Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous; every chapter (and legion) is gay, actually.

The Thousand Sons deepest secret is that the Rubric turned their guys into fabulous, amazing glitter, not boring dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The Dark Angels are just the only ones pretending like it’s some dark, terrible secret. Everyone else either rolls with it or leans into it.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Sephyr posted:

The Thousand Sons deepest secret is that the Rubric turned their guys into fabulous, amazing glitter, not boring dust.

I am 1000% down with this

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Custodes go full Gachimuchi in their spare time and they love it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The Death Guard, or as they were known before their genefather found them: the Death Drops.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hitting a Rubric Marine with a power sword and it explodes like I opened a stolen Amazon package from that one YouTube guy

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Benagain posted:

Okay I was thinking the space sharks were almost 100% loyalist night lords where's the mix between them and raven guard hinted at.

The fluff/lore behind them and the Raven Guard also has the Heresy Era Raven Guard using very, very specific word usage for fleets, unit formations etc etc, which the Space Sharks also use.

The general gist of it is Corax exiled all the poo poo stirrers and problem children from the Raven Guard to deep, deep space patrols and postings.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Edit: This joke sucked.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I hope Guilliman makes fun of Lion for being old and Lion makes fun of Guilliman for getting owned. Do Infinite and Divine but with Primarchs.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Speaking of raven guard, what's the deal with their shadow walking/shadow slipping ability? Is this supposed to be some kind of warp-related ability or are they just really good at oiling the joints of their power armor

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Bohemian Nights posted:

Speaking of raven guard, what's the deal with their shadow walking/shadow slipping ability? Is this supposed to be some kind of warp-related ability or are they just really good at oiling the joints of their power armor

Corax can literally turn into a living shadow monster (since Primarchs are basically little pieces of Emps soul that he cut off and turned into his version of greater daemons) and stalks the warp hunting down traitors. RG can probably do a little bit of that, since they're metaphysically connected to their Primarch.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Corax did the shadowstep thing even during the Crusade (Curze can do it too but his version was hosed up somehow?? Dunno). Thought the Raven Guard themselves were just really really good at sneaking around though, not that they all had superpowers

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

My understanding is (pre-daemon primarch) Corax's power revolves around making himself imperceptible to actual people, but robots of all types could still perceive him.

Konrad is the one with the actual shadow-to-shadow leap ability, the exact parameters of which are up to the plot.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

As a reader I always found it ambiguous due to the sneaking being from the PoV of the marine, no idea how everyone else perceives it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Pyrolocutus posted:

My understanding is (pre-daemon primarch) Corax's power revolves around making himself imperceptible to actual people, but robots of all types could still perceive him.

Konrad is the one with the actual shadow-to-shadow leap ability, the exact parameters of which are up to the plot.

Corax didn't go daemon primarch, though -- he can just do that stuff, for the same reason that Angron could overhead press a titan when he was still mortal. They were never really mortal; the perfect fusion of warp being and physical being that Lorgar was always going on about already exists, and it's them.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Pyrolocutus posted:

According to Kurze's Primarch novel (which is bad, mind) he does not have any shadow leap ability, he's just super good at stealth the normal way, and he is pissed at and jealous at Corax for his abilities. He whines how unfair it is, how he could have used Corax's abilities better to be even greater monster, and how Corax is the only one of his brothers he hated because of that.

After the Heresy, when Corax went hunting Word Bearers and Lorgar, he demonstrated, among others, the ability to became a being of liquid shadow and claws and proceeded to slaughter Word Bearers for days until Lorgar was dumb enough to come see what the fuss was.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Corax didn't go daemon primarch, though -- he can just do that stuff, for the same reason that Angron could overhead press a titan when he was still mortal. They were never really mortal; the perfect fusion of warp being and physical being that Lorgar was always going on about already exists, and it's them.

Maybe not but he's currently extremely hosed up after spending so long in the Eye of Terror, at least from what we know

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Corax basically unlocked all of his Warp-based nature and abilities as a what's basically a Greater Daemon of the Emperor in a perfect biological shell without going over to the Chaos Gods.

What makes it funny is that Lorgar was ascended to a Daemon Prince status as a reward by the Chaos Gods and then it turns out that Chaos-juiced Daemon Lorgar still just flat-out loses to Warp-hobo Corax.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think a lot of it also comes down to what the primarchs themselves perceive of what they are. Corax has clearly gone all in on his supernatural nature, Angron could do insane poo poo because he was literally too angry to think about it (see also K6BD for this concept). The demon primarchs are powerful because they know they are.

I think the Lion is probably going to be somewhere halfway, Guillimann is still resisting the concept because he's completely wedded to the Imperial Truth but he's getting there. I think once/if he accepts that the Emperor is a god and that he is "divine" himself he's going to be able to tap fully into that and become an Anathema like the Emperor is.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Warden posted:

Corax basically unlocked all of his Warp-based nature and abilities as a what's basically a Greater Daemon of the Emperor in a perfect biological shell without going over to the Chaos Gods.

What makes it funny is that Lorgar was ascended to a Daemon Prince status as a reward by the Chaos Gods and then it turns out that Chaos-juiced Daemon Lorgar still just flat-out loses to Warp-hobo Corax.

Lorgar is just cursed to be eternally dunked on at this point.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Warden posted:

It rules, get hosed Lorgar

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Lorgar has always been the lame youth pastor of the astartes, and those little shits always fold like lawn chairs when push comes to show.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

A warped-up loyal primark would be awesome.

I find the loyalist side really boring as it lacks introspection but with a character like corax you could have the others ask themselves "what the gently caress am I?" And if they start questioning themselves it means their sons can too.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
In what book does Corax do this shadow stuff and dunk on daemon prince Lorgar?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

notaspy posted:

I find the loyalist side really boring as it lacks introspection but with a character like corax you could have the others ask themselves "what the gently caress am I?" And if they start questioning themselves it means their sons can too.

Warp ghost/Necrodermis Ferrus Manus any day now

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

DirtyRobot posted:

In what book does Corax do this shadow stuff and dunk on daemon prince Lorgar?

It's a short story Shadow of the Past found in the anthology Sons of the Emperor.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
How are the Legacy of Caliban books by Gavin Thorpe?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Pron on VHS posted:

by Gavin Thorpe?

There’s your answer bad

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

If they are going to do a Scouring book, I'd better get more Sevatar stories :colbert:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

If they are going to do a Scouring book, I'd better get more Sevatar stories :colbert:

This!! They really left him off on a cliffhanger lol

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

This!! They really left him off on a cliffhanger lol

Seems to be a thing with Night Lords, especially with Decimus, Prophet of the 8th Legion. I mean, we can assume he failed since Ulthwé did show up to help the Imperium after Cadia, but drat, there's a story to be told there.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

notaspy posted:

I think Big G does think about this, at least a bit. He and Dorn both have moments in the heresy, iirc, where they're like, we are not normal people, what the hell are we?

I think early on in Know No Fear, he's joking with a Mechanicus representative about not eating any actual food at a welcoming banquet, and the tech-priest says "in fairness, I'm pretty sure you didn't need to either", and Guilliman just laughs.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Guilliman hours later in his room, desperately trying to remember the last time he ate any kind of food because the Emperor programmed him to be "that doesn't look like anything to me."

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Guilliman hours later in his room, desperately trying to remember the last time he ate any kind of food because the Emperor programmed him to be "that doesn't look like anything to me."

The perfect diplomat can never have food in his mouth in case he needs talk

Angron, on the other bite ridden hand, never has an empty mouth.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Warden posted:

According to Kurze's Primarch novel (which is bad, mind) he does not have any shadow leap ability, he's just super good at stealth the normal way, and he is pissed at and jealous at Corax for his abilities. He whines how unfair it is, how he could have used Corax's abilities better to be even greater monster, and how Corax is the only one of his brothers he hated because of that.

After the Heresy, when Corax went hunting Word Bearers and Lorgar, he demonstrated, among others, the ability to became a being of liquid shadow and claws and proceeded to slaughter Word Bearers for days until Lorgar was dumb enough to come see what the fuss was.

i liked parts of the book. i like him holding the one thug and having two seperate vsions and going with the doomer one even though its pretty obvious he could have done the right thing.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Guilliman has a moment like that in Dark Imperium when they're attacking Fulgrim's ship. In that brief moment when teleporting sends you to the warp he feels something. Like he KNOWS that the warp is what he really is, that he is of it. That he could find some deep truth if he just prodded that thought. He then immediately buries the idea because he believes he'd go bugfuck insane if he thought through all the implications.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Flytrap posted:

Guilliman has a moment like that in Dark Imperium when they're attacking Fulgrim's ship. In that brief moment when teleporting sends you to the warp he feels something. Like he KNOWS that the warp is what he really is, that he is of it. That he could find some deep truth if he just prodded that thought. He then immediately buries the idea because he believes he'd go bugfuck insane if he thought through all the implications.

yeah. like guilliman is smart enough to realize what he is and why he is and while he does care about that, he is sorta at peace with that. like he views duty as everything so if he has to sacrifice introspection, so be it. like he knows BIG E hosed up bad and or was a massive utilatarian psycho but like after 10k years, you can't really undo poo poo, you just staunch the bleeding where you can and hope the crash is surviable.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I was thrown by the 100 year timeskip between Xenos and Malleus. Just how long do regular humans live in 40k? It seems inquisitors etc get access to rejuvenating technologies that regular folks don't, but it's funny that the imperium seems to have cracked the technology of longevity in a universe where life can be so short. Peter Thiel would love it.

Also with Bequin -
I'm guessing the silent sisters weren't so much part of the lore or Abnett didn't know about them when this was written, as Eisenhorn doesn't seem to be aware of their existence in Malleus.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I belive they're a HH series creation, so yes Malleus predates it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Mikojan posted:

Lorgar is just cursed to be eternally dunked on at this point.
I think this applies to the Word Bearers in general. The realisation only comes when they die that the chaos gods were always laughing at them.