Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Beef Of Ages posted:

In other news, I'm going to play a fun game of guessing how many things can go wrong over the next eleven days.

Assuming you're flying QR, know both that they will keep serving you booze, and you will get side-eye from peninsular Arabs sitting nearby as you get it. Also DOH is clean and well-organized but there's poo poo all to do beyond shopping once you get the mandated picture of lamp bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
are the domestic connections actual visits, or were you just too stubborn to fly out of ORD to cut some legs?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

JohnCompany posted:

Assuming you're flying QR, know both that they will keep serving you booze, and you will get side-eye from peninsular Arabs sitting nearby as you get it. Also DOH is clean and well-organized but there's poo poo all to do beyond shopping once you get the mandated picture of lamp bear.

I am (QSuites son) and will already be getting plenty of side-eye via being a giant white guy; the booze is a bonus in this case. Thankfully my layovers on both ends are in the two and a half hour range so it's good time for a quick shower and not being on a plane for a few minutes. I need to go look up the lamp bear thing because I'm not familiar.

Mandalay posted:

are the domestic connections actual visits, or were you just too stubborn to fly out of ORD to cut some legs?

I'm flying out of MKE on Friday because I live here and my wife and I are going to a show on Thursday night in Madison so flying out on Friday makes sense after we drive back home. There was no cost effective way to get to BOS for the QR outbound leg other than to go through LGA; ORD options were both worse timing and much more expensive as I pay for my own upgrades out of pocket for domestic flights. Coming back via SEA made sense to drop the QR J fare from $8k to $5k (I run my own travel budget at work) and I need to be in AUS on the 22nd for my grandfather's 90th birthday. Because my wife is flying out of MKE to get to AUS earlier that week, flying back to MKE via a connection made more sense than doing a non-stop to ORD and then having a one-way car rental.

Which is all a really long way of saying that ORD is an option when it makes sense and it didn't in this case.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 12, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There’s a direct MKE-BOS legacy delta dartboard flight but the timings are atrocious

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Exactly, I didn't want to be stuck in the airport in Boston for like seven hours with bags and stuff. I've taken that flight before and it's nice when the timings work.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My hotel last night had a real door on the bathroom instead of a barn door. What a luxury.

Also, why can the workday app only attach photos of receipts, and not PDFs? I only need a receipt over $75, so it's almost always a pdf.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Delta IT is such a mess. After having somewhere between 4 and 8 GUCs this year depending on when I looked at it. I randomly get two $500 eCerts for wife and I getting moved from PS to Comfort+ because of an aircraft change on a flight back from Athens in November. 3 days later I get an e-mail saying I'm getting a partial refund for the downgrade and $400 more in cash. So for a 90K award ticket I got a trip to Athens, 20K refunded in miles, $500 credit, and $400 cash. 2x. Seems fair.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I can report that QSuites is a goddamn civilized way to travel.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
the QSuites are glorious. The problem IMO was the bedding was weak for me—I hate their white disposable pillows (with the influencer tags) and the purple one is not comfy either.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Arzakon posted:

Delta IT is such a mess. After having somewhere between 4 and 8 GUCs this year depending on when I looked at it. I randomly get two $500 eCerts for wife and I getting moved from PS to Comfort+ because of an aircraft change on a flight back from Athens in November. 3 days later I get an e-mail saying I'm getting a partial refund for the downgrade and $400 more in cash. So for a 90K award ticket I got a trip to Athens, 20K refunded in miles, $500 credit, and $400 cash. 2x. Seems fair.
The $500 eCert is the goodwill, and the partial refund/cash ($400 and 20k miles) was what they were legally supposed to provide—but this sounds more generous than usual, possibly because you're Diamond.

Also you basically got to fly for free, yay!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arzakon posted:

Take it and run!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's not business travel, but I managed to snag a round trip G ticket for 2 from YYZ to HND for 3700 USD + 25k miles, which I'm very happy about.

Every single international flight I've ever been on has been crammed in main, so I'm very excited.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KillHour posted:

It's not business travel, but I managed to snag a round trip G ticket for 2 from YYZ to HND for 3700 USD + 25k miles, which I'm very happy about.

Every single international flight I've ever been on has been crammed in main, so I'm very excited.

G?

Business class?

(Usually it’s abbreviated F (first), J (business), or Y+/PE (premium economy).)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is it a spicy take to find Singapore airlines to be just alright?

I forgot the business seat had strange recline. It’s either the bed you flip down or a pretty basic recline?

I did enjoy the food and book the cook and it’s options rock. I was just struggling with the seat and having to ask for an eye mask or any amenities

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

G?

Business class?

(Usually it’s abbreviated F (first), J (business), or Y+/PE (premium economy).)

I wasn't sure if "Premium Select" counted as F or J.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

i fly airplanes posted:

The $500 eCert is the goodwill, and the partial refund/cash ($400 and 20k miles) was what they were legally supposed to provide—but this sounds more generous than usual, possibly because you're Diamond.

Also you basically got to fly for free, yay!

Legally I assume some partial refund on the miles would have been due but I didn't even bother filling out a form because it was just a single leg downgrade from PS. The double up on the money/credit in separate apology e-mails days apart was what makes me think it is unintentional.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KillHour posted:

I wasn't sure if "Premium Select" counted as F or J.

Yeah, that’s what most airlines brand as “premium economy.” Basically, the same thing as US domestic first class — unless you’re flying one of the select transcons that use international business seats.

Generally international business* involves seats that can go fully flat, and the lines between international business and international first (where’s it’s offered) get pretty blurry.

* Except on short international flights using 737s or similar equipment where premium economy gets rebranded as business.

Cause that’s not confusing. At all.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

Yeah, that’s what most airlines brand as “premium economy.” Basically, the same thing as US domestic first class — unless you’re flying one of the select transcons that use international business seats.

Generally international business* involves seats that can go fully flat, and the lines between international business and international first (where’s it’s offered) get pretty blurry.

* Except on short international flights using 737s or similar equipment where premium economy gets rebranded as business.

Cause that’s not confusing. At all.

It's Delta, so the only lie-flat stuff is Delta One, which is eye wateringly expensive. I don't think what people used to think of as "international business" exists anymore for the American companies.

Although, now that I'm staring at this itinerary, is my outbound even reasonably possible?

I think the layover in MSP is probably doable, even though I'll have to go through customs since I'm landing from Toronto, but that SEA layover? Won't I have to go from the domestic side to the international side and make it through security again? I've never flown through SEA, so I have no idea how much of a shitshow it is.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

No security/customs between B gates and S gates but you do have to walk to a train and go one stop. DL751 is usually early and you better hope it is that day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

It's Delta, so the only lie-flat stuff is Delta One, which is eye wateringly expensive. I don't think what people used to think of as "international business" exists anymore for the American companies.

Although, now that I'm staring at this itinerary, is my outbound even reasonably possible?

I think the layover in MSP is probably doable, even though I'll have to go through customs since I'm landing from Toronto, but that SEA layover? Won't I have to go from the domestic side to the international side and make it through security again? I've never flown through SEA, so I have no idea how much of a shitshow it is.

It's all behind the security line, you won't have to do it again That is an aggressive connection time but is doable.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midjack posted:

It's all behind the security line, you won't have to do it again That is an aggressive connection time but is doable.

This is my other option. Is it any better? I feel like no.

Edit: This is the one I actually originally wanted, but it throws an error saying it's sold out every time I try to change to it, even though it's still there when it reloads the page.

Should I call? I lost my status because I stopped flying for work since COVID so they probably don't give a poo poo enough to help.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 16, 2023

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You'll probably do preclearance in YYZ for what that's worth.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

7 months out I guarantee you will have some sort of schedule change on 1 or more of those flights that either makes it literally impossible or a breeze.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

This is my other option. Is it any better? I feel like no.

Edit: This is the one I actually originally wanted, but it throws an error saying it's sold out every time I try to change to it, even though it's still there when it reloads the page.

Should I call? I lost my status because I stopped flying for work since COVID so they probably don't give a poo poo enough to help.

A half hour connect at any airport is risky. I'd call and at least ask why you can't book the one you want.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

You should call, that's a way better itinerary. Also i think a new Sky Club is opening in MSP soon that will be nice to check out. The one in LA is great, I love the patio.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It took 90 minutes with multiple agents saying "This doesn't make any sense" but it turned out to be a hardware change that hosed up their system. They moved me to that same flight, just on Monday instead of Tuesday, which worked fine for me.

Edit: I'm now looking for recommendations for places to stay and things to do/eat in Tokyo and Kyoto for about 2 and a half weeks if anyone has any good ideas.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 16, 2023

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Midjack posted:

A half hour connect at any airport is risky. I'd call and at least ask why you can't book the one you want.

This, especially with DTW where you risk the McNamara sprint if your connecting gate is far. I’ll chance 30 minutes in certain hubs (ATL, MSP), largely on a risk basis of “it’s probably not the last connection there for the day” with where I tend to go. That goes out the window on a multi leg, and I’m more squirrelly on DTW than I used to be since they’re starting to get some service cuts.

i fly airplanes posted:

You should call, that's a way better itinerary. Also i think a new Sky Club is opening in MSP soon that will be nice to check out. The one in LA is great, I love the patio.

The new sky club in LAX is objectively the best club in the airport now and might be the single best sky club in terms of vibe now. It’s horribly located relative to some others, since it’s really in the middle of 2 and 3, but it’s a welcome improvement from when I moved to LAX a couple years ago and all of Delta domestic was running out of 2 and packed like a sardine can.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don’t think DTW is all that risky and I find MSP to be worse. DTW gets potentially bad if you’re going mainline/Connection or vice versa, but otherwise the tram in A will get you where you need to go pretty fast.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Well right now my plane into MSP is supposed to land at F4 and my AMS plane takes off from G4 so my 45 min layover may not be completely screwed.

Welp my first flight got delayed so I’m on a later connection. No rush now but I also won’t be in Comfort+ for an 8 hour flight. Sigh.

Riven fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 16, 2023

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Got back into Comfort+ only for the plane to go through 3 hours of repairs with us on board before they finally canceled it and gave us hotel vouchers. I used mine and now can’t access my Lyft voucher to get back to the airport. Thankfully I don’t HAVE to be in AMS until tomorrow morning, but the flight they rebooked me on that leaves in 6 hours is already delayed 40 minutes.

I could not have picked a better time to get a platinum amex, as at least I have lounge access and got an upgrade at the hotel.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

So, what’s up with southwest?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

So, what’s up with southwest?

They requested a national ground stop due to equipment issues. No idea what the equipment issues are.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Update: They had a firewall go down that blocked communication between parts of their network.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I want to say "do not want to fly southwest anymore" but then I remember American has been doing boarding check in by giving your name and seat assignment verbally for like three months now :psyduck:

I'm just stunned at how bad airline computer systems actually work in the field in 2023. Nothing has fundamentally changed about their business in almost 100 years and they keep getting kneecapped by really simple stuff

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I want to say "do not want to fly southwest anymore" but then I remember American has been doing boarding check in by giving your name and seat assignment verbally for like three months now :psyduck:

I'm just stunned at how bad airline computer systems actually work in the field in 2023. Nothing has fundamentally changed about their business in almost 100 years and they keep getting kneecapped by really simple stuff

Any money that could have been spent on improving infrastructure got spent on stock buybacks and executive compensation.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Two weekends ago, coming back through ATL from JNB, I decided to try and crawl through all nine SkyClubs at ATL over ~4 hours, following the Reddit "rules" (no using train, one drink each, etc.). My flight back to SEA was not fun.

Landed from JNB, through customs, then went: F, E, D, D, C, T, A, A, B. Ended with about 15 minutes to spare.

It's a fun adventure to do... once. I mostly rotated through mimosas and vodka cranberries, with a beer in the D SkyClub and ending with the 19th hole in honor of the Masters.

movax fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 18, 2023

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

movax posted:

Two weekends ago, coming back through ATL from JNB, I decided to try and crawl through all nine SkyClubs at ATL over ~4 hours, following the Reddit "rules" (no using train, one drink each, etc.). My flight back to SEA was not fun.

Landed from JNB, through customs, then went: F, E, D, D, C, T, A, A, B. Ended with about 15 minutes to spare.

It's a fun adventure to do... once. I mostly rotated through mimosas and vodka cranberries, with a beer in the D SkyClub and ending with the 19th hole in honor of the Masters.

AND?! which one was the best? what's the ranking?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i fly airplanes posted:

AND?! which one was the best? what's the ranking?

Oh man -- I don't know if I remember enough for a cohesive ranking. I do remember one of the D concourse clubs having only a single bathroom and being rather small, which sucked. I have only a vague memory of the PF Chang's A Concourse Club.

I want to say the C SkyClub struck a nice balance of not being tiny, but also not so large that it was full of 100s of people.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Holy poo poo Royal Jordanian moved my seat to a middle seat AT THE AIRPORT even though I have ow sapphire status and picked an aisle seat. Now they’re saying that I needed to pay for the seat? How? It showed $0 when I selected bc of my status entitlements.

Normally, whatever, I’m short and just put on headphones and/or sleep but holy poo poo it’s a 12 hour flight and I even called last night to confirm seats because I’ve had so many issues with RJ.

I swear the oneworld international carriers are going to be what makes me jump ship to United. BA is trash, RJ is awful, Iberian is ehh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Why do you need to fill in your god damned phone number and email address at every loving ihg hotel at check in? I booked through my account or using the app, good luck reading my carpal tunnel handwriting.

You're lucky I can remember the make and model of my rental.