Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Disney duct taping anakin's saber back together in TROS was truly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Grendels Dad posted:

Just the laziest poo poo. They could have thrown maybe one thing in there that we hadn't already seen before. It's not like they don't have any background material to draw from, this just makes it sound like "Yeah, I personally know many actors... that guy, and that guy!"
It's funny. The OT Empire is inspired by Nazi Germany, Nazi America, bits of the Soviet Union. TFA just focuses on the Nazi imagery, and the more specific references just make the First Order feel more generically evil.

Xenomrph posted:

Edit— it’d have made more sense if it was Luke’s green saber anyway. Instead of Rey saying to Luke” hey remember this saber you lost when your dad cut off your hand 40 years ago?” it’d have been something more along the lines of “this is a thing you created and had a personal connection to, why did you forsake it?”
Yes, also the green saber is just cooler looking. Hell, Leia's saber was a blinged-out version of Luke's saber. Do people still say bling?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Mantis42 posted:

metacommentary is lame, no one wants that

Sometimes it's all we have left!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Schwarzwald posted:

This is some improper punctuation away from being a dril tweet.

It has a comma splice.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yeah, seems important, it might have been interesting to see how that conversation went down. Maybe put that in the movie

It's in phantom menace. All the convos btw Qui gon and Anakin are important to pay attention to!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Robot Style posted:

I think they did it to make Kylo seem more redeemable. The comic didn't just make the Knights of Ren a random pre-existing group he joined, it also reduced his total Jedi kill count to 1.

The temple was destroyed by a "random" lightning strike:

After that, there were 3 Jedi survivors who arrived late, assumed that Ben was responsible, and attacked:

They kept hunting him, so he defended himself against them. And of the 3 surviving Jedi, one was killed by a boomerang:

One was killed by the then-current leader of the Knights:

And only the last was killed by Kylo, after the other Knight of Ren had already defeated her.

Somehow, the Disney Star Wars universe finds a way to be dumber than the old Star Wars Extended Universe.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno about Anakin's fall being 'sudden' given he literally massacres a tribe down to the last child in Ep II. He's already a murderer on the path to the Dark Side before the opening shots of the Clone Wars, and said wars if anything at least give him an outlet for his violence, if getting him- and the other jedi- more and more used to it.

Don't forget the million or so droids he kill-switches over Naboo.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

This might just be hearsay I've picked up from the constant posting fracas, but I've heard it said the lore is, han ended up with it somehow and pawned it off to maz for drinking money

e: Apparent source?

That was Luke's Yavin medal, in order to retcon it so that the one Maz gave Chewie wasn't the same one that Leia had when she died.

The lightsaber initially had a bit more explanation, though not much. There were some early rumors that were later confirmed by Mark Hamill that the original idea for the start of the movie was that after the opening crawl, instead of revealing a starship, the camera would see Luke's lightsaber and severed hand floating through space (no explanation for that though) before it fell towards a planet. The hand burned up on entry, and the lightsaber crashed in a field, where it was picked up by an alien who accidentally started a brushfire with it when they turned it on. I think there was also going to be a montage of the alien selling the lightsaber to a trader, who was then killed by the Knights of Ren, with the saber finally being stolen from the Knights by Maz.

Some of that might have been in an extended version of the flashback Rey gets when she first touches the weapon - the Cloud City hallway actually would have led to a portion of the actual duel being represented (presumably with the severing of the hand), with an actor named Robert Boulter standing in for Luke:

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 13, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Next time, try not to lose it. This weapon is your life.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

that would have been stupid. like, what, is his arm fitted with a lightspeed engine? it would take literally millions of years to float to another planet from bespin.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

that would have been stupid. like, what, is his arm fitted with a lightspeed engine? it would take literally millions of years to float to another planet from bespin.

It's such a typical JJ star wars is fantasy thing it's scarcely even worth commenting on. I would put down money he said "it's like the one ring" at some point in the life cycle of that idea

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

That one isn't JJs fault. I'm definitely the person to get pissy about Lightspeed Skipping, but space is only so big in Star Wars; the Millennium Falcon didn't even have a working hyperdrive at the time it reached Bespin yet the Imperials couldn't figure out that it might go there.

Maybe that solar system has like 40 inhabited planets.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Would've been a better opening than what we got imo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bet the first thing Rey did when she got ownership of the Falcon was give it a robust working hyperdrive (Chewie throws his hands up and goes THANK GOD)

'course it still burst into flames from the skipping, but that's Poe's fault

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mantis42 posted:

Not to mention that it’s far more likely it would have fallen out of the city and fallen into Bespin, lost forever.

Frankly that’s the story I’m more interested in, how did the lightsaber get off of Cloud City in the first place. How it gets from whatever point that is to Maz is trivially easy to handwave, it’s the jump from Cloud City to that mystery point B that deserves explanation.

Which wouldn’t even be necessary if they’d gone with Luke’s green saber, which as mentioned is more thematically appropriate and the “chain of custody” is a lot easier to handwave.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Canonically the hand ended up on Exegol and was used to create Snoke, but thus far they haven't explained how it got there either, or what happened to the lightsaber itself.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

That one isn't JJs fault. I'm definitely the person to get pissy about Lightspeed Skipping, but space is only so big in Star Wars; the Millennium Falcon didn't even have a working hyperdrive at the time it reached Bespin yet the Imperials couldn't figure out that it might go there.

Maybe that solar system has like 40 inhabited planets.

According to the old RPG, which was the first place to try and figure this out, here's the Bespin system:

And here's its relation to Hoth:

quote:

The Bespin system is located just off the Corellian Trade Spine and at the head of the Ison Corridor.

The Corridor consists of four systems in a nearly straight line, beginning with Bespin and followed by Anoat, then Hoth, and finally Ison. The standard hyperspace journey from one system to the next is a mere 14 hours or less. Since every system but Bespin is uninhabited, the Corridor holds little interest to most tourists and merchants.

The nearby Corellian Trade Spine draws almost all the traffic that might pass along the Corridor. The proximity of a standard Trade Spine jump port, combined with the lack of such a jump port in- system, means Bespin enjoys accessibility with privacy. The only people who stop at Bespin are those who have business there, either as traders or tourists.

Before the destruction of Alderaan, there existed a profitable trade triangle which ran through the Alderaan, Bespin, and Corellian systems. The loss of this trade triangle has cut into Cloud City's profits, and Baron-Administrator Lando Calrissian is working hard to insure no further disruptions to trade are forthcoming from the Empire.

All ships, including the popular Galaxy Tours excursion, get an "uncommon route" classification on passage costs to Bespin.

So more or less, they could've hosed off to Correllia for all anyone knew. But importantly, the Imperials could figure out that they might go there. They arrived before the Falcon.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 13, 2023

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Some sources have established that the Falcon had a low-speed backup hyperdrive that it used to limp to Bespin, but the trip took anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on how long each person thinks is believable for Han & Leia to get to "I love you" and for Luke to spend training with Yoda.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It was basically a huge mistake to make that lightsaber important at all.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I didn't even know lightsabers had different hilts until I played that Fallen Order game and there were like 30 variations of it

I mean I knew Dooku had the weird curves handle ones but I thought his was special and the rest were all the same until Kylo Ren's junky one

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I think you're forgetting a big one. I'm pretty sure one of the original Episode One trailers could have just been the words "2 bladed lightsaber" and kids would have still lost their poo poo.

...and now I'm once again miffed that they didn't go that route for Rey.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Our protagonist fights with a stick made of lightsaber parts and her lightsaber broke in 2 i wonder what we should do 🤔🤔

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Robot Style posted:

Some sources have established that the Falcon had a low-speed backup hyperdrive that it used to limp to Bespin, but the trip took anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on how long each person thinks is believable for Han & Leia to get to "I love you" and for Luke to spend training with Yoda.

Yeah most ships in the WEG RPG had a backup hyperdrive that went at ~5% of the speed of the main one, so a trip that would take an hour would take a day or a trip that would take a day would take a month.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Glottis posted:

I think you're forgetting a big one. I'm pretty sure one of the original Episode One trailers could have just been the words "2 bladed lightsaber" and kids would have still lost their poo poo.

...and now I'm once again miffed that they didn't go that route for Rey.

Yeah not giving her a double-bladed saber at the end (after her weapon of choice was a staff, and her dark-side vision had a double bladed saber) was beyond stupid.

Props for it being yellow though, yellow has been my favorite saber color since like KOTOR and Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

It was basically a huge mistake to make that lightsaber important at all.

Yeah, this. Lightsabers are cool, but they turned them into quest items with the same finesse they applied to the Sith dagger.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Strange women living in cantinas handing out laser swords is no basis for a Jedi Order, yet here we are

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Fallen Order has Cal forge his lightsaber from the damaged ones of his masters and later use a broken crystal to repair it. It's not exactly subtle but it's a good way to tie it to the theme of a survivor trying to find a way to move forward.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wolfsheim posted:

It was another prequel this whole time :aaa:

I really, really want to see Space Bosozoku.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Also wasn’t there somebody in those comics trying to recruit Kylo that looked suspiciously like Jeffrey Epstein?

A lot of people seem to have had strong feelings about this guy for one reason or another

It just goes to show: where there's snoke, there's ire.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gnome de plume posted:

A lot of people seem to have had strong feelings about this guy for one reason or another

I'm OG Star Wars character B'oooooo Hissss, just standing here and glaring at you.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gnome de plume posted:

lol

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The Disney movies have a fetishistic fixation on objects, it's weirdly offputting. I don't remember anything like it in the Lucas ones outside of the initial "here's your father's sword".

Gnome de plume posted:

beautiful

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Star Wars Thread: Where there's Snoke, there's Ire

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

YaketySass posted:

The Disney movies have a fetishistic fixation on objects, it's weirdly offputting. I don't remember anything like it in the Lucas ones outside of the initial "here's your father's sword".

beautiful

merchandise

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

YaketySass posted:

My favorite has to be Those loving Dice in TLJ and Solo. They're not even visible in most cuts of the original film!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

YaketySass posted:

It's fun to note that this isn't just Star Wars; Marvel movies do it too, with a piece of clothing Scarlett Johansson wears in a scene or two in an Avengers movie being exploded into a very important running gag in her solo flick.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

This stuff is where the ST gets into the business of trying to win over fans/influencers by repudiating the PT. It's why Maz Kanata is the heart and soul of the ST.

What even are the Resistance and the First Order? "The only fight: against the dark side. Through the ages, I've seen evil take many forms. The Sith. The Empire. Today, it is the First Order."

How'd you get Anakin's lightsaber, and who even cares? "A good question for another time."

How come the First Order seem to have way more popular support than the New Republic, and they've infiltrated your bar? "A union dispute, you do not want to hear about it."

It’s so funny how Disney came crawling back to the prequels for a lot of their tv shows.

Especially after completely disrespecting them during the production of the sequels.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Fallen Order has Cal forge his lightsaber from the damaged ones of his masters and later use a broken crystal to repair it. It's not exactly subtle but it's a good way to tie it to the theme of a survivor trying to find a way to move forward.

That game had more care put into it than the entire ST and most of the Disney+ live-action shows. Say what you want about the gameplay - it's not for everyone - but the story is fantastic.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

My favorite has to be Those loving Dice in TLJ and Solo. They're not even visible in most cuts of the original film!

The dice thing was such a blatant attempt at manufacturing nostalgia on something they could easily merchandise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

While I understand this is probably it, Star Wars and Lucas had absolutely no problem merchandising prior to the ST. You don't need everyone in the story to be like "omigod ani's sword" to sell a lightsaber!!! And honestly not having "Rey's Lightsaber" at any point in the ST to sell seems like a massive miscalculation??????

The major motivating factor has to be some weird psychological play at fandom like "these ppl have devoted decades to loving this lightsaber, can we bootstrap new fans into also adoring it in the event they dont see the OT / PT before the ST?"