Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

mystes posted:

how do you have a horn while you're walking? Or do you mean that just as a metaphor?

Are you telling me you walk these dangerous streets without carrying (a tuba)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

imagine having the jaws of life used to get you out of a sousaphone after being hit

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

mystes posted:

how do you have a horn while you're walking? Or do you mean that just as a metaphor?
https://impacttrainhorns.com/products/milwaukee-train-horn-150db

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Had a driver flip the gently caress out at me yesterday because I was crossing a street without activating the RFB.

It was a 25mph street with good sight lines and my hands were full.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

beg buttons should be banned

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

the only context I've seen where it made sense to me was in Singapore (I think) where pensioners and people with disabilities have an RFID card that activates a longer-than-normal walk signal so they can cross more safely at a slower speed

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

cars should be banned

when covid hit in 2020 the mayor ordered all the beg buttons in LA to be automatically activated and it was SO NICE

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

webcams for christ posted:

the only context I've seen where it made sense to me was in Singapore (I think) where pensioners and people with disabilities have an RFID card that activates a longer-than-normal walk signal so they can cross more safely at a slower speed

we just have cameras on them so they stay red (for cars) until the pedestrians have finished crossing

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Earlier in the thread there was a discussion about the 5 ton EV Hummer and how these heavier vehicles are going to be a problem for America's rickety infrastructure. Well today I saw this article posted by an account that I'm sure some of you are familiar with.

https://twitter.com/FuckCarsReddit/status/1646525289818914827
Extra wear and tear on pavement. Old back-road bridges being put under strains they weren't built for. Seems like fun times ahead.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is a fun read re: the impact heavy vehicles have on roads and structures: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_power_law

quote:

This means that after 160,000 crossings, the bicycle causes as much damage as the car does when driving on the road only once.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i wish i got paid the big grant money to research whether a man and a couple metal tubes and gears weighs enough to damage steel or concrete vs a giant high speed carriage.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is a fun read re: the impact heavy vehicles have on roads and structures: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_power_law

I wish I'd saved it, but a while ago I saw some driver on twitter claiming that bicycles did more damage to roads because the tires are thinner, so all of the weight was concentrated in a small point. he thought cars did less damage because they have 4 wide tires, so the weight is distributed. it was the most obvious nonsense imaginable but the guy would not budge on this opinion

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Apr 13, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bike tires do have higher contact pressure than car tires.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

that means that compared to the bicycle the truck causes as much damage in one trip as *counts on fingers* hey wait a second

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

makde drivers get out and push a beg button to retract the bollards at every intersection

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Clark Nova posted:

makde drivers get out and push a beg button to retract the bollards at every intersection

Oh hell ya now we're talking

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its like the reverse of those intersections that never change the light unless a big enough piece of metal like a car drives up to the sensor

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Clark Nova posted:

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Clark Nova posted:

yes. YES!

Internet Poster
Nov 1, 2020

vincent diesel the car method

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Real hurthling! posted:

its like the reverse of those intersections that never change the light unless a big enough piece of metal like a car drives up to the sensor

These things actually do work this way (in the inverse) but only if you're in a small vehicle, like a motorcycle. Not enough metal to trip the sensor; I used to have to get off and press the crosswalk button. Or pull up into the intersection and gesture at the driver behind you to move up into the sensor gate, which for some reason most drivers will just make a 'WTF' gesture at you in response, or think you're challening them to a fight.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Mister Speaker posted:

, or think you're challening them to a fight.

Drivers do be doing that

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

These things actually do work this way (in the inverse) but only if you're in a small vehicle, like a motorcycle. Not enough metal to trip the sensor; I used to have to get off and press the crosswalk button. Or pull up into the intersection and gesture at the driver behind you to move up into the sensor gate, which for some reason most drivers will just make a 'WTF' gesture at you in response, or think you're challening them to a fight.

Yeah, I've had to do that on my bike. Like move up and try to wave the car behind me onto the sensor. It almost never goes well.

I saw a twist on this situation once in a turning lane with a dedicated light that would only cycle and let people turn if they tripped the sensor. Well someone at the front of the turning lane was too far back from the sensor so the light just never cycled and before long they had dozens of cars stacked up behind them with nobody going anywhere. One guy stuck in the line got out of his car and walked up to the front car to try and wave them onto the sensor. Based on his sudden "woah be cool!" hand gestures and shouting it seems like they thought he was trying to rob them or something.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It was pretty funny when the small impotent man whose mirror I smacked (as he almost ran me over gunning a right hand turn through my walking path) jumped out of his car and immediately regretted it as soon as he sized me up. His words went quickly from threatening violence to threatening police action.

Not so tough outside your little cage, are you?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

There is no justice in a world with suvs

the news posted:

A hippopotamus descended from animals illegally brought to Colombia by the late drug kingpin Pablo Escobar has died in a collision with an SUV on a highway near Escobar's hacienda, environmental authorities said Wednesday.
The vehicle occupants were unharmed in the accident in the northwest on a highway from Bogotá to Medellín, police said. The hippopotamus died immediately afterward and was removed to be analyzed, environmental authorities said.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cocaine-hippo-pablo-escobar-killed-highway-collision-colombia/

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What the gently caress is this Audi ad? https://www.ispot.tv/ad/1fvV/2023-audi-q5-deliver-yourself-t2

e: fine since nobody clicks on non-embedded video: woman drives SUV through city full of panel vans, gets to suburban home, drops off copy of Marcus Aurelius' illegible title (presumably Meditations), then leaves??

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 12:15 on Apr 14, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

webcams for christ posted:

We have those but just as normal buttons

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/copenhenken/status/1646520413579800576?s=20

This woman is a part of MPLS politics

https://twitter.com/FrederickMelo/status/1646692878515593217?s=20

SOS is compromised of people who live in one of the richest neighborhoods of STP.

I wish old people would realize this is the world THEY created over the last 20-30 years. They’re gonna be dead sooner than most of us, so let us make a better world sooner.

Edit: just found out that a college nearby is going to cut down more trees and put up another parking lot for the second time in 5 years. So loving dumb.

Boywhiz88 has issued a correction as of 11:37 on Apr 14, 2023

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1646561230344028180

More of this please

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

how do you know there weren't people inside those cars, huh? reported for posting gore

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

Why not add a coin slot so you have to pay 3.50 every time?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Note the "new driver" sticker on the middle truck. it kinda never occurred to me that most kids are probably learning to drive in these loving tanks nowadays

https://twitter.com/slavojtrex/status/1646571008701132801

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Buddy how do you think I'm going to haul 100k bitcoins to work every day?

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

monstrous 18 wheelers hauling actual cargo driving on the same roads as normal people trying to get to work or whatever seems insane to me. i can sorta see why people feel their truck sizes are inadequate if half the traffic is 10x your size.

going to the store on the same road as the freight supplying the store has to be stupid right? i just want some asparagus for dinner and i have to contend with trucks hauling 40,000lbs?? wtf lol

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

jackhunter64 posted:

More of this please

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lollin at the barely visible Mazda 2

e: oh poo poo, that's a Mazda 3, a normal sized people car

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Norton posted:

monstrous 18 wheelers hauling actual cargo driving on the same roads as normal people trying to get to work or whatever seems insane to me. i can sorta see why people feel their truck sizes are inadequate if half the traffic is 10x your size.

going to the store on the same road as the freight supplying the store has to be stupid right? i just want some asparagus for dinner and i have to contend with trucks hauling 40,000lbs?? wtf lol

80,000 lbs

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

:fap:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I trust the truck drivers way more than the normies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SKULL.GIF posted:

See? Bicycles DO cause damage