Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

oh jay posted:

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016080
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-385/chapter/34660?action=read

I really hate it when a character is going to do a big thing, gets distracted by the smallest thing, and then doesn't. His excuse of "every second counts" falls pretty flat when he also goes out of his way to mug to the camera.

AFO was really worried about Mineta's claim that he'd become cringe and decided not to go through with his original plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I already said I hate it. No need to convince me further.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

AFO was really worried about Mineta's claim that he'd become cringe and decided not to go through with his original plan.

Fair point.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Would AFO’s Dark Shadow still be a bird, or would it be a dude?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Would AFO’s Dark Shadow still be a bird, or would it be a dude?
Im guessing theres some bit of the user there so proba ly just a dude or giant hand.

The more distressing thing is DS is sentient

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Im guessing theres some bit of the user there so proba ly just a dude or giant hand.

The more distressing thing is DS is sentient

It's the only sentient quirk in the series too I think. I would have preferred it if AFO did manage to take it only for Dark Shadow to immediately turn on him and start tearing him apart from the inside until he gave it back. It would have been a better justification for him to just go 'gently caress this poo poo I'm out' than a nothing threat from freaking Mineta.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 17, 2023

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
this might be because i keep taking 4-5 weeks off and then reading 4-5 chapters, but i am really finding it difficult to keep up with what's even going on here.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The funniest thing about this chapter is that Mineta didn't do anything bad, and he still is tied to one of the most objectionable parts that upsets people. :allears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tbp posted:

this might be because i keep taking 4-5 weeks off and then reading 4-5 chapters, but i am really finding it difficult to keep up with what's even going on here.

No, it's just increasingly unhinged and difficult to follow even if you're reading it as it comes out. Horikoshi felt the need to draw a loving map diagram to try to explain where the hell everyone was in relation to each other and what their respective objectives were, presumably because he realized that everything had became a nonsense mush.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

That map was hilariously superfluous anyway. It shows who's fight AFO, and then the very next page it shows them fighting AFO. No information was actually conveyed.

Compared to the map in the USJ invasion, where it was novel to see where everyone was teleported to in relation to each other, even if they weren't going to be a part of the main fight.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It does show how all of the fighting has converged onto three main spots(only for All For One to end things and make it just two spots). I think the only ones not in one of those three areas right now is Aoyama and Fatgum, who were last seen being confronted by one of AfO's last assassins way at the start of this whole thing.

Also I don't think All Might has been seen in months and I'm like, half certain he's gonna show up in a mech suit or something soon to fight AfO one last time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I will be genuinely shocked if All Might isn't killed in order for him to become a vestige inside of Deku.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I will be genuinely shocked if All Might isn't killed in order for him to become a vestige inside of Deku.

I just realized there's no All Might vestige, which raises so many questions about the nature of vestiges/Quirks/souls

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Huh? There (kinda) is one

Ch194,p2

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, but he's not "real," he's not fully formed and he doesn't get lines or anything. That's still weird to me, I dunno. Kind of a half measure that also raises many questions, lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, isn't it half formed because he's still alive

Wait

What

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, isn't it half formed because he's still alive

Wait

What

Yeah that's the weird part. If these are just genetic memories then there should be a fully formed All Might in Deku's head because he passed it on and the quirk is completely burnt out of him, but the half-formed ghostly All Might(because the real one's still alive) implies some kind of metaphysical soul thing going on.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm guessing that might mean he still technically has some of the quirk, so the other half is inside himself?

I hope so because the only other explanation I can think of is it means that quirk ghosts are actually just souls

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, New Order attempting to destroy Shigaraki from the inside lends way more credence to the "soul" thing.

It's just not very consistent, is my confusion. Like, your Quirk is just your soul, let's go with that, but what if your Quirk gets erased or stolen and you're still alive?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I still don't understand what the point was meant to be, for obscuring the identity of the Second and Third holders.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Might be a good idea in case I wanna make it a twist"

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Why didn't AFO take the half a second to kill Tokoyami and the rest of the heroes on the ground before leaving, even if actually taking Tokoyami's quirk would have taken too long? He took way longer than that standing still and listening to Mineta. Also talking to Hawks. Are we seriously supposed to believe it would have taken longer for him to go over to Tokoyami and steal Dark Shadow than he spent talking poo poo? Or is he just a moron with zero time management skills?

Why is Hawks's quirk garbage? Is it just damaged after his wings got damaged, or is it supposed to always have been "putrid, festering"? Did Machia seriously just get unceremoniously killed by AFO after doing gently caress all? I'm just really confused by everything in this chapter.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Do quirkless people have souls

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlestonJew posted:

Do quirkless people have souls

the answer is clearly no

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Since All Might was quirkless to begin with, did Nana giving him OfA produce a soul for him out of nothing?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Maybe that's the real reason All Might doesn't have a real vestige, he didn't have a soul to form one out of.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Deku is also half-formed in the vestige realm but was able to force himself to become clearer with willpower so maybe it's a mental thing for Deku? All Might won't show up there because he's still alive in Deku's mind.

Staltran posted:

Why is Hawks's quirk garbage? Is it just damaged after his wings got damaged, or is it supposed to always have been "putrid, festering"?

I think this was AFO just being a spiteful dickhead. He wouldn't have stolen it if it sucked and obviously it doesn't because he's the number 2 Hero.

It could also be a case of AFO valuing raw power over-complicated, hard-to-use quirks but I think spite it more consistent.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is where "Quirk" kinda doesn't work where the literal translation of "individuality" works.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Lmao, if that ancient janky fan translation that used individuality instead of quirk was actually correct all along.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is about where localized dialogue should actually use the word "individuality," even if they're making it clear in context that it's being used metaphorically to refer to a Quirk. Or in some other way draw a direct parallel between the concept of Quirk-as-power and as a representation of a person's individuality.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm a Quirky individual

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It will make even less sense in other languages where other choices were made for translation. I think in the French translation it's "Alter"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Deku's Individuality vs. Luffy's Ambition

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

isnt the archaic term meta ability (extraordinary ability in jp) anyway?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wanna say that they mentioned somewhere that All Might only has a half formed vestige because he didn't have a quirk originally. Maybe it was when Deku had his meeting with the other quirk ghosts just after the war arc?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I just read "mutant power" whenever I see "quirk" and it never steers me wrong. They are all mutants. Magneto won.

OK, not all of them.

Anyway I figure this is AFO monologuing to gently caress with Hawks, because yeah, he could probably shower the entire zip code with laser bone shrapnel and kill all living things, but he doesn't want to kill all living things, he wants to own his posting enemies. He might not even kill Hawks or Tokoyami after taking their quirks because he wants them to feel despair and grief at their defeat.

I predict he will go steal Mt. Lady's quirk

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I predict that that single Mineta ball on his butt will lead to All For One's final downfall.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I wanna say that they mentioned somewhere that All Might only has a half formed vestige because he didn't have a quirk originally. Maybe it was when Deku had his meeting with the other quirk ghosts just after the war arc?

Yes. Those aren't their "souls" in the mindpace, it's their quirk factors. All Might shouldn't there at all because he has no quirk but something something he made OFA his own.

I think it's a dumb explanation but it's the one we were given, and it will probably stand because I can't think of any satisfying twist that could come from changing it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Vigilantes also had force ghosts and directly tied them to the mortality of the owners.

Also everyone in jump is dying. Gege and Tataba are both taking breaks

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I predict that that single Mineta ball on his butt will lead to All For One's final downfall.

I hope so, just because everyone being extremely angry about Mineta doing something useful and not horny would give me immense entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

lmao this chapter just touched on every issue I have with him as a writer huh?