Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean in Asa's defense she DOES have it pretty bad. Dead mom, dead cat, also she died herself like a month ago.

Basically Asa and Denji have both been through a ton of poo poo and it'd be nice if they had a chance to just hang out and be friends together. If they can somehow survive this primal fear that is.

Compared to most people, Asa has it pretty bad.

Compared to Denji, she's spent her life in the lap of luxury.

That said, the big difference is that Denji had it incredibly poo poo for most of his life, so his standards were low, and the good times are pretty solid, even if they ended horribly.

Asa, meanwhile, had a more normal childhood, and then everything went downhill from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Denji wants more than sex, but he's a basic bitch with 0 education so expressing his full depth of thought and emotion has never been his strong suit. That's just the best way he can describe wanting genuine unconditional love with and for someone, a true expression of a love he has never really had.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Asa has it pretty bad but about 75% of the background characters in this comic have had it worse at this point between bat devil, cockroach devil, justice devil, falling devil, and whatever devil that giant caterpillar was.

Like it's hard to believe that she's had it the worst when a few panels back Falling Devil was ripping faces apart to make a fancy bisque. Of course a lot of that feeling is Falling Devil's power of depression talking.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 19, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ofc Denji is focusing on a simple desire as a way to keep going day by day instead of feelbadding about power and Aki. But he's also 17 and hrony.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Eggplant Squire posted:

Asa has it pretty bad but about 75% of the background characters in this comic have had it worse at this point between bat devil, cockroach devil, justice devil, falling devil, and whatever devil that giant caterpillar was.

Asa died dude

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Jerkface posted:

Asa died dude

so did 75% of the background characters

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jerkface posted:

Asa died dude

she got better!

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

For those battling depression it's a common feeling that no one else feels that way, or as deeply, and that they are alone in their misery. One of the least helpful (unfortunately common) responses to that is to say "okay but I/others have it worse than you so" which is essentially telling someone that their pain doesn't count or is not allowed because they didn't earn enough suffering points. Denji is the goodest boy and didn't try to win a contest of which of them have been hosed over by the universe more, instead he basically told her that her feelings are valid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

'I murdered your cat because it isn't fair you are happy' is pretty drat bad to be fair

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Asa has been walking around at critical hp for years and telling her that it's better if she just killed herself is hosed up. I hope Denji and Yoru send Falling Devil to Super Hell

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
asa died and is now a prisoner in her own body. that's pretty hosed up, even by csm standards. thankfully, she's not very bright so she doesn't focus on the sheer existential horror of her situation.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

GloomMouse posted:

Asa has been walking around at critical hp for years and telling her that it's better if she just killed herself is hosed up. I hope Denji and Yoru send Falling Devil to Super Hell

Well, first, Falling Devil is still murdering Asa, she's not killing herself, FD is just asking her to not resist.

Actual Counterpoint though: If Asa kills herself, she also kills War, so that'd be kind of a good deed I guess.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Scholtz posted:

Actual Counterpoint though: If Asa kills herself, she also kills War, so that'd be kind of a good deed I guess.

War would just reincarnate in hell and eventually come back to Earth so no

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the next iteration of war probably wouldn't remember nukes, so they wouldn't have any beef with chainsawman.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the next iteration of war probably wouldn't remember nukes, so they wouldn't have any beef with chainsawman.

This does make me wonder how long War has been on Earth and at what point Pochita ate nukes.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
This conversation mostly just reminded me how much poo poo Denji dealt with just through chapter 1.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Well, first, Falling Devil is still murdering Asa, she's not killing herself, FD is just asking her to not resist.

I'm not sure what your point is tbh. Telling someone on the edge that it would be better if they let go is an attack upon them, and the victim letting go is an act of suicide. Like ultimately yeah Falling Devil put her on that edge but it think it's clear this would hardly require supernatural powers for someone to accomplish. Rather than just murder her in a thousand violent ways, it's instead choosing this very hosed up way. Unless you needed the Falling (Into Despair) Devil to say those specific words out loud to count? Pretty sure the Devil gets how Asa is thinking, and we get her internal thoughts following directly after the 'peaceful fall' line.

Anyway Denji and Asa should swap hosed up stories after while laying in a pile of huskies eating ice cream

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I think a running theme of part 2 is that trying to figure out who has it worse or getting mad because you think people don't have it as bad as you is pointless. Everyone is in pain and instead of using that pain as an excuse to hurt people like the horrible cat killing orphanage lady or the class president (remember her?) it's better to approach people with understanding and compassion and try to offer support like dear, sweet, horny Denji is doing right now.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

asa died and is now a prisoner in her own body. that's pretty hosed up, even by csm standards. thankfully, she's not very bright so she doesn't focus on the sheer existential horror of her situation.

So far it seems to be the reverse, War is trapped. War said they could kill Asa and take over at any time but so far that may just be a lie. If War could end Asa they'd have done it in the aquarium or during the last few chapters when Asa is in a life or death situation and is going to get War killed as well.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

War likes being with Asa

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jerkface posted:

War likes being with Asa

And weirdly Asa seems to like being with War, if only because it's a step up from her usual state of being utterly alone.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

I know Asa is probably referring to love here given the imagery, but someone that understands her could also work? In that case, War also fulfils this requirement since they share emotions. War is basically a mirror, brutally honest, capable of reflecting and connecting with Asa on a deep level, understand her perspective, and (developing the ability to) emphasize her feelings. Love and war? I don't know, someone smarter and more eloquent than me can provide a better analysis of the themes

yum fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 19, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I swear to god if Asa/Yoru end up loving each other and so one/both get turned into a weapon and dies... I will be very mad at Chainsawman

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Excellent. 10/10 :golfclap:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lmfao

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

10/10 edit someone please narrate that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I prefer this version.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

This chapter was another beautiful example of the Denji Derail. It's when Denji seems to be speaking deeply about some subject like death or companionship or obligations, but then switches to saying something outlandish at the very end. This happened after the first fiend he killed too, or pontification on boob touching being overrated.

I'm starting to think he does have those real deep thoughts, like his care for Nayuta and the doggies being the seeming subject this chapter, but lacks the emotional and maybe even literal language to express such things to others and instead settles on something he does know he wants.

Or maybe he's a basic bitch teenage boy. idk.

:perfect:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Simply amazing

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ranzear posted:

This chapter was another beautiful example of the Denji Derail. It's when Denji seems to be speaking deeply about some subject like death or companionship or obligations, but then switches to saying something outlandish at the very end. This happened after the first fiend he killed too, or pontification on boob touching being overrated.

I'm starting to think he does have those real deep thoughts, like his care for Nayuta and the doggies being the seeming subject this chapter, but lacks the emotional and maybe even literal language to express such things to others and instead settles on something he does know he wants.

Or maybe he's a basic bitch teenage boy. idk.

:perfect:

Both things can be true, like ogres and onions Denji has layers.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think a running theme of part 2 is that trying to figure out who has it worse or getting mad because you think people don't have it as bad as you is pointless. Everyone is in pain and instead of using that pain as an excuse to hurt people like the horrible cat killing orphanage lady or the class president (remember her?) it's better to approach people with understanding and compassion and try to offer support like dear, sweet, horny Denji is doing right now.

While Asa's life is a bummer, she lives in a world where 7 out of 20 people are brutally murdered by devils. Not hard to imagine that anyone still alive and kicking is probably dealing with heavy trauma. In that context, it's pretty wild that so many people use their tragic backstories as justification for being dicks. Meanwhile our boy is one of the only people who realizes that while the world sucks, sometimes you get to eat good food or cop a feel

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Distracting yourself from depressing poo poo by thinking of dogs and cats is a pretty universal treatment, huh. :unsmith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Except thinking of cats is the one thing that can still hurt her

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I just want to say that I appreciate that this manga portrays the concept of war as a strong, but not all-powerful devil that eats poo poo next to instinctual fears like "The sensation of falling" or "It's dark" instead of towing the line of "War is the worst thing ever in the universe and we, as humans, are definitely the most evil and important things that have ever existed because we came up with the concept" that pretty much every author I've ever read the work of won't stop writing.

War's a bitch baby compared to the Sudden Loud Noises Devil. This story rules.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The cat thing is so awful, jfc

it's already been said many times but part 2 is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Desumaytah posted:

I just want to say that I appreciate that this manga portrays the concept of war as a strong, but not all-powerful devil that eats poo poo next to instinctual fears like "The sensation of falling" or "It's dark" instead of towing the line of "War is the worst thing ever in the universe and we, as humans, are definitely the most evil and important things that have ever existed because we came up with the concept" that pretty much every author I've ever read the work of won't stop writing.

War's a bitch baby compared to the Sudden Loud Noises Devil. This story rules.

To be fair this is War after being partially eaten by Chainsawman and thus losing one of its most powerful tools.