Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Desumaytah posted:

I just want to say that I appreciate that this manga portrays the concept of war as a strong, but not all-powerful devil that eats poo poo next to instinctual fears like "The sensation of falling" or "It's dark" instead of towing the line of "War is the worst thing ever in the universe and we, as humans, are definitely the most evil and important things that have ever existed because we came up with the concept" that pretty much every author I've ever read the work of won't stop writing.

War's a bitch baby compared to the Sudden Loud Noises Devil. This story rules.

War is explicitly weakened. They said that after Chainsaw ate a chunk of them, no new wars have started since. Wars not happening makes fear of war go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Yoru is significantly weaker than she used to be because Chainsaw kicked her rear end and ate most of her body which is why there havent been any major wars in the world (and why no one remembers nuclear weapons of WW II)

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Hunt11 posted:

To be fair this is War after being partially eaten by Chainsawman and thus losing one of its most powerful tools.

MonsterEnvy posted:

War is explicitly weakened. They said that after Chainsaw ate a chunk of them, no new wars have started since. Wars not happening makes fear of war go down.

The idea that the concept of chainsaws can whittle the concept of full-blown nuclear war down to a body-hopping Very Special Episode of Blossom makes this all the sweeter for me, to be honest.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tbf even at full strength I don't think War could a hold a candle to Darkness.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

HerraS posted:

Yoru is significantly weaker than she used to be because Chainsaw kicked her rear end and ate most of her body which is why there havent been any major wars in the world (and why no one remembers nuclear weapons of WW II)

Is it that

Or is it that Nuclear Weapons, Nazis and WW2 were devils of their own who were lieutenants of Yoru and were eaten by Pochita

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Is it that

Or is it that Nuclear Weapons, Nazis and WW2 were devils of their own who were lieutenants of Yoru and were eaten by Pochita

It's that the human concept of what we do to one another in war is a learned idea invented by weak apes that is forever going to pale in comparison to the fact that the universe is simply just more than us and we're all born in trauma with an innate fear of its promises.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Desumaytah posted:

It's that the human concept of what we do to one another in war is a learned idea invented by weak apes that is forever going to pale in comparison to the fact that the universe is simply just more than us and human beings are born in trauma with an innate fear of its promises.

Sure sure but I’m asking about the relationship between War and Nukes Nazis and WW2. We’re they parts of her body or were they lieutenants

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Sure sure but I’m asking about the relationship between War and Nukes Nazis and WW2. We’re they parts of her body or were they lieutenants

There's probably a lieutenent devil out there. Maybe we'll find out!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Desumaytah posted:

It's that the human concept of what we do to one another in war is a learned idea invented by weak apes that is forever going to pale in comparison to the fact that the universe is simply just more than us and we're all born in trauma with an innate fear of its promises.

I dunno Halloween was strong but still went down like a punk to Makima.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Denji could beat Halloween with his latest powerup tbh

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't think screaming sex at her would give denji the edge tbh

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

A Sometimes Food posted:

I dunno Halloween was strong but still went down like a punk to Makima.

I ain't got an innate fear of learnin' too much.

My lizard brain does get chafed at the idea that something, like, I dunno, a predator trying to eat me, might have control over my actions.

But poo poo like darkness? The physical experience of falling? Put those in front of me, The Animal, and that's pure panic. Trounces them both.

War? The gently caress is that? You think I got time to learn fear math?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Stairmaster posted:

I don't think screaming sex at her would give denji the edge tbh

Can’t fill your brain with more info if it’s already full of one thing

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Tbf even at full strength I don't think War could a hold a candle to Darkness.

Yeah, based on what we've seen Darkness is the strongest devil out there, at least that I can think of. Makima was strong as hell but at least Denji managed to beat her, whereas I can't imagine Darkness being beaten. And we know Chainsaw Man was able to beat War in the past, so yeah I'd put a full strength War below Darkness as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
We still haven’t seen Death, something that could be both a horseman and a primal fear

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Death is either very very strong or very nice to Chainsaw because it is the only remaining conclusion for beings at the end of their lifespan, of a previous total of five. Chainsaw ate the other conclusions, along with human beings' sixth-sense and the light of a star that breaks the minds of children.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I still think Death is not going to be anywhere near as powerful, or at least as malevolent, as you'd expect. The process of dying is terrifying, cancer or burning or drowning, and those things are distinct enough they seem to get a separate Devil. Meanwhile a lot of the fear of death itself is the unknowable-ness of what that is even like. Which seems more under the portfolio of Darkness, the fear of the unknown outside the campfire light. Also I just want them to be able to bounce off Denji an Asa more than something like Falling can

EDIT: VVV yeah that's basically what I'm hoping for. Discworld Death or Angel Devil style VVV

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 20, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Death will just be Discworld death. Like just the same character, no explanation.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Death is either very very strong or very nice to Chainsaw because it is the only remaining conclusion for beings at the end of their lifespan, of a previous total of five. Chainsaw ate the other conclusions, along with human beings' sixth-sense and the light of a star that breaks the minds of children.

Man I love that kind of poo poo. Just makes my imagination race with the possibilities.

Like, in the Three Body Problem trilogy (spoilers in case you’re going to read) they find out the universe used to have 10 dimensions and the speed of light used to be almost infinitely fast but the constant warring between aliens degraded the fabric of spacetime because they used dimension-collapsing bombs on each other.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Eimi posted:

Death will just be Discworld Death of Rats. Like just the same character, no explanation.

a humble suggestion/alteration

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the personality of devils is influenced by their core concept, but not completely dependent on it. the death devil could be any kind of person. well, unless their age and incredible power means they are beyond anything a human could recognize as a person. that was sort of true for darkness.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i hope the death devil is a bodacious babe

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Valentin posted:

a humble suggestion/alteration

an acceptable alternative

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I know the "Yoshida= death devil" theory doesn't really make sense, but he really is a good example of the way death works personified:

Death is always there, just kind of lurking in background. Sometimes you go long periods of time without thinking about it, but it never really goes away. Then suddenly BAM! it comes back in a way that's shocking or inevitable and unavoidable, then it goes back just sort of being in the background and waiting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no one goes long periods without thinking about death in this setting.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Darkness was a bit of an rear end in a top hat, but Falling has been lovely so far if you ignore all the killing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Darkness was a bit of an rear end in a top hat, but Falling has been lovely so far if you ignore all the killing.

The killing is one thing. Stealing apples, on the other hand, that's right out of bounds.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

mycelia posted:

Life is full of misery, but cats also exist. It honestly makes me wonder if Fujimoto has real experience with those kind of feelings because gently caress if that didn't resonate with me. (I type, with my cat making a nuisance of herself because it's dinnertime. Can't lie in bed all day, I've got a mouth to feed.)

Chainsaw Man is a pretty philosophical comic. The whole story is about resilience against despair in spite of a life of meaningless suffering. Aki's suffering comes from a random act of unstoppable violence. Denji's suffering is revealed to ultimately have come from his own hand (he killed his lovely father, thus indebting himself to the yakuza). Denji's superpower, much like Agni in Fire Punch, is the paradoxical power of 1. your body and mind being in relentless pain from being torn apart over and over again, and 2. being able to get back up no matter what.

to slow down having to confront his traumas, denji engages in distraction (I wanna touch boobs, I wanna eat good food, i wanna have sex) and repression (don't open the door). for me, the most moving scene in the whole story so far has been when, defeated by the loss of Power and Aki, Denji submits to Makima and tells her "i'm sick of thinking, i just want to live as your dog." Denji is too resilient to let himself die, but the psychological pain of being alive can be too much to bear.

I think fujimoto just, like, gets it. Denji's poo poo life is really over-the-top, but the feelings he feels, and the ways he copes with it, are 100% real. I think Himeno was another really terrific character. The way the pressures of her job are slowly eating away at her mental wellbeing, so she gives in to her mentor's self-destructive advice of letting loose and going a little crazy to let off some steam, even if it means being pretty lovely to people around you, is really well done. In the manga it's about the pressures of being a demon hunter but it also reminded me so much about being in grad school lol.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Cephas posted:

I think Himeno was another really terrific character. The way the pressures of her job are slowly eating away at her mental wellbeing, so she gives in to her mentor's self-destructive advice of letting loose and going a little crazy to let off some steam, even if it means being pretty lovely to people around you, is really well done.

I was puzzled how much of the fandom hates Himeno, I thought she was well written. I got choked up for her and she was gone by episode 8!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I was puzzled how much of the fandom hates Himeno, I thought she was well written. I got choked up for her and she was gone by episode 8!

She made the top ten characters in the most recent poll. (And, despite Aki winning she was the focus of the bonus comic). I think it's mostly just Aki Angel shippers getting mad and using moral outrage as a smokescreen.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

asa died and is now a prisoner in her own body. that's pretty hosed up, even by csm standards. thankfully, she's not very bright so she doesn't focus on the sheer existential horror of her situation.

she is pretty darn cute though

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

asa died and is now a prisoner in her own body. that's pretty hosed up, even by csm standards. thankfully, she's not very bright so she doesn't focus on the sheer existential horror of her situation.

Tbh, not focusing on existential horror of her situation is actually the smart thing to do.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

GloomMouse posted:

For those battling depression it's a common feeling that no one else feels that way, or as deeply, and that they are alone in their misery. One of the least helpful (unfortunately common) responses to that is to say "okay but I/others have it worse than you so" which is essentially telling someone that their pain doesn't count or is not allowed because they didn't earn enough suffering points. Denji is the goodest boy and didn't try to win a contest of which of them have been hosed over by the universe more, instead he basically told her that her feelings are valid.

This so much this. I had times where i was depressed and i had friends who told me they had it worse and i ended up pushing them away in anger. Like gee thanks for making me feel my pain is invalid. Denji is very much a sweet boy to Asa. Even if hes being basic :v

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Steve Yun posted:

It's mostly because of the whole "sexual predator towards the underage" thing.

She's an extremely well written character in a lot of ways with a lot of interesting depth and complexities. Unfortunately she's also written in a way where she doesn't pass the "would I be cool with this same behavior if it was a man doing it to an underage girl?" test and some people can get past that and enjoy her character anyway and others can't and it kind of just depends on the person.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
You know things are truly hosed up in this world because Chainsaw Man's will to live is dependant on his wood.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's mostly because of the whole "sexual predator towards the underage" thing.

She's an extremely well written character in a lot of ways with a lot of interesting depth and complexities. Unfortunately she's also written in a way where she doesn't pass the "would I be cool with this same behavior if it was a man doing it to an underage girl?" test and some people can get past that and enjoy her character anyway and others can't and it kind of just depends on the person.

I mean people liked Makima and she did the exact same poo poo but more manipulative.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I think Himeno's character was good, but her being set up as a main character and then dying horrifically in a desperate attempt to do something that ended up being completely meaningless in the end was much more important, which does kind of suck, though, because she didn't get enough character development relative to the people she's being compared to. I also think her perving on Denji was a perfect combination of asserting she's not a good person, contextualizing Denji's own pervy nature, and setting up how Makima is slowing gaining control of Denji, all in one action. It's always frustrating when people forget "Good Character=/= Good Person."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ImpAtom posted:

I mean people liked Makima and she did the exact same poo poo but more manipulative.

I dunno, there are some pretty key differences there. For example: Makima wasn't interested in having sex with an underage boy, she wanted to emotionally manipulate and completely destroy an underage boy so she could get ahold of the devil he was using as a heart and then have that devil by her side for all eternity while she ruled the world with an iron fist as an unquestioned God.

To be clear I'm not saying that's any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Didnt she not know Denji's age? And she felt really bad about it once she was no longer puking in peoples' mouths. I had no idea she's controversial btw she seems written to be super likable including a cool eyepatch.