Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I guess I’ll start with uhhh

Good?
- Worf continues to be the surprise best part of the season
- Worf’s final scene with Raffi was sweet, I really dig old softie Worf. Too bad the show forgot to keep putting them in scenes together after they left the crime planet!
- Oh hey they actually let Geordi command a ship
- President Chekov was dumb but I didn’t mind it
- Shaw’s review and Tuvok getting to promote Seven was good, probably one of the few emotional beats that actually worked
- Captain Seven hell yeah
- the scene was astoundingly tremendously dumb, but at least they remembered to put Q in the ersatz TNG finale instead of killing him off because of uhhhhh space Alzheimer’s?

Bad, Bad, Very Bad
- …but how the gently caress do you have Q in your finale and not have him pop into that loving jerkoff poker game and go “Tsk, tsk, Jean-Luc. You should have invited me to the baby shower, I give wonderful gifts!” or some poo poo
- how the gently caress did the Titan olds manage to break the Collective’s signal and retake control when every other ship was still locked down and the Cube was still operational?
- really needed to bring Alice Krige back to scream cliches from a bad prosthetic podium, huh?
- Changeling/Borg poo poo still papered over because they never bothered to think it through
- Look, I know the whole crew is going to live and the ship isn’t going to blow up, but at the very least you could have shown some kind of incurred damage just so your big bad megacube presented some threat. Scrape a loving nacelle or shower the bridge in sparks, jesus.
- hahahahaha Geordi’s entire resolution with his Borged daughters is everyone silently staring at each other on the viewscreen while Worf snores what a farce
- lmao I loving knew Jack would be an ensign by the end of this
- I like the Titan-A. It’s a good Bill Krause design. But what in the absolute gently caress are you thinking renaming it the Enterprise? Say the Titan was decommissioned due to damage and loving hire Krause to design a new ship! Reuse the Titan bridge set, who gives a poo poo. You had the opportunity to design an Enterprise and you just lazily slapped the name on a regular-rear end ship! What is wrong with you?

This entire cast deserved better, I’m almost at a point where I prefer Nemesis as the end of TNG. At least that utter piece of poo poo wasn’t a 10-hour masturbatory tour through one showrunner’s favorite references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also yes, I know “Anton Chekhov” is supposed to be a tribute to the late Anton Yelchin, but I wonder if the writers even knew there was a somewhat more famous Anton Chekhov historically…

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Using the massive Enterprise D to do an X-Wing Death Star run looked as awkward as it sounds

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Penitent posted:

Using the massive Enterprise D to do an X-Wing Death Star run looked as awkward as it sounds

And it had the added benefit of making it look just as small as the Falcon when they swooped down to magically save everyone!

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- I like the Titan-A. It’s a good Bill Krause design. But what in the absolute gently caress are you thinking renaming it the Enterprise? Say the Titan was decommissioned due to damage and loving hire Krause to design a new ship! Reuse the Titan bridge set, who gives a poo poo. You had the opportunity to design an Enterprise and you just lazily slapped the name on a regular-rear end ship! What is wrong with you?

I won't get to see this until tomorrow, but what, you expect matalas to not take his totally awesome just-the-way-he-wants-it neo-con ship design and make it be the enterprise forever (or until another trek show in this time period gets made, whatever)??? absurd. preposterous. of course he would.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Question for those who have taken the full force of Picard to the face: foes it retroactively ruin TNG for you in some way?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ashpanash posted:

That's some real return-of-the-jedi horseshit they played there

Straight up Death Star II ending bullshit with the tunnel run and the reactor core/beacon. Yub nub

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Question for those who have taken the full force of Picard to the face: foes it retroactively ruin TNG for you in some way?

Truthfully? No. It’s very bad 90% of the time but it mostly just makes me wish Patrick Stewart had retired from acting years ago.

TNG still exists and, unlike TNG, this show will be mostly forgotten within a few years.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Honestly, for me, it's soured me on Star Trek as a franchise. Even Voyager and Discovery didn't do that to me. I know that's not going to be a common reaction in this thread, but it's how I feel. I had this opinion of Star Trek as a sort of loftier franchise than other sci-fi staples, and that sense is completely gone. Just done. Now it feels like GoBots or Baywatch or something. I now feel like it's a half-miracle anything good gets made with "Star Trek" plastered on it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'd say I absorbed about 60% of the Picard force, but even if I'd caught it all it wouldn't lessen my enjoyment of TNG. I'm more of a Star Wars fan than a Trek fan in general anyway, so I'm very well-versed in picking and choosing what parts of a canon I want to really take to heart and which ones I don't, as well as how to find stuff to like even in the bad stuff.

Also in general for me, you gotta really tank things within your own show Game of Thrones style for it to do any harm to my enjoyment of a given show or movie series.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Truthfully? No. It’s very bad 90% of the time but it mostly just makes me wish Patrick Stewart had retired from acting years ago.

TNG still exists and, unlike TNG, this show will be mostly forgotten within a few years.

Yeah pretty much this. It's soured my opinion of Patrick Stewart, who I feel has basically damaged his reputation, but then it's clear he doesn't give a poo poo so...

:shrug:

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

It hasn't changed how I see TNG. In general, I would rather something exist than not exist, even if it turns out badly. However, I think it has proactively hurt the future of star trek, not only with awful canon additions but also that this season of Picard does seem to be getting the popularity the other series haven't. So more of the same of this seems likely from here on out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lister posted:

It hasn't changed how I see TNG. In general, I would rather something exist than not exist, even if it turns out badly. However, I think it has proactively hurt the future of star trek, not only with awful canon additions but also that this season of Picard does seem to be getting the popularity the other series haven't. So more of the same of this seems likely from here on out.

I think the one saving grace here may end up being that all the sets were struck a year ago and the cast and Matalas have all already moved on to other projects.

Fan reaction leading to SNW was kind of lighting in a bottle and it still took several years to happen. A year from now no one aside from Terry Trek tankies is going to give a poo poo about a Star Trek: Legacy happening, I’d bet real money on it.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
TNG and it's era of shows will always be extremely special. I have friends that can't wait to show their kids their favorite episodes because of the profound impact it had on them growing up.

Nobody I know feels that way about anything new Star Trek has produced. It simply isn't special anymore and while they might occasionally make some decently entertaining Star Trek that isn't terrible, I think the age of Star Trek as something special and generational is over for now.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Pretty sure that whenthe Enterprise-G was revealed my eyes rolled at warp 10 and turned me into a salamander. Anyway, needed more Ewoks and lol at abandoning Laris

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gimme a show about Old Man Riker and Old Man Worf doing missions together. That'd be pretty fun.

Worf passing out from exhaustion once he's back on the Enterprise-D was the best part.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“Oh poo poo! I had no idea it was that heavy!”

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Lister posted:

Yea the main problem for me is that people seem to be liking it
I'm absolutely floored by people enjoying the totally demolished story here, it just makes no sense and I can't see how this is any better than series 2 in people's heads.

Apart from nostalgia slop

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

ashpanash posted:

Honestly, for me, it's soured me on Star Trek as a franchise. Even Voyager and Discovery didn't do that to me. I know that's not going to be a common reaction in this thread, but it's how I feel. I had this opinion of Star Trek as a sort of loftier franchise than other sci-fi staples, and that sense is completely gone. Just done. Now it feels like GoBots or Baywatch or something. I now feel like it's a half-miracle anything good gets made with "Star Trek" plastered on it.

Wait a few weeks and then watch Data's Day.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Penitent posted:

TNG and it's era of shows will always be extremely special. I have friends that can't wait to show their kids their favorite episodes because of the profound impact it had on them growing up.

Nobody I know feels that way about anything new Star Trek has produced. It simply isn't special anymore and while they might occasionally make some decently entertaining Star Trek that isn't terrible, I think the age of Star Trek as something special and generational is over for now.

I’m looking forward to showing SNW to my kids when they are a bit older. I reckon it might qualify. It has the “let’s see what adventure the team has this week” vibe where I bet over a few seasons it will throw out some excellent episodes. Unlike the more serialised shows it can afford to be both more experimental and more 50/50 in terms of episode quality because of its structure, it’s not like TNG didn’t have a lot of rough patches that tend to get skipped on rewatches. Heck you can write off most of season 1 and 2.

I just wish SNW had more episodes. 26 is probably too crazy but either more frequent seasons or maybe 50% more episodes feels about right.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
so wait the transporter may or may not kill you but it will fill you with borg DNA either way which they can activate with space magic and assimilate you?

lmao, i'd never use one ever again

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Horizon Burning posted:

so wait the transporter may or may not kill you but it will fill you with borg DNA either way which they can activate with space magic and assimilate you?

This entire episode of all of Starfleet being infiltrated/taken over and countless people/ships being lost seems to just be water under the bridge.

One would think it would have ramifications across the entire Federation/Quadrant.

Blamestorm posted:

I’m looking forward to showing SNW to my kids when they are a bit older. I reckon it might qualify. It has the “let’s see what adventure the team has this week” vibe where I bet over a few seasons it will throw out some excellent episodes. Unlike the more serialised shows it can afford to be both more experimental and more 50/50 in terms of episode quality because of its structure, it’s not like TNG didn’t have a lot of rough patches that tend to get skipped on rewatches. Heck you can write off most of season 1 and 2.

I just wish SNW had more episodes. 26 is probably too crazy but either more frequent seasons or maybe 50% more episodes feels about right.

SNW is the show I'm the most optimistic about. It would wonderful to see it blossom into something amazing.

Penitent fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 20, 2023

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

McCoy was right all along.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

hiddenriverninja posted:

No. It's like, just a TV show

I know folks who claim The Last Jedi "ruined their childhood" or whatever and man, I dunno what it says about people's childhoods if all it takes to do that is a media thing you didn't like. I'm just never gonna be that guy, I'd rather turn the screen off and go outside or something

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, it stuck the emotional landing at the very very very least. It didn't come down in one piece and was stupid as loving hell, but who gives a poo poo. It's over! :buddy: Our long Star Trek nightmare is over. And it ended on a weirdly happy note so I'm completely okay with it.

Star Trek: Picard is a land of contrasts and who knows I might totally sour on this season the more I think about it, but I think it was a solid 6 out of 10. Episode 9 really knocked it off its axis with how badly stupid it was, but Episode 10 kind of weirdly righted itself with how awesomely stupid it was as a counter balance.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Horizon Burning posted:

The transporter has to kill you now, right? It uses an mpeg file of your DNA to make a copy of you on the other end.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

hiddenriverninja posted:

Not really. Been there done that with Discovery. Hell been there done that with Nemesis
It's already memory ignored as 'doesn't exist as is poo poo' compared to TNG.

No one is going to be debating how X happened in Picard one, five, ten years from now.
Taking the piss out of it, sure.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Communist Bear posted:

Yeah pretty much this. It's soured my opinion of Patrick Stewart, who I feel has basically damaged his reputation, but then it's clear he doesn't give a poo poo so...

:shrug:
Stewart just wants to drive dune buggies, rescue puppers and marry women much younger than himself, and now he has several million more dollars with which to pay for all that.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I did like Gates' very 80's hair in the old PR portrait Jack displayed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lister posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think the one saving grace here may end up being that all the sets were struck a year ago and the cast and Matalas have all already moved on to other projects.

Fan reaction leading to SNW was kind of lighting in a bottle and it still took several years to happen. A year from now no one aside from Terry Trek tankies is going to give a poo poo about a Star Trek: Legacy happening, I’d bet real money on it.

These are my own hopes and fears, all of them. I'm worried that Kurtzman is going to take the wrong lesson from how gangbusters this season of Picard did and try to shift the rest of Star Trek to be more in its image. Yet at the same time, I'm weirdly heartened by hearing the behind the scenes gossip and drama that everyone from the money-level producers to the lowest intern coffee boys just couldn't stand working with Matalas and that he's been gobbled up by Disney to produce slop for them now instead of Paramount. And thankfully the good sectors of Trek, namely SNW and the animated fare are neatly air gapped from the poo poo infecting Picard, Discovery, and their spin offs real and imagined like Starfleet Academy, Section 31 and that fake rear end Legacy show that will hopefully never see the light of day.

Delsaber posted:

No. It's like, just a TV show

I know folks who claim The Last Jedi "ruined their childhood" or whatever and man, I dunno what it says about people's childhoods if all it takes to do that is a media thing you didn't like. I'm just never gonna be that guy, I'd rather turn the screen off and go outside or something

Yeah those people are weird and dumb and insufferable. The Rise of Skywalker damaged my enjoyment of Star Wars for like a few months as I stewed over it with nothing else to watch thanks to loving COVID, but I got over it in due time, just like I'll get over the one legitimately irredeemably bad episode this season posted. This ain't the first time Trek has done its share of bed making GBS threads and it won't be the last either. So this thread can have its perpetual misery machine. Me? I'm moving on. Here's to the summer and winter of Good Trek, baby. The dark days are (hopefully) over!

Lum_ posted:

Worf saying gently caress it and taking a nap was cool.

Worf's comedy bits single handedly salvaged this episode for me. It just disarmed all of my cynicism so deftly, I can't even believe it myself.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 20, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wee Bairns posted:

I did like Gates' very 80's hair in the old PR portrait Jack displayed.

I think that was literally just a photo from LeVar Burton's wedding too :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Blamestorm posted:

13 episodes is probably the right number. That was basically the standard when all this took off and now we’re down to 8-10 episode seasons, which sucks. It’s not satisfying enough when the show is good and a lot of bad shows could probably make good use of an additional 3-5 episodes to try and sort out their serialized plots.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MillennialVulcan posted:

Iirc it was "Special Counsel to the Captain". Absolutely nuts. Still not over him being british.

Because he's a... Jack of all trades. :rimshot:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lum_ posted:

And yes, the entire second season got retconned. For reasons, I guess.

This actually makes me like this season even more. Season 2 was the absolute worst piece of Trek media ever so hell yeah erase all of it. I'm loving stoked Q's alive again. gently caress that being dead nonsense. Sucks for Laris though, but that's where headcanon comes in I guess and we'll just say that Picard went off to that hotel with her on Who Cares VII and after she yelled at him for like 4 straight hours they had an entire week of amazing tantric sex or whaterver.

:rip: Soji, Elnor, Rios, and Jurati, I guess you all just literally don't exist at all period anymore. Oh well.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
lol, spock can't captain for poo poo.

MrData
Jun 28, 2008
Stopped watching this trainwreck after episode 3 of season 1 but I get a laugh when hovering over random spoilers because I can't tell the difference between a random fan's terrible small-universe fanfiction and supposed 'professional' writer's desperate attempt at undoing the garbage heap they inherited. Anyway, I guess Q is just..not dead anymore? Without any explanation? I guess that's one way to undo an entire previous season.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MrData posted:

Stopped watching this trainwreck after episode 3 of season 1 but I get a laugh when hovering over random spoilers because I can't tell the difference between a random fan's terrible small-universe fanfiction and supposed 'professional' writer's desperate attempt at undoing the garbage heap they inherited. Anyway, I guess Q is just..not dead anymore? Without any explanation? I guess that's one way to undo an entire previous season.

Something along the lines of thinking too linearly.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There..are…THREE TWO seasons!

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Holy crap, I was actually OK with it. Emotional even. After 29 very questionable episodes...it actually kinda stuck the landing, all things considered.

Then they had to gently caress up a perfect final scene/credits with a loving goddam pissant Marvel wannabe "M'talas System" post-credits stinger. It's like tossing expired Cheez Whiz on a perfectly good steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrData posted:

Yes, it's literally

Jack: Aren't you dead?

_______Q_______: I'm a non-linear being, death doesn't mean poo poo to me.