Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Timby posted:

You don't know flat until you've driven through Iowa on I-80 west of Des Moines, and then across the entirety of Nebraska west of Lincoln.

Yeah, but that’s really pushing the bounds of NFC North territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I-88 from Aurora to the Mississippi is pretty loving flat too. The Mississippi palisades are pretty nice if you want to natural landscapes in the middle of the Midwest.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Timby posted:

You don't know flat until you've driven through Iowa on I-80 west of Des Moines, and then across the entirety of Nebraska west of Lincoln.

Drove through that stretch when moving from Chicago to Portland and it is the most boring drive I’ve experienced and I’ve driven through downstate IL and (shudders) IN plenty. Wisconsin’s not bad at all, especially compared to most of the rest of the midwest. The upper midwest is a bit of a hidden gem when it comes to natural beauty tho

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The worst part of the country to drive through is the Texas panhandle.

Trust me

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pontius Pilate posted:

Drove through that stretch when moving from Chicago to Portland and it is the most boring drive I’ve experienced and I’ve driven through downstate IL and (shudders) IN plenty. Wisconsin’s not bad at all, especially compared to most of the rest of the midwest. The upper midwest is a bit of a hidden gem when it comes to natural beauty tho
Both times I moved to and from northern California (North of Sacramento, so right off i80) it was winter so we avoided the snow and went south first, you get to see the American south west that way and it's a better drive into you hit Texas

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 16, 2023

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Trust me

The drive from Dallas to Albuquerque is so singularly uninteresting for so long that you start to wonder if you’ve somehow been going in circles because surely you would have passed *something* notable by now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Northwest Illinois, from East Dubuque to Rockford, has plenty of incredible scenery, too, especially as you move through the Galena Territories.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

HootTheOwl posted:

Birth times I moved to and from northern California (North of Sacramento, so right off i80) it was winter so we avoided the snow and went south first, you get to see the American south west that way and it's a better drive into you hit Texas

It was winter as well so this was the southerly route, it just diverges around SLC (84 to Portland, 80 to sacromento since they’re about 600 miles apart [west big]) and even the more mundane parts of Idaho and eastern Oregon are still vastly better than the windy depopulated hellscape of Nebraska

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Southern Minnesota is also boring. I've only seen the eastern half of I-90 in MN but I can't imagine the western part isn't any better.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Once again proving that the Great Lakes parts of all these states (including Texas) are much better than the plains parts. In conclusion, Michigan wins again.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I don't get you people complaining about boring long distance drives. I remember driving through mountains the first time going through Pennsylvania and the drivers were all crazy and it just made me anxious. Give me boring every time.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I much prefer taking a train to a long drive, where possible and practical. Last year I had work trips to both St. Louis and Detroit, from Chicago. Took Amtrak for both trips and it was great. I even streamed an entire Thursday Night Football game on the train back from Detroit to my laptop.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
Being able to just set cruise in a direction and drive until you need to refuel is almost therapeutic if you only need to do it in small doses.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I much prefer taking a train to a long drive, where possible and practical. Last year I had work trips to both St. Louis and Detroit, from Chicago. Took Amtrak for both trips and it was great. I even streamed an entire Thursday Night Football game on the train back from Detroit to my laptop.

Absolutely. Because it isn't safe for me to fly anymore, and I can't drive due to my legs and back, I take buses or trains anywhere. Last year around this time, my now-ex-girlfriend and I took an Amtrak trip out east and it was a lot of fun, even though the schedule was compressed because her ex was being a pill about how long they wanted to keep the kids.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I prefer driving by the Great Lakes, or at least the Wisconsin/Niagra escarpment. Inland WI doesn’t hold much for me. It’s a fine state, all things considered, but flat roads with no turns or hills make for a boring drive.

I hear ya, just mean the southwest portion of the state is really hilly with roads cut between rock walls, etc. It's pretty neat.

The other parts of the state though, yeah - can't disagree there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I hear ya, just mean the southwest portion of the state is really hilly with roads cut between rock walls, etc. It's pretty neat.

The other parts of the state though, yeah - can't disagree there.

Oh, absolutely. Highway 151 between Dubuque and Madison is packed with great scenery.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Timby posted:

Oh, absolutely. Highway 151 between Dubuque and Madison is packed with great scenery.

Try going from Dubuque to La Crosse. Be sure to go through Prairie du Chien so you get the riverside road.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Try going from Dubuque to La Crosse. Be sure to go through Prairie du Chien so you get the riverside road.

Done that several times, because my ex-wife and I would go through La Crosse on our way up to her family property in rural Marinette County.

And PDC is gorgeous.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Basically anywhere in here loving sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9zS94qn6Ok

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SirPablo posted:

Basically anywhere in here loving sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9zS94qn6Ok

To be fair, that depends on your definition of "sucks". Based on that thumbnail, you've got Big Bend National Park, Wind Cave, Badlands, TR, Devil's Tower NM...

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Trust me

I did this in mid-June in a car without air conditioning. Would not recommend. If you trust that your alignment is true, you could probably just put a brick on your accelerator and fall asleep at the wheel on I-40. The smell of the slaughterhouse will wake you up.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey Minnesota people, how's Nickelodeon Universe, any good?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I did this in mid-June in a car without air conditioning. Would not recommend. If you trust that your alignment is true, you could probably just put a brick on your accelerator and fall asleep at the wheel on I-49. The smell of the slaughterhouse will wake you up.

https://twitter.com/hankquotes/status/702696570312065024?lang=en

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MJeff posted:

if that's the rebranded Camp Snoopy then yeah it's pretty decent

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I used to live in Winona which is a really beautiful area. My favorite part of living along the Mississippi is you got both the Wisconsin and Minnesota Fox/CBS stations. So you would be able to watch both the Vikings and Packers are the same time. This was back before RedZone and when I was too poor for Sunday Ticket.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

MJeff posted:

I haven't been but apparently the roller coasters are way better than they were back when it was Camp Snoopy

This but the smell of the sugar beet factories along the ND border

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Cedar Rapids, IA had a very strong cereal smell last time I was there. I swear it permeated the whole city.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Battle Creek smells like cereal all the time. The neighborhoods will smell like fruity pebbles when they change the production line over, then back to like cheerios and poo poo. Probably the best residual factory smell I’ve experienced

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

carry on then posted:

Southern Minnesota is also boring. I've only seen the eastern half of I-90 in MN but I can't imagine the western part isn't any better.

In fact it is worse.

I grew up in southeastern MN and we would drive to Iowa to see family and friends regularly, so my mind was blown the first time we went east and hit the Mississippi and learned not everything was just flat and farms in the surrounding area.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Western MN is also where we keep most of the racism. Better to steer clear.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I haven't been but apparently the roller coasters are way better than they were back when it was Camp Snoopy

Yeah I've recently become cuckoo for coasters, so that's what I'm mainly curious about.

Alright, new offseason topic. Who in the division has the best theme park. I contend that Michigan Adventure is one of the theme parks of all time.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

MJeff posted:

Yeah I've recently become cuckoo for coasters, so that's what I'm mainly curious about.

Alright, new offseason topic. Who in the division has the best theme park. I contend that Michigan Adventure is one of the theme parks of all time.

Does it need to still exist? If not the Lions and boblo island.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Cedar Rapids, IA had a very strong cereal smell last time I was there. I swear it permeated the whole city.

Better than Kaukauna, WI, which smells like microwaved dog poo poo because of the paper mills.

MJeff posted:

I haven't been there since college, so 20 years, but I have fond memories of Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, IL.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
https://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/32358/no-one-needs-cornerbacks-like-the-vikings-need-cornerbacks

the CB draft table in this article is pretty rough considering they are always and still are lacking depth at corner

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
Sadly I think Mason Crosby is either leaving on his own or getting booted to the curb. I'll miss that dude.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I'm very intrigued by what the Lions are going to do in the draft. Only thing I don't particularly want them to do is sell the farm to trade up for a QB, except maybe stroud.

This feels like the first time in a while where there doesn't seem to be a player the Lions are basically already married to picking.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dante Pettis...
Is BACK

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BigBeefCity posted:

Sadly I think Mason Crosby is either leaving on his own or getting booted to the curb. I'll miss that dude.

I wonder if he doesn't just straight up retire if he doesn't get retained by the Packers? He has like 3 kids here in Green Bay, can't see him uprooting his family to go play somewhere else for 1 season.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Scipiotik posted:

I'm very intrigued by what the Lions are going to do in the draft. Only thing I don't particularly want them to do is sell the farm to trade up for a QB, except maybe stroud.

This feels like the first time in a while where there doesn't seem to be a player the Lions are basically already married to picking.

I would vastly prefer they do that next year for Caleb.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wonder if he doesn't just straight up retire if he doesn't get retained by the Packers? He has like 3 kids here in Green Bay, can't see him uprooting his family to go play somewhere else for 1 season.

Robbie Gould and his family still live in Chicago. Now Green Bay is probably harder to fly into and out of regularly than Chicago. But it's doable.

Alternatively, maybe he and his family can't wait to leave lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

MJeff posted:

I would vastly prefer they do that next year for Caleb.

Agreed, if they can move back and pick up a 2024 1st or second that would be nice in case Goff sucks but the team still has a decent record.