Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Hey thread long time no see. I'm looking for recommendations on reading about military doctrines; one that does a compare and contrast between different national militaries would be excellent! My understanding is that during and after WW2, there's a lot of consensus on maneuver warfare emerging - I mostly wanted to know how much, given that context, things differed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"Route Army" seems no weirder than "Motor-Rifle Division" or referring to units that don't fight primarily by throwing grenades at people as "Grenadiers".

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

madeintaipei posted:

10th Mountain Division it remains, and it's name means something.

yeah it means flagging all your friends with live ammo in a shoot house, lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FMguru posted:

"Route Army" seems no weirder than "Motor-Rifle Division" or referring to units that don't fight primarily by throwing grenades at people as "Grenadiers".

That's right, I'm a cavalry officer *gets on helicopter*

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Xakura posted:

yeah it means flagging all your friends with live ammo in a shoot house, lol

See! Adaptability. Even in the bad things. loving up in new, exciting, never before seen (and/or accepted) ways!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FMguru posted:

why is motor-rifle division weird, it's infantry armed with rifles that uses motorized transport.

someone (xiahou dun) who knows poo poo about languages can chime in but i think Route Army is an artifact of Chinese not having a great singular word for the corps-level command

zoux posted:

That's right, I'm a cavalry officer *gets on helicopter*

cav on helos similarly makes sense. they are fast, they are good for recon, and they die if you look at them wrong. aircav is true cav.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

spectralent posted:

Hey thread long time no see. I'm looking for recommendations on reading about military doctrines; one that does a compare and contrast between different national militaries would be excellent! My understanding is that during and after WW2, there's a lot of consensus on maneuver warfare emerging - I mostly wanted to know how much, given that context, things differed.

most joints field manuals got published so if you wanna learn about how various national militaries thought about how to fight a war you can go straight to the primary sources

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

cav on helos similarly makes sense. they are fast, they are good for recon, and they die if you look at them wrong. aircav is true cav.

This checks out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
in my limited experience, helicopters are perhaps the one thing scarier than horses.

or in other words cavalry are lunatics.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Poor 'ol Frecklecopter, thought of crosswinds and died

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why is motor-rifle division weird, it's infantry armed with rifles that uses motorized transport.

someone (xiahou dun) who knows poo poo about languages can chime in but i think Route Army is an artifact of Chinese not having a great singular word for the corps-level command

Lol. Sure.

路 also means “type” but it can go with verbs too so also “method, fashion”. Also it’s a classifier (rows, lines) which doesn’t hurt. It’s an incredibly natural thing to call a division of something ; you’re basically calling it “number thing”. I think the problem is someone just did a bad job translating and it stuck.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Personally I think 路軍 implies a certain amount of strategic mobility, as opposed to garrison forces or militia that just sit around and defend towns. Like, you can order them to march from point A to point B without them totally falling apart.

Comedy option: the officers at the table were talking about 陆军 and the poorly-educated clerk taking minutes wrote it down as 路軍 (they are pronounced the same).

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Good sources that aren't The Guns of August (I've lifted the summaries elsewhere because I don't have time to summarize them all myself but I can vouch for these sources being great because I've used them before as references myself when writing historiographies of mobilization)

The First World War by John Keegan
- Keegan's book has become a ​modern-day classic, representing the most popular view of the Great War: a bloody and futile conflict, fought in chaos, causing the unnecessary death of millions. Three concentrations of black and white photographs and a selection of quality maps accompany a superbly written narrative that expertly guides the reader through a complex period.

1914-1918: The History of the First World War by David Stevenson
- Stevenson tackles vital elements of the war missing from more military accounts, and is a good addition to Keegan. If you only read one breakdown of the financial situation affecting Britain and France (and how the US helped before they declared war), make it the relevant chapter here.

The FIrst World War by Gerard De Groot
- Recommended by several university lecturers as the best single-volume introduction for students, this is a relatively small, and thus more easily digested volume which should be affordable. A superb overall account of events, with enough bite to keep Great War experts interested.

The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 by Christopher Clark
- Clark has won awards for his work on German history, and here he tackles, in great detail, the start of the First World War. His volume debates how the war began, and by refusing to blame Germany--and instead blaming all of Europe--has been accused of bias. [TB Note: This one ruffled some feathers among academics but it's worth a read anyway because I've always felt blaming Germany solely was a bunch of horse poo poo from the start]

Quoting this here because I've fallen out of touch of the recommended list on WW1 from this milhist thread.

I know from some half remembered posts way back when that one history writer was quite popular but completely on the nose in this thread or one of its ancestors because they were a terrible hack and I just want to double-check if any of the ones quoted above were the bogey I'm half remembering.

Or was it Carlin that was the excrement pile?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

spectralent posted:

Not written content, but Nick Moran/The Chieftain has a good series of videos on the development of various nations' armored doctrines in the buildup and first years of the Second World War. They're pretty good, and sources are provided in the video descriptions for more in-depth reading.

E: On the Naval side, I haven't read it but I know there's a book called "Learning War" about the development of the US Navy's doctrine before and during World War II. Drach has a pair of interviews with the author here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfbPjXAL1C0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmPpqUwtKoE

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 21, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Carth Dookie posted:

Quoting this here because I've fallen out of touch of the recommended list on WW1 from this milhist thread.

I know from some half remembered posts way back when that one history writer was quite popular but completely on the nose in this thread or one of its ancestors because they were a terrible hack and I just want to double-check if any of the ones quoted above were the bogey I'm half remembering.

Or was it Carlin that was the excrement pile?

I don't think that Keegan was a hack at all, but because it came up in the acoup blog quite recently I'll link the discussion on his The Face of Battle: https://acoup.blog/2023/03/31/michael-taylor-on-john-keegans-the-face-of-battle-a-retrospective/. The tldr is that Keegan was relying on scholars with an agenda to push (including thread favorite and generally untrustworthy fellow S.L.A. Marshall) and this work in particular was important to the field if not exactly cutting edge scholarship these days (such is history though). That said, just glancing at his list of works on Wikipedia certainly raises a couple eyebrows, but I haven't read it so don't take my word for it.

But yeah Dan "the holocaust was good actually because it might have prevented other holocausts" Carlin is a hack who needs to call it a day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know it's axiomatic that helicopters are dangerous as gently caress: is that getting better?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PittTheElder posted:

But yeah Dan "the holocaust was good actually because it might have prevented other holocausts" Carlin is a hack who needs to call it a day.
:wtc:

Unless I guess he's arguing SOMEONE would have used the tools laying around to do something LIKE the Holocaust, potentially without being defeated in the subsequent war

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PittTheElder posted:

Wait what

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'm not sure if I agree with the "people didn't think of the Nazis as the Holocaust guys until 1955" thing. The reaction to US soldiers liberating concentration camps was immensely strong, leading to outbreaks of violence against German civilians and POWs. The Nuremberg trials and Auschwitz trials were huge events that drew immense attention from the international public opinion. Sure, maybe it took people some time to internalise just how horrible the Holocaust and general Nazi exterminationism were, but I'm pretty sure they were widely understood as a big deal and a terrifying crime.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PittTheElder posted:

I don't think that Keegan was a hack at all, but because it came up in the acoup blog quite recently I'll link the discussion on his The Face of Battle: https://acoup.blog/2023/03/31/michael-taylor-on-john-keegans-the-face-of-battle-a-retrospective/. The tldr is that Keegan was relying on scholars with an agenda to push (including thread favorite and generally untrustworthy fellow S.L.A. Marshall) and this work in particular was important to the field if not exactly cutting edge scholarship these days (such is history though). That said, just glancing at his list of works on Wikipedia certainly raises a couple eyebrows, but I haven't read it so don't take my word for it.

Yeah, Keegan's really loving important. I know/knew more than one old (as in, got their PhDs in the 60s-70s) who said that was the book that convinced them military history was a real discipline that could do "important" stuff like culture rather than just buttons and battlefields.

quote:

Wait, what?!?. Like, my opinion of him is pretty low already ("Like TWO PUNCH DRUNK BOXERS!") but goddamn. Did he really say that?

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 21, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tevery Best posted:

I'm not sure if I agree with the "people didn't think of the Nazis as the Holocaust guys until 1955" thing. The reaction to US soldiers liberating concentration camps was immensely strong, leading to outbreaks of violence against German civilians and POWs. The Nuremberg trials and Auschwitz trials were huge events that drew immense attention from the international public opinion. Sure, maybe it took people some time to internalise just how horrible the Holocaust and general Nazi exterminationism were, but I'm pretty sure they were widely understood as a big deal and a terrifying crime.

People were aware, but it wasn't the main defining thing. It was just another war crime lumped in with the other war crimes. It's not until later that the murder of the Jews, specifically, gets singled out as it's own special thing, at least in a cultural sense. If you ask someone in 1950 about the crimes of the Nazis they're just as likely to talk about murdering POWs or crack downs against civilians in areas that were resisting or bombing Rotterdam etc. If you ask someone about the crimes of the Nazis in 1990 they're going straight to genocide.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Could it have been that TV series that crystallized everything?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nessus posted:

Could it have been that TV series that crystallized everything?

Holocaust? I've heard more than one very senior holocaust scholar point to it specifically as a watershed for that.

It's in the air before that. 50's era documentaries, the Eichmann Trial in particular was major international news and arguably did it already for the sort of people who followed the news.

But Mary and Joe suburbanite who were 5 years old when the war ended and don't really give a gently caress about foreign trials? It was huge for that demographic.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Scaling order of terrible plus war time propaganda. If you lived through the time period, you would have been progressively exposed to warcrimes like the bombing of Guernica, and then Warsaw, Rotterdam, big etc here , and then slowly worked up to the Dresden trials like my grandfather. Today you ironically start with genocide and work your way down the scale of war crimes. A Holocaust survivor talked at my middle school as a kid. It wasn't until I read more about Orwell that I started to learn about the lesser war crimes that preceded it, and by the ludicrous scale of aerial campaigns that the US&UK was going to commit, Rotterdam was just a small taste of what was to come.

So what's missing is the zeitgeist. I'm looking at events that happened in my grandfather's childhood and what stands out to me is some of the worst things ever done and also some other horrid but by today's unfortunate standards, almost run of the mill awfulness. My grandfather started out on the other end of that, growing up hearing about the war crimes down to (lest we forget the appropriate context here) Europeans, and then culminating with the genocide.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 21, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Scaling order of terrible plus war time propaganda. If you lived through the time period, you would have been progressively exposed to warcrimes like the bombing of Guernica, and then Warsaw, Rotterdam, big etc here , and then slowly worked up to the Dresden trials like my grandfather. Today you ironically start with genocide and work your way down the scale of war crimes. A Holocaust survivor talked at my middle school as a kid. It wasn't until I read more about Orwell that I started to learn about the lesser war crimes that preceded it, and by the ludicrous scale of aerial campaigns that the US&UK was going to commit, Rotterdam was just a small taste of what was to come.

For your typical American audience Malmedy was the face of German barbarism in the way that Rotterdam was for a lot of BeNeLux Europeans. Peiper was notorious in ways that he's just not today.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

PittTheElder posted:

Dan Carlin :barf:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, Keegan's really loving important. I know/knew more than one old (as in, got their PhDs in the 60s-70s) who said that was the book that convinced them military history was a real discipline that could do "important" stuff like culture rather than just buttons and battlefields.

Wait, what?!?. Like, my opinion of him is pretty low already ("Like TWO PUNCH DRUNK BOXERS!") but goddamn. Did he really say that?

yeah I'm curious, I get the long-winded boxing analogy dad history isn't great but did he do something to go from mediocre to bad?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Biffmotron posted:

And also not to fall into "you do not, in fact have to hand it to them," re: authoritarian governments but in the 1930s support for the liberal democratic order was reasonably a lot lower than it was today. A whole bunch of constitutional monarchies and republics had fought the Great War, and then failed to prevent a worldwide financial crisis. The franchise was more limited than it is today, and democracy had shallower historical roots. Huge swaths of people in Africa and Asia were colonial subjects with limited political rights. And while there was plenty of bloodshed in the Russian Civil War and the Spanish Civil War, Nazi Germany and the USSR had not really gotten into the depths of their genocides, and public awareness of their atrocities was much lower.

To their credit, there were plenty of contemporaries who recognized these regimes for what they were, but in the 1930s a citizen of one of these countries supporting their government, or a foreigner recognizing their legitimacy and even admiring their policies, is not exactly a sign of good political judgement, but also not the "Christ what is wrong with you?" that those opinions would be today.

yeah, the opinion among large segment of the intelligentsia in the west during the 1930s was that liberal democracies were doomed and destined to be replaced by either fascism to the right or Communism to the left.

To quote eric hobsbawm: "you were living through the crash of the old world, and you had to look for alternatives: and it was either the Communist alternative or the Fascist alternative"

the aftermath of WWI and the Great Depression really shook liberal democracies to their foundations in a way that's hard to fathom today.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

yeah I'm curious, I get the long-winded boxing analogy dad history isn't great but did he do something to go from mediocre to bad?

I saw an effort post this morning, but now I can't find it. I'll keep looking.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, it's not quite totally insane given the politics of the 1920s. It really, REALLY can't be under-stated just how hostile the British and the US were to the USSR existing in the late teens/early 20s

Depends on which period tbh

Herbert Hoover led American relief effort for famine in Russia in 1921: and received official thanks of the Soviet government for it. Lenin proposed and the British and the Soviets signed trade agreements in 1921 to renew pre-revolutionary commerce between the two countries as part of the NEP. The UK recognized the USSR in 1924.

I think it's more accurate to say the relationship between the UK/US and the USSR was pretty complex and wax and waned between the end of the allied intervention and WWII. There were ideological and geopolitical hostilities certainly, but also pragmatic cooperation.

I think both sides started shoving the part about pragmatic cooperation during that period into the memory hole because it was ideologically inconvenient later on.

Typo fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 21, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, he started talking about history that I actually knew about.

I really liked his Mongols series, in large part because it's a time period I knew next to nothing about and I'll give him credit for being a good story teller. Then I listened to his series on WW1 and kept having to fight the urge to huck my phone in a lake.

I think I've posted about it before, likely in this very thread, but what it really tl;dr's down to is that he uncritically uses a lot of older sources and regurgitates analyses and theses that were tossed aside by actual historians half a century ago. He leans HEAVILY into Barbara Tuchman, for example, and pretty uncritically reproduces the old "no one was to blame, Europe just blindly stumbled into this awful tragedy" line that got nuked by Fischer in the 60s.

Now, I can't fault a pop-history guy making podcasts for leaning on the secondary literature. But christ almighty he is bad at selecting his sources.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
US-Soviet cooperation shows up in my part of history too. When Amtorg agents are meeting with Christie to buy his tanks, they're doing it officially as representatives of the Soviet government. They actually insist to get permission from Washington to export the tanks, even though Christie claims that he's under no obligation to declare this sale. Nevertheless he does get written permission to sell two tanks.

Compare this to France who showed Soviet agents the door and refused to sell them a Renault NC.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

To be fair to the original premise, in the late teens there were US troops deployed on Russian soil actively fighting the Red Army and dying. Tough to get much more oppositional than that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Just got word this morning that Ken Potts, one of the last two survivors from the sinking of USS Arizona, just passed away. He'd just turned 102 a few days ago.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

To be fair to the original premise, in the late teens there were US troops deployed on Russian soil actively fighting the Red Army and dying. Tough to get much more oppositional than that.

To be extremely unfair to it, the US was one of the premier powers just years later to feed the Soviet Union after the aftermath of the civil war caused a massive collapse of agriculture. Like, even European powers, among them Germany, suddenly spends a lot of resources keeping the Soviet Union alive by feeding its people.

Only when the US eventually learned that agriculture had somewhat recovered and the Soviet government had started to sell the grain delivered as international aid did this massive help effort die down.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

To offer him the tiniest credit, he definitely thinks the holocaust is bad. (I can't believe I just wrote that sentence.) If I'm remembering rightly he was trying to say something along the lines that there's a silver lining to the holocaust, which... christ.

But yeah, I've stopped listening to him in part because he desperately needs and editor to clean up his rambling, and maybe someone to bounce ideas off a little more so he can hear how he sounds. I am being incredibly charitable here.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is there a good book/youtube/podcast about German POWs sent to the US in WWII? Or does someone want to make an effortpost about it? Some relatives of mine remember them coming to their small, rural southern lumber town and I'd like to learn more about it- both the experiences/memories of the locals and of the POW's themselves.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

glynnenstein posted:

To offer him the tiniest credit, he definitely thinks the holocaust is bad. (I can't believe I just wrote that sentence.) If I'm remembering rightly he was trying to say something along the lines that there's a silver lining to the holocaust, which... christ.

But yeah, I've stopped listening to him in part because he desperately needs and editor to clean up his rambling, and maybe someone to bounce ideas off a little more so he can hear how he sounds. I am being incredibly charitable here.

If we’re talking about the same thing, I remember in the Mongol series he was talking about modern scholarship looking at upsides of Genghis Khan’s conquests, and he made a pretty clumsy aside about if in 2630 some people will say maybe The Holocaust had an upside. But that was pretty clearly making a point about how time can bleach some of the emotion out of horrific events : it was disagreeing with people minimizing the impact of Mongol atrocities.

I never bothered to check, but I assume no one has seriously argued the Mongol conquests were swell and good and cool, and this is a Dad brain interpretation of someone pointing out some good things Mongols did, or any positive consequences.

Not 100% sure, but no one has cited him actually saying this (yet) and it has all the bits together and just needs someone not listening well to flip the line of argumentation. I only remember it because it’s a dumb loving thing to say anyway and I vividly remember stopping what I was doing (moving) and just thinking about how many drafts that went through and still survived.

:shrug:

Now I need to shower in case I accidentally defended Dan “7 hour hate-listen” Carlin.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there a good book/youtube/podcast about German POWs sent to the US in WWII? Or does someone want to make an effortpost about it? Some relatives of mine remember them coming to their small, rural southern lumber town and I'd like to learn more about it- both the experiences/memories of the locals and of the POW's themselves.

Meeting The Enemy by Arthur Rathburn is a fictionalized memoir based on his interviews of a Nazi officer who spent years as a POW in the US. It describes how they worked on farms near the POW camp and it gradually became more and more permissive, until eventually he just lived in town and phoned the camp periodically to confirm he hadn't escaped.

There's an unrelated book of the same name by Richard van Emden, about WWI. Looking for that one is how I ended up reading the one by Rathburn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Just got word this morning that Ken Potts, one of the last two survivors from the sinking of USS Arizona, just passed away. He'd just turned 102 a few days ago.

RIP :911: