Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Elfface posted:

I only know it as another way of saying 'oval office' so could be any female character, but given the post history, I'm assuming it means the youngest one.

spoilering for some :nms:

that's what I assummed, and it does mean that, but it also seems to have a second meaning that pedophiles like the use to talk about little kids...which I also sort of assumed, given the context and aforementioned post history, hence my freak out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's definitely the word at the top of my "words I would like to see scoured off the face of the internet" list.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He's right, IMO.

EDIT: Invictus, if that wasn't clear.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It really sucks how casually people on here call me or anyone else a pedo when I am violently opposed to people like that guy, and especially with what I've gone through in my life. when I found out one of my coworkers wears thick long jeans year round not because he likes them but because (cw)it hides the ankle tracking bracelet from when he was convicted for raping a 13 year old it took monumental effort to restrain myself. Someone who takes PRIDE in their criminal degeneracy? Death is too good for them

I'd rather be banned forever from there than post in the same space someone like that is accepted, that's not even his worst post from the ones I saw. I'll say it again when my ban expire in august

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Plutonis posted:

lmao honestly respect to invictus for that

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:hmmyes:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

That's just good advice.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'd never heard about sleeveless hoodies before, and now I wish I hadn't. :mad:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'd never heard about sleeveless hoodies before, and now I wish I hadn't. :mad:

Even worse: crop-top hoodies

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

:mods:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Happy Landfill posted:

*shudder*

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

sums up 90% of any "kicked out of a party" manga.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It might be taken to a ludicrous extreme but "stupid prideful people under value support and logistics" is probably the one most realistic things in the current crop of fantasy/isekai manga.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it is my genuine hope that the dungeon meshi anime comes out and its aura wipes the rest of that dogshit genre off the face of the planet

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

kidcoelacanth posted:

it is my genuine hope that the dungeon meshi anime comes out and its aura wipes the rest of that dogshit genre off the face of the planet

can't wait for Namari's spinoff, "I quit the hero's party because they ran out of money, but my new party members have really long legs!?"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kidcoelacanth posted:

dungeon meshi is not an isekai

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The "kicked out of the party" genre often overlaps with isekai but it's not the same thing. Technically.

I do find it kind of funny though that one of the more popular power fantasies these days is getting fired from your job and your old boss regretting it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

dungeon meshi is not an isekai

i am aware but it vaguely plays with "party" tropes and that is enough for my hope that it becomes the most popular series in the world and every other fantasy dipshit retires in shame

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

basically any time i see a new series crop up with a title that is like three full sentences i get furious

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

reincarnated in a gacha game with only 10 pulls per day and I have to pull and banish a super rare card in order to wake up in the ordinary world

(in two chapters, I find out the SR is myself and I spend the next 98 chapters trying to find out what happens when you get banished)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

reincarnated as a common questgiver in a 2008 ncsoft mmo that is about to shut down after six months of initially going live and no one ever receives my quest to collect seventeen frog noses

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Reincarnated in crippling anxiety

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Annointed posted:

Reincarnated in crippling anxiety

This is just my life story.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Brought To You By posted:

sums up 90% of any "kicked out of a party" manga.

It really does seem to be one of the worst standard plots in the litrpg/isekai scene. It's just so easy to make it fall flat with either a MC who's such a wet noodle it's unsatisfying to watch them succeed, or the past party is so comically evil that it becomes aggravating that they suffer no consequences.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
"You think someone like you can defeat the demon lord?" is that genre, but the protagonist was forced out (and sold into slavery) by only one rear end in a top hat member of the party. Said party member lied to everyone else about her leaving, and the party ends up strained because everyone but the rear end in a top hat valued her support and companionship even if she hadn't been a huge help in fights.

It's also not steeped in REVENGE AT ALL COSTS, and the protagonist just wants to live a peaceful life with her new girlfriend.

It's violent as hell, though, and has a lot of blood and gore.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Banished from the Hero's Party is like that too. It might even be the series that started the Get Kicked Out genre. I don't know of anything older that has the same hook.

It's like anything else one series gets popular with its gimmick so everyone tries their hand at it. You get one or two decent copies and a bunch of garbage.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
I'm annoyed the isekai tropes have also completely invaded actual fantasy settings. Does everything need level up mechanics and status windows?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bybus Slago posted:

I'm annoyed the isekai tropes have also completely invaded actual fantasy settings. Does everything need level up mechanics and status windows?

This is what happens when Dragon Quest is part of your cultural literary canon

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Bybus Slago posted:

It feels like the "I wasn't even trying anyway" of worldbuilding. You have no faith that people will take your setting seriously, so you just make it plainly artificial and jokey to begin with.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And that's not even going into how no character in Goblin Slayer even has a name

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
When selling your story to someone, be it a reader or a publisher, it helps to have a strong, easy-to-understand concept behind it. Even garbage like SAO was able to sell, because it had a strong, easy-to-understand concept (you're trapped in an MMO and if you die in the game you die for real). The bad writing, bad plot, lack of character development, invincible protagonist etc didn't matter. I've noticed a lot of light novels nowadays have extremely long titles that fully explain the concept of the story, and I suspect this is why.

Similarly, a story can get bogged down if you have to explain too much of the background at the beginning. The fastest way to get to the actual story is to say "Background: it's like dragon quest/it's like that other popular thing" and then begin the actual story.

Or I guess ripping off what's popular is the easiest way to sell.

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 22, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'll be honest I do think there was more to SAO's success than "people understood the basic concept of the story"

That's not a high bar to clear really

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wasn't SAO a mega-success that helped launch the genre

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Wasn't SAO a mega-success that helped launch the genre

IIRC Mushuko Tensei was the king of web novels and SAO was the king of light novels and they were the big starting points, yea.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_ posted:

And that's not even going into how no character in Goblin Slayer even has a name
eh, I don't think that's necessarily a demerit for a series, Maoyuu has everyone referred to by their type(hero, demon queen, fire dragon lord, etc) and it totally works.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Moayuu also doesn't have goblin rapist as a species so.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
i have zero idea what guilty crown even is aside from seeing cosplay of that one girl with the open top

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

kirbysuperstar posted:

i have zero idea what guilty crown even is aside from seeing cosplay of that one girl with the open top

Bad, mostly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
i also meant to post that in the chat thread but apparently i did not

lol