Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Tree Goat posted:

i would like to reiterate that it is still very funny to me that a thread where i use the hegelian dialectic to structure talking about the show (and i do talk about the show in the op, not sure where the idea that the op is not about the show comes from, it just talks about it in a particular way, i don't lie about it) results in an initial thread, a second thread created in oppositional reaction to it, and then a proposed final third thread that would resolve the tension between both.

i am making an mcu joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The 7th Guest posted:

i mean its not like people expected the specific nosedive that show took

tbh even if the show hadn't taken that nosedive. early talk about wonder egg got kinda weirdly reverent when even in the early eps it was making weird choices that weren't as interesting as ep 1. there was that bizarre article about how it was revolutionizing magical girl anime and one big twitter thread someone passed around about all of the writer's previous work and how often it's dug into lgbtq issues (that neglected to actually show much of that work and how it interfaced with those issues directly so it took like a week after it told people about his trans manga for anyone to realize it had an insane arc about a guy convincing a school to allow students to choose which gendered uniform they want to wear by, giving a speech about the iraq war and how brave trans women are for cutting their dicks off)

like it was one thing to just be into some of the stuff wonder egg was doing but there was this odd contingent of like, actively parading it as the most important show of our time that you must not show any disrespect, that would play into getting mad at someone for doing a simple inoffensive joke op. that just conspicuously stopped about halfway through lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 12, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

With how sloppy the script is, it should be more like Scrambled Egg Priority

:stat::wal:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i never watched the last episode, i think it went on an haitus for a few months and forgot about it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ok but what is the most important anime of our time

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

symbolic posted:

frankly i just hate the show on principle now

You are only depriving yourself.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i put it on pause early on and then i read sunu sumu muriku and it was possibly one of the worst manga i've read in my life. also someone reminded me he was the guy who gave an interview about his "yuri" drama show where he ended up saying things so offensive about lesbians that the interview got taken down

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ninjewtsu posted:

bocchi the rock is pretty good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

haypliss posted:

You are only depriving yourself.

im just quirky like that

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Lain

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

symbolic posted:

im just quirky like that

this is like letting all the bad games posts about nintendo steer you away from nintendo games man!

jokes aside, if the show keeps it up I think it's worth a shot at season's end. but imo it's not like this season is hurting for good shows so no big

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ninjewtsu posted:

sword art online

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

Lucky Star

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

ninjewtsu posted:

tamako market

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sleng Teng posted:

this is like letting all the bad games posts about nintendo steer you away from nintendo games man!

jokes aside, if the show keeps it up I think it's worth a shot at season's end. but imo it's not like this season is hurting for good shows so no big

i'll be real, the premise just didn't grab me when i was looking over the stuff coming out this season+keeping up with three shows is honestly enough for me

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

symbolic posted:

i'll be real, the premise just didn't grab me when i was looking over the stuff coming out this season+keeping up with three shows is honestly enough for me
it's fine, we'll probably tell you if it was worth it by july

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

symbolic posted:

no totally I get that :cheers: the manga is one of those things that's more than what is outlined on paper imo so it's p. reasonable for people to skip.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

tbh even if the show hadn't taken that nosedive. early talk about wonder egg got kinda weirdly reverent when even in the early eps it was making weird choices that weren't as interesting as ep 1. there was that bizarre article about how it was revolutionizing magical girl anime and one big twitter thread someone passed around about all of the writer's previous work and how often it's dug into lgbtq issues (that neglected to actually show much of that work and how it interfaced with those issues directly so it took like a week after it told people about his trans manga for anyone to realize it had an insane arc about a guy convincing a school to allow students to choose which gendered uniform they want to wear by, giving a speech about the iraq war and how brave trans women are for cutting their dicks off)

like it was one thing to just be into some of the stuff wonder egg was doing but there was this odd contingent of like, actively parading it as the most important show of our time that you must not show any disrespect, that would play into getting mad at someone for doing a simple inoffensive joke op. that just conspicuously stopped about halfway through lol
as soon as momo was introduced with how weird the show was about her i kinda realized this was not in fact the incisive political commentary everyone was willing it to be

Rika is still a good character tho

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

GateOfD posted:

i never watched the last episode, i think it went on an haitus for a few months and forgot about it

Apparently it is really, really bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i put it on pause early on and then i read sunu sumu muriku and it was possibly one of the worst manga i've read in my life. also someone reminded me he was the guy who gave an interview about his "yuri" drama show where he ended up saying things so offensive about lesbians that the interview got taken down
that show 'owns' because i saw people pointing it out as OMG HES MADE LESBIAN SHOWS??? ALLY??? without having actually watched it because if you do watch it you realize its got moments like the comedy pervert lesbian girl describing herself as 'sexually broken' and saying she acts like this because shes been taking advantage of by old men and also saying that 'with a figure like yours, its no wonder you get stalked' while the camera zooms in directly on the main girl's tits, and it features episode-by-episode updates on the state of each of the main character's pubes

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mycot posted:

Apparently it is really, really bad.

S'fine as it could be for something that ends with wanting a second season that likely won't happen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and yet its still probably better than the last 4 episodes of wonder egg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

S'fine as it could be for something that ends with wanting a second season that likely won't happen.
that bit is like the least of that episode's problems lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

that bit is like the least of that episode's problems lol

It's the only problem I had with it, personally.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

The first episode was really great, to the degree that even this close to it I struggle to remember anything else about the show other than it meandered and then took a sharp dive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk, the 'reveal' with the teacher felt so pointless. we never really got any insight into dead friend after the first ep so just 'btw she was actually a manipulative awful person' is kinda... eh? i get the idea, that ai saw her good side or something, or maybe she was angling to take advantage of ai too and never pulled the trigger, or some kind of mix of both, and ai'll have to live with that ambiguity, but pairing that with the creepy teacher going 'actually... im normal...' is just dumb. the show had gone out of its way to have him say weird stuff to ai and like, show him in weird situations with dead friend in the flashback. obviously thats misdirection but for it to be misdirection it has to, not be weird. even with the explanation he gives that dude is still extremely weird lol and it felt like the show didnt realize that.

and the whole reveal with the wonder killers being 'based off how the person perceives them' kinda kills the whole show cause every previous episode, combined with 'actually the girl who killed herself was lying and loved lying aobut men abusing her' suddenly calls into question every previous one-off episode.

also its not part of the last ep but the trans dude being sent to the suicide dimension that explicitly only girls go to. A+ work on the trans rights angle there gang

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i do hope the director gets another gig someday with a different writer. he hasnt shown up on anything else since so maybe someone gave him another show, hopefully he didnt quit anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

i do hope the director gets another gig someday with a different writer. he hasnt shown up on anything else since so maybe someone gave him another show, hopefully he didnt quit anime
his twitter seems to imply hes still working on stuff and is still at cloverworks at least

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

and it features episode-by-episode updates on the state of each of the main character's pubes

gotta admit that one really caught me off guard

truly the ally i aspire to be

The Colonel posted:

bocchi the rock is pretty good

Megamissen posted:

tamako market

AnoHito posted:

Lucky Star

Fangz posted:

sword art online

thank you for submitting these contestants to the anime thunderdome

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

ninjewtsu posted:

Pui Pui Molcar.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI-QpTrRsr0

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ninjewtsu posted:

Musashi Gundoh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly the part of the show that lost me like immediately was just how quickly the freaky shadow monster threats they were dealing with turned into multi colored clown goo sack monsters who shout about how hosed up and crazy they are. i still enjoyed the more low key character stuff around then but that kinda turned me off all the fantasy dimension stuff very quickly cause it was just obnoxious to watch and them all being that meant it was just going to be the same thing every single time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

honestly the part of the show that lost me like immediately was just how quickly the freaky shadow monster threats they were dealing with turned into multi colored clown goo sack monsters who shout about how hosed up and crazy they are. i still enjoyed the more low key character stuff around then but that kinda turned me off all the fantasy dimension stuff very quickly cause it was just obnoxious to watch and them all being that meant it was just going to be the same thing every single time
the monster designs fell off a cliff within like a single episode yeah lol. the wonder killers being these multicolored monstrosities when revealed is fine but basically every one past the first is like a rejected 90s shin megami tensei design dipped in rainbow paint. also they made every single female wonder killer fat and with big saggy tits.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I watched the first episode Oshi no Ko and I now understand why the first episode is 75 minutes and why people were excited by something with the description it has. This seems great and if we're just getting past the setup into the good poo poo like people told me I'm very excited about it.

I absolutely did not expect Ai to die when I was told this was a drama about the entertainment industry - I guess Ruby and Aqua are being set up as an idol and an actor? At the moment it seems to me like you could have a plot about adopted siblings becoming idols/actors without the reincarnation hook but this show's already thrown curveballs at me several times in the first episode so I think I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the reincarnation angle i think is a bit convoluted but it works because it means they literally 'act' their whole life. even as infants they were acting. nothing in their life is actually like, real and unfiltered by itself. which ties into the entertainment industry stuff i feel like.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Tree Goat posted:

i would like to reiterate that it is still very funny to me that a thread where i use the hegelian dialectic to structure talking about the show (and i do talk about the show in the op, not sure where the idea that the op is not about the show comes from, it just talks about it in a particular way, i don't lie about it) results in an initial thread, a second thread created in oppositional reaction to it, and then a proposed final third thread that would resolve the tension between both.

lol

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
my proposal was at least two more threads

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

the reincarnation angle i think is a bit convoluted but it works because it means they literally 'act' their whole life. even as infants they were acting. nothing in their life is actually like, real and unfiltered by itself. which ties into the entertainment industry stuff i feel like.

(Oshi no Ko chat)

I get why it works as symbolism but I'm also not currently sure it adds much. I assume manga readers have a lot more info to make this call though.

Given that the current Oshi no Ko thread has untagged manga discussion I wouldn't mind an anime thread. I'm a bit busy at the moment but if no one else wants to make one I'll make something Hegel-free tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ninjewtsu posted:

yurucamp