Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I mean that wasn't his bounty back then. It was frozen when they were made a warlord, and increased once they weren't a warlord anymore and became affiliated with Crocodile, Buggy and the Cross Guild as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

It was still supposed to be a "whoa this motherfucker is worth 4x as much as Arlong" moment but then the bounty inflation became real

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Thanks, Bi D. En.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

It's absolute BS that Crocodile was worth like 3 billion berries and after Luffy kicked his teeth in his bounty only went up to 100 million.

Yet another instance of someone having their labor value exploited.

A big part of the end of that arc is the WG covering up what happened and giving most/all of the credit to Smoker.

If they had bumped Luffy's bounty super high for "no reason" it would expose his involvement.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

LanceKing2200 posted:

A big part of the end of that arc is the WG covering up what happened and giving most/all of the credit to Smoker.

I assume that's what they mean by Luffy having his labor value exploited.

Anyways, Crocodile doesn't even have a 2 billion bounty right now so I don't know where 3 billion came from

And for the sake of Cross Guild completionism:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
crocodile was a moderately successful pirate with a logia fruit, so he was offered a warlord position before he got big. it's what he did afterward that led to his current huge bounty.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Julias posted:

I mean that wasn't his bounty back then. It was frozen when they were made a warlord, and increased once they weren't a warlord anymore and became affiliated with Crocodile, Buggy and the Cross Guild as a whole.

Yeah this is what I mean. Crocs bounty was 80m originally. Hoping we get some mihawk backstory when zoro finally beats him

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/DivinitySeeker1/status/1646524096648450053?s=20

Grain of salt but oof

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Those are some very awkward decisions. The first chapter of one piece should not be hard to translate to film and make interesting, if they can't even get that part right it's totally dead.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
good thing i was already sitting down

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jesus

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Test audiences are notoriously stupid but even so one piece is a story for children and if they somehow managed to complicate it they did something terribly wrong

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Dorry and Brogy only had 200 mil combined put together, which is sorta high but given the level of conceptual menace a giant warrior pirate crew suggests they must have been either deeply prone to inactivity or victims of massive inflation to the berri value.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
They rush through introducing Zoro, Sanji, Ussop, and Nami in 15 minutes of episode 1, yet still only get to the Baratie set by Episode 3? What boggling pacing choices.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

rip

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Doesn't Netflix own Stranger Things? How can Avatar be their Stranger Things if they already have Stranger Things.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Caidin posted:

Dorry and Brogy only had 200 mil combined put together, which is sorta high but given the level of conceptual menace a giant warrior pirate crew suggests they must have been either deeply prone to inactivity or victims of massive inflation to the berri value.

They were on an island fighting each other 1 on 1 for like 100 years. Not exactly an active threat to the world by that point.

Maybe their bounties were reduced after the first decade or two in isolation.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Doesn't Netflix own Stranger Things? How can Avatar be their Stranger Things if they already have Stranger Things.

Stranger Things is ending, so they need another one.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

They were on an island fighting each other 1 on 1 for like 100 years. Not exactly an active threat to the world by that point.

Maybe their bounties were reduced after the first decade or two in isolation.

I was assuming that had been their numbers at peak, but maybe. The WG doesn't really feel like they would actually lower anyone's bounty? It'd come across like admitting a error or being soft to the absolute authority mindset

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Caidin posted:

That can be better explained by actual in-universe inflation. $100 100 years ago would be worth about $1,800 today.

If the world of One Piece is similar, their 100 million a century ago translates to 1.8 billion today, which is more what you'd expect now that we've seen top level bounties in the world.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

seems like a mistake to be throwing incredibly cgi heavy poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks if you want to replace stranger things. like I never really watched it but I assume part of what made it work is that "80s horror pastiche" is not actually super complex CGI-wise compared to, say, people flinging fire and water everywhere or the guy who took a bite of gum gum, and all the biggest cgi happens in poorly lit rooms rather than broad daylight on the open sea

That's totally irrelevant to what I came here to post which was: I finished enies lobby and holy poo poo, that's the good stuff. I have some quibbles and questions (like: holy poo poo it's insane it somehow took 40 volumes to get here, also I'm generally curious about the decision to have Luffy be totally disconnected from the bulk of the action such that his fight against Lucci ends up feeling like a bit of an afterthought), but goddamn that's some good manga/anime.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Crazyeyes posted:

They rush through introducing Zoro, Sanji, Ussop, and Nami in 15 minutes of episode 1, yet still only get to the Baratie set by Episode 3? What boggling pacing choices.

Wait is this a serious post?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Even if I think the adaptation will more likely than not be bad, I'm like 99% sure that leak is bullshit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Valentin posted:

seems like a mistake to be throwing incredibly cgi heavy poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks if you want to replace stranger things. like I never really watched it but I assume part of what made it work is that "80s horror pastiche" is not actually super complex CGI-wise compared to, say, people flinging fire and water everywhere or the guy who took a bite of gum gum, and all the biggest cgi happens in poorly lit rooms rather than broad daylight on the open sea

That's totally irrelevant to what I came here to post which was: I finished enies lobby and holy poo poo, that's the good stuff. I have some quibbles and questions (like: holy poo poo it's insane it somehow took 40 volumes to get here, also I'm generally curious about the decision to have Luffy be totally disconnected from the bulk of the action such that his fight against Lucci ends up feeling like a bit of an afterthought), but goddamn that's some good manga/anime.

The Stranger Things comment is about their live action Avatar TLA, not One Piece

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I mean if the introduction is just like, doing cut aways to Sanji cooking on the ship, Nami doing something for Arlong, that'd be fine.

Also, lol at: "Show jumps between being over the top goofy to being serious, and it’s jarring and inconsistent." Makes it sound like they actually are being faithful to the source material.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Julias posted:

Even if I think the adaptation will more likely than not be bad, I'm like 99% sure that leak is bullshit.

It does give off a very "My dad works at nintendo!" vibe, yes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If they had it filmed enough for test screenings, then I think rewrites of the extent they're saying would cause like a major delay

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, something doesn't smell right about those leaks for sure. Rewrites on that scale when they're by all indications already done with filming seems... unlikely, to me.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Arist posted:

Yeah, something doesn't smell right about those leaks for sure. Rewrites on that scale when they're by all indications already done with filming seems... unlikely, to me.

This isn't totally unheard of in Hollywood when something is rly bad or they're very convinced of how to fix a major issue for something with a lot of money

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't buy the leak because when does netflix ever try to fix their expensive unwatchable trash projects? they just release those as is.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I know reshoots are common, but this seems like a whole other ballgame in terms of scale. Like, the production involves heavy use of boats. And yeah, my current image of Netflix suggests they would probably just rather release it and cancel it quickly rather than throw all this money into fixing it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't buy the leak because when does netflix ever try to fix their expensive unwatchable trash projects? they just release those as is.

They did it with the Witcher spinoff that bombed

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
netflix couldnt rewrite the whole story before they did test screenings or they would gave been slammed by the fanbase at series announcement. this is netflix’s creative directors intentionally sandbagging a show so they have an excuse to rewrite the script and avoid a similar backlash to the witcher tv show. when this comes out and the story is changed to suck mega rear end the writers can now deflect blame by being like, “well, it was worse before we rewrote it. just look at the test screenings”

edit: to be clear im saying that every stabled netflix in-house writer is terrible but they’re also, somehow, all producers, so they get their garbage stories in every show netflix produces. this is their way of getting their stupid writing into One Piece

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 14, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

they're gonna sail the entire grand line in 1 season, somehow correctly guess what the one piece is and spoil the manga's conclusion

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

U-DO Burger posted:

they're gonna sail the entire grand line in 1 season, somehow correctly guess what the one piece is and spoil the manga's conclusion

One Piece... [DON!]... is CANCELLED!!!!!

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
*gets arm bit off* well, that just happened :rolleyes:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Film Red is getting its American BD in July

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Julias posted:

Yeah... It wouldn't be the most unheard of thing, but the lack of a major delay for rewrites that major combined with how different it sounds from the leaked first episode script (which was essentially just the first chapter) makes me doubtful. That script was over a year ago I believe so it's most likely changed, but adding in the crew introduction in the last 15 minutes is a pretty big change, especially since the series was stated to end right before they got to the grand line.

I can believe that it tested poorly with audiences however, since the person who leaked the old episode 1 script had never read/seen OP and said it was terrible and went on to cite 100% faithful scenes as the reasons why. What works in comics and anime doesn't always work for casual audiences with no familiarity. That being said, as a fan I'd worry more about what kind of changes that reception would result in.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
However it turns out, the One Piece adaptation will be an interesting case study. There have been a lot of live-action anime/manga adaptations, but I don’t think there’s ever been a live-action television (not film) adaptation of anything resembling a conventional shonen battle manga.

There are four obvious reasons why people don’t do it, of course. First, superfluousness when a TV anime adaptation already exists. This is arguably less of a problem for One Piece because the One Piece anime gets so bad…but it only gets REALLY bad long after the part a live action adaptation is likely to cover.

Second, budget. This is the obvious issue. Something like Bleach is fairly easy because even a low-budget adaptation will have better sets than the manga’s backgrounds (or lack thereof), and the fights are mostly just a mix of sword fighting and energy blasts. Though even Bleach has the Hollows early on, which are a potential problem. But for One Piece you need to make the ships, islands, Sea Kings, Luffy’s stretching, Fishmen, and Krieg’s technology look good, and that’s just in East Blue.

Third, for something like Naruto or Hunter x Hunter, you need talented child actors. Fortunately One Piece dodges this issue; all major characters are at least in their mid-teens.

Fourth, these things tend to be very long - One Piece being the longest major one unless you count JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure as one series. Something like Fullmetal Alchemist would maybe be a better choice? FMA (or Attack on Titan, or the first two arcs of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure) would produce far more insufferable Discourse, though, so maybe it’s for the best that they went with One Piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FMA technically already had a series of live action movies, they were ok at best