Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

Do we have a thread anywhere to ask about gamer chairs? I did a search intitle: but didn't find anything.

Get a good office chair instead. Gamer chairs are basically the same concept but they exchange functionality for flash.

If you can get one, an Aeron chair remains the best option I know of. They last forever too; I have one that's close to 20 years old at this point, and the only work I've had to do on it was replacing one arm rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Only advice I can offer Re: Chairs: If you have cats, they will destroy whatever chair you buy, so take that into account before shelling out a few bills for a gaming chair.

I have a SecretLab Omega and it is great, but in only a couple of years my cat has shredded it.

Oh also if you have cats, don't get one of the chairs that's just mesh stretched around a frame. The breathability is nice but as soon as your cat scratches it in the wrong spot it will lose all of its tension and suck to sit in. I went through an office chair like that before I got the Omega.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Honestly it's less that I care about disrespecting any specific religion, and more about randomly accidentally offending a neighbor. I don't really respect many (any?) organized religions, but people? People I live near? Yeah I don't want them mad.

I didn't think about that kind of thing; that sounds like the norm for the kind of place I work, which is decidedly not.

I'm sorry.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, regarding chairs, all I actually want is something I can attach these joystick + HOTAS mounts to, so that I can get my desk space back (and because it's cool, and it'll be nicer, and I have the money), and I honestly don't mind if it's a cheap office chair.

I'm running into two issues, though:

1: I'm having trouble finding an office chair that I know will be compatible with one of the mounting brackets. They have seven different kinds (those are the FORM 1-7 files at that link), and also sell a "universal base" that can go under most chairs to provide the anchor points for the mounts. It cannot, however, go under my current chair.

2: I ran through the list of all the chairs they identify as compatible. As well as being eye-wateringly expensive, I measured my upper leg from kneepit to the end of my bum, and without exception the listed depth of all of them is longer (well, I went through 10-15 of them before I gave up, admittedly I didn't check the ENTIRE list). That means my legs aren't going to be able to bend, which is super annoying. I've got short little legs.

I'm also running into the "legs too short" problem looking at office chairs. I wanted to ask people with Gamer ChairsTM if they ever ran into this problem, and how they got around it. I see a lot of them have cushions for the lower back, and I recently did sit in a chair that was also too long for me that had a cushion and it was actually very comfortable, but that wasn't for hours on end.

So, I guess, I'd want to know: how do I find chairs for my short legs, and failing that would a cushion actually solve the problem? Or some other solution?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The joystick mounts are such a niche use case I'd almost recommend two chairs: one for your flight sims (or whatever) and another for every day use. Assuming you have the space to shuffle them around.

As for "legs too short" look for an under desk foot rest.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Quality office chairs are actually kind of customizable. Mine came with a choice of three seat tube heights and a bunch of other options.

Getting two chairs is the best option, in my opinion. And to buy a chair, I’d recommend visiting an office furniture store and tell them what you’re looking for.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you can get one, an Aeron chair remains the best option I know of. They last forever too; I have one that's close to 20 years old at this point, and the only work I've had to do on it was replacing one arm rest.

seconding this, ive had mine for about 15 years and its still good as new except for a bit of wear on the arms, and its super comfortable no matter how long i work. i have also played plenty of computer games in the chair, so i can tell you it works fine as a "gamer chair"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

McCracAttack posted:

The joystick mounts are such a niche use case I'd almost recommend two chairs: one for your flight sims (or whatever) and another for every day use. Assuming you have the space to shuffle them around.

Their problem is the (butt-to-knee) depth of the seat, not the (knee-to-foot) height from the ground.
But most computer chairs should have an adjustable back position that can fix that.

Hyperlynx posted:

So, I guess, I'd want to know: how do I find chairs for my short legs, and failing that would a cushion actually solve the problem? Or some other solution?

I'm gonna repeat my suggestion of heading into an office supply store or an IKEA and just physically sitting in the chairs they have on display, playing with all the adjustment knobs etc.
It's way better to do it that way than by reading specs online.

In terms of figuring out which budget chairs fit with the adapter you might wanna head to the discord they link on that product page and ask some of the people in there which chairs they're personally using their adapters on.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

tuyop posted:

to buy a chair, I’d recommend visiting an office furniture store and tell them what you’re looking for.

That's not a bad idea. I'm not sure if I can hand them a stack of PDFs and say "get me something that fits these screw holes", but I can at least ask for something that fits my backside and work out which would take the mounts myself...

McCracAttack posted:

Why the "two chairs" part, though? As in, so that I could get something that's not actually all that comfortable but it's okay because I'm not using it for such long periods of time?

As for the foot rest part, I've got to be able to reach my rudder pedals, so that's out :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

As for the foot rest part, I've got to be able to reach my rudder pedals, so that's out :)

Can you mount the rudder pedals to a box to get them off the ground? Some plywood and screws is all you need.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Come to think of it, I'm not sure how a footrest (or raised rudder pedals) would help. If the chair is too deep, it means I can't have my back against the chair back and also be able to bend my legs. So I'd either have to sit with my back not against the back of the chair (uncomfortable (unless pillow?)), or not be able to push the pedals.

Something to put my feel on would only really help if I needed to raise the height of the chair to be able to use the desk with my arms at a good angle, and that sort of thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, what you want is a chair with adjustable seat depth. And adjustable height, presumably, so you can rest your feet on the ground. Aerons are out, since they don't have adjustable depth, but there's still plenty of chairs out there that do.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

what's the gas station burrito situation like outside of Texas?

down here we have nice and cheap fried ones filled with beans and stuff, but i'm wondering what the rest of the U.S. is like

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Gas station burritos:

Sheetz. It’s like the chipotle of gas station burritos, by which I mean they add anything and make them to order. I just went to chipotle for the first time in years and it was terrible and expensive. I wish I went to sheetz but there isn’t one in this small town. Next time I’ll just drop the fleet vehicle off and drive to a good taco stand. Barbacoa… ugh, if I wanted hamburger meat I’d have gone to Wendy’s, at least there it’s higher quality. I write this from the porcelain throne because of chipotle… which brings me to

Heartburn:

I used to get it really bad, then apple cider vinegar. I started drinking acv when it got debilitating because at that point I would have been happy to consume broken glass if it would have caused less pain (I hear you can if you chew it up good, but don’t take dietary advice from carnival geeks). For a while I’d dose up a shot glass full of acv with cayenne and wash it down with a bottle of water after I ate anything greasy or heavy. It helped a lot. Now I drink kombucha which is basically an active, light vinegar, and I’ll have something with dietary/insoluble fiber as a prebiotic. Like, I’m gonna go have a bottle of Costco’s Brew Dr and some celery to counteract what that unholy burrito did to me, which brings me to

Unholy pendant:

Sick af. That thing is beautiful. I’d hate to not wear it if I owned one, where’d you get it? I can think of half a dozen people who’d love them as gifts. Wear it under your shirt, or if it’s a uh, wrist pendant, you could always put it somewhere you can look at it like idk the rear view mirror in your car or the dash (if that’s not worse). People misunderstanding things that have a totally different (or misappropriated, lol Gygax and the phylactery) meaning is something I used to not care about, but now have to. I’d say this is a more painful age related issue than heartburn.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
oh! also ~ Office chair:

Go to church:
https://www.costco.com/la-z-boy-manager%27s-office-chair-with-active-lumbar-technology.product.100664460.html

It's got everything everyone recommended and it's in stock at every Costco I've ever been to.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just sat down to do some more digging, and here's the thing: my upper leg, from my back to my kneepit, is 44cm. I just looked on IKEA, and this seems pretty typical:

None of them are even close. Am I missing something here? I feel like I'm missing something. Though the seat I use is about 41cm deep (unfortunately not compatible with those HOTAS attachments.)

Decedent posted:

oh! also ~ Office chair:

Go to church:
https://www.costco.com/la-z-boy-manager%27s-office-chair-with-active-lumbar-technology.product.100664460.html

It's got everything everyone recommended and it's in stock at every Costco I've ever been to.

It's too big, too :/

quote:

Seat Dimensions: W x L x H
29.5 in. x 30.5 in. x 47.5 in.

That's 74.93 cm x 77.47 cm x 120.65 cm.

e: or, like this seems perfectly reasonable too, except the depth is listed as 55cm.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 16, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
you're missing the chairs with adjustable back positions / seat depths

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Also on the Costco chair I think that's the maximum external measurements - looking at the images the chair depth looks to be 19.1 inches, ~48cm.

(I see it's labeled those as "seat dimensions" which is indeed silly)

Trapick fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 16, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you're missing the chairs with adjustable back positions / seat depths

Besides that. I'm starting to wonder if the seat depth really is the seat depth. Or, again if cushions actually just sidestep the problem altogether.

But then again, I am pretty short, and lots of office chairs I've sat in have been too deep for me...

E: ha, maybe I should order one from Japan, where people are my height...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I recently replaced an outlet in the bedroom from an old two prong outlet to a three prong outlet with USB-A ports. Unfortunately the outlet did not have a ground wire. I got curious and purchased a Klein GFCI outlet tester and tested around the house. It seems that some of the outlets are grounded, while some are not and have an open ground. What should I do in this situation about the non-grounded outlets? Realistically, how big of an issue is this?

Example: My computer and other electronics are connected to a power strip, which is connected to a three prong outlet, that is not grounded.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Re: heartburn

Try making tea with rosemary leaves and drink regularly when you have bouts of heartburn.

It's cheap, tasty and it works for me.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

obi_ant posted:

I recently replaced an outlet in the bedroom from an old two prong outlet to a three prong outlet with USB-A ports. Unfortunately the outlet did not have a ground wire. I got curious and purchased a Klein GFCI outlet tester and tested around the house. It seems that some of the outlets are grounded, while some are not and have an open ground. What should I do in this situation about the non-grounded outlets? Realistically, how big of an issue is this?

Example: My computer and other electronics are connected to a power strip, which is connected to a three prong outlet, that is not grounded.
That’s fairly common in houses of a certain age. Ideall the ungrounded outlets wouldn’t have 3 prongs.

Post itt and actual electricians can probably help you. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
A screw in a stud behind the receptacle box as a floating ground and a residual current device hooked onto it.

I had one for years in a bathroom at an old house where the slumlord wouldn't repair poo poo. One day the gfci just blew, even then I just replaced the gfci

lol I wonder what an actual electrician would say about that

E: If you actually OWN your home, you could always go to a homedepot or lowes and buy a ground rod and bang it into the dirt outside with a sledge hammer, drill a hole in an outside wall and run a wire of some specific gauge that's up to your state's electrical code from the receptacle to the rod and attach it with a fargo clamp

Decedent fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 16, 2023

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Are there any variants of the various football games that have more than one ball on the pitch, even if for a short period, where both balls are in play?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m not sure but I’m all for blernsball!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

Are there any variants of the various football games that have more than one ball on the pitch, even if for a short period, where both balls are in play?

American football or soccer?

Edit: actually they’re both invasion games. Googling “invasion games with multiple balls in play” gives a bunch.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 16, 2023

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

tuyop posted:

American football or soccer?

Edit: actually they’re both invasion games. Googling “invasion games with multiple balls in play” gives a bunch.

Yes please

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Trying to remember the name of some old software. Pretty sure it predated Windows 3.1 and I think it was used for accounting / taxes / office stuff. The only thing I remember about it was that it was alliterative. Like Linus Lopes or something.

It isn't Lotus 1-2-3

Edit since I'm here: when I have to go through like six captchas asking me to click on fire hydrants, is this me failing the robot test six times in a row or is it sometimes just designed to give you six tests?

credburn fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 17, 2023

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

credburn posted:

Trying to remember the name of some old software. Pretty sure it predated Windows 3.1 and I think it was used for accounting / taxes / office stuff. The only thing I remember about it was that it was alliterative. Like Linus Lopes or something.

lotus 1 2 3

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
plan perfect?

Methanar fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 17, 2023

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

Edit since I'm here: when I have to go through like six captchas asking me to click on fire hydrants, is this me failing the robot test six times in a row or is it sometimes just designed to give you six tests?

try answering some of them wrong sometime. It will still work. Ask yourself, why is that? And think about the mice in the Hitchhikers' guide to the galaxy.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Turbo Tax?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just did some bloodwork, vitamin D came back very low (surprise surprise). How long will it take for my body to get back to a sufficient level of vitamin D if I'm going out in the sun every day for 10-15 minutes with exposed arms, face, legs? Are we talking weeks, or quicker?

Mike Fallopian
Apr 10, 2023

by vyelkin
It depends on your weight and body fat, as well as how low your levels are. Anywhere from weeks to months is likely.

Good reminder for everyone that vitamin d supplements are basically the only ones that most people should be taking, as it's very easy to end up low on vitamin d in the modern world.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Crankit posted:

Pretty sure you’re thinking about pinball. If I’m right, check out Funhouse.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Leave posted:

I didn't think about that kind of thing; that sounds like the norm for the kind of place I work, which is decidedly not.

I'm sorry.

Interrupting chair chat to say: you're good! Not mad at all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mike Fallopian posted:

Good reminder for everyone that vitamin d supplements are basically the only ones that most people should be taking, as it's very easy to end up low on vitamin d in the modern world.

Magnesium though

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
How are macro/micronutrients calculated for a food or food ingredient? I'm assuming it involves taking a sample and burning it or something in a lab.

Mike Fallopian
Apr 10, 2023

by vyelkin

Mister Speaker posted:

How are macro/micronutrients calculated for a food or food ingredient? I'm assuming it involves taking a sample and burning it or something in a lab.

Depends on the nutrient, I don't think you'll get anything but caloric information from burning something generally. I would assume that they blend of up and separate it out chemically, or for artificial food they just add up the ingredients.

Platystemon posted:

Magnesium though

That's not a vitamin. I don't know for sure how common magnesium deficiency is but I guess I could see it being a thing for people with bad diets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

Often just by rounding down.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tic_T...the%20flavour).