Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Leng posted:

Curse of the Mistwraith was the first Janny Wurts book I read; I only stumbled onto The Empire Trilogy later (and that was cowritten with Feist). If you don't want to commit to an 11 book series, try out To Ride Hell's Chasm which is her standalone first, or the Cycle of Fire which is her shorter series.

I am now at 85% through my (re) read of Initiate's Trial and extremely :ohdear: about the impending convergence of disaster about to go doooooooooown and even though I know Wurts is no grimdark author I weep for the characters right now.

Hopes for the end of Song of the Mysteries: Arithon and Lysaer better be going on an awesome bro adventure/double honeymoon with their no longer tragically separated Great Loves, geas free and all their emotional baggage healed, having won free of Desh-thiere's curse and IDK bringing back the lost Paravians
Edit: also Lirendra better get revenge on Prime "Seldie" too

...I will make one if no one else gets to this by the time I'm finished with my read of Destiny's Conflict (someone please contribute a clever thread title and I will take care of the OP).

I confess that while I adore Mistwraith and To Ride Hell's Chasm, I have struggled with Cycle of Fire. I don't care for child protagonists, and there are three of them! But the worldbuilding seemed really interesting... perhaps I should try again. Reading it could buy me more time as I wait for the final Mistwraith volume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Even official digital copies have a tendency to be extremely low effort. My copy of Mumbo Jumbo had the pictures be unreadable; not great when you're climactic scene involves a picture of a letter.

It's even worse though with things in Public Domain. There's so many awful, non formatted works with slapped on Amazon for $.99

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Velius posted:

I think Hamilton is more an idea guy than a “what are the actual moral consequences of this idea” guy. I guess what I want is “The Overly Indulgent Space Opera (with) Baru Cormorant”, what can I do to make this happen?

That's Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius and Blue Planet: War in Heaven, OP.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Gaius Marius posted:

…There's so many awful, non formatted works with slapped on Amazon for $.99
Archive.org

Which is also a great way to find obscure stuff out of copyright, embarrassing things rich people said, and frankly copyright violations that seem more archival/evidence than willful.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Project Gutenberg also has a lot of ebooks in various formats.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I have ordered Mistwraith and it's arriving tomorrow and I have five days off work

It's going UP

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Leng posted:

Curse of the Mistwraith was the first Janny Wurts book I read; I only stumbled onto The Empire Trilogy later (and that was cowritten with Feist). If you don't want to commit to an 11 book series, try out To Ride Hell's Chasm which is her standalone first, or the Cycle of Fire which is her shorter series.

Could you share your thoughts on Cycle of Fire? I've been curious about Wurts for a while but Mistwraith is very long and I have a lot of stuff to read, so a shorter series sounds nice to get a sampler.

Strix's mention of child protagonists also has me a bit wary: I'm not at all against child protagonists, but they're often written in ways I find frustrating. I'm around kids enough through volunteer work that it stands out to me when children are written as tiny adults, instead of people with meaningfully different ways of thinking about the world and who need to get creative in order to reach the high shelves.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I read Cycle of Fire as a kid and thought it was pretty dope. That's uhhh about the limit of my contributions on this topic.

There's wizards and they have to fight demons. And a lot of sailing. I like sailing wizard books.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

That's Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius and Blue Planet: War in Heaven, OP.

I have played and adore both, but thank you for the recommendation. I’m not sure there’s any IP I would rate higher than War In Heaven.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

habeasdorkus posted:

Project Gutenberg also has a lot of ebooks in various formats.

https://standardebooks.org/

There is also Standard Ebooks, who created beautifully formatted public domain ebooks. Not nearly as big a selection as Project Gutenberg, but what is there is very nice.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Incidentally Blish's Devils Day is a really interesting read if you've never read it, goes hard into depictions of traditional goetia in a way that puts say Dennis Wheatly and the like to shame.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

HopperUK posted:

I have ordered Mistwraith and it's arriving tomorrow and I have five days off work

It's going UP

Jooooiiiin ussssss

I have just gotten to the 50% mark of Destiny's Conflict and HOLY poo poo there was a payoff I've been waiting for for the entire series :golfclap: well done Wurts I just about screamed when I realized what was about to go down, the trajectory of my emotions during the events leading up to it and then the double fist pump in the air coming out of it was the world's biggest V.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I confess that while I adore Mistwraith and To Ride Hell's Chasm, I have struggled with Cycle of Fire. I don't care for child protagonists, and there are three of them! But the worldbuilding seemed really interesting... perhaps I should try again. Reading it could buy me more time as I wait for the final Mistwraith volume

Kestral posted:

Could you share your thoughts on Cycle of Fire? I've been curious about Wurts for a while but Mistwraith is very long and I have a lot of stuff to read, so a shorter series sounds nice to get a sampler.

I pretty much agree with the General:

General Battuta posted:

I read Cycle of Fire as a kid and thought it was pretty dope. That's uhhh about the limit of my contributions on this topic.

There's wizards and they have to fight demons. And a lot of sailing. I like sailing wizard books.

I read The Cycle of Fire when I was in my early teens and enjoyed it a lot then. Not sure how it'd hold up now if I reread it but it has good odds; The Empire Trilogy still holds up really well and I've reread that many many times from when I was a teenager to this year.

That said, maybe The Master of Whitestorm would be more your alley. It's also a standalone and less well known compared to To Ride Hell's Chasm. No child protagonists in that one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Incidentally Blish's Devils Day is a really interesting read if you've never read it, goes hard into depictions of traditional goetia in a way that puts say Dennis Wheatly and the like to shame.

Yeah, that's why I wanted to read it, but I don't know if I can in this format, it's really annoying.

Checking those recommended sites to see if a better version exists, but I'm not optimistic. E: yeah nope

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 19, 2023

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Leng posted:

Jooooiiiin ussssss

I would but I'm currently committed to reading the third act of this other book...

Also I'm on this Victoria Goddard kick right now as well. I just finished The Redoubtable Pali Avramapul (still haven't found At the Feet of the Sun) and Friday I plan to read Bride of the Blue Wind and probably Warrior of the Third Veil as well.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I love a good hubristic wizard in high fantasy, but Mistwraith's Fellowship is really cracking me up

I'm gathering that they're closer to living gods than humans, what with their enormous lifespans (where physical death isn't much more than a small inconvenience??) and an extreme focus on the big picture. It gives them a different perspective that is frequently incompatible with human priorities. But it's hard not to see them as monstrous psychopaths

For example, they invented magical eugenics to produce the perfect monarchs - an iffy proposition from the start - only for it to blow up in their faces. They manipulate events to match possible futures they desire, including some real hosed up arm twisting to get people to do what they want, only for their choices to often be wrong or come with a far more horrible cost than they thought

They viewed Lysaer as "sacrificial" when the Mistwraith was contained but then oh whoops actually that just gave the Mistwraith the foot in the door needed to gently caress up both brothers (thanks again to the magical eugenics; good job, wizards). Their little house of cards collapses and what do they do? They slink out of town while everyone they manipulated is left holding the bag, either to die in the riots or the war that immediately follows.

"lol good luck figuring this poo poo out. if you survive to have descendants then hopefully they'll see it was worth it when in several centuries there's a small chance our group is back together and the unicorns return"

and then when Dakar calls them out, the response is almost literally "well, pobody's nerfect, eh?" I just read the scene in which Lysaer flash-fries a group of women and children to save them from an even worse fate, and I'm internally yelling at these stupid wizards that all this misery is on them

phew, man. wizards!!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

WarpDogs posted:

I love a good hubristic wizard in high fantasy, but Mistwraith's Fellowship is really cracking me up

I'm gathering that they're closer to living gods than humans, what with their enormous lifespans (where physical death isn't much more than a small inconvenience??) and an extreme focus on the big picture. It gives them a different perspective that is frequently incompatible with human priorities. But it's hard not to see them as monstrous psychopaths

For example, they invented magical eugenics to produce the perfect monarchs - an iffy proposition from the start - only for it to blow up in their faces. They manipulate events to match possible futures they desire, including some real hosed up arm twisting to get people to do what they want, only for their choices to often be wrong or come with a far more horrible cost than they thought

They viewed Lysaer as "sacrificial" when the Mistwraith was contained but then oh whoops actually that just gave the Mistwraith the foot in the door needed to gently caress up both brothers (thanks again to the magical eugenics; good job, wizards). Their little house of cards collapses and what do they do? They slink out of town while everyone they manipulated is left holding the bag, either to die in the riots or the war that immediately follows.

"lol good luck figuring this poo poo out. if you survive to have descendants then hopefully they'll see it was worth it when in several centuries there's a small chance our group is back together and the unicorns return"

and then when Dakar calls them out, the response is almost literally "well, pobody's nerfect, eh?" I just read the scene in which Lysaer flash-fries a group of women and children to save them from an even worse fate, and I'm internally yelling at these stupid wizards that all this misery is on them

phew, man. wizards!!!

The Fellowship fascinate me because they're simultaneously an incredible force for good and dealing with really greater scope stuff... but also they're GIANT ASSHOLES and keep making mistakes. Love how they completely ignored the details of the Black Rose prophecy to hurry onto the good bits. Like. C'mon. A lot of the tragedy of the first book is watching them high-handedly decide things without talking to like. anyone? Ever? Asandir even fuckin' opened the book by betraying Arithon's trust and like, what the gently caress were you thinking man.

Anyways they're some of my favorite wizards in fiction because they're the incredible opposite of this:

they have a sense of right and wrong and CARE ABOUT IT SO MUCH YOU GUYS but also they're equally as moronic as shotgun wizard

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I love that one wizard group has the magic orb that’s special to the other wizard group, and they’ll happily give it back if they ask nicely.

And it’s been literally centuries and no. No they will not ask nicely.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

WarpDogs posted:

phew, man. wizards!!!

You sold me on this series right here. I bounced off the first few novels a while back, but I'm going to finish them now.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

StrixNebulosa posted:

they have a sense of right and wrong and CARE ABOUT IT SO MUCH YOU GUYS but also they're equally as moronic as shotgun wizard

Well poo poo, how did this comment cause a Mistwraith book to manifest on my Kobo???

Need to finish The Spear Cuts Through Water first, though. What a fascinating thing this is: lovely prose, well-written characters, multiple layers of narrative, surprisingly good fight scenes and sense of place. I am not thrilled by the end of “Before” where it admits ”This is a love story to its blade-dented bone.” but it has definitely earned some more reading.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love that one wizard group has the magic orb that’s special to the other wizard group, and they’ll happily give it back if they ask nicely.

And it’s been literally centuries and no. No they will not ask nicely.

I literally laughed out loud at that scene, because this very important magic orb on par with a palantir is stored on a random shelf in the equivalent of a dusty old basement. it's treated like a piece of borrowed tupperware

Wurts' writing is really what helps make the Fellowship work, because you're constantly given access to their internal thought processes and reactions, and you can see how that differs from what appears to be cold calculation on the outside. They aren't stupid and they definitely aren't unaware or unsympathetic to the pain they're forced to inflict. Their perspective of life is line one continuous stretch of trolley problems and they're tasked with flipping the lever back and forth

but that's cold comfort to Arithon, Lysaer, and the literal thousands of corpses lol (and it's early counting yet!)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

WarpDogs posted:

I literally laughed out loud at that scene, because this very important magic orb on par with a palantir is stored on a random shelf in the equivalent of a dusty old basement. it's treated like a piece of borrowed tupperware

Wurts' writing is really what helps make the Fellowship work, because you're constantly given access to their internal thought processes and reactions, and you can see how that differs from what appears to be cold calculation on the outside. They aren't stupid and they definitely aren't unaware or unsympathetic to the pain they're forced to inflict. Their perspective of life is line one continuous stretch of trolley problems and they're tasked with flipping the lever back and forth

but that's cold comfort to Arithon, Lysaer, and the literal thousands of corpses lol (and it's early counting yet!)

In Discworld, Sethvir would be the nicest floppy wizard who has a messy library tower and drinks tea and talks total nonsense and it'd be some loving tribute.

Here, well, he's exactly that but in a tragic, awful kind of way and I don't know if I love or hate him. He's great to read though!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am also extremely, profoundly curious to know if we'll ever find out where Dakar's prophecies come from. There's a whole ceremony for explaining how the wizards can do some kind of limited foresight, but what Dakar has is altogether in another level, and I've read enough fantasy that I don't trust any prophecy without knowing where it came from.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Boy on the Bridge (Girl with All the Gifts #2) by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LL8BX9Q/

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I created a thread for the Wars of Light and Shadow series: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030263

With the final book on the horizon it's the perfect time to start (or restart) the series, so hopefully there's some good posting to be had :smugwizard:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I put a link to it in the thread, but if anyone’s getting started with the series and feeling a bit overwhelmed by the density/ornamentation in the prose, this might help. I think I was using a different set of chapter summaries when I was reading the first book a couple years back, but either way, it helps clarify a lot of things that, to me at least, weren’t self-evident on a first pass. Really cool series and really cool author.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

WarpDogs posted:

I created a thread for the Wars of Light and Shadow series: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030263

With the final book on the horizon it's the perfect time to start (or restart) the series, so hopefully there's some good posting to be had :smugwizard:

Yeeeees, you legend, thank you for doing the needful.

I fully plan to binge the rest of Destiny's Conflict today, after which I do not know what I'll read. I doubt I'll be in the mood for anything super dense or mentally taxing to read so I guess Orconomics might be fun?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've been in one of those ruts where you just can't find anything you like, bouncing off even well-written, well-plotted stuff, so I was surprised at how hard Library of Mount Char grabbed me. Fantastic scope, outstanding characters and dialogue, intricate and elegant plotting, I could go on forever. What a unique book!

Anyway, I need 100 recommendations for books exactly like it. I can't believe this dude has written one fiction book almost 10 years ago, what's he doing with himself

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
There are no books like it.

I emailed with him a few times and he just has had a super rough time. poo poo sucks.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Yeah it’s a mix of a lot of different influences blended together in an unusual way. If you liked the warring gods aspect you could try lord of light, which is also extremely well written.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Read Kraken, I guess.

Edit: The most Char-esque fiction I can point to is web fiction. A few SCP entries, primarily Tufto's SCP-001. The 9MOTHER9HORSE9EYES9 saga also captivated me.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 22, 2023

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The King Must Die (Theseus #1) by Mary Renault - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6UO/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pradmer posted:

The King Must Die (Theseus #1) by Mary Renault - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6UO/

This will probably be a Book of the Month soon, so it'd be a good one to grab now if you're on the fence.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

General Battuta posted:

There are no books like it.

I emailed with him a few times and he just has had a super rough time. poo poo sucks.

Genuine question: are there any modern authors who haven’t had a super rough time? It seem like the more I learn about the publishing process, the more I see that authors are uniquely overworked/underpaid/neglected/poo poo-on, even by the standards of the entertainment industry in general.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pynchon and McCarthy

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nae posted:

Genuine question: are there any modern authors who haven’t had a super rough time? It seem like the more I learn about the publishing process, the more I see that authors are uniquely overworked/underpaid/neglected/poo poo-on, even by the standards of the entertainment industry in general.

Ada Palmer seemed to be really excited to get published, but she also has a bunch of health issues that make it super hard to write.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

I specifically thought "that reminded me of The Library at Mount Char" after finishing qntm's There Is No Antimemetics Division a few weeks ago.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Prolonged Panorama posted:

I specifically thought "that reminded me of The Library at Mount Char" after finishing qntm's There Is No Antimemetics Division a few weeks ago.

I feel like qntm’s stuff in general is a good follow-up to Char, but damned if I can put my finger on why.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

zoux posted:

I've been in one of those ruts where you just can't find anything you like, bouncing off even well-written, well-plotted stuff, so I was surprised at how hard Library of Mount Char grabbed me. Fantastic scope, outstanding characters and dialogue, intricate and elegant plotting, I could go on forever. What a unique book!

Anyway, I need 100 recommendations for books exactly like it. I can't believe this dude has written one fiction book almost 10 years ago, what's he doing with himself

Gaiman's Sandman, a little bit.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

General Battuta posted:

Ada Palmer seemed to be really excited to get published, but she also has a bunch of health issues that make it super hard to write.
Severe health issues, several novels, Campbell award, authored and and coauthored major academic books in her field, and got tenure at loving U of C.

Meanwhile I’m trying to figure out how Spotify knew to offer me Nona the Ninth as an audio book when I’ve never purchased an audio book in my life, much less from them.

I am such a loving slacker.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Remulak posted:

Severe health issues, several novels, Campbell award, authored and and coauthored major academic books in her field, and got tenure at loving U of C.

Meanwhile I’m trying to figure out how Spotify knew to offer me Nona the Ninth as an audio book when I’ve never purchased an audio book in my life, much less from them.

I am such a loving slacker.

You are not a slacker, nor a failure. Comparing your successes to others is just one fast way to stress for no benefit.