Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Qwertycoatl posted:

I've not read it for ages but remember thinking it felt very contrived. A huge sense that Pullman started off with "they can't end up together" then invented a several new rules of how reality works solely to prevent each possible method of them being together.

Yeah, almost all the rules exclusively crop up in Amber Spyglass too with some of them explicitly contradicting other previously established ones. The whole 'oh if you live outside your native dimension you get sick and die!' especially feels bizarre if you apply it to some of the earlier reveals about Lyra's parents and seems to undercut the very concept of the Magesterium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

I've not read it for ages but remember thinking it felt very contrived. A huge sense that Pullman started off with "they can't end up together" then invented a several new rules of how reality works solely to prevent each possible method of them being together.

Yeah, that whole scene at the end of TAS felt like Pullman brainstorming all the possible solutions readers might come up with and pre-emptively shutting them down, even if it required contradicting earlier books or pulling entirely new, never before hinted at stuff out of thin air.

General Battuta posted:

I can't remember the exact way it works but I can see how it makes moral sense. If each open door means one specter drifting around eating peoples' souls, then it's pretty hard to justify keeping two doors open instead of one, no matter how much you want to see each other. That's possibly twice as many people getting their souls devoured! And just so you can be happy!

I didn't like it either as a kid but it wasn't my biggest beef.

IIRC opening doors creates spectres but closing them doesn't destroy them, that has to be done separately. "Opening new doors creates new spectres" was used as the reason why they had to destroy the Knife and couldn't just use it to open and close doors to visit each other on the regular. "Each open door leaks Dust out of the universe" was the argument for closing all of the doors (except the one into the underworld, which is ok for some reason).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The secret Commonwealth (book 2 of the new series, with Sad Lyra) is actually really good, as is la Belle sausage, and got me started on the whole reread, but it ends on an insane cliffhanger and the third isn't out yet so fingers crossed he sticks the landing.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

ToxicFrog posted:

IIRC opening doors creates spectres but closing them doesn't destroy them, that has to be done separately. "Opening new doors creates new spectres" was used as the reason why they had to destroy the Knife and couldn't just use it to open and close doors to visit each other on the regular. "Each open door leaks Dust out of the universe" was the argument for closing all of the doors (except the one into the underworld, which is ok for some reason).

The idea there is that by working diligently to increase the amount of sapience in the world by spreading art, science, and general curiosity, they could probably just about manage to balance out the Dust drained by one door, but not two. It's not unlike the idea of using carbon sequestration to balance whatever amount of carbon emissions absolutely can't be eliminated.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It just seemed quite contrived to me

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I didn’t like that in the first book Lyra’s dad is a child murderer and in the last one he’a kind of a tragic hero

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Artemis by Andy Weir - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y55SB48/

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Megazver posted:

He started writing it as a horny story, but then it kinda went in the wholesome direction on its own and instantly got very popular, and he course corrected.

I haven't gone back through Royal Road and read the comments, but it wouldn't surprise me if that turned out to be a key factor. That people read it and commented that they liked that it wasn't a creepy, sexualized harem thing.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

put the harem back in coward

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Everyone posted:

I haven't gone back through Royal Road and read the comments, but it wouldn't surprise me if that turned out to be a key factor. That people read it and commented that they liked that it wasn't a creepy, sexualized harem thing.

He literally says this is the case in some of his author's notes. The story started as a thread on SV before Royal Road and that version has a few really poorly written extended sex scenes that get cut to black in the Royal Road/published version.

Though even then it was just married couple sex with Jin and Meiling or the Lord Magistrate and his wife.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

tokenbrownguy posted:

put the harem back in coward

I am a horny nerd, so I am still Team Throuple Done In A Considerate Manner That Respects The Characters.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Zore posted:

Lord Magistrate and his wife.

haha, what. really?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

sebmojo posted:

It just seemed quite contrived to me

It's definitely pretty convenient that the math works out in exactly the right way to make everyone involved sad, yeah.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Copernic posted:

haha, what. really?

Yeah, you know all those weird asides where they have a small scene together and start thinking about how much they love BDSM? In the original they're usually like actively in a session instead of doing something innocuous.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I started Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor today! I've heard good things about it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I'm reading Fortress in the Eye of Time and - keeping in mind that this is the early 90s - there was a throwaway line that implied that one of the characters is gay, and I can't tell you how happy that kind of thing makes me. It's subtle, one of the guards assigned to guard a pair of notoriously sexy ladies is chosen "because of his own preference" he'll be able to resist their wiles, so to speak - it's one line in thousands, but it made me smile. I dearly love how she would tuck in those little references, or straight up have queer characters in her novels while writing in the 80s and 90s.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

So I'm reading Fortress in the Eye of Time and - keeping in mind that this is the early 90s - there was a throwaway line that implied that one of the characters is gay, and I can't tell you how happy that kind of thing makes me. It's subtle, one of the guards assigned to guard a pair of notoriously sexy ladies is chosen "because of his own preference" he'll be able to resist their wiles, so to speak - it's one line in thousands, but it made me smile. I dearly love how she would tuck in those little references, or straight up have queer characters in her novels while writing in the 80s and 90s.

I really need to pick up some of Cherryh's works one of these days; Mercedes Lackey was one of my favorite authors during my formative years, and I've heard that her habit of doing similar things (oh Vanyel :allears:) stems from the former's mentorship of the latter.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Looking for recommendations for my next books (solo or series). Here's a list of what I've read so far and what I liked / didn't like:

• Wayfarer Series - I liked this overall and especially liked Record of a Spaceborn Few's view into the exodus fleet. The last book where everyone just kinda hung out at a space gas station for a few days dragged a bit.
  • The Culture Series - Love the fully automated luxury bisexual space communism and the stories were pretty fun. Biggest complaint here is that nothing really happens in the books - the stories are fun sure but everything in the wider world just carries on as it always has. Favorites here would be Player of Games & Matter (fun romps) and Look to Windward (the melancholy tone paired nicely with post scarcity excesses)
  • Bobiverse Series - The idea is cool and many of the stories are fun. The constant need to slap "nerd culture" all over everything was very annoying. Captures a fun sense of exploration. The last book with the beavers dragged a bit in beaverland but I found all the other series plots to be enjoyable and engaging.
  • The Expanse - Not a huge fan of body horror so the 1st novel was touch and go but things got surprisingly less body horrorish as the series went on. Huge fan of the gates and everything that gave us a peek at the other planets and the protomolecule's creators. The first romp inside the gate in Abaddon's Gate was some of the best stuff in the series. The dumb poo poo with Marco and his kid was the worst.
  • KSR's Red Mars Series - Just finished this trilogy off and I have mixed feelings about it. The trip out to Mars was good stuff, as was the initial landing and exploration. Arkady is a great character and the series was much worse off after killing him off, although I understand how he wouldn't make it long in interplanetary war. I think the series got worse as time went on, and overall this probably could have been a pair instead of a trilogy - KSR can also go off on long tangents about Martian wind currents or whatever which I didn't enjoy, especially since I listen to audiobooks while driving/cooking/cleaning so I can't just skim though that garbage quickly. The sense of progression from both a climate and a culture standpoint was nice, but the last book definitely dragged a long ways. I also haven't read a good sex scene in sci fi yet but KSR's are some of the worst! Blue Mars also ended horribly.
  • 2312 - I went through this before the Red Mars series and found many of the ideas on future colonization to be enjoyable - I find myself thinking about asteroid terreria and Mercury's mirrors heating up Jupier's / Saturn's moons to this day. Similar to Red Mars KSR can go on tangents about the physics of Saturn's rings or whatever that drag way more than needed. The "plot" was also so disconnected and pointless that I thought about the book for the last 10 minutes and only just now remembered the plot existed!

Reflecting on the above I think I like the feelings of adventure and exploration and transformation the most, so I'm looking for stand alone books or series that have this - I appreciate any recommendations you can give!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I read 3 books by Annalee Newitz:

The Future of Another Timeline
-Time travel thing in a world where we've had time travel since ancient history, has some heavy abortion rights stuff

Autonomous
-Some interesting robot philosophy, but I don't remember a whole lot else despite reading it 2 weeks ago

The Terraformers
-Really liked this one. Extremely long-lived park rangers on a private planet being terraformed by an Evil Capitalist Corporation. Talking mooses! Also a shitload of other talking animals.

overall would recommend all 3.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Looking for recommendations for my next books (solo or series). Here's a list of what I've read so far and what I liked / didn't like:

Reflecting on the above I think I like the feelings of adventure and exploration and transformation the most, so I'm looking for stand alone books or series that have this - I appreciate any recommendations you can give!

Have you read much Jack Vance? He's one of the great science fiction adventure writers. The Demon Princes series is pretty great for cheap thrills but all of his stuff is at least good. His protags are not good people though if that matters.

Also lol The Lensman series if you want classic pulp power escalation and transformation

Non-Stop by Brian Aldiss is a classic you shouldn't read plot spoilers about because it's pretty famous for it's successive revelations about the world

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

dervival posted:

I really need to pick up some of Cherryh's works one of these days; Mercedes Lackey was one of my favorite authors during my formative years, and I've heard that her habit of doing similar things (oh Vanyel :allears:) stems from the former's mentorship of the latter.

Cherryh is my favorite author and I love love love love her stuff. Do you want recs or just encouragement to read her?

A GIANT PARSNIP, if you want exploration / adventure / transformation, Cherryh's Pride of Chanur is a big ol' space opera about space cats running into a human stowaway and you meet a lot of weird alien cultures through it. Alternatively, read her earlier (and much more brutal) Faded Sun trilogy, which is about a mercenary species' final outpost on a planet getting uhhh run off of it, shall we say, and a human winds up with the survivors and has to adapt to their culture as fast as possible if he wants to survive. It gets WEIRD and has space-bears... and also the regul, who are fuckin' weird, a great take on an alien species that literally can't forget things, ever.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

sebmojo posted:

The secret Commonwealth (book 2 of the new series, with Sad Lyra) is actually really good, as is la Belle sausage, and got me started on the whole reread, but it ends on an insane cliffhanger and the third isn't out yet so fingers crossed he sticks the landing.

I dunno why but I got such Rey and Kylo Ren vibes from Lyra and the guy who's name I forgot, lets look it up, Olivier Bonneville. So I sure hope that whole thing ends up better than Rise of Skywalker.

I was also extremely frustrated as a child by the end of Amber Spyglass. I respect a book predominately read by children that has such a downer ending, it can't all be sunshine and rainbows, and hey how many pre-teen romances would even last? It would almost be creepy if they got to adulthood and were still in a relationship, so definitely not worth jeopardizing the world for. But it was painful to read.
Maybe a bit contrived, but seems like a common problem of fantasy series that haven't all been written in one go and the author is developing the rules of the world as the series gets into more elaborate territory. She who must not be named had the same issues.

I respect how Joe Abercrombie has always written out at least first drafts of all his trilogies before publication of the first. Though by his latest, Age of Madness, it seemed he was running out of ways to both deliver a climactic ending and avoid giving a true comeuppance to his villain who's continued existence and power is kind of necessary for that series to work.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dervival posted:

Cherryh is amazing, one of my favorite authors. Morgaine trilogy is a great starting point, as is the pride of chanur. Cyteen is lots of peoples favorite but does take her mild fetish with describing people successfully planning and conducting meetings to a slightly absurd level.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lol snap strix

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cherryh is my favorite author and I love love love love her stuff. Do you want recs or just encouragement to read her?

sebmojo posted:

Cherryh is amazing, one of my favorite authors. Morgaine trilogy is a great starting point, as is the pride of chanur. Cyteen is lots of peoples favorite but does take her mild fetish with describing people successfully planning and conducting meetings to a slightly absurd level.

I'd greatly appreciate recommendations, yes! I was already planning on heading in to my local bookstore tomorrow and it looks like they have a copy of Pride of Chanur in stock, so I'll have to pick that up as well; I can see why Cyteen is a common favorite, though "successful meetings" might be a bit too unbelievable of a power fantasy at this point, haha. Thank you for the recs!

dervival fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 13, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pride is a standalone then there is a very intricate trilogy that was written as a single book and is excellent, then another standalone (also good). The paladin is a good standalone though some people find old horny mentor guy a little too horny. Serpents reach is also a good standalone.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

sebmojo posted:

The paladin is a good standalone though some people find old horny mentor guy a little too horny.

That probably won't be an issue given my dear old mum decided in all her wisdom to introduce me to Piers Anthony at the ripe age of 8 and my standards have been warped ever since :v:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cherryh is, herself, married to another woman, so would necessarily be aware that queer people exist.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

dervival posted:

That probably won't be an issue given my dear old mum decided in all her wisdom to introduce me to Piers Anthony at the ripe age of 8 and my standards have been warped ever since :v:

I read an absolute shitload of piers anthony as a kid and the dude was still way too fuckin horny for a 16 year old girl. He is theoretically forty, though the timeline seems a bit hinky to me for that.

He's notably much hornier for a teen girl than the male leads in Tamora Pierce books.

Sally Forth
Oct 16, 2012

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Wayfarer Series - I liked this overall and especially liked Record of a Spaceborn Few's view into the exodus fleet. The last book where everyone just kinda hung out at a space gas station for a few days dragged a bit.

[snip]

I haven't read Record of a Spaceborn Few, but Some Desperate Glory has just been released and is about Brexit an isolationist human culture that's rejected the wider galactic community, which might share some of the worldbuilding you've enjoyed (and is a very good book regardless).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/agraybee/status/1646520204963487744

Yeah, Brandon Sanderson

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Sally Forth posted:

I haven't read Record of a Spaceborn Few, but Some Desperate Glory has just been released and is about Brexit an isolationist human culture that's rejected the wider galactic community, which might share some of the worldbuilding you've enjoyed (and is a very good book regardless).

I just finished this up after buying it on Tuesday and really enjoyed it!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it's lazy worldbuilding if you don't show the coal powerplant, and grimdark misery porn if you do

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Zore posted:

Yeah, you know all those weird asides where they have a small scene together and start thinking about how much they love BDSM? In the original they're usually like actively in a session instead of doing something innocuous.

And that session probably read like a goofy "50 Shades" knockoff. Another character I really like is Xiulan and how she doesn't have (or want) an SO. Xiulan is extremely attractive (and busty) so she's had to deal with male gaze BS and propositioning since she was 12 or so.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

This is why I enjoy series like Mieville's Bas Lag or Commonweal. There's magical technology with actual consideration of the socio-economic implications of that.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Is it possible for a writer to get WORSE as their career continues? Because, for whatever reason, even with the Baenisms (all the loving weird poo poo about Islam and monarchy and how you can't trust elected politicians or UNELECTED BUREAUCRATS) the first two books of the Dahak Trilogy by David Weber are way, way better than anything in the Honor Harrington Series, and make Safehold look like bad YA fiction.

Edit: it's also weird to have a Weber protag who isn't Honor Harrington or Robot Honor Harrington, but instead a "Weird looking gangly dude with a beak nose and big ears"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Glen Cook got dramatically worse with time. Fritz Leiber kinda just ran out of steam as time went on. I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I suspect writers getting better with time is more often the exception than the rule. Most writers do their best work in their first few books (see, e.g., Scalzi). Other writers peak then decline (Heinlein), or write one pinnacle work and never quite manage to reclaim that height again (Peter S. Beagle).

Look at Gaiman. His first few works were brilliant (Sandman, Neverwhere, Stardust) but he's rarely even approached those heights in his later career, and when he has, it's been with works he initially blocked out when he was much younger but didn't finish till more recently (Graveyard Book).

I think it's just the natural aging process. Being a good creative writer is difficult.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 13, 2023

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Clark Nova posted:

it's lazy worldbuilding if you don't show the coal powerplant, and grimdark misery porn if you do
"coal powerplant" and how do you get this electricity oh right you boil some water

or you can boil some water

or boil some water

there are other ways to get it but no turns out everyone mostly boils water

and what do they do with it, that threatens to bring a nation's electricity network to its knees every time a the big sports game takes a break?

they use the electricity to boil some water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Glen Cook got dramatically worse with time. Fritz Leiber kinda just ran out of steam as time went on. I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

In Leiber's case, alcoholism and depression probably contributed. Or take Alfred Bester, who wrote two great novels in the 50s and three increasingly crappy ones in the 80s ... but he was also progressively losing his eyesight, among other health issues, while he wrote the latter three.

Clark Nova posted:

This kinda reminds me of a very short story (possibly by Isaac Asimov?) where scientists manage to bring a time traveler back from the future, and he's happy to describe all the technological marvels future people enjoy ... but he's just an average guy and has no idea how any of it actually works.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 13, 2023