Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

From the blindingly obvious files, real estate market still all hosed up

Inventory and sales pretty much however you slice it is down ~20% from last year. Sale price since beginning of the year is up 0.1% YOY which is about flat with the end of 2021

I like this graph for some reason

https://www.redfin.com/news/housing-market-update-new-listings-home-prices-fall/

I'm extremely skeptical of any housing price crash, anyone in distress is going to take out a home equity loan on their historically low refinanced home long before walking away from it

I keep seeing articles like "new SFH starts up 2.5%" but also, 2.5% of almost zero is still almost zero. Nothingburger of an article not worth reading:

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-single-family-housing-starts-increase-march-2023-04-18/

Any guesses as to where mortgage rates will be in two years? My guess is that jpow and friends stop increasing rates but also leave them at current values for another 4-6 months, and we see mortgage rates in the 5.25-6.5% range through at least the end of 2025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hadlock posted:

ets/us/us-single-family-housing-starts-increase-march-2023-04-18/[/url]

Any guesses as to where mortgage rates will be in two years? My guess is that jpow and friends stop increasing rates but also leave them at current values for another 4-6 months, and we see mortgage rates in the 5.25-6.5% range through at least the end of 2025

I don't know if they're going to rise a bunch, but I doubt they'll be going back down to the 2-3% range any time ever. I just don't see the Fed getting that loose with money again unless it's in the face of another catastrafuck like '08 or Covid.

Basically my take is that we're back to the ~5-8% norm that we saw all through the late 80s through ~08. Hell, looking back to before the massive spikes in the 70s gets a bit dicey because policy was so much different then, but that's still ballpark about what it was at from ~the end of WW2 through 1972.

My rear end in a top hat on the internet opinion is that 4% is going to be a pretty sturdy floor for a long time barring drastic measures due to a crisis.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

My rear end in a top hat on the internet opinion is that 4% is going to be a pretty sturdy floor for a long time barring drastic measures due to a crisis.

Strong agree, I'll go even further and say short of another black swan event I'd be surprised if we see below 4.25% in the next 15 years

I would be very happy to refi our 6.25 somewhere south of 5.25, getting into the 4s would be an excellent gift

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Shower thoughts: If you work for the Federal Reserve System, does that mean you're technically getting paid in company scrip?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hadlock posted:

Strong agree, I'll go even further and say short of another black swan event I'd be surprised if we see below 4.25% in the next 15 years

I would be very happy to refi our 6.25 somewhere south of 5.25, getting into the 4s would be an excellent gift

I mean, the last 15 years spent a LOT of time under 4.25%, not just during turbulent times, so that seems like an aggressive prediction. 15 years is a REALLY long time and I don't know that people will still be operating under the current set of concerns for that stretch.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mrmcd posted:

Shower thoughts: If you work for the Federal Reserve System, does that mean you're technically getting paid in company scrip?

If the whole country, and most of the world, accepts it, can it really be scrip?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

There’s a very compelling piece in The Atlantic by Jean M. Twenge, called The Myth of the Broke Millennial (Apple News link to get around paywall.)

Some interesting selections:

"The surprise was this: Millennials, as a group, are not broke—they are, in fact, thriving economically. That wasn’t true a decade ago"

Isnt that what you'd expect though? Roughly speaking, millennials are currently 30-40 years old, solidly into adulthood. Ten years ago, they would have been 20-30 years old - many still in school, or early in their careers.

As someone who is currently 40 and doing reasonably well economically, I can tell you 30 was much different. When I was 30 I had a net worth of approximately zero (an improvement from most of my 20s).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Millennials at age 30 were pretty far behind boomers or Xers at the same age. It's nice that they're catching up but it wasn't so obvious that it would pan out that way.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

LanceHunter posted:

There’s a very compelling piece in The Atlantic by Jean M. Twenge, called The Myth of the Broke Millennial (Apple News link to get around paywall.)

It's a pity he doesn't emphasis the obvious reason for the disconnect.

quote:

Two groups have not outpaced the generations that came before: men and people with less education. Millennial men, on average, have not seen the income increases that Millennial women have (more on that later)—a divergence at least partly explained by the growing gap in educational attainment between men and women. And overall, the median income of Americans with a four-year college degree has steadily risen while the income of those with only a high-school degree has fallen. This trend is not new, though it is troubling.
Yet there are also far fewer high-school-only graduates among Millennials than among previous generations, and many more with a college degree. Millennials are the first American generation in which more than one out of three had a four-year college degree by their late 20s, up from one out of four when Gen Xers were in that age bracket. And two out of three Millennials have attended college for at least a year.

quote:

Men’s incomes, however, have fallen since 1970 (though not nearly as much as women’s have risen). The statistics aren’t uniform: Men on the higher rungs of the economic ladder have for the most part bucked this trend, and Millennial men’s incomes have rebounded from their Great Recession lows. But that may be cold comfort to men making less than their fathers did, especially those who don’t live (and share expenses) with women—even though men still make more than women on average.

Think about how many news articles there are about understanding the "real American." It doesn't matter there's less of them proportionally than there have ever been before. So much of the media still thinks they matter more than other americans. And if a writer fervently believes the average american millennial is a white man with moderate education, that really changes the reporting on millennial economics.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 18, 2023

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

LanceHunter posted:

Are they comparing HHI? If so then I don't think it is any surprise the dual-income millennial households are outearning their single-income households of older generations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

laxbro posted:

Are they comparing HHI? If so then I don't think it is any surprise the dual-income millennial households are outearning their single-income households of older generations.

Individual income is mentioned in the piece as well...

The Atlantic posted:

Household income is only one lens, but individual income shows largely the same thing. Booms and recessions push incomes up and down, but although many media stories have tended to associate Millennials almost exclusively with the latter, they’ve now experienced both, and in a big way: Increases in income since 2014 have been steep.

In this, Millennials trace a pattern similar to the Gen Xers before them. Early Gen Xers, too, entered the job market during a recession, and the generation was subject to dire predictions about its economic future (one 1995 book, Welcome to the Jungle, by Geoffrey T. Holtz, described Gen X as the “Impoverished Generation”). But those predictions didn’t hold up after the economy rebounded later in the ’90s. The Great Recession was no doubt a more harrowing experience for young adults than the recession Gen X faced, but the income stagnation that followed it nonetheless lasted only a few years. Over the past half century, the longest period of falling or stagnant wages was from the ’70s to the mid-’90s, when Boomers were young workers. My point is not that Millennials should consider themselves fortunate—I don’t believe that—but rather that economic prospects can change greatly as a generation ages, and especially as it reaches its peak earning years.

Also, while there are more dual-income households now than a generation ago, there are also more one-person and single-parent households as well.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

golden bubble posted:

Think about how many news articles there are about understanding the "real American." It doesn't matter there's less of them proportionally than there have ever been before. So much of the media still thinks they matter more than other americans. And if a writer fervently believes the average american millennial is a white man with moderate education, that really changes the reporting on millennial economics.

I'd argue that much of the "millennials are permanently economically doomed" pieces aren't from writers who think the average American millennial is a white man with moderate education. Probably the exact opposite. It's coming from highly-educated journalists in places like New York City who are extrapolating their experience (astronomical student loans from j-school, working in a industry where pay has been falling, surrounded by an absolutely insane real estate market) onto the rest of their generation around the country.

Decades from now I think we're going to look back and be able to better recognize just how weird it was for society when the people who are professionally responsible for reporting on the world had their economic situation go from being generally better-than-average to generally worse-than-average. It used to be that, when a local reporter for the Daily WhereverTheFuck newspaper wrote a piece, they were probably making a bit more money than a majority of the people who would eventually read it. Today, when a freelancer churning out content for Vice or Vox or wherever writes something up, it is very likely that they are making less money than the majority of the people who will eventually read that piece.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 18, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I also think people romanticize the boomer generation, which really wasn't in the workforce until the 70s. Like, there was a lot of poverty in that generation too, as a % its pretty much the same. And as someone with boomer parents people act like it was unheard of to have 2 working parents but it really wasn't that unusual. Sure there are more today but I don't think it's as dramatic as is generally reported.

I do think some things are much harder today for sure, and I think the zoomers have a ton of real challenges too, but we tend to look back at the past generations with some pretty strong rose colored glasses.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

To add onto that, even though the average millennial matches the boomers for homeownership rates by age, it's not evenly spread.

https://twitter.com/ArmandDoma/status/1648368209610035200

For the boomers, I think their yuppies were the most likely to get on the homeownership ladder, and yuppies do a disproportionate amount of writing. Meanwhile, the yuppie millennials I've met are generally more bitter about housing prices and more angry about housing policy than less well millennials. Especially since LA has overtaken Chicago as the second most culturally important city in the US.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

I'm not sure about that home ownership statistic. The only thing it really tells us is that "By age 40, 48% of Millennials have owned a home." It doesn't tell us that John Boomer got his home at 26 and James Millennial got his at 35. Which, given the amount of career and income dynamism in the 25-39 bracket, seems like a very important distinction.

I'd be way more interested in the median age of the first time home owner in each generational cohort.

edit: I still get paywalled, so if the author addressed this, let me know.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

golden bubble posted:

To add onto that, even though the average millennial matches the boomers for homeownership rates by age, it's not evenly spread.

(tweet snipped)

For the boomers, I think their yuppies were the most likely to get on the homeownership ladder, and yuppies do a disproportionate amount of writing. Meanwhile, the yuppie millennials I've met are generally more bitter about housing prices and more angry about housing policy than less well millennials. Especially since LA has overtaken Chicago as the second most culturally important city in the US.

sir/madam, please revisit the thread title and OP rules, this is the no-tweet zone. I love tweets as much as the next goon but not in this thread! thank you and carry on

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mrmcd posted:

Post lunch thoughts: if you work for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing does that mean you're technically getting paid in kind?

edit: it's gotta be kinda weird to be one of the guys who literally makes the money printer go brrrr and spot a bill with your facility's stamp on it out in the wild and know you probably saw it whiz by for a fraction of a second on its way out the door.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fun food for thought: the majority of american money is not printed at all. It exists only electronically.

quote:

The Federal Reserve does have a balance sheet of $9 trillion, but it hasn't added $8 trillion anytime recently. And that number isn't close to accurate in terms of physical cash, of which there is about $2 trillion currently in circulation, according to Lydia Washington, a spokesperson for the Department of the Treasury’s Bureau of Engraving and Printing.
(source)

95% of notes printed any given day are replacing old notes, not creating new money. Physical notes only last a few years in circulation and are collected from banks all over the country (and the world I guess) for recycling. A lot of headlines and news articles about the money supply are misleading, because they use words like "printed money" when they talk about the FED adding currency to the balance sheet. This can also lead to intentional disinformation, such as when conservative outlets were insisting the Biden admin had "printed" 8 trillion dollars (or whatever) and this was the cause of inflation.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

Post lunch thoughts: if you work for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing does that mean you're technically getting paid in kind?

edit: it's gotta be kinda weird to be one of the guys who literally makes the money printer go brrrr and spot a bill with your facility's stamp on it out in the wild and know you probably saw it whiz by for a fraction of a second on its way out the door.

Btw, the tour of the BEP was pretty cool. Unfortunately looks like they don't offer them right now.

https://www.bep.gov/visitor-centers

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Fun food for thought: the majority of american money is not printed at all. It exists only electronically.

(source)

95% of notes printed any given day are replacing old notes, not creating new money. Physical notes only last a few years in circulation and are collected from banks all over the country (and the world I guess) for recycling. A lot of headlines and news articles about the money supply are misleading, because they use words like "printed money" when they talk about the FED adding currency to the balance sheet. This can also lead to intentional disinformation, such as when conservative outlets were insisting the Biden admin had "printed" 8 trillion dollars (or whatever) and this was the cause of inflation.

the creation of reserve deposits has exactly the same impact on the money supply that printing cash does. they’re both m0

quote:

such as when conservative outlets were insisting the Biden admin had "printed" 8 trillion dollars (or whatever) and this was the cause of inflation.

this is disinformation because the trump admin did that, not because they got monetary policy wrong

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

De-dollarization. Feel like I see a new article on the topic almost every day now. Two years ago, you might see something once a quarter.

https://www.aier.org/article/de-dollarization-has-begun/

https://www.aier.org/article/de-dollarization-has-begun-redux/

https://archive.is/2023.04.17-122140/https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/04/17/bangladesh-russia-yuan-china-loan/

https://www.firstpost.com/world/de-...s-12485702.html

I forget where but read on social media the other day, the real reason why we invaded Iraq is they were selling oil to [X] in [Y currency] which at the time felt like a real edgelord take but, uh

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You saw a similar spate of articles like that in the early 00s when the Euro came out.

Like, no poo poo some people are getting off the dollar right now. They want to trade with Russia and/or they don't want American sanctions to bite as hard when they try to genocide their local ethnic/religious minority.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh right X was Germany and Y was the euro. I think it was in the same breath as "Biden blew up nordstream"

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
De-dollarization seems overhyped. I think it’s a long term concern, but a very long term one.

Especially when you consider the Chinese peg their currency to the dollar. The idea of the Yuan being a threat to the primacy of the dollar is laughable in that context, let them allow their currency to float freely and see how much appetite there is for Yuan then

Edit: I mean yeah the second of those two aier articles basically says “yea we wrote an article about de-dollarization but it probably wont actually happen because USD is so systematically integrated and has highly optimized markets so don’t worry about it. Maybe don’t weaponize SWIFT tho or other countries could get mad”

It’s a doomer pipe dream. And any problems with the USD or the American fiscal situation needs to be weighed against the state of other countries economic houses, which face similar or greater troubles then our own

hobbez fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 22, 2023

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
There are a lot of cheerleaders, on both sides of the aisle, inside and outside of the US, who have been desperate to see the dollar fall, and will jump on any small sign that the end is beginning. It doesn’t necessarily mean much

In particular what you usually don’t see in these articles is a discussion of prices. Russia took a huge haircut when they started accepting yuan and rupees for oil. China is presumably offering better prices for stuff bought in yuan (or they’re overpaying to buy Brazilian stuff in yuan, so that Brazil has more yuan than it wants, and can’t do anything else with.) It’s hardly surprising that Bangladesh, a very poor country surrounded by India on three sides, would have an easier time obtaining rupees than dollars. None of these things can displace the dollar

China and Russia are invested in the narrative of western decline and are willing to accept unfavorable terms of trade to push that narrative. Goldbugs and goldbug-adjacent types are invested in the narrative that the fed/treasury/fiscal policy/foreign policy/etc are loving up and want to push media stories to further that narrative. These are all pretty marginal factors, considered against global eurodollar trade as a whole.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
^^^ Yep, I pretty much continually hear "brics gdp > us/eur gdp" with almost no actual thought process behind any aspect of that sort of discussion.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Weird, I came here to post the DXY chart only to see they already have it in their article. So, USD's value is close to its 20 year high and the conclusion is "actually, its over for the dollar"?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Do dedollarization articles increase in frequency every time there’s a recession or a crisis?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

lifg posted:

Do dedollarization articles increase in frequency every time there’s a recession or a crisis?

Pretty much, yeah. It's standard "the empire is crumbling, the US is doomed to be a third rate power in the new Japanese/European/Chinese/Indian/Russian world order" doom bait.

I remember my grandparents fretting about how the Yen was going to become the new international currency in the 80s.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh, so I just looked at the wiki page for the nonprofit that published the first two articles I linked. They are a conservative think tank. I just assumed "American institute for economic research" was an arm of an economics peer reviewed journal. The opposite really

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Institute_for_Economic_Research

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I only get my information from Youtube talking heads, so I suggest The Plain Bagel's video: Let's Talk De-Dollarization - Why the Dollar Isn't Going Anywhere Anytime Soon if you want someone to pour some cold water on those hot takes.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Hadlock posted:

Oh, so I just looked at the wiki page for the nonprofit that published the first two articles I linked. They are a conservative think tank. I just assumed "American institute for economic research" was an arm of an economics peer reviewed journal. The opposite really

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Institute_for_Economic_Research

As if we aren’t already alert to your neocon shilling, hadlock

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

hobbez posted:

As if we aren’t already alert to your neocon shilling, hadlock

He just wants to be the next Musk, what can possibly go wrong?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

More details on First Republic.

New York Times posted:

First Republic Bank Lost $102 Billion in Customer Deposits

First Republic Bank, the most imperiled U.S. lender after last month’s banking crisis, on Monday disclosed the grisly details of just how troubled its business has become — and not much else.

In the bank’s highly anticipated first update to investors since entering a free-fall over the past month and a half, its leaders said little. In a conference call to discuss its first quarter results with Wall Street analysts, the bank’s executives offered just 10 minutes of prepared remarks and declined to take questions, leaving investors and the public with few answers about how it would steer out of its malaise.

One thing is certain: The bank, which caters to a well-heeled clientele on the coasts, is hanging on by a thread. During the first quarter, it lost a staggering $102 billion in customer deposits — well over half of the $176 billion it held at the end of last year — not including a temporary $30 billion lifeline it received from the nation’s biggest banks last month.

First Republic reported a quarterly profit of $269 million, down one-third from a year earlier. Its shares fell 15 percent in extended trading following the release of its results.

The bank said that the deposit exodus largely ceased by the last week of March. From March 31 to April 21, the bank said that it lost only 1.7 percent of its deposits and that most of those were related to tax payments by its clients.

So I guess the question here is if we should read this as "over a hundred billion in deposits were withdrawn, they're on their death-bed" or read it as "over a hundred billion in deposits were withdrawn and they managed to survive, so it's looking up from here". (I feel like the NYT headline writer feels pretty strongly in the later, especially because when I got the push notification that read "First Republic Bank Lost $102 Billion..." I thought the story was going to be something significantly more dire.)

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 24, 2023

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01

ist fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 19, 2023

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

LanceHunter posted:

More details on First Republic.

So I guess the question here is if we should read this as "over a hundred billion in deposits were withdrawn, they're on their death-bed" or read it as "over a hundred billion in deposits were withdrawn and they managed to survive, so it's looking up from here". (I feel like the NYT headline writer feels pretty strongly in the later, especially because when I got the push notification that read "First Republic Bank Lost $102 Billion..." I thought the story was going to be something significantly more dire.)

FRC shares dropped by almost 50% today (down to a bit over $8), so the stock market at least seems to think it's the first one.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

LostCosmonaut posted:

FRC shares dropped by almost 50% today (down to a bit over $8), so the stock market at least seems to think it's the first one.

Matt Levine had a write-up about it today arguing it's basically a zombie bank: From a regulatory perspective it probably has enough capital to continue indefinitely especially with the Fed facility and the banking industry generally working in concert to quell bank runs. From an economic perspective though, the bank is probably worth negative dollars, and they're unlikely to have any buyers at a price higher than a Snickers bar. If you accept that argument then buying any of their equity right now is basically lighting your money on fire.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Seems like the goal was to prevent FRB from going under to slow or stop additional bank runs and they succeeded at that task. Whether or not shareholder value was preserved is probably not even in the top three desired outcomes here. Their existence at this point is simply a means to an end. Zombie bank indeed.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://archive.ph/TtiB8

quote:

In America’s richest enclaves, word spread quickly: A bank was offering loans on sweet terms.
Wealthy homebuyers and property investors with high incomes and sterling credit scores could get a mortgage from First Republic Bank with a rock-bottom rate for several years. Better yet, they didn’t have to start repaying the principal for a decade.
Across Manhattan, the San Francisco Bay area and Southern California, those terms attracted legions of wealthy clients — including executives from other banks — as interest rates sank during the pandemic. The loans left borrowers with more cash to invest and spend than if they financed their properties with more conventional mortgages. Demand was so strong that it helped First Republic double its assets in four years, while deposits surged.
Now, it's all looking like a colossal mistake.
Means to an end indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SA-Anon
Sep 15, 2019
With respect to de-dollarization...
I think this is something you will see some interest in.

And in the long term if you think about economics similarities to thermodynamics, then it should all settle out.

However from the short/medium term outlook, it leads to geopolitical issues.
Like who all is on the UN security council and who has permanent membership and who does not.

I see the USD and Euro continuing to hold the majority for the foreseeable future.
Will probably see some balance between USD, EURO, and maybe even the Australian Dollar.

I think there is actual interest in.. UN SDR (Special Drawing Rights) for the basket of countries for African, South American, Asian markets.

But... China is a permanent security council member and their economy isn't exactly... transparent.
Russia is also a permanent security council member and is similar.

With regards to Turkey and India, there are also some legitimate concerns with one party rule.

I think to really see a change to something like a true basket of currencies.
Then it also requires some very important changes at the UN.

Like nations giving up their permanent seats.

At this point I see the bulk of all future growth in Africa and Asia.
Because that is where the population growth is.

SA-Anon fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 26, 2023