Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

anyone else been waiting ten years for the scene right at the end where zoro or sanji are in real deep poo poo and the other goes through hell to save them because theyre the best friends in the entire world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And then they kiss

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

one of my favourite parts in my favourite manga is when sanji takes off during whole cake and luffy says zoro must be really worried about him and it's the only small telling line in the whole thing that acknowledges how important they are to each other. love that.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

And then they kiss

yes! yes!!

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I think Sanji's sister is going to fall in love with Zoro when they first meet and do the heart-eye thing.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

what if zolo only opens his second eye to do the heart eye thing

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Excelzior posted:

:ssh: the good scan is already out

anime was right posted:

usually oda doesnt lie when people talk about things in one piece, but the way these rumors were phrased makes me feel like they were lies and the person that has the last poneglyph is going to be a subversion of expectation

Honestly, when I first saw the black ship I thought it was going to turn out to be false rumors from people coming across Brook and his ship in the Florian Triangle.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

And then they kiss

When watching through the entire anime with my partner a couple years ago, I think it was during Fishman Island or something, there's a shot of them fighting and my partner turns to me and says "I think they should kiss!". I informed them that they were not alone in that thought haha.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Garp’s third strike on “raising a major threat to the world government instead of a powerful marine asset” now Kuzan was apparently his former protege and has gone rogue. At least Kuzan had a long career in the marines first.

Impressed that in one chapter I’ve gone from “obviously Kuzan’s a plant” to “maybe he’s just genuinely decided gently caress it”

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
strike four, can’t forget Dragon!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Garp’s third strike on “raising a major threat to the world government instead of a powerful marine asset” now Kuzan was apparently his former protege and has gone rogue. At least Kuzan had a long career in the marines first.

Impressed that in one chapter I’ve gone from “obviously Kuzan’s a plant” to “maybe he’s just genuinely decided gently caress it”

New Theory: Garp has actually been fighting the World Government from within for decades. Ace and Luffy were disappointments not because they went became pirates, but because they didn't help him fight the system from within. Kuzan and SWORD are his true proteges, and he's finally nearing his goal of taking over the the front facing, offensive power of the WG.

The final step of his plan will happen when it's revealed that Dragon is actually the 2nd in command of the Revolutionaries, and the true founding of the Revolutionaries happened when Garp learned about Im.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My theory is Garp has been leaking info to the revolutionaries for years, but all incidentally. We know from Water 7 that apparently he keeps in contact with Dragon so I bet every few months he contacts Dragon to chew him out for never calling and in the process starts complaining about all the poo poo the Marines have been up to and feeding them all the hot goss.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
My wild theory is that the "man marked by flames" is actually Ace, and they disguised the last poneglyph as his tombstone.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

My wild theory is that the "man marked by flames" is actually Ace, and they disguised the last poneglyph as his tombstone.

If this becomes true, I think it would be the twist that would stop me reading One Piece anymore.

It would be a total 4Kids move though.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

DeadBonesBrook posted:

If this becomes true, I think it would be the twist that would stop me reading One Piece anymore.

It would be a total 4Kids move though.

Oh no, Ace is still super dead in this scenario, I mean they literally used the poneglyph as his tombstone.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Akainu punches Ace in his back.

"Boy, that hurts a lot Luffy. I'm going to have to go live on a ship in the middle of the ocean and never ever leave it."

Yai oh yai ohhh

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Another Blackbeard oddity:

How did he know that one of the 3 (Luffy, Law, Kid) would end up at Winner Island? Wouldn't you need a log pose from Wano to know where it leads to considering they work sequentially? Does Blackbeard even need log poses to get around the Grand Line?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wouldn’t worry too much about how other characters navigate through the Grand line without log poses, Oda kinda wrote himself into a corner by making them only work one way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Desumaytah posted:

My dumb theory that I still want to believe is that Zoro accidentally made it to Laugh Tale once when he was a kid after he got lost during some innocuous errand and once he made it back, he just didn't think it was important enough to tell anyone. He was sent there for eggs.

This will be revealed as the reason for why Roger was laughing, some rando kid got there first!

No I don't care if the timelines don't match up!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RatHat posted:

I wouldn’t worry too much about how other characters navigate through the Grand line without log poses, Oda kinda wrote himself into a corner by making them only work one way.

Eternal Poses and Vivre Cards both provide alternative methods of navigation besides log poses. Also if you do actually know where you're wanting to go it is presumably possible to use traditional navigation if you're particularly skilled.

The Log Poses are used because you generally don't know where you're going and want to reach the end of the Grand Line, and an island which only one crew has known to have visited, which they guide you too. Plus unless you're Nami levelled skill going in a straight line on the Grand Line is near impossible, from the nightmare hell weather alone.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also if you do actually know where you're wanting to go it is presumably possible to use traditional navigation if you're particularly skilled.

Nah this was established early on to be pretty much impossible in the Grand line. That's why they need Log poses even though they have Nami on board

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it depends entirely on the scarcity of eternal poses. i don't think we've ever learned how log poses are made, much less how common they are. they haven't really been more than an afterthought since jaya, really.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it depends entirely on the scarcity of eternal poses. i don't think we've ever learned how log poses are made, much less how common they are. they haven't really been more than an afterthought since jaya, really.

I would assume Eternal poses are just regular Log poses that have been on a specific island for a very long time. Though one of the movie villains had a Laugh Tale Eternal pose didn't they? I wonder how that was created if Roger was the only one to visit for at least 400 years

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 21, 2023

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

RatHat posted:

I would assume Eternal poses are just regular Log poses that have been on a specific island for a very long time. Though one of the movie villains had a Laugh Tale Eternal pose didn't they? I wonder how that was created if Roger was the only one to visit for at least 400 years

It's not a massive spoiler but I'll spoiler it anyway (go watch Stampede it's dumb fun).

In the movie, one of Rodger's crew made it without him knowing, then surprised him with it on the off chance Rodger ever wanted to return. Rodger said "gently caress that" and threw it into the sea.

So by the movie's logic, they're not too made to make.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Another Blackbeard oddity:

How did he know that one of the 3 (Luffy, Law, Kid) would end up at Winner Island? Wouldn't you need a log pose from Wano to know where it leads to considering they work sequentially? Does Blackbeard even need log poses to get around the Grand Line?

Presumably someone at some point has had a log pose on Wano and went to the next island and then wrote it down or told someone about it. Log poses are important because compasses don't work on the grand line, that's all, you can still make a crude map.

Before someone tells me a crude map can't happen I mean a very crude map like a flowchart of islands.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You should be able to make a map, it's just hard and nobody's done a full map. If you couldn't make a map then Nami's dream would never come to pass.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Making a map and navigating with it are two different things though

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the man with the burn scars is the "Lurking Legend" oda said he would introduce like 4 years ago

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
vegapunk all but confirmed it was saul, no?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

tbp posted:

I mean he put it that way to a teary eyed Robin so if it isn't he's going to get his balls crushed. This is just one of those super rare times something is just speculation from people who aren't as in the loop as the Strawhats.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

tbp posted:

well saul must really have some edge on him nowadays if hes sailing around in an all black ship and causing whirlpools around him

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

vegapunk said he talked to saul and that he was a "strange man covered in bandages" but i don't think he alluded to him being the man marked by flames. and if the weird ghost story from laffitte has any truth to it i really don't think it's him

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

notwithyourheart posted:

vegapunk said he talked to saul and that he was a "strange man covered in bandages" but i don't think he alluded to him being the man marked by flames. and if the weird ghost story from laffitte has any truth to it i really don't think it's him
Yeah, I only just went back to read chapter 1066- we were all sure it was Saul from that, but the Man Marked by Flames was never mentioned. And anyway, Saul was marked by ice. And all he had was books- we don't have any reason to believe he has a red poneglyph. The Man Marked by Flames might really be a new character.

I like that Kuzan jokes about being the man scarred by flames in this chapter, because he is up there in terms of characters meaningfully scarred by flames.

I wonder if it is a new character if they're related to an existing character in a meaningful way- perhaps the person who gave him his scars... was Ace.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
it's time for Scopper Gaban to appear boys

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I'm betting he's a lunarian and we'll have a lore dump from Vegapunk before we meet him

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sub Harrison posted:

I'm betting he's a lunarian and we'll have a lore dump from Vegapunk before we meet him
But Vegapunk's ability to dump has betrayed him!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Eiba posted:

But Vegapunk's ability to dump has betrayed him!

:thumbsup:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
we still haven't gotten to the flashback with Bonney :ohdear:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Give her a break, she's been in the Pain Room for like a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah she's basically getting the emotional damage version of Zoro got at the end of Thriller Bark