Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Whooooah can you say more? This is so cool.

I inherited a bunch of staghorns, including quite a few sporelings in little containers like this:

I’ve been growing them out in this guy

Until they’re big enough to mount. So far I’ve mounted three and they’re doing ok!

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

One year's seeds, seven years' weeds.

Advice I will heed

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I lost a few of my favorite succulents this winter for stupid reasons, including a variegated echinopsis/lobivia hybrid that I found at a random-rear end big box store in NH and a bizarrely/wonderfully lime green Gymnocalicium that gave me three years of copious flowers, both of which succumbed to mealybugs due to my mental absence

but sometimes you get little rewards

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kreeningsons posted:

So we just purchased a house and all the existing outdoor plants are non-native, overgrown, or ugly as sin. The house was owned by a little old lady and has some established landscaping from the 1980s, but things look like they have been mostly ignored for at least the past few years. We’re planning to tear out a about 75-90% of the existing plants, but won’t have the means to do that until next year. Is it even worth mulching and keeping up on the weeding this year in anticipation of next year?

Even if you just run over em with the mower and throw cardboard + mulch on top of em now that'll make a big difference

Like, a layer of corrugated cardboard + an inch of wood chips will kill a lot of stuff.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is this the gardening thread? I'm getting more in to it in my limited, urban capacity

i live on the first floor of a building and my back windows look out on the bottom of an air shaft that is like a roof over the basement level. Its ugly and i've been working on making it a "secret roof garden but at the bottom of a hole" and i'm finally all set up now.

View from the hole:

Just finished building and weatherproofing a second planter box to grow veggies this summer which will compliment the planter box i built last year for flowers. Tung oil is amazing poo poo, wood looks brand new still after a year in the weather. Lugging 24 cubic feet of soil out the window to fill these boxes is not fun tho!

Got the two planters arranged to sort of fence off our window view from the dreary roof and make the most of the morning sun's location which shines directly on out little corner for about 2-3 hours in the summer months coming up.

Cut back all my overgrown daffys that were past prime now that the tulips just started popping open. Mixed bulbs were a great start to the year. The planters are right outside my kids window and she is loving the blooms and activity.

Dunno what i'll do yet for summer but i got a few weeks before the garden center is going to get all the summer veggies and flowers in so i can think it over.
Probably a lot of easy bright vincas for the flower bed, herbs of course, and i'll maybe try some tomatos and hot peppers and lettuces and see how they do.

Anyway if this is the general gardening hobby thread im happy to have found it and if not, thanks for looking at my bullshit

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just read the op. Sorry to have posted in the anti-gardening, succulent supremacy thread. I will post about my houseplants here later.
Mea culpa.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 17, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Just read the op. Sorry to have posted in the anti-gardening, succulent supremacy thread. I will post about my houseplants here later.
Can i get a link to the garden thread for my bullshit?
Mea culpa.

People like flowers and veggies here too and there’s plenty of overlap in posters. Love those tulips in such a strange space for them. I bet it gets an unusual amount of sun and heat and rain too. Best thing you can do before buying starts is figure out how many hours of light you get there and then be okay if stuff doesn’t work out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=502

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jhet posted:

People like flowers and veggies here too and there’s plenty of overlap in posters. Love those tulips in such a strange space for them. I bet it gets an unusual amount of sun and heat and rain too. Best thing you can do before buying starts is figure out how many hours of light you get there and then be okay if stuff doesn’t work out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=502

Cool thanks! Its full sun from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm in the summer when the sun can get high enough to peak over the buildings.
It is warmer than outside the hole since its a roof and not the ground i suppose and its protected from a lot of weather

Yeah the garden is mainly for experimenting, giving my kid an appreciation for flowers and plants the way my mom and grandpa did for me, and i'm very ready to fail - its a SECRET garden after all so no one will know what mistakes i make!

Oh and i saw someone planting eastern redbuds on the last page. Theres some gorgeous ones in the park here i took a photo today

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 17, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
From the looks of it you have "leggy" plants rather than "overgrown" per se, usually it's a result of the plant trying to get to a better light source or maximizing area to capture what it can.

As for gardening for kids: Something that is fun and easy to grow are nasturtiums, which will grow fairly well despite having shade. They're colorful, edible, and the seeds look like little brains. If you like spicy/peppery flavor, the flowers can be a surprising kick, and the leaves are used as a watercress substitute.

You can probably grow strawberries, particularly the kind you can't get in grocery stores, like wild strawberries, or the white varieties.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neeksy posted:

From the looks of it you have "leggy" plants rather than "overgrown" per se, usually it's a result of the plant trying to get to a better light source or maximizing area to capture what it can.

Well they might have been leggy but they were pretty spectacular a few weeks ago
Thanks for the tip on strawberries. That sounds perfect for my daughter to be in charge of planting and eating.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Thanks for the tip on strawberries. That sounds perfect for my daughter to be in charge of planting and eating.
Plus strawberries can overwinter, even here in chilly zone 6a (metro Detroit). Picture the look on your daughter's face as she spots their little green leaves re-emerging in very early spring. :3: Heck, it's a thrill for me, and I'm old and jaded.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Redbuds are great trees, but they're also weedy as heck. I have to pull them up all over the yard.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

Plus strawberries can overwinter, even here in chilly zone 6a (metro Detroit). Picture the look on your daughter's face as she spots their little green leaves re-emerging in very early spring. :3: Heck, it's a thrill for me, and I'm old and jaded.

They'll overwinter in 5a too! Mine are coming up, we will see how happy they are with lives after last night's surprise snow...

Though, I am tempted to tear my current ever bearing plants out and then pick up some June bearing variety so I don't have as wide of a season to be checking on the berries.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

captkirk posted:

Though, I am tempted to tear my current ever bearing plants out and then pick up some June bearing variety so I don't have as wide of a season to be checking on the berries.
Yeah, I admit I kind of want mine to die already. :ohdear: I have three to a pot, but not all of them come back, and they don't sell single plants around here. I'd also like to try other varieties now and then.

But they look lovely with their pretty leaves and charming flowers in their blue pots, I'll give them that. The berries taste great, too, if I can get them before the critters do.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Posting my houseplant success story:

I got one of these common house shrubs delivered on xmas eve when it was below zero and the idiots let it get too cold and shocked the leaves really badly the gorgeous plant looked like this within hours of signing for it.

But over the last 4 months ive nursed it back to having fresh growth and am watching my second healthy leaf unroll

Close call!
Any advice for when to trim the half dead leaves? I figure if they still are green and rigid the plant is probably still using them but idk

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 17, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Posting my houseplant success story:

I got one of these common house shrubs delivered on xmas eve when it was below zero and the idiots let it get too cold and shocked the leaves really badly the gorgeous plant looked like this within hours of signing for it.

But over the last 4 months ive nursed it back to having fresh growth and am watching my second healthy leaf unroll

Close call!
Any advice for when to trim the half dead leaves? I figure if they still are green and rigid the plant is probably still using them but idk

whenever, but preferably when they turn brown/yellow. Eventually they'll detach on their own.

Monsteras and their cousins are notoriously/wonderfully difficult to kill, I let a big one take frost damage this past autumn and it eventually dropped all of its leaves by christmas and now it's like twice as big as it was then with all of the new growth it's throwing out.

Eventually you'll want to put it on a thicker piece of wood or moss pole where its roots can anchor

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I threw a monstera cutting outside and forgot about it. It rooted, put up new growth, and survived a whole year until a 5 degree freeze came.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I threw a monstera cutting outside and forgot about it. It rooted, put up new growth, and survived a whole year until a 5 degree freeze came.

This reminds me to take a cutting so I can put it outside for the summer and have an enormous plant until the cold comes again. But it also gives me something to do with yet another monstera cutting.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Any cat owners here care to share their favorite houseplants that are safe for their little bastards? I've googled and very few of the plants I see appeal to me. Hoping that I'll find inspiration here.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

my cats tend to not eat most plants other than the grass and the catnip i grow for them, they'll rub against other things but they generally seem to not want to munch on them for whatever reason

just make sure you never get lilies, the pollen fucks up their livers something fierce

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I found this sad thing in the garbage room of my building. Looks like a bulb sticking out of the pot.
What is it and does it have a shot at a second act?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Looks to me like some vareity of Cyclamen. They're pretty hardy, you should be able to resuscitate it or even toss it in the garden if you've got mild winters.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I found this sad thing in the garbage room of my building. Looks like a bulb sticking out of the pot.
What is it and does it have a shot at a second act?

Cyclamen persicum hybrid, most likely! They are the ones you see in stores around the holidays, and are actually a bulb! They will often undergo a period of rest, and people throw them away thinking they're dead. You can pluck out the flowers that look like they're done, so the plant will have more space to do some leaf growth and/or not bother trying to support a useless/dead structure.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They stems droop and then spring back up immediately with watering. Like leave the room and come back its different looking. Spooky

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

VelociBacon posted:

Any cat owners here care to share their favorite houseplants that are safe for their little bastards? I've googled and very few of the plants I see appeal to me. Hoping that I'll find inspiration here.

I'm not a cat owner but most palms are nontoxic. Do NOT buy a Sago Palm with pets or kids; those are toxic to basically everything including people, but they are not true palms. True palms are nontoxic. If you like the palm trees look, you're in luck. True ferns are mostly nontoxic too, including Boston and Maidenhair. Asparagus ferns are the exception, but again, they are not true ferns.

I have friends with toxic dracaenas and Norfolk pines and monsteras that all coexist happily with their cats, but it all depends how inclined your pets are to eat large quantities of things they shouldn't eat.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 19, 2023

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

As I mentioned earlier, I just bought a house with landscaping from the 1980s that looks like it has been neglected for the past few years. Why does my tree have this mound of exposed and fused roots at the base? Is this due to overmulching/mulch volcano? There are other trees in our neighborhood that look even worse.

More importantly, how do I fix or conceal it? Grow a creeping plant around the base? I think it looks awful.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Roots grow in size like the rest of the tree, so they often end up exposed like that. It's also had a lawn around it for decades -- if you rake up all the leaves the soil can really only ever deplete.

You could cover it with mulch, being careful not to pile the mulch too deep or onto the trunk of the tree itself. I wouldn't go with a ground cover plant personally, but maybe it would work?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Roots grow in size like the rest of the tree, so they often end up exposed like that. It's also had a lawn around it for decades -- if you rake up all the leaves the soil can really only ever deplete.

You could cover it with mulch, being careful not to pile the mulch too deep or onto the trunk of the tree itself. I wouldn't go with a ground cover plant personally, but maybe it would work?

Ground cover plants need soil to grow in. The only thing that can cover that is vines, and those will harm the tree. You could put flowers around it, but they won't actually cover the roots, just provide something else to look at.

That's just what trees end up looking like in gardens and yards. Probably just wasn't planted in a well enough dug hole, but unless op has a time machine there's no fixing it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OP when I look at that I think to myself "that looks like a tree". I don't think it looks bad or unusual in any way.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Some trees just grow that way, look at magnolias for example.

I would suggest throwing in some groundcover plants if you're worried about the aesthetic, but if you also want to help make the soil better, try planting legumes, they're not just often stunningly pretty plants, they also improve the soil they're in.

I don't know your exact zone or light situation, but you can always throw in some crimson clover seeds to start, they're lovely and since they're annual, once they're done flowering/seeding, they're out of your way so you can put something else in after them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

VelociBacon posted:

No philodendrons, no lilies (as mentioned above). The ASPCA has a thorough list of the bad stuff. Logee's, a famous nursery and seller of plants, has a lot of interesting safe plants.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

OP when I look at that I think to myself "that looks like a tree". I don't think it looks bad or unusual in any way.

I was concerned this was a raised root mound with girdling roots due to overmulching, but if I am looking at perfectly acceptable landscaping then I will adjust my expectations! Maybe I will take pictures of the other trees in my neighborhood that I am skeptical of because I am curious of the thread’s opinion.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lots of trees just...do that. many types of trees have surprisingly shallow root systems

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
A lot of the established trees around my neighborhood look exactly like that. I wouldn't do much, if anything, maybe some light mulch, but don't crowd the base of the tree with it.

Girdling: If you're concerned, just have an arborist take a look, it can't hurt anyway if you want to keep the tree healthy

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is that tree a maple? All the landscaped maples around here have roots like that. Oaks not so much.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is that tree a maple? All the landscaped maples around here have roots like that. Oaks not so much.

Ya it’s a maple. Which I was reading is an ideal landscaping tree because it usually has a shallow root system. Overall, it’s a great tree and I would really like to keep it healthy.

We also have a Bradford pear of the same size in the yard and the trunk looks quite different, minimal exposed roots. However, the pear tree’s days are numbered.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kreeningsons posted:

Ya it’s a maple. Which I was reading is an ideal landscaping tree because it usually has a shallow root system. Overall, it’s a great tree and I would really like to keep it healthy.

We also have a Bradford pear of the same size in the yard and the trunk looks quite different, minimal exposed roots. However, the pear tree’s days are numbered.

you can dress the roots up a bit with a decorative mulch, gravel, or dirt circle, taking care not to pile it on or bury them too much. Maybe plant a few shrubs in it

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
Favorites from the spring bulbs so far (zone 6b). I think the tulips mostly all popped but I know peonies and some other varieties of daffodils are still to come.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hell yeah tulips ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
They're better than roses on your piano no matter where you put them!