Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

eXXon posted:

The Spark is dead and a bunch of articles said good riddance. The Mirage is rated one of the worst cars you can buy with a "boring" 73hp 3-cyl engine.

Every car should be boring to drive IMO (boring under the surface directly to the nearest lava flow hAhaha).

its weird to me how uniformly negative every article style review is of every single subcompact car. if you look in the reddits the op is some article talking poo poo and some hapless noob in there like "idk my mom got me this car when i finished college and it seems fine" or some old guy like "bought this used for $3000 and have 200,000 miles on it. good mileage low maintenance. nice car" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

almost like 'reviewers' are also part of the automotive industry

anyway, on my day to work yesterday I saw someone riding a bike with huge tall front handlebars and the fattest tires I ever saw riding directly in the middle of the lane with a dozen cars behind them and i thought of this thread and smiled

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Ever since we saw that one truck just have its wheel fly off and flip that one car video from like last month, i've been noticing every dumb rear end jeep and truck with bumped out tires and lol. Its kind of wild how many people do that stupid poo poo to their vehicles. I saw one in the ikea parking lot today with each tire bumped out a good 4 inches from the wheel well.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

“crossover SUV’s” which I guess is every SUV that is smaller than a WWII main battle tank, are what you can buy instead of a station wagon today

yeah like the subaru forester

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The Spark is a POS though. I had one as a rental and it sucked to drive and then the transmission shat the bed and it wouldn't shift out of first. Dollar Rent-A-Car tried to get me to drive it 200 miles back to where I got it from, in first gear, at my expense. I threatened to just abandon it and they finally got a tow truck. They gave me a Mitsubishi Mirage as a replacement. I actually really liked it despite the terrible reviews it gets. Almost 50 mpg.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This is the only car that should be allowed to exist

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 23:57 on Apr 21, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
chevy bolts are stupidly fun cars. my work has a fleet of them for employees to use and i love driving them (in as much the confines that driving sucks dick anyways).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

silicone thrills posted:

my friend bought that exact car, he had to take driving lessons because they don’t drive where he’s from (London)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sonatinas posted:

The only ones I really see in the states are from luxury brands outside the outback

yeah you can wait a year on a list to get delivery on a 90k bmw or mercedes wagon if you are wealthy dog lady or whatever you may become

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

brakeless posted:

I think the strongest car antidote I've seen so far is the strong towns analysis about all the places going slowly bankrupt because residential taxes aren't enough to cover all the maintenace that car-centric development entails and suburbia can only be sustained in the long run through a hidden wealth transfer from more densely built and economically productive areas

at least to someone who can actually acknowledge systemic problems, of course people rarely get upset about unnecessary expensive public subsidies that directly benefit them

oh snap you got a link? on mobile but I’d love to read that article

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ornery and Hornery posted:

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2020/8/28/the-growth-ponzi-scheme-a-crash-course

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

silicone thrills posted:

as much as it pains me to say this ...

all cars must be destroyed

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Not Just Bikes did a good video on the findings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nw6qyyrTeI

It also explains why suburban sprawl is a thing. (subsidies)

Edit: Actually it may be another video in that series. The whole "Strong Towns" series is worth a watch.

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Apr 22, 2023

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

McCracAttack posted:

Not Just Bikes did a good video on the findings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nw6qyyrTeI

It also explains why suburban sprawl is a thing. (subsidies)

Edit: Actually it may be another video in that series. The whole "Strong Towns" series is worth a watch.

The early Strong Towns stuff is hard to watch. The information is good, but the presentation sucks. They recently hired a professional to start making videos for them, and they got way better. This is the one on the growth ponzi scheme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI3kkk2JdoI

But that Not Just Bikes video is also very good. It's the one I share with people all the loving time.

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017
Something I've been thinking about lately is that because cars are so big relative to the people they transport, they look more important than they are. If there are ten cars stopped at a traffic light, they might stretch back dozens of yards, and it feels like there is a huge line of people. Psychologically that makes sense, because a line of people that long would be a huge crowd. However, there's usually only one or two people in a car, so in reality it's only about 15 people. The same number of people on foot would look negligible in comparison.

When you have a road clogged up with cars, it seems justified to widen the road. Look at all the people using it! We need more room for all this traffic! But a relatively small number of people have managed to fill the road with the most inefficient mode of transportation ever devised. If you took the busiest 6-lane road during rush hour and kept the people but removed the cars, it would be almost entirely empty space.

This partly explains the NIMBY criticism that "nobody uses" sidewalks and bike lanes. Even if they are used a lot, it would take far more pedestrians and cyclists to visibly fill those spaces in the way that cars fill the roads.

(This is not a new observation, but it's something that recently crystalized for me.)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
its even worse when you consider how terrible people are at driving skills in general

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I have waited for two reds at the same light like twice on my bike, in rush hour at the busiest place in Copenhagen. This is completely normal every time you drive a car. Cars suck, especially in cities.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Question, could someone suggest a couple good youtube public transport/mass transit focused channels? I know of this guy, but not much else. C:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

not just bikes and city nerdare the ones i watch

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Alan Fisher and About Here

mystes
May 31, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

not just bikes and city nerdare the ones i watch
those aren't quite as mass transit oriented though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
something I've been thinking about lately is how non-car methods of getting around afford you much more of an ability to just stop

if you're walking, you can just... stop walking. There's a whole 'nother conversation to be had about the death of public spaces and that finding a place to sit or even a shaded spot is somewhat more difficult, but at the minimum you can stop walking and take a rest for a moment, use your phone, have a drink of water, whatever

if you're cycling, the same thing mostly applies. There are of course places where it'd be bad or inconvenient or dangerous to stop (sometimes due to cars themselves), but for the most part you can almost always stop by the side of the road. My buddy always told me that, no matter how tough the route/ride was that he was planning, you could always conquer it given enough time because there's "unli resting", and I do think that's true to some extent.

if you're on public transportation, then it's even more true because you're even already at rest sitting on a bus or a train.

but, when you're on a car, a lot of the time, once you start a trip, you're committed to finishing it - pulling over is a whole other thing because you have to think about looking for parking, whether you can even idle somewhere, if it would require you to divert your route, and so on, and that can add a lot of mental stress, while also creating physical stress if you can't figure out a way to stop. I have to imagine, based on personal experience, that at least some of the road rage we experience is rooted in feeling "trapped" in an hour-long commute or having been sitting in traffic for 15 minutes while barely having moved, with no way to step out and stretch our legs and decompress. The moment you turn that key, you're locking yourself into needing to focus for the next 30-60 minutes, unless you specifically plan for a stop-over.

and I think this also extends into why people get on their phones, or put on their makeup, or shave, or whatever, while driving, because they can't stand the fact that you can't do anything else while driving, and they try to cheat the system, as it were

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
honestly the worst part of america enslaving people to cars is that the car infrastructure isnt even good

it was so weird being in Australia and every freeway had designated pit stop/breakdown areas with emergency phones like every kilometer. there's signs up encouraging you to use them for whatever you need, even just taking a 15 minute nap so you don't crash due to fatigue.

https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/road-safety/pausestop

Minera has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Apr 22, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

something I've been thinking about lately is how non-car methods of getting around afford you much more of an ability to just stop

if you're walking, you can just... stop walking. There's a whole 'nother conversation to be had about the death of public spaces and that finding a place to sit or even a shaded spot is somewhat more difficult, but at the minimum you can stop walking and take a rest for a moment, use your phone, have a drink of water, whatever

if you're cycling, the same thing mostly applies. There are of course places where it'd be bad or inconvenient or dangerous to stop (sometimes due to cars themselves), but for the most part you can almost always stop by the side of the road. My buddy always told me that, no matter how tough the route/ride was that he was planning, you could always conquer it given enough time because there's "unli resting", and I do think that's true to some extent.

if you're on public transportation, then it's even more true because you're even already at rest sitting on a bus or a train.

but, when you're on a car, a lot of the time, once you start a trip, you're committed to finishing it - pulling over is a whole other thing because you have to think about looking for parking, whether you can even idle somewhere, if it would require you to divert your route, and so on, and that can add a lot of mental stress, while also creating physical stress if you can't figure out a way to stop. I have to imagine, based on personal experience, that at least some of the road rage we experience is rooted in feeling "trapped" in an hour-long commute or having been sitting in traffic for 15 minutes while barely having moved, with no way to step out and stretch our legs and decompress. The moment you turn that key, you're locking yourself into needing to focus for the next 30-60 minutes, unless you specifically plan for a stop-over.

and I think this also extends into why people get on their phones, or put on their makeup, or shave, or whatever, while driving, because they can't stand the fact that you can't do anything else while driving, and they try to cheat the system, as it were
I think someone on youtube has talked about this several times but I can't remember if it was Shifter or Not Just Bike.

Anyway, this is one of the reasons that it's so dumb for small stores/restaurants to complain about removing parallel parking spaces for pedestrianization or addition of bike lanes, because it's so much easier to just stop somewhere briefly on a whim on the way to somewhere when you're walking or biking.

If you're driving by somewhere and see a store you want to stop at, are you really going to stop and parallel park on a crowded street for that? OTOH when people are making a driving trip specifically to go to a store they're probably going to go to Walmart or Home Depot, not your tiny store.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

RMTransit

mystes
May 31, 2006

That was my first thought too but then I clicked the link in the original post and discovered that that was who they already linked

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mystes posted:

Anyway, this is one of the reasons that it's so dumb for small stores/restaurants to complain about removing parallel parking spaces for pedestrianization or addition of bike lanes, because it's so much easier to just stop somewhere briefly on a whim on the way to somewhere when you're walking or biking.

Like I say all the time, small businesses and restaurants don't want pedestrians or cyclist stopping in because those people must be too poor to afford a car. If you don't have a car you must be homeless or a drug addict or something.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FlutieFlake posted:

Something I've been thinking about lately is that because cars are so big relative to the people they transport, they look more important than they are. If there are ten cars stopped at a traffic light, they might stretch back dozens of yards, and it feels like there is a huge line of people. Psychologically that makes sense, because a line of people that long would be a huge crowd. However, there's usually only one or two people in a car, so in reality it's only about 15 people. The same number of people on foot would look negligible in comparison.

When you have a road clogged up with cars, it seems justified to widen the road. Look at all the people using it! We need more room for all this traffic! But a relatively small number of people have managed to fill the road with the most inefficient mode of transportation ever devised. If you took the busiest 6-lane road during rush hour and kept the people but removed the cars, it would be almost entirely empty space.

This partly explains the NIMBY criticism that "nobody uses" sidewalks and bike lanes. Even if they are used a lot, it would take far more pedestrians and cyclists to visibly fill those spaces in the way that cars fill the roads.

(This is not a new observation, but it's something that recently crystalized for me.)

I always think of the classic Saturn Ion commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_oWmY_mkCA

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

There's this classic

https://www.huffpost.com/archive/ca/entry/why-public-transit-is-better-than-cars-in-1-perfect-gif_n_4304258

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

silicone thrills posted:

Why are the mirorrs not shrek ears. I feel like this was a missed opportunity

Minera posted:

honestly the worst part of america enslaving people to cars is that the car infrastructure isnt even good

it was so weird being in Australia and every freeway had designated pit stop/breakdown areas with emergency phones like every kilometer. there's signs up encouraging you to use them for whatever you need, even just taking a 15 minute nap so you don't crash due to fatigue.

I was just thinking can't you not even sleep at rest areas? I know a lot forbid overnight stay but are you allowed to just sleep a few hours or will some bored statey be by presently to harass the poo poo out of you

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Apr 22, 2023

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah thinking about society in terms of affordances is an underrated path to madness. read theory (gibson)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Small business owners absolutely believe that every customer must park in a space right in front of the door or else.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I always think of the classic Saturn Ion commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_oWmY_mkCA

Wait, is this supposed to make me want to buy a car? Because this makes me want to abolish cars. Well, it would if I wasn't already there.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

withak posted:

Small business owners absolutely believe that every customer must park in a space right in front of the door or else.

there was an article that came out a while back that linked the opposition from small business owners towards bike lanes to their bias with their own parking habits

that is to say, they were the ones who most often parked in front of their business, and thus assumed all their customers did the same

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sitchensis posted:

there was an article that came out a while back that linked the opposition from small business owners towards bike lanes to their bias with their own parking habits

that is to say, they were the ones who most often parked in front of their business, and thus assumed all their customers did the same

lmfao oh my god

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I miss the old CLRV streetcars. Sitting up that high felt authoritative. The new ones are much more accessible which is obviously important, but being higher up than dickheads in lifted trucks was fun.

sitchensis posted:

There's a restauranteur here in Toronto who was infamous for a while for his childish behaviour about any sort of street progress. Al Carbone. His restaurant is called Kit Kat or something, and it's basically right in the heart of the business/nightclub/theatre district, and he would throw tantrums about eliminating parking spaces, bike lanes (I think, anyway, King St doesn't have a bike lane), and then the transit pilot project (which turned King into a streetcar-only corridor at certain times of day). His preferred method of protest was parking his huge Cadillac or Porsche right in front of his restaurant, presumably accumulating tons of parking tickets he has no intention of paying. Other restaurants on the strip are doing fine, because their owners aren't wannabe-mafioso manchildren.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

They should just tow your car and sell it at police auction to pay for the tickets if enough unpaid ones pile up.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Minera posted:

you're absolutely right about american highways but australian highways have about 200 lbs. of smeared wombat carcasses, chunks and viscera per mile so they're not any better

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Paywall I don't have access to:

https://www.economist.com/united-states/2023/04/20/rural-americans-are-importing-tiny-japanese-pickup-trucks

quote:

Acouple of years ago Jake Morgan, a farmer who lives just outside Raleigh, in North Carolina, realised he needed a new vehicle to get around his property. At first he was looking at “side-by-sides”—a sort of off-road utility vehicle. But watching a review on YouTube of one that costs around $30,000 made by John Deere, he saw a comment that said something like “Why don’t you just get a minitruck instead?” That is, a tiny four-wheel drive pickup truck, sometimes known as a “Kei” truck, mostly made in Japan to take advantage of laws there which tax smaller vehicles less.

Intrigued, Mr Morgan started researching. Within a few months, he drove to Newport, Virginia to pick up a 1997 Honda Acty, having spent a total of just $2,000 on importing it. He was delighted. Not only was it “dirt cheap”, but the Acty is less than five feet wide, and so can get into tight spaces a normal pickup cannot, like Mr Morgan’s barn. And unlike a side-by-side, it can also be driven legally on local roads. “They’re amazingly useful,” he says. Not long after importing his first, he sold it and bought another. The new one is even better—it has air-conditioning and a button which activates a dumper.

(preview ends there)

But people have been saying all along people that actually need utility vehicles have less use for over-sized pickups with high, difficult-to-load beds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Paywall I don't have access to:

The ol "print to PDF" trick worked.

quote:

Acouple of years ago Jake Morgan, a farmer who lives just outside Raleigh, in North Carolina, realised he needed a new vehicle to get around his property. At first he was looking at “side-by-sides”—a sort of off- road utility vehicle. But watching a review on YouTube of one that costs around $30,000 made by John Deere, he saw a comment that said something like “Why don’t you just get a minitruck instead?” That is, a tiny four-wheel drive pickup truck, sometimes known as a “Kei” truck, mostly made in Japan to take advantage of laws there which tax smaller vehicles less.

Intrigued, Mr Morgan started researching. Within a few months, he drove to Newport, Virginia to pick up a 1997 Honda Acty, having spent a total of just $2,000 on importing it. He was delighted. Not only was it “dirt cheap”, but the Acty is less than five feet wide, and so can get into tight spaces a normal pickup cannot, like Mr Morgan’s barn. And unlike a side-by-side, it can also be driven legally on local roads. “They’re amazingly useful,” he says. Not long after importing his first, he sold it and bought another. The new one is even better—it has air-conditioning and a button which activates a dumper.

Kei trucks were never intended for sale in America. Most are right-hand drive, and they do not always have airbags or other safety features required in new cars. The bulk are imported under a rule that allows non-compliant vehicles that are older than 25 years to be brought into America, a carve-out intended originally for collectible vintage cars, although a few specialist dealers import newer ones too, for sale as off-road vehicles. They fill a niche American manufacturers are failing to.

Todd Gatto, one of the owners of hvny Imports, a firm in Goshen, New York, says that he has sold over 300 to local businesses in the past few years. “We bought five of them to start, and we sold them all within seven days,” he says. Buyers include farmers, but also building contractors, a deli and Legoland, the theme park. “A lot of commercial businesses see the use of these over an $85,000 f250,” he says (the f250 is an enormous pickup truck sold by Ford).

Unlike new vehicles with onboard computers and complicated proprietary parts, Kei trucks are easy to modify and repair. In northern Wisconsin and Minnesota, people fit them out with tracks to drive on ice in winter. Some owners are almost cultish. “MotoCheez”, a mechanic from Connecticut, says his YouTube channel’s popularity soared after he started featuring his Kei truck.

As the demand grows, some worry that the loopholes that allow their import and use might be closed. Dealers increasingly report trouble getting the vehicles registered for road use, particularly in north-eastern states. Safety concerns are part of the reason. Mr Morgan admits his would be a “death trap” on a busy highway. But some fans suspect an auto-industry stitch-up to keep out cheap Japanese competition. If so, it would not be the first time.