instead they sent me an email asking for a review of Freeway 2 with a form to fill out.

I was able to submit one through the app, but it hasn't posted yet because apparently they verify and approve each one.

I don't know how well they thought out the points for reviews though because I've seen a review already that just says "good". That doesn't really seem worthy of giving out points to.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Egbert Souse posted:

A Zed and Two Noughts/The Fall: Two Films by Peter Greenaway - June 20
- Commentary by Peter Greenaway on A Zed and Two Noughts
- Video introductions
- Short films: Vertical Features Remake, H is for House, A Walk Through H
- Video pieces by Greenaway on the films
- Trailer

Millennium Mambo - June 27
zed and two noughts is v good but holy poo poo i'll be there for the falls on blu

might blind buy millennium mambo too

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Millenium Mambo is worth a blind buy.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Ocn distribution is the company that manages vinsyn and partner labels shipping iirc.

That makes sense after looking at the rest of their Amazon store. I'm guessing this is where they sell returns or cancelled orders. I went ahead and ordered and will report back when it delivers next week.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Liar Lyre posted:

I remember watching the commentary for all my movies, now I barely watch my movies in the first place. :smith:

I used to rip the commentary tracks from DVDs, convert into mp3 and listen during my commute.

Now I get annoyed if the 4Ks I buy have any extras, because it's just more stuff I will never, ever watch or listen to.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Pro move: only watch movie with the commentary instead of watching it twice.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

TheMopeSquad posted:

Pro move: only watch movie with the commentary instead of watching it twice.

Watch the movie with original audio but the commentary subtitles.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Kubo and the Two Strings UHD looks so good.

The Box Trolls was good wasn't it? I never saw it but I'm tempted to blind buy it after watching Kubo.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I didn’t like Boxtrolls as much as a liked Kubo or Coraline but they’re all excellent high movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, it’s just as well made as the rest of the Laika stuff. I just wasn’t into the story at all and found it kinda dull.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

The Box Trolls was good wasn't it? I never saw it but I'm tempted to blind buy it after watching Kubo.

If you do end up buying it, make sure to stay for the post-credit scene

Thatoaklandkid
May 21, 2006
Second Sight Texas Chainsaw Massacre arrived, truly a beauty imo. Bring on Picnic at Hanging Rock next month

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I’ve never watched it because the animation thread has talked in length about the regressive themes in that film. Something to do with adopted families don’t matter and can never be as good as genetic families.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Did anyone manage to get a corrected 12 monkeys from arrow? Hamilton Books only had the 1st pressing. The copy of Donnie Darko I also grabbed appears to be a fixed new SKU at least, but the form for a replacement for monkeys being gone has me pessimistic that they'll reply to my ticket on that one.

40 missing seconds isn't the worst thing I guess... w o m p

e:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1646885162125258752

god help me i'm going to end up buying this hosed up movie, i know it...genital mutilation is one of the few things that leaves me shook in film..lookin' at you antichrist

haven't seen this one in years, might not be as messed up as i remember

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 14, 2023

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hyped for Doom Generation 'cause it came out during the two weeks I went to high school getting into fist-fights on a daily basis for being the weird queer kid, it was extremely my poo poo.

But Smiley Face is still Gregg Araki's masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UBBcYGJkno

EDIT: gently caress YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 4K

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 14, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

caligulamprey posted:

Hyped for Doom Generation 'cause it came out during the two weeks I went to high school getting into fist-fights on a daily basis for being the weird queer kid, it was extremely my poo poo.

But Smiley Face is still Gregg Araki's masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UBBcYGJkno

Somehow I've never seen this one, everything from mean streets on yeah. (e: oh interesting, its 1985, thought this was 70s!)

e2: drat, there's more then I thought..haven't seen this, kundun, boxcar, who's that knocking, and the age of innocence...any of these bangers?

Also, I remember really liking smiley face until the end makes it seem like an anti-weed PSA..but I saw it when it came out so maybe I'm off

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 14, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

AGFA is VS's partner label spotlight this weekend, so all their titles there that are in stock are half off this weekend. If you were thinking about the McPherson Tape or any of the Doris Wishman sets, for example, now's your chance

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

AGFA rarely disappoints. Sure, the quality of the video is hit or miss due to being old and very lo-fi, the the DIY charm of the movies outshines any issue. gently caress the Devil and Scary Tales are two in particular I really enjoyed. The AGFA Horror Trailer Show is another unique oddity, being basically a compilation of trailers for increasingly bizarre films.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liar Lyre posted:

AGFA rarely disappoints. Sure, the quality of the video is hit or miss due to being old and very lo-fi, the the DIY charm of the movies outshines any issue. gently caress the Devil and Scary Tales are two in particular I really enjoyed. The AGFA Horror Trailer Show is another unique oddity, being basically a compilation of trailers for increasingly bizarre films.

Yeah, the AGFA Horror Trailer Show rules. If there wasn't an ongoing plague, it would be one of those great things to throw on the TV during a party, or to project behind a garage band.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
For AGFA I’d highly recommend:

Drug Stories - A whole collection of really fun vintage anti-drug PSAs that you can watch either on their own in full or edited into a feature-length compilation. Also includes a whole filmed presentation from the woman who apparently inspired Amy Sedaris’ character from Strangers with Candy

Seven to One/Shaolin Invincibles - Two crunchy scans of Taiwanese flicks from the 70s. Seven to One is a solid martial arts flick with lots of very unexpected needle drops. Shaolin Invincibles is just Dracula snake tongue and gorilla themed insanity.

The McPherson Tape - No-budget home video “found footage” movie of a UFO encounter that spooks a family in the middle of nowhere. Surprisingly effective at building tension and it’s a fun little time capsule of 80s/90s UFO obsession.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

caligulamprey posted:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Now just give me a proper Sony Taxi Driver 4K release and Bringing Out the Dead UHD.

those are my top three Scorcese of all time

Bringing Out the Dead
Taxi Driver
After Hours

dorium fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 14, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Taxi Driver UHD can be yours for the low low price of about $150

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Taxi Driver UHD can be yours for the low low price of about $150

I know :cry:

Oh gently caress, buried the lede on One False Move as well. Blu-Ray and UHD.

dorium fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 14, 2023

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

zer0spunk posted:

Somehow I've never seen this one, everything from mean streets on yeah. (e: oh interesting, its 1985, thought this was 70s!)

e2: drat, there's more then I thought..haven't seen this, kundun, boxcar, who's that knocking, and the age of innocence...any of these bangers?

Also, I remember really liking smiley face until the end makes it seem like an anti-weed PSA..but I saw it when it came out so maybe I'm off

I just got Age of Innocence and it's very good

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

dorium posted:

I know :cry:

Oh gently caress, buried the lede on One False Move as well. Blu-Ray and UHD.

YES! Saw this last year. It rips. Bill Paxton deserved more roles!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For AGFA I’d highly recommend:

Drug Stories - A whole collection of really fun vintage anti-drug PSAs that you can watch either on their own in full or edited into a feature-length compilation. Also includes a whole filmed presentation from the woman who apparently inspired Amy Sedaris’ character from Strangers with Candy

Seven to One/Shaolin Invincibles - Two crunchy scans of Taiwanese flicks from the 70s. Seven to One is a solid martial arts flick with lots of very unexpected needle drops. Shaolin Invincibles is just Dracula snake tongue and gorilla themed insanity.

The McPherson Tape - No-budget home video “found footage” movie of a UFO encounter that spooks a family in the middle of nowhere. Surprisingly effective at building tension and it’s a fun little time capsule of 80s/90s UFO obsession.

The McPherson tape is the only found footage horror that you can almost believe was actually found footage. The scene where the whole family is talking at the dinner table is the most authentic family conversation I’ve ever seen, because nobody would put dialogue that dull and hard to follow in a real movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The McPherson Tape is definitely one of my favorite blind buys of recent. It's incredible how a movie with such few resources manages to be such a visceral, terrifying film. And you'd be surprised how good upscaled SD analog video looks in HD, it really adds something.

Really excited about the Criterion July titles, as well as Arrow's Bruce Lee 4K set. I wish I liked the films more to rush to upgrade them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Last week, as if I hadn't blown enough money this month, I was reminded that I never got the Radiance release of Welcome to the Dollhouse. It seemed that the LE was OoP but Diabolik had one left in stock. poo poo arrived today

Now we just need Happiness and Storytelling to complete the classic Todd Solondz Trilogy