Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

They defrosted Robin and Luffy after meeting Kuzan for the first time.

Bad snipe, and speaking of bad snipes, how did Van Auger let Bepo get away like that? Dude can teleport now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Chopper developing a Rumble ball but for minks means there could have been justice for Carrot this whole time lol

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I suspect it's just a regular rumble ball, hence why he said he wasn't sure if it would work. We've never seen a rumble ball used by anyone else, for all we know it could change regular humans into the Hulk.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Kuzan is pretty mysterious. His joining the Blackbeard Pirates seems to have been specifically Blackbeard's idea, which makes it less likely that Kuzan was specifically trying to infiltrate them. What he said to Garp, along with his general depressed vibes this chapter, makes me think he might actually want Garp to kill him now.

I definitely got the vibes that Kuzan set it up that they'd run into each other. He was acting way out of character and the fact that he fought the BB pirates and then waited for Teach to get there too is way too suspicious. I'm convinced that he's a plant now. Calling it a 'bad look' if Koby escapes suggests he's interested in keeping his cover over actually helping.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah that's usually what happens when you're frozen for an extended period of time.

Or you can be Garp and flex your way out.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

drat, what a chapter!

I hope that early lovely translation was right about What Blackbeard said to get Kuzan on board. It seems like he's talking about the meaning of the word "nakama"! The reason it doesn't just mean "friend" isn't because it's more intense than friendship or anything like that. It actually can imply less than friendship. It literally means someone close to you with a common purpose.

Luffy thinks this is more than friendship- your comrades who have your back have a closer bond with you than mere friendship, approaching family.

Blackbeard things it means less than friendship- you can be comrades with people you don't even like, as long as you're working together towards a common goal.

If that's actually what Blackbeard was saying the drat fan subs from over a decade ago were right! The special nuance of the word nakama was actually really important to this manga! Good thing we have the word comrade to capture that nuance in english!

Edit: lol, I went to check the raws to see what word was used, but there's a gigantic watermark over the relevant speech bubble. Cool.

Sub Harrison posted:

Oda was very quick to delete them from the story once Kaido was done
I think this is proof that neither Kid nor Law are really done, but their individual quests for One Piece are over.

Kid might be a character to underline Shanks' power and values, but Law's story isn't over here. I mean, Law's story was pretty much over on Dressrossa, but since he kept going after that, he's going to keep going after this. I mean, Oda isn't going to give up on a character he's put as much into as Law at this point. He might not be in the running for Pirate King anymore, but he's not done in this story.

Which means, because they're on parallel tracks, that Kid probably isn't done either.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 19, 2023

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Nephthys posted:

I definitely got the vibes that Kuzan set it up that they'd run into each other. He was acting way out of character and the fact that he fought the BB pirates and then waited for Teach to get there too is way too suspicious. I'm convinced that he's a plant now. Calling it a 'bad look' if Koby escapes suggests he's interested in keeping his cover over actually helping.

yup, same

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Nephthys posted:

what could his end goal be? Could he be trying to fool Imu or something?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

hatty posted:

Probably thinks BB is the closest to getting One Piece and wants to stop him or reform the navy with it.

Also something that's interesting: the blackbeard pirates knew what sulong was. That feels... uncommon? Minks are pretty rare even in the NW, and Sulong happens once a month at most and a lot of other insane poo poo exists, so knowing that seems to imply Blackbeard has a bit of more worldly knowledge than one would expect

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

anime was right posted:

Probably thinks BB is the closest to getting One Piece and wants to stop him or reform the navy with it.

Also something that's interesting: the blackbeard pirates knew what sulong was. That feels... uncommon? Minks are pretty rare even in the NW, and Sulong happens once a month at most and a lot of other insane poo poo exists, so knowing that seems to imply Blackbeard has a bit of more worldly knowledge than one would expect

I mean blackbeard sailed for decades (?) on Whitebeards crew as a relatively high and respected member, I'm not too surprised that he'd be clued into a lot of poo poo like that

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Unrelated to the chapter, that color spread: I thought it was kinda funny that the bubble letters on Sanji's book looked kind of like they said cocking, but then I read the spine and yep. When Nami and Robin are gone and the rest of the Strawhats are asleep, Sanji finds time to read about cock.

anime was right posted:

Blackbeard spent decades on Whitebeard's crew. Probably had clashes with Roger when Nekomamushi and Inuarashi were hanging out with Roger, assuming they never had a run in with any other minks or the Nox pirates or whatever.

Blackbeard's whole thing is chilling in the background picking up all the information about everything. I'd be surprised if there's much he doesn't know about.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

hatty posted:

Figure out how the gently caress he's stealing devil fruits and stop him from getting the One Piece?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Blackbeard is 50 years old and has sailed around with the most active pirates in the world his whole life and doesnt sleep and had two years with shichibukai level access. He should be insanely knowledgeable.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Nephthys posted:

Figure out how the gently caress he's stealing devil fruits and stop him from getting the One Piece?

I dunno it kinda looked like he had old BB on the ropes there he probably could’ve killed him there if he wanted to stop him

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Seems like Law achieved his goal after defeating Doflamingo. Wasn't he only in Wano to fulfil his end of the alliance with the Strawhats? It didn't seem like he had the ambition to be Pirate King or anything. I remember him complaining about having to fight Big Mom because he just wanted to learn more about the world or something, not like Luffy or Kid who explicitly and constantly say they want to be top dog

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

law is a d and unless he's shown smiling as he passes away he's not dead. also he's a "water" and won't die until that plot point is expanded upon

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Very cool chapter. I have a distinct memory from 10 years ago of reading the the Punk Hazard chapter where Aokiji shows up and being like “what the gently caress is this guy’s deal!!” and it feels surreal to be one step closer to figuring it out over a decade later lol

yum posted:

Seems like Law achieved his goal after defeating Doflamingo. Wasn't he only in Wano to fulfil his end of the alliance with the Strawhats? It didn't seem like he had the ambition to be Pirate King or anything. I remember him complaining about having to fight Big Mom because he just wanted to learn more about the world or something, not like Luffy or Kid who explicitly and constantly say they want to be top dog
He said a few times during Wano that he wants to unravel the mystery of D

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

the mystery of D. Eeznuts

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
It seems like the secondary quest he decided to do after fulfilling the main quest. Where's the conviction!!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
This chapter confirms that someone half of us assumed would be a new character turned out to be the character the other half assumed it would be, but also heavily implies that a character we would know the identity of is probably somebody new. Weird!

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
ah so kuzan is the 10th captain after all & he didn't just join the crew around dressrosa like it was implied back then. weird that blackbeard's ten titanic captains were known back then but it wasn't public knowledge that kuzan was one of them but whatever. wonder what he's really up to - does he really want to see one piece be found and thinks blackbeard is the closest to doing so that he can ally with? or what

you know who has a pitch-black ship? dragon. and summoning whirlpools wouldn't be wildly out of line with what we know about his powers i guess

this leaves lafitte and devon as the blackbeard pirates on their way to egghead

i don't really care if kid is dead or not but i'm glad law isn't at least

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

No Wave posted:

Blackbeard is 50 years old and has sailed around with the most active pirates in the world his whole life and doesnt sleep and had two years with shichibukai level access. He should be insanely knowledgeable.

He's actually only 40. Most of his OG crew are way younger than they look including Doc Q who's only 28.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lih posted:

ah so kuzan is the 10th captain after all & he didn't just join the crew around dressrosa like it was implied back then. weird that blackbeard's ten titanic captains were known back then but it wasn't public knowledge that kuzan was one of them but whatever. wonder what he's really up to - does he really want to see one piece be found and thinks blackbeard is the closest to doing so that he can ally with? or what

you know who has a pitch-black ship? dragon. and summoning whirlpools wouldn't be wildly out of line with what we know about his powers i guess

this leaves lafitte and devon as the blackbeard pirates on their way to egghead

i don't really care if kid is dead or not but i'm glad law isn't at least

Dragon was my first guess too but he doesn't have burn scars, just normal ones so I wonder if it's maybe some guy he hangs up with?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ThingOne posted:

He's actually only 40. Most of his OG crew are way younger than they look including Doc Q who's only 28.
Oh for some reason I thought he was canonically 50 something (tho his appearance suggested younger). Still tho! 40 with no sleep is basically 60 in human time!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

i bet he calls it blue hole because he slams you so hard you fall through the island and into the ocean :allears:

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Plutonis posted:

Dragon was my first guess too but he doesn't have burn scars, just normal ones so I wonder if it's maybe some guy he hangs up with?

yeah i don't think it's definitely him or anything but he's a decent candidate given this info. seems a bit unlikely that it'll be saul now

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eiba posted:

drat, what a chapter!

I hope that early lovely translation was right about What Blackbeard said to get Kuzan on board. It seems like he's talking about the meaning of the word "nakama"! The reason it doesn't just mean "friend" isn't because it's more intense than friendship or anything like that. It actually can imply less than friendship. It literally means someone close to you with a common purpose.

Luffy thinks this is more than friendship- your comrades who have your back have a closer bond with you than mere friendship, approaching family.

Blackbeard things it means less than friendship- you can be comrades with people you don't even like, as long as you're working together towards a common goal.

If that's actually what Blackbeard was saying the drat fan subs from over a decade ago were right! The special nuance of the word nakama was actually really important to this manga! Good thing we have the word comrade to capture that nuance in english!

Edit: lol, I went to check the raws to see what word was used, but there's a gigantic watermark over the relevant speech bubble. Cool.

The base question of all of One Piece: Are you a Comrade, or are you a Bro?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I'm a Matey

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Once again proving the Offscreen Offscreen no Mi is the deadliest fruit power in the series.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pureauthor posted:

Once again proving the Offscreen Offscreen no Mi is the deadliest fruit power in the series.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

lmao Blackbeard is going to lose his only onscreen fight

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Y'all are really gonna be uppity when it's revealed that Dragon ate the Wind Wind fruit

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Scholtz posted:

i could see a fight vs him and shanks being onscreen and him winning that

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

What a chapter! Insight into Kuzan's motivations and a possible shared agenda with Blackbeard (relating to poneglyphs?) and the defeat of the Heart pirates with Law and Bepo barely getting away.

So who is this "flame scarred man"? It can't really be as simple as it just being Dragon, right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dragon's a famous guy. his name, appearance and goals are all quite well known.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Scholtz posted:

And it will be so cathartic cause that fucker had it coming, it'll be the biggest plot chip payoff since Gohan vs Cell

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

flame scarred will be Saul, who took damage from when the previous holder of Ace's fruit had to come by and dethaw him

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Amante posted:

What a chapter! Insight into Kuzan's motivations and a possible shared agenda with Blackbeard (relating to poneglyphs?) and the defeat of the Heart pirates with Law and Bepo barely getting away.

So who is this "flame scarred man"? It can't really be as simple as it just being Dragon, right?

I thought it was already confirmed by Vegapunk that it was Saul?

The loss of the ships has felt more impactful than the defeat of the captains. People get beaten to an inch of thier life all the time in this story, but a ship breaking apart doesnt happen casually

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Amante posted:

Luffy and Sabo both have fire scars. Everyone punched by Akainu, Ace, or Sabo is potentially in the running. Anyone kicked by Sanji's Diablo Jambe is also in the running. Arguably Saul could be construed as suffering ice burns.

Lots of dudes sporting flame scars in One Piece.

White Light posted:

Y'all are really gonna be uppity when it's revealed that Dragon ate the Wind Wind fruit

It's One Piece. It'll turn out he ate the fart fart fruit, which is actually the more powerful version of the various wind model fruits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BB's a charming guy. I'd grab drinks with him tbh.