Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah Madlax is a weird and talky shows and relies a lot on mood but it's also why I like it a lot more than Noir even if it isn't as good of a show as Noir cause of it's weirdness

El Cazador is definitely the best of the bee train girls with guns shows though and the most complete series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

el cazador is far and away the most like, 'actually good' one, noir has some neat bits, madlax is so weird that its interesting

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Not liking that I apparently started with the best one, and it was fine.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the problem with all of them is that episodic content is pretty wildly varying in quality and it takes up most of the first halves of each so in order to get to any of the cool stuff you have to sit through one offs that range from conceptually interesting, to dumb fun, to randomly having really tasteless jokes that kind of sour the dynamic between the leads for no reason at all. none of the tonal issues of those one offs tend to crop up in the main plot so it just sets you off with really bad early impressions and makes it harder to get into the actually fun parts

honestly for all that is more generally fun about it el cazador kinda suffers the worst from all of these things. i can think of a lot more specific episodes of it i just do not like despite liking the general arc and cast

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 15, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S404mS-694

The Madlax op is 100% representative of the shows vibe

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah I think the Bee Train Girl with Gun shows probably would of been better off being 13 episodes than 26 on the whole

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ehh i like the longer episodic format for el cazador since it's a road trip show. dunno about the others but i like when an adventure series is actually long enough to feel like a real journey

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some of cazador's best stuff is in the more episodic stuff just, you could probably cut the weird ex-boyfriend ep with the awful opening gag and the entire show would benefit from it

should note that while all these things are problems with that line of bee train shows they've still got nowhere near the worst bizarre one-off gags i've seen in a yuri anime so they get off relatively fine

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Sakurazuka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S404mS-694

The Madlax op is 100% representative of the shows vibe

i'm 100% down

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i love that the last episode of yuri is my job ends with hime equally scared of her best friend and the girl she just met who absolutely despises her. reality is an obstacle - yuri is my job

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Big Leg posted:

i love that the last episode of yuri is my job ends with hime equally scared of her best friend and the girl she just met who absolutely despises her. reality is an obstacle - yuri is my job

im glad her best friend is also terrible, in a very different way

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah I think the Bee Train Girl with Gun shows probably would of been better off being 13 episodes than 26 on the whole

Noir could probably make that cut just by removing any scene where the watch's music plays.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Hell's Paradise ep02

I kind of agree with everyone talking down to Sagiri. I don't think she is cut out for this job.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 16, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

GateOfD posted:

I kind of agree with everyone talking down to Sagiri. I don't think she is cut out for this job.

why?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

People who feel like poo poo after killing people probably aren't the best suited for the job of "killing people."

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

AnoHito posted:

People who feel like poo poo after killing people probably aren't the best suited for the job of "killing people."

one of the core themes of the series (up to now, anyway) is that killing sucks and should weigh on you. it'd be weirder if she didn't.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Southern Cassowary posted:

one of the core themes of the series (up to now, anyway) is that killing sucks and should weigh on you. it'd be weirder if she didn't.

As a broader moral philosophy, yes. If you're specifically hiring for a job where the main criterion is 'must be able to unhesitatingly kill people', you probably actually do want a stone-cold psycho.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

From 'I'll kill you in golf' to I'm dying from golf

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Just be like Kanako

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think G-Witch might actually kill me this season.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

I think G-Witch might actually kill me this season.

i am glad they went back to school just to drop the fuckin hammer

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I picked g witch as my first gundam to watch as it airs and I think it was a great choice!

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Sleng Teng posted:

I picked g witch as my first gundam to watch as it airs and I think it was a great choice!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
My Clueless First Friend continues to be absurdly sweet...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sakurazuka posted:

From 'I'll kill you in golf' to I'm dying from golf

Died with golf, not of golf.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Who knew being a Golf Newtype would have side effects!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

My Clueless First Friend continues to be absurdly sweet...

This season is gonna give me diabetes. Gotta balance it out with some salt like Yuri Is My Job

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

sinky posted:

Just be like Kanako

I'd love to see a top studio make an anime out of this one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd prefer seeing a bottom one

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm tired of nobody giving jobs to the switch studios

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Stink Billyums posted:

if it gets another season it's probably 2 years away

Does it go... anywhere character or story wise in the manga?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Turin Turambar posted:

character or story wise
I mean we already saw that Uncle was being obnoxiously blasé about his theory of how to return, but also inspired the Hero's Trio and Mabel to be useful adventurers. Im sure we'll get the same loop of oblivious uncle and offended Elf woven into tropes like accidentally leads to royal overthrow, is actually emgaged to Elf as a result of exchanging names, etc

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Mashle is very stupid and I look forward to next weeks endeavours to solve problems through punching and cream puffs :munch:.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Dead Mount Death Play episode 2 done.

Pretty good, honestly had my favorite early scene from the manga.
i just lost the bits with the parent's spirits helping the kids out of the fire

the pacing of the episode seems pretty good, I dropped the manga pretty early on, so the anime will probably reach past where I stopped.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mashle is very stupid and I look forward to next weeks endeavours to solve problems through punching and cream puffs :munch:.

It feels like the author saw Black Clover and decided it needed more deadpan humor and less shonen yelling. I'm also looking forward to next week's episode.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i like when mashle does his weight lifting

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

lmao that Kizuna Ai thing is a grift trying to sell NFTs.
https://twitter.com/Ambler/status/1648046983158849536

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Pouring one out for the translator who was contractually obligated to sub breathless crypto propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

lmao that Kizuna Ai thing is a grift trying to sell NFTs.
https://twitter.com/Ambler/status/1648046983158849536

lol