Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Yeah, may as well get a palm nailer right now. They're cheap, at least pneumatic ones are, and pretty much indispensable for getting nails into tight spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I got a stapler because we're gonna have to stick a lot of chicken wire to some 2x4s and I got a tire inflator because no matter how hard she tries my wife manages to drive over every nail and screw in the road, if there are any other air tools that are have an obvious advantage over their corded brethren I am here to listen to you and buy them.

obviously the next thing I'm going to buy is an impact so I can hear that super fun rattle can sound, if there are any other air tools you guys like better than their plug in equivalents I'm all ears

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The thing about hammers, they've been with us since humans learned to tool. If it all burns down, a hammer is what you'll reach for. They're primal like in your DNA.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
how did they make the first hammer? I have always wondered this

e: i once did a class where we made a knife with a hammer, I am no stranger to hammers, I have just always been curious about the first hammer

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It was a rock.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
First hammer was definitely a rock.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
What is a rock but a type of hammer though. Thus the first hammer was forged in the fires of a mighty volcano

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
have you guys ever tried to hit something with a rock? might not be as easy as it seems

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do car windows count?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Stalizard posted:

have you guys ever tried to hit something with a rock? might not be as easy as it seems

Grog wasn't making dovetail joinery for his cave though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
green rock good for most cave-owners because it most important to have correct rock for task
professional rock user want red, yellow, or blue rock

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Warranty service on green rock is terrible. keep your stone tablets!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Stalizard posted:

obviously the next thing I'm going to buy is an impact so I can hear that super fun rattle can sound, if there are any other air tools you guys like better than their plug in equivalents I'm all ears

If you're on SA then you should probably get an air duster, which is my most used air tool by volume.

(By incidence is tyre inflator)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Stalizard posted:

I got a stapler because we're gonna have to stick a lot of chicken wire to some 2x4s and I got a tire inflator because no matter how hard she tries my wife manages to drive over every nail and screw in the road, if there are any other air tools that are have an obvious advantage over their corded brethren I am here to listen to you and buy them.

For car stuff an air chisel/air hammer. And if you live in the rust belt a needle scaler.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I mean finding and maybe sculpting down a rock to use as a hammer is hard, but that just means they were valuable and you kept track of your good rock. A lot more valuable in context than a $10 hammer today.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Handheld sandblaster for cleaning up parts of things that don't fit in a cabinet.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Trabant posted:

Grog wasn't making dovetail joinery for his cave though.

Those finger joints loving owned though. Real fingers.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

zachol posted:

I mean finding and maybe sculpting down a rock to use as a hammer is hard, but that just means they were valuable and you kept track of your good rock. A lot more valuable in context than a $10 hammer today.

Maybe a rock, maybe a branch with a rock embedded in the end. Your paleo multi-tool, so to speak.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My grandpa used to find these in his field in Montana.

These are obviously much more sophisticated than a plain rock, but while they no doubt required a good amount of time and skill to make they didn't need much in the way of technology or difficult-to-acquire materials.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Microliths are a more complete tool system than red green blue or yellow

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

CommonShore posted:

Microliths are a more complete tool system than red green blue or yellow

festool is a drop-in replacement, though, with better dust collection

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

canyoneer posted:

green rock good for most cave-owners because it most important to have correct rock for task

:discourse:

Now I want caveman tool reviews on YouTube. Primitive Technology guy better watch his back.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

zachol posted:

Yeah. I recall reading an article years ago (which I can't find so maybe I imagined it) about making stone age flint axes. There's a lot of care that goes into selecting the right piece and an hour or two of preparation, all coming down to the moment of truth where you make the first split. If you screw it up, the whole effort is wasted and you start over. If you succeed in getting the right shape, you get to then do several hours of grinding to sharpen it.

Closest I found on Google was this article from an experiment done by archaeologists in 1982.
https://tidsskrift.dk/jda/article/download/126138/172511/265779
Prior research suggested it probably took ~36 hours of labor to make a good flint axe. The experimenters in the article could grind a sample to a quality that matches found pieces in 8-10 hours. It is difficult and tedious work at best.
Also pretty cool to see that Really Nice flint axes made from stone not local to the area turn up in gravesites all over.

Lemme introduce you to my man Groog. He makes the best axes you've ever seen. His rate is expensive, but worth it for the quality you get. Buy nice or buy twice, right? You only live once, and probably then only to like 35

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Am I missing something or are the only plunge routers within a reasonable price range that have trigger activation the super cheap options? Like talking Wen and Harbor Freight, everything else is a switch on the router body. It seems like that would be the standard for something that wasn't a fixed/plunge combo.

DeWalt does have the trigger on the D handle, but that's a fixed base.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Caveman Harbor Freight was just using an especially hard piece of wood instead of a rock. Yeah you'll break a bunch of them, but sticks are cheap.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Scarodactyl posted:

My grandpa used to find these in his field in Montana.

These are obviously much more sophisticated than a plain rock, but while they no doubt required a good amount of time and skill to make they didn't need much in the way of technology or difficult-to-acquire materials.

I like the style of stone hand mauls/pile drivers from the PNW/SW BC. They have a certain je ne sais quoi not found in modern tools. This one is a bit abstract but other examples would require a NSFW tag:

Or maybe ethnographers here were extremely naive and hammering on things was a minor secondary function of these tools. :shrug:

canyoneer posted:

Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses › Tool thread: that's how people did it for hundreds thousands of years and it worked just fine

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 16, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Hexigrammus posted:

I like the style of stone hand mauls/pile drivers from the PNW/SW BC. They have a certain je ne sais quoi not found in modern tools. This one is a bit abstract but other examples would require a NSFW tag:

Or maybe ethnographers here were extremely naive and hammering on things was a minor secondary function of these tools. :shrug:

Nah, I bet they were hammering on just about everything.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Hexigrammus posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/feb/20/its-not-a-darning-tool-its-a-very-naughty-toy-roman-dildo-found

quote:

What it definitely is not is what it was catalogued as after its discovery at the Roman fort of Vindolanda in Northumberland in 1992: a darning tool.

“I have to confess,” said Newcastle University archaeology senior lecturer Rob Collins, “part of me thinks it’s kind of self-evident that it is a penis. I don’t know who entered it into the catalogue. Maybe it was somebody uncomfortable with it or didn’t think the Romans would do such silly things.”

NWS if you're a descendant of The Lost Legion, I suppose:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yeah, cave people liked to gently caress.
Check out the movie Quest For Fire some time.

A bunch of cave babes run a reverse train on an imprisoned cave dude. Among other cave fuckin'.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sash! posted:

Caveman Harbor Freight was just using an especially hard piece of wood instead of a rock. Yeah you'll break a bunch of them, but sticks are cheap.

grog never trust a stick or rock from Harbor Cave if its failure will kill grog

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Gary Larson comics always had the best cave man names.

Grog, thag, gak etc...

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Bob Mundon posted:

Am I missing something or are the only plunge routers within a reasonable price range that have trigger activation the super cheap options? Like talking Wen and Harbor Freight, everything else is a switch on the router body. It seems like that would be the standard for something that wasn't a fixed/plunge combo.

DeWalt does have the trigger on the D handle, but that's a fixed base.

What’s the use case you’re going for? If it’s just “I don’t want to have to worry about this thing spinning a million miles a second until I’m ready to” you can do what I do for my in-table router and add a foot activation switch to the power cord, but that assumes yours is corded.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Schiavona posted:

What’s the use case you’re going for? If it’s just “I don’t want to have to worry about this thing spinning a million miles a second until I’m ready to” you can do what I do for my in-table router and add a foot activation switch to the power cord, but that assumes yours is corded.

I just hate having to take a hand off to start it up and shut it off, and it would be nice to have it shut off if I released it as a deadman switch.

Not that it happens all the time or anything, but if for whatever reason it were to slip out of my hand having it shut off instead of spinning at eleventy billion RPMs seems like a natural thing to add. I want to say my dad's 30 year old router had a trigger too, its just confusing to me why that's not more normal. A tool like that has two handles for a reason, you should be able to operate it without having to take your hand off to start and again to stop it.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Bob Mundon posted:

I just hate having to take a hand off to start it up and shut it off, and it would be nice to have it shut off if I released it as a deadman switch.

Not that it happens all the time or anything, but if for whatever reason it were to slip out of my hand having it shut off instead of spinning at eleventy billion RPMs seems like a natural thing to add. I want to say my dad's 30 year old router had a trigger too, its just confusing to me why that's not more normal. A tool like that has two handles for a reason, you should be able to operate it without having to take your hand off to start and again to stop it.

Makes sense. I use this footswitch for my corded router mounted in my router table, it comes back in stock pretty often.

https://taytools.com/products/compact-2-step-machine-foot-switch

For my battery powered one, I bought one of 3x3 customs router jigs, the two handles make it pretty easy to control safely (at least it seems so, I just set it up this weekend), though I do still need to turn it on and off with the switch.

https://www.3x3custom.com/store/6-in-1-universal-trim-router-jig

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Wen sells a similar foot switch that I use on my drill press and my router table. https://www.amazon.com/WEN-WA0392-15-Amp-Momentary-Woodworking/dp/B08BZX4XGY

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tracecomplete posted:

Wen sells a similar foot switch that I use on my drill press and my router table. https://www.amazon.com/WEN-WA0392-15-Amp-Momentary-Woodworking/dp/B08BZX4XGY

I use this for my parts washer, works great.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

tracecomplete posted:

I also use this one, for my scrollsaw, works great.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I finally joined the Ryobi cordless ecosystem by way of a $15 DeWalt battery adapter. Now I can buy many tools that I'd like to have for occasional use and don't want to pay $dewalt for.

It was just my father in law's birthday, and my wife is a very thoughtful gift giver (exhibit A, my prior post in this thread with the Silva Brothers Construction shirt and carpenter pencil she got me). DIY types can be hard to shop for, because the stuff they don't have already is usually either because they don't want it or because it's a big dollar item.
His favorite creative hobby is wood turning, and he just bought himself a rad new 24" Laguna lathe this year. He is very good about wearing ear protection and a face shield, but does not have a shop apron. Some dude on Reddit recommended this one, and it's pretty great for $36. Padded shoulder straps, buckle on waist strap, long coverage, nothing hanging or dangling up front, and the pockets and pouches either have an overhanging flap or zip closed to keep out sawdust. Only complaint is that the elastic strap yoke that keeps the shoulder straps positioned correctly works well, but makes it a bit tricky to get into and out of the apron.
https://a.co/d/9DRohQS

To add the personal touch, my wife painted the front pocket with his family's cattle brand symbol, which has been used continuously by several generations of his family since 1886.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

canyoneer posted:

I finally joined the Ryobi cordless ecosystem by way of a $15 DeWalt battery adapter. Now I can buy many tools that I'd like to have for occasional use and don't want to pay $dewalt for.

It was just my father in law's birthday, and my wife is a very thoughtful gift giver (exhibit A, my prior post in this thread with the Silva Brothers Construction shirt and carpenter pencil she got me). DIY types can be hard to shop for, because the stuff they don't have already is usually either because they don't want it or because it's a big dollar item.
His favorite creative hobby is wood turning, and he just bought himself a rad new 24" Laguna lathe this year. He is very good about wearing ear protection and a face shield, but does not have a shop apron. Some dude on Reddit recommended this one, and it's pretty great for $36. Padded shoulder straps, buckle on waist strap, long coverage, nothing hanging or dangling up front, and the pockets and pouches either have an overhanging flap or zip closed to keep out sawdust. Only complaint is that the elastic strap yoke that keeps the shoulder straps positioned correctly works well, but makes it a bit tricky to get into and out of the apron.
https://a.co/d/9DRohQS

To add the personal touch, my wife painted the front pocket with his family's cattle brand symbol, which has been used continuously by several generations of his family since 1886.

I went this same way. Buy the Ryobi tire inflator its worth every penny the time you actually need to use it.

e: also that's a really cool gift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

canyoneer posted:

Did you just get one of the amazon cheapo or was there a particular brand?