Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

skipping out on the Winter season made me forget how much waiting for new eps of stuff sucks...friday cant come soon enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the trick is to watch 7 shows so you have an episode every day

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
What if two come out on the same day?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fit in a show from your backlog into the free day then.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Waffleman_ posted:

I will also not be watching the show because the thread makes it seem like the most insufferable up its own rear end LN garbage.

okay. but i do want to clarify that i am insufferable and up my own rear end, whereas the show is an extremely light romcom that is mostly people having fun at school, in case there was confusion on that point.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

the trick is to watch 7 shows so you have an episode every day

anime overdose...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you have the power to do a bit but you need to ask yourself if you should do the bit

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tree Goat posted:

okay. but i do want to clarify that i am insufferable and up my own rear end, whereas the show is an extremely light romcom that is mostly people having fun at school, in case there was confusion on that point.

you can just uh not be that way, you know

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ibblebibble posted:

From initially thinking that it was going to be a quiet season for me, I've suddenly found myself watching a lot of shows.

- Jigokuraku
- Heavenly Delusion
- Demon Slayer
- Lvl999 Yamada-kun
- Gwitch
- Insomniacs
- Skip and Loafer

Might end up picking up Oshi no Ko as well, and I still need to catch up on Vinland Saga s2. A big jump from only watching Buddy Daddies last season.

did you try otaku elf?

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Tree Goat posted:

i like your bit, tree goat. thank you for making a thread

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Big Leg posted:

i like your bit, tree goat. thank you for making a thread

ty! if i read any more of the écrits i will turn my brain to mush.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Personally, I dislike it when people put their own gimmicks above the shows they are supposedly trying to get people interested in.

Haven't read the thread or watched the show though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

sb hermit posted:

did you try otaku elf?

It's on my radar but I'll have to see where I can even fit it in to my life. Might be something to watch during a slow season in the future.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Clarste posted:

Personally, I dislike it when people put their own gimmicks above the shows they are supposedly trying to get people interested in.

Haven't read the thread or watched the show though.

yeah if it's a standalone post like here or in a show thread that's one thing but an OP's tryin to sell you on it and give you the lowdown efficiently, imo

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
alas, it's not even an original bit, embarrassing.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878897

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

im going to beat the tar out of this nerd

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

I will also not be watching the show because the thread makes it seem like the most insufferable up its own rear end LN garbage.
it's a chill gentle romcom with good character designs and art, the OP is some wack gimmick poo poo for no reason

it's something i'd expect in an OP for an 'ironically' watched show, not a legitimately decent show that is neither overambitious nor completely rote

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 12, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

its literally just a shoujo manga idk why that guy made it like that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029600

i made this thread instead, please put this one in the op julias

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

dueling skiploaf threads

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
which thread should we skip... and which thread should we loaf...

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

The 7th Guest posted:

it's a chill gentle romcom with good character designs and art, the OP is some wack gimmick poo poo for no reason

it's something i'd expect in an OP for an 'ironically' watched show, not a legitimately decent show that is neither overambitious nor completely rote

i stopped paying attention to the op the after like a quater way through on the first episode and skipped it on the second
it would be better if it had something like... the first hyouka op comes to mind

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm not sure why people are all dissing skip and loafer, it seems a very charming show so far.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
If it's just a straight romance anime, y'know, without some insane gimmick like your girlfriend is a vampire or your ex is your step sister or something really stupid, the character writing kinda needs to just be outstanding at this point for me to be on board.

Like I watched Angel next door last season and it wasn't bad, it's just, I've seen so many iterations of "Let's go to the festival, let's go the maid cafe" or whatever that what I look for in romance is for the romance to be solved within 3-6 episodes and then remainder to examine what these people are like as a couple going forward.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think calling Skip and Loafer a romance is a bit inaccurate. I mean there is a romance angle but I think it's mostly a drama/comedy about the main character trying to settle in at university and make friends. The side characters are as important as the love interest. I'd compare it to something like Honey and Clover.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 12, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SexyBlindfold posted:

which thread should we skip... and which thread should we loaf...
Skip the low-content also-ran thread. Loaf in the stratospheric reach of the gimmickpost.

I like how all the posts are regular poo poo and don't engage the op-gimmick.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Natural 20 posted:

If it's just a straight romance anime, y'know, without some insane gimmick like your girlfriend is a vampire or your ex is your step sister or something really stupid, the character writing kinda needs to just be outstanding at this point for me to be on board.

Like I watched Angel next door last season and it wasn't bad, it's just, I've seen so many iterations of "Let's go to the festival, let's go the maid cafe" or whatever that what I look for in romance is for the romance to be solved within 3-6 episodes and then remainder to examine what these people are like as a couple going forward.
If it's an adaptation, the context of what's being adapted can be helpful too.

angel next door is adapted from a very successful LN romcom which itself was adapted from a webnovel on the free-to-publish site syosetu

skip and loafer runs in monthly afternoon magazine and is serialized alongside series like blue period, heavenly delusion, houseki no kuni, and vinland saga

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Can't believe we stopped educating kids on how to identify LN trash.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

lol yeah those two series have zero DNA in common despite being the same 'genre'. genres are fake

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Fangz posted:

I'm not sure why people are all dissing skip and loafer, it seems a very charming show so far.

It just seems so, uh, forgettable. Its summary sounds like a thousand other anime you've seen.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The manga cover art for skip and loafer drew my eye immediately that even if the synopsis sounded generic, I was gonna give it a shot regardless

The opposite happens for isekai series, where the key art often makes me roll my eyes into the back of my head as I think "oh no not this bullshit again" and then I have to read the summary to see if it clears the bar for being interesting

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The gimmick economy is why all Light Novels have topic sentences instead of titles. Reject gimmicks.

(I still won't watch this though)

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

If ind anime and manga summaries to be worthless, for the most part.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the ones from the publishers can be good at getting the appeal across sometimes. on MAL they have 15 year olds rewrite all of them to be 3x as long and not say anything so those are useless

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Fangz posted:

I think calling Skip and Loafer a romance is a bit inaccurate. I mean there is a romance angle but I think it's mostly a drama/comedy about the main character trying to settle in at university and make friends. The side characters are as important as the love interest. I'd compare it to something like Honey and Clover.

yea, its similar to a slice of life high school show with the slight teen rom/drama that you can't really avoid. it can be done many times over, but it all comes down to how you're gonna enjoy the cast.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Endorph posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029600

i made this thread instead, please put this one in the op julias

other thread has too much useless words that don't say anything.

this one has too few words

perhaps the answer is somewhere in the middle

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

sounds like we need a 3rd thread

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

GateOfD posted:

other thread has too much useless words that don't say anything.

this one has too few words

perhaps the answer is somewhere in the middle

Tales of Woe posted:

sounds like we need a 3rd thread

hegel strikes again

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Anyway the show isn't high concept or anything, but I'm watching it because it has a good staff, my friends have been gushing about the manga for years, and I watched the first episode and liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i have 0 opinions or interest in the show. i do appreciate the first thread attempting to do something creative and funny even if it missed the mark substantially (sorry dude i gave up reading that after a few seconds and i don't understand how the bit relates to the show at all)