Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

81sidewinder posted:

Yeah, and that could actually be good or actually happen. I guess I'm looking at this through the lens that GURM never really considered an endgame of this story, and if he did, it was not including all the new characters in Feast/Dance. Fake Aegon has not improved the story.
Oddly enough you hit on what would work-- introducing fake Aegon way way earlier in the proceeds. Speedrun KellyC's bullshit with Drogo and Mereen, probably cut out Qarth entirely and just fold the Unsullied poo poo into Mereen, and simultaneously introduce Faegon from the side. Again if you're only doing it to wrap up the Stark/Lannister/Targ plotlines you'd have to consolidate a lot of Book 2 and 3, but that's not a bad thing-- I actually think cutting Tyrion's poo poo with Shae and Sansa out would be a net good for the story...

.... but again at this point we're basically just rewriting the whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Shae stuff was one of those things where they changed it from the books but still kept the final end for the character, so it ends up kind of pointless she still betrays him and he kills her.

The only real change was she tries to kill him first when the book had it where Tyrion kills her while she's just panicking.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Much like Joel being Pascal, Tyrion was Dinklage so they couldn’t write him as the rear end he is. Instead they made him stupid.

For all its flaws, HotD is a pro-watch if you haven’t imo. Not worth buying a subscription service just for it. But the good bits and some of the cast ratchet it to more like S4 GoT quality.

Tbh I think HotD is the best of the infinity run-this-franchise-into-the-ground spin-offs we’ve gotten the past decade or so.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

When I first read that Dragonpit scene in the books it struck me as wildly improbable, no morale as fragile as a mobs. First blast of Dragonflame and they'd have broken and run.

If you believe old man Preston that's because the actual dragonkillers were religious fanatics specially trained to do it by Oldtown.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Preston gave more thought to that plot point (and many others) than GRRM did.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Reminder that GRRM has published 75%ish of a single volume of ASoIAF since 911.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
We're quickly approaching 10 years since GRRM has released any new material on ASOAIF at all (Mercy was released in 2014)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

We're quickly approaching 10 years since GRRM has released any new material on ASOAIF at all (Mercy was released in 2014)

Funny how as soon as GRRM ran out of the material he cut out of the last two books he stopped releasing preview chapters. Huh.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Funny how as soon as GRRM ran out of the material he cut out of the last two books he stopped releasing preview chapters. Huh.

And holy crap, did we see why he cut those.

The Aeron one was passable, but the Arya preview would have gotten poo poo reviews as a scuzzy fanfiction site if published incognito.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Back when I used to believe a new book was coming out I went to Game of Thrones themed trivia night at a pub.

Our whole table had read the books. We were gonna crush this. The competition was fierce with one other table.

We were tied for first, having gotten every single question correct over 3 hours. The quiz hosts had been hyping this for like 2 months and they had some serious prizes on the line - there was this pretty cool sword replica, a cookbook, and all sorts of Game of Thrones themed booze that ultimately was worth a few hundred bucks.

The tie-breaker they came up with was that they would award the final point to the team that had the most clever or funny Game of Thrones name.

We lost. Our name was "The Fat Pink Masts". The quizmasters had no idea what it meant. Our rivals won. They were called:

"The Lannisters".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Life imitates art.

Lannisters come out on top even when they shouldn’t.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Back when I used to believe a new book was coming out I went to Game of Thrones themed trivia night at a pub.

Our whole table had read the books. We were gonna crush this. The competition was fierce with one other table.

We were tied for first, having gotten every single question correct over 3 hours. The quiz hosts had been hyping this for like 2 months and they had some serious prizes on the line - there was this pretty cool sword replica, a cookbook, and all sorts of Game of Thrones themed booze that ultimately was worth a few hundred bucks.

The tie-breaker they came up with was that they would award the final point to the team that had the most clever or funny Game of Thrones name.

We lost. Our name was "The Fat Pink Masts". The quizmasters had no idea what it meant. Our rivals won. They were called:

"The Lannisters".

You were robbed.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I would've gone with Pale Sticky Princes myself.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Trivia posted:

I would've gone with Pale Sticky Princes myself.

uuuugggghhhhhh

we got mention of fat pink mast and the sticky princes, and of mercy.

please ..no more

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Barreft posted:

uuuugggghhhhhh

we got mention of fat pink mast and the sticky princes, and of mercy.

please ..no more

im a fan of the myrish swamp, personally.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

The Myrish Swamps, filled with Pale Sticky Princes, sent by the Fat Pink Masts.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Should've went with one of the conspiracy lore references. Varys' Mermen or Roose's Draculas

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Could have called yourselves “Winds of Winter” as a joke and then no showed them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

kenny powerzzz posted:

Could have called yourselves “Winds of Winter” as a joke and then no showed them.

lmao

Also is the new fat man books mod worth reinstalling Crusader Kings 3, does anyone know?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lmao

Also is the new fat man books mod worth reinstalling Crusader Kings 3, does anyone know?

It's still very rough around the edges but it definitely has potential, the map is loving gorgeous.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

at the end of the day it doesn't have much artistic merit on its own and it really shows at points, like every single mention of "the prophecy" automatically falls flat for me

I finally watched episode 8 and, yeah, holy poo poo. If they're really going with "Alicent gave up her ambition and was ready to forgive and move on, but a dying, delirious Viserys mistook her for Rhaenyra and told her a tiny fraction of THE PROPHECY she didn't understand and now she wants a civil war instead," that's just impossibly stupid and I can't take it seriously.

TeaJay posted:

Viserys' entrance to the throme room was very memorable for me, on par with some of the better scenes from GoT.

This, however, was fantastic. The one last opportunity for Daemon to show he really is the loving brother he's always said he was, and he does it perfectly. And if my understanding is correct, Smith improvised that when the crown fell off, Considine immediately went along with it, and then they regrouped with the director and said "we don't know how you feel about that, but we loved it?"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

disaster pastor posted:

I finally watched episode 8 and, yeah, holy poo poo. If they're really going with "Alicent gave up her ambition and was ready to forgive and move on, but a dying, delirious Viserys mistook her for Rhaenyra and told her a tiny fraction of THE PROPHECY she didn't understand and now she wants a civil war instead," that's just impossibly stupid and I can't take it seriously.

nothing any targ ever did had ever had any positive impact on the whole prophecy situation, had Aegon not conquered the whole thing the nightking would have just languished for another eternity not able to get past the magic wall, it actually being a major driving force for targ politics for hundreds of years is so comical and anticlimactic it's either an elaborate shaggy dog joke or it's HBO and Gurm pretending that the latter seasons of the show never happened and somehow Jon wound up being super important in the war for the dawn, I personally lean to the latter, while Gurm is not a stranger to shaggy dog punchlines it's that self fulfilling prophecies are a big element in ASOIAF it's still like, a bit much, and the message is garbage because this whole thing about half-accurate monkey paw prophecies driving people to do stupid thing is just... not that profound? it's just a lovely allegory for ambition anyway, it's fine for your epic story to have epic prophecies that matter. like whatever, sure, let's mention this dumb prophecy that is at best an allegory about ambition and at worst a poorly executed epic plot and weave it into a narrative that doesn't need it because it already had all the necessary elements to explain how simple ambition can easily turn best friends and relatives into the worst enemies, I mean, that is already the story anyway, what does the prophecy add.

I am not a fan of the prophecy, I guess that's what I'm getting at.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mr. Grapes! posted:

"The Lannisters".

lol

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Shoulda named yourselves the Lameisters, totally woulda won.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

What is the reference of the fat pink mists? Lannisters is lame but it seems like a default victory for people who don't get it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

iamsosmrt posted:

What is the reference of the fat pink mists? Lannisters is lame but it seems like a default victory for people who don't get it.

It’s from Sam’s fourth chapter in A Feast for Crows, the sex scene with Gilly aboard the Cinnamon Wind.

quote:

And suddenly his cock was out, jutting upward from his breeches like a fat pink mast. It looked so silly standing there that he might have laughed, but Gilly pushed him back

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Platystemon posted:

It’s from Sam’s fourth chapter in A Feast for Crows, the sex scene with Gilly aboard the Cinnamon Wind.

wow I probably never read that chapter, glad I skipped like half of feast and most of dance!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Meanwhile Maester Aemon's dead body is in a rum barrel.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
It started off in a rum barrel, but by the time they got to their destination it was just in an otherwise-empty barrel, originating the phrase tapping the maester.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Taking a shot in the dark and asking if anyone still has the 40K/ASoIaF fanfic from like 16 years ago?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5spfpl2wjddnxz/Grim%20Darkness%20of%20Far%20Future%20-%20ASOIAF-40K%20crossover.doc?dl=0 ?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Are there any good fantasy books written after a Feast for Crows part 2?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yes.

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
https://twitter.com/sweatieangle/status/1650552827662544955

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

What kind of giant nerd could write such a thi- :ohno:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Oh yeah? name three

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

bone emulator posted:

Oh yeah? name three

I don't even really gently caress with fantasy much but both of Marlon James' recent books are dope Africa-based fantasy and NK Jemison writes some good poo poo too

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

bone emulator posted:

Oh yeah? name three

The Vorrh, Piranesi, Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

disaster pastor posted:

Also stupid is when she goes in that consel room. She comes in and is like hey so we gotta put my son on the throne. Her dad's crew is like "right here's the plan we've been working on for years" and then she lectures them for plotting behind the king's back and also didn't know about it. It seems like they can't make up their minds on if she is pushed into this by the patriarchy or if she is super ambitious. A lot of the characters are super inconsistent.