Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

One very very minor thing I appreciate about this chapter is that what denji explains here is precisely what's going on at the end of part 1 when denji says he wants to have ten girlfriends and eat steak every day for breakfast (choosing to enthusiastically embrace the things which are good in life and make it worth living, even if our desires are petty or lowbrow, because you want to choose life over death and that's how you're gonna make yourself do it). that sequence was somehow genuinely too subtle for many people to engage with denji's characterization on a deeper level beyond "lol 10gfs and steak", which I initially found surprising but I figure is because denji doesn't spell it out, possibly because he cant fully articulate it himself at that point.

So to have him explain it explicitly here for Asa is both a very good character moment that tells us a lot about where denji is now, nicely juxtaposes asa's private desires for personal connection with her "ewww, gross" kneejerk reaction to what denji says, and will hopefully help surface-level readers understand what is happening thematically in this very good manga.

e: in many ways, what only denji can teach asa is not that life is worth living, or that cats are good, or it's nice to connect to other people. It's simply that Horny is Legal.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Incredible.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I was driving thinking about lol denji wants seggs lmao haha

ha, he wants sex. One of the things he truly never got in Part 1. He found love of many kinds, but not romance that lasted. He knows he doesn't want casual sex after the traumas with the eyepatch woman. He also knows what non-romantic love is thanks to Power. In Nayuta he might have that kind of "too-intimate" affection where you don't even feel sexuality, as well as sibling-like love he had with Aki. Makima made a mockery of romantic, sexual love to him but he's still chasing for that. what a funny comic

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

MorningMoon posted:

In Nayuta he might have that kind of "too-intimate" affection where you don't even feel sexuality

:chloe:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

I was driving thinking about lol denji wants seggs lmao haha

ha, he wants sex. One of the things he truly never got in Part 1. He found love of many kinds, but not romance that lasted. He knows he doesn't want casual sex after the traumas with the eyepatch woman. He also knows what non-romantic love is thanks to Power. In Nayuta he might have that kind of "too-intimate" affection where you don't even feel sexuality, as well as sibling-like love he had with Aki. Makima made a mockery of romantic, sexual love to him but he's still chasing for that. what a funny comic

uhhhh

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

sigh

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Please tell me it just bad wording and not pro incest

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Annointed posted:

Please tell me it just bad wording and not pro incest

I THINK the idea is Denji considers her as family, so sexuality isn't even something he thinks about? But Nayuta is a child, so it's still really creepy.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Different forms of love have existed for a long time and filial vs attraction is a fundamental example.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I think you guys are reading into something that's not there, perhaps forgetting the definition of intimate or affection.

Living in what seemed to be a studio with another person, several dogs, and a cat while doing things like keeping a running fart tally sounds "too-intimate" to me at least.

But perhaps I'm missing something.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Brightman posted:

I think you guys are reading into something that's not there, perhaps forgetting the definition of intimate or affection.

Living in what seemed to be a studio with another person, several dogs, and a cat while doing things like keeping a running fart tally sounds "too-intimate" to me at least.

But perhaps I'm missing something.

if someone told you "my relationship with my young sister is too intimate to be sexual" would you think that was a strange thing to say

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Farg posted:

if someone told you "my relationship with my young sister is too intimate to be sexual" would you think that was a strange thing to say

Yeah, if they literally said that verbatim but it feels like they just flubbed a clarification, an attempt to prevent this very discussion.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't remember if I've cried at a chainsaw man chapter before but this one really did it to me

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
oh god i swear i did not mean it htat creepy, i meant "intimacy" like the fact that they hold farting contests

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mabels big day posted:

I don't remember if I've cried at a chainsaw man chapter before but this one really did it to me

Got me too

And then I teared up again looking up that Steven Universe episode that it (might’ve) referenced

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MorningMoon posted:

oh god i swear i did not mean it htat creepy, i meant "intimacy" like the fact that they hold farting contests

I get what you were trying to say but buddy you goonspoke it pretty bad, lmao

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Between the Daniels and Fujimoto a new spot has opened up in my brain for seeking out stories of extremely sincere emotional vulnerability hidden under a veneer of vulgarity and filth

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A lot of people asking questions about my relationship with my sister that were already answered by my “I love my sister in a non-sexual way” shirt

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Denji is rad but Asa is so drat relatable. it's a little telling that a lot of us in the thread relate to her so much. pretty indicative of how common trauma actually is

uhh where is Falling during these last few panels? you'd think she wouldn't respond well to Chainsaw Man trying to interfere

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I appreciate that these last two chapters have made it clear "Yes, Denji is still upset about what happened with Power and Aki"

Denji has trauma, he's managing it as best he can but it hasn't gone away because that's not how that stuff works. Denji is a hedonist, but he's not emotionless or incapable of forming genuine bonds that he'll miss when he loses them.

i think its also important in direct contrast to yelling about sex this chapter. the reader obviously know what denji wants isn't just sex, it's way more, he wants love in his life and power and aki gave that to him for the first time ever (sans pochita). makima and co really hosed him up in a bad way, they conflated his desire for love with a desire for sex that he's still confused by, but the spirit in him is the same.

this manga better end on a happy note. i just want to see our boy calm and at peace

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Denji is rad but Asa is so drat relatable. it's a little telling that a lot of us in the thread relate to her so much. pretty indicative of how common trauma actually is

uhh where is Falling during these last few panels? you'd think she wouldn't respond well to Chainsaw Man trying to interfere

even a devil isn’t so heartless as to interrupt such a beautiful moment

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

falling doesn't seem actually fussed by denji's actions, at least the impression i got was that she's still fully in control even with him there raging. given how she's acted so far, i could totally buy her just...letting this play out, because she thinks that she'll still get exactly what she wants by the end.

this is going to end with denji going to hell to get asa, isn't it

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

tbp posted:

falling doesn't seem actually fussed by denji's actions, at least the impression i got was that she's still fully in control even with him there raging. given how she's acted so far, i could totally buy her just...letting this play out, because she thinks that she'll still get exactly what she wants by the end.

this is going to end with denji going to hell to get asa, isn't it

thats a fair assessment. Falling very much projects, lol that's cute... so anyway

I mean Denji's ultimate goal is to go to hell to get Power back. so I guess he may end up going there now and "accidentally" killing the blood devil. so they will be reborn completing the goal

as an aside is there any particular reason Devils are a certain gender or can they flip flop at will? Power coming back as a bro would be pretty comical and setup a love triangle. clearly Yoshida doesn't care about relationships so he doesn't count

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

standard animanga talking-time-doesn’t-matter moment OR the falling Devil’s plan is for something like this to happen

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I made this.

I probably shouldn't have made it, but I did. And now you have to look at it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

chainsaw man spinal cord sword

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Janissary Hop posted:

chainsaw man spinal cord sword

nooooo

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

actually he'd live it and be fine minutes later. lets try it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

thats a fair assessment. Falling very much projects, lol that's cute... so anyway

I mean Denji's ultimate goal is to go to hell to get Power back. so I guess he may end up going there now and "accidentally" killing the blood devil. so they will be reborn completing the goal

as an aside is there any particular reason Devils are a certain gender or can they flip flop at will? Power coming back as a bro would be pretty comical and setup a love triangle. clearly Yoshida doesn't care about relationships so he doesn't count

Nayuta and Power actually are two opposite ends of a problem for Denji. If Denji gets Power back and Power has some semblance or relationship to Denji like the original Power did, then that implies Nayuta also has some of Makima in her that can resurface.

Conversely, if Nayuta truly isn't Makima at all, then Power is dead like Makima.

Would you take back your best friend alongside your hideously abusive ex, or would you say goodbye to both?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Well Power was a fiend so that's just some poor girls corpse . I think they could have preferences but as far as we know it's just a choice thing

Donkringel posted:

Nayuta and Power actually are two opposite ends of a problem for Denji. If Denji gets Power back and Power has some semblance or relationship to Denji like the original Power did, then that implies Nayuta also has some of Makima in her that can resurface.

Conversely, if Nayuta truly isn't Makima at all, then Power is dead like Makima.

Would you take back your best friend alongside your hideously abusive ex, or would you say goodbye to both?

The issue here is that the control devil is kind of controlling by nature or it wouldn't be the Control devil. 'm sure there's some sort of positive outlet for it though.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 18, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

SirKibbles posted:

Well Power was a fiend so that's just some poor girls corpse . I think they could have preferences but as far as we know it's just a choice thing

The issue here is that the control devil is kind of controlling by nature or it wouldn't be the Control devil. 'm sure there's some sort of positive outlet for it though.

yeah but Bat devil was in a relationship during part 1 and it seemed to be male / female coupling but maybe I was reading into it. War chose Asa because they just felt like it that time. there didn't seem to be a time crunch of oh poo poo imma bout to die gotta get the gently caress outta here. where's the closest corpse to hide in

gender fluidity in devils is both cool and good. gently caress this manga is amazing

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

they both just like me fr

This manga rules

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I love my dumb sad daughter and my dumb horny son.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

Different forms of love have existed for a long time and filial vs attraction is a fundamental example.

Indeed but their choice of phrasing was still creepy as hell and I hope it was just bad word choice.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
this really has to be one of the best series i've ever read

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
That is one hell of a punchline!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tbp posted:

i think its also important in direct contrast to yelling about sex this chapter. the reader obviously know what denji wants isn't just sex, it's way more, he wants love in his life and power and aki gave that to him for the first time ever (sans pochita). makima and co really hosed him up in a bad way, they conflated his desire for love with a desire for sex that he's still confused by, but the spirit in him is the same.

this manga better end on a happy note. i just want to see our boy calm and at peace

Nah. Denji conflated desire for affection and sex and just human contact all on his own. Makima did a lot to help him work out his feelings, because she wanted him to be a fully realized person (So she could utterly destroy him), and Denji had independently reached the point of realizing that, hey, he cared a lot about Power, and he didn't remotely want to have sex with her, that was worth noticing.

Even now, he and Nayuta are basically family, and there haven't been any Fire Punch moments yet.

Denji genuinely wants sex because he wants sex. He just also knows that, without an emotional connection, it'll almost certainly be a massive disappointment.

Which leads in a roundabout way to some thoughts on why "Sex!" is what Denji's after to justify living, rather than the people he cares about.

See, the Blood Devil and Nayuta are both obligations. He cares about them, and likes spending time with Nayuta, but she's as much a burden as a blessing. It's more work, more effort, more crap to get through, and even when it's good, it can all be ripped away to just mean more pain.

But sex? Sex is something he's never had, and once he has it, the experience won't be taken away. It's a goal that's (theoretically) pure enjoyment.

As for bringing it up now, there's also the fact that Denji's had three shots at sex, in theory, and after he turned the chance down, things went to poo poo and two times out of three so far the woman in question died within the week. Himeno offered sex, Denji decided to save his virginity for Makima, Himeno and a bunch of other people died the next morning. He didn't ask Makima for sex, and the request he made instead lead directly to Power's death and the worst day of Denji's life, which is saying something. The day after that, he had to kill Makima to save the world and his dreams for the future.

Now he asked Asa for a date instead of anything else, and Asa's being cause up in the apocalypse.

I figure, crazy or no, Denji has enough pattern recognition skills that he'd be trying to minimize the risk of missing opportunities again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Several banger lines in this chapter

This hits so hard because there’s like ~2200 pages contradicting her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Steve Yun posted:

Several banger lines in this chapter

This hits so hard because there’s like ~2200 pages contradicting her

I mean in Asa's defense she DOES have it pretty bad. Dead mom, dead cat, also she died herself like a month ago.

Basically Asa and Denji have both been through a ton of poo poo and it'd be nice if they had a chance to just hang out and be friends together. If they can somehow survive this primal fear that is.