Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HS10:

Cure of the Week: Star (seems they really are just going backwards through the leads at this point)

That was a nice little breather episode that reminded me a bit of KiraKira/Delicious Party (but in a good way), decent fight this week as well and they finally updated the OP to include Ageha and human Tsubasa

There were some good interactions between Mashiro and Tsubasa this time around too and the scene where the gang just ignored Kabaton to carry on their conversation was funny

Next Time: The Birds & The Butterflies

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I lowkey love how Kabaton gets absolutely no respect from the leads. It's not that he's harmless or that they're overlooking him or ignoring him, it's that the characters treat him like he's a complete pest and it is absolutely hilarious. I was honestly half expecting Kabaton to deflate and let them talk for a little longer, but he powered through.

Honestly it reminded me of the time Doctor Traum attacked a maternity ward in Huggto and they told him off for making a robot monster that was too loud. Actually in both cases what how the villain reacted did reflect their character quite well.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They immediately put Tsubasa (more) into the OP so this is already a top-tier season. Prism's transformation is still pretty static...almost conspicuously so, next to Wing and Sky's.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 9, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HS11: Ok, I already love Tsubasa and Ageha’s dynamic and look forward to seeing it grow once the latter finally becomes a Cure herself. Seems like Kabaton’s days might be numbered at this point but I’ll believe it when I see it

Also Ageha apparently calls her car “Piyo” and the variant of the opening she sang at the start was fun. Tsubasa gets to finish off a Ranborg for the first time as well

We continue going backwards through the leads as Yell introduces this week’s ED (sort of makes me wonder what the point of that poll they put out early on was then)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 16, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Not a big fan of this episode for entirely personal reasons. I do enjoy the previews for next week's, though. That squirrel looks great.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems Kabaton survived the most recent episode but we’ll apparently be getting a new villain soon regardless:

Their name is Battamonda it seems

Decent episode though with a good fight (we also got Ageha launching a kamehameha during a fantasy sequence) and the group is now officially aware of the Undergu Empire’s existence. Cure Whip plays us out this week

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I very much hope that Kabaton just keeps showing up in the background like a generic NPC.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hellioning posted:

I very much hope that Kabaton just keeps showing up in the background like a generic NPC.

Maybe he and Chill Oden Guy will go into business together

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I love how Sora is basically a shounen protagonist who accidentally wandered into a magical girl anime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Ageha is the loving best and I look forward to her finally joining the front lines (which based on the pattern so far should happen around episode 16)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I want a scene of the cast wistfully wondering what Kabaton is doing while he's the background becoming increasingly frustrated by them ignoring him.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 24, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I hope the oden shop just becomes the hang out of failed generals

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first teaser for the Yes 5 sequel has been released:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1d-u6ahqIdA

For those that can understand Japanese, is there anything of particular note in Nozomi’s dialogue here?

Edit: Crunchyroll translated the whole monologue:

quote:

We are moving into the future. We walk, run, stop, turn back, and sometimes get lost on the path that lies before us, but we choose our path and move forward. To be who we want to be. Toward a better future. There is more than one future, and where we go depends on which path we choose. 'Kibou no Chikara' will start in October 2023.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 27, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Back to the current season, a couple new magazine scans have dropped:

First is a bigger image of Kabaton’s upcoming replacement Battamonda:

Secondly, we finally have a clear picture of Sora’s hero Captain Shalala:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lastly, this is going to be a thing apparently:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-04-28/precure-franchise-gets-1st-stage-play-with-franchise-1st-all-male-cast/.197586

It’s just another stage show so we’ll likely never see it and it probably won’t matter much in the long run but still an interesting concept nonetheless

Personally I like that Toei’s starting to take more risks with the brand and hope this trend continues

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 28, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first poster for All Stars F was recently posted on Twitter and it looks like literally every major Cure is back for this:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cure Echo and Mofurun still lost to the mists of time (producer rights)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Cure Echo and Mofurun still lost to the mists of time (producer rights)

I mean, there’s no guarantee at the moment they WON’T show up either but we’ll see I guess

I’m curious how they’re going to handle 78 (assuming our midseason is around by then) characters though. My guess is the Hirogaru gang will most likely be the main focus alongside a couple veterans ala All Stars Memories

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also we’ve got some new titles:

15: The Great Explosion Of A Super Giant Ranborg!? Protect Sky Land!

16: The Ogre Hunt Of The Erutarou Troupe

17: Pass The Final Baton! Mashiro's All-Out Relay

Seems the pattern of the first 3 Cures was just a coincidence after all and Butterfly will NOT be showing up in episode 16 like I thought, oh well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HS13: A rare combat free episode this week, instead we just get a sweet story about the gang helping out an old woman with a bit of plot development at the very end. Mirai plays us out this time

Next Time: The gang travels to Skyland where they meet Sora’s hero, a new enemy, and what appears to be a redheaded rival to Sora who may or may not be connected to the latter

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 30, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Really liked this episode as it was equal parts funny but also heart warming even if we know Sora/Mashiro will still he together in a few episodes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m curious what’s going to inevitably prompt Sora to return to earth (also Ageha continues to be a good wingwoman by fake screaming in her sleep so Sora and Mashiro had a chance to talk alone), it might have something to do with her hero if the common theory regarding her turns out to be correct

Sora and Mashiro just casually revealing their identities to the old woman was nice as well (though they almost gave her a heart attack in the process)

Honestly at this point considering how late she’s going to appear they really should have just made Butterfly the midseason Cure this year

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 30, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Really liked this episode as it was equal parts funny but also heart warming even if we know Sora/Mashiro will still he together in a few episodes

same
the scene in the cafe was really good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The new baddie actually looks pretty human like despite having the word “grasshopper” in her name (or at least I’m assuming it’s a girl, it could be another effeminate male villain for all we know):

Also apparently all the generals this season will look like punk rockers

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 30, 2023

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Also apparently all the generals this season will look like punk rockers

They're underground Magical Girl villains, you probably haven't heard of them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

They're underground Magical Girl villains, you probably haven't heard of them.

That actually makes a lot of sense (I’m guessing the new general will have a monster form as well if they’re sticking with the animal theme)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

New bad guy is no Kabaton so far. Bring back Kabaton!

Otoh Shalala is pretty great and monster fight was real good. I'm quite liking the arc seems to be going with what it's is to be a hero means what's right to the person

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

New bad guy is no Kabaton so far. Bring back Kabaton!

Otoh Shalala is pretty great and monster fight was real good. I'm quite liking the arc seems to be going with what it's is to be a hero means what's right to the person

The new guy’s a bit more competent at least (even if he’s basically Narcistoru 2.0) and Sora’s new rival seems like she stepped out of a Sunrise anime

Also the new villain is voiced by Kenn (who played Miki’s brother in Fresh as well as the lead character of YGO GX, among many other roles). Contrary to the popular theory, Captain Shalala does not appear to have the same VA as the leader of the Undergu Empire but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

I like that the plot seems to be kicking into high gear now though (now if only Ageha would finally become a Cure)

Edit: Seems like the captain and the Undergu leader are played by two different actresses so I guess Shalala’s legit after all (barring some kind of twist that is). I am curious what’s going to inevitably make Sora return to Earth though given her newfound responsibilities

Also while he’s more humanoid than his predecessor Battamonda does have some elements of his namesake in his design (like the bangs at the front of his hair looking like antennae)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 7, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thinking about it more, Shalala could potentially still be connected to the Undergu Empire after all. Kabaton and Batttamonda got into the kingdom pretty easily after all (the former even getting close enough to the royal family to snatch Elle while the captain was suspiciously absent) and she has a line in this episode that could be interpreted in a number of ways:

“Beryberi has her own idea about what is right. Everyone does”

She might not be the big bad of the series but she could still potentially be a high ranking member of the empire (also she doesn’t exactly have the most trustworthy looking face)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 7, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Reason i think it won't happen is we had that happen in Delicious Party and usually they don't like to repeat plot arcs season to season

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Reason i think it won't happen is we had that happen in Delicious Party and usually they don't like to repeat plot arcs season to season

True, I’m not sure Precure has ever used the same plot point two seasons in a row but if it does turn out to be true I hope they at least handle her better than they did Fennel (though to be fair, DP was apparently written by a newbie to the franchise whereas a good chunk of Hirogaru’s staff are series veterans, some going all the way back to Futari Wa)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tangentially related, some news just dropped recently:

Based on a translation I got from Reddit, Butterfly will debut during the second cour of the show (meaning any time between episodes 18-26)

It also mentions that during that time Sora will go through a major incident that breaks her heart (which might lead credence to the theory of Shalala being involved with the Undergu Empire in some capacity even if she’s not the leader)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HS15: That was a pretty intense episode, not only is Battamonda much more competent than his predecessor (including making a Ranborg that could tank and almost destroy the Precure’s finisher) but Shalala is now MIA (Sora doesn’t seem to have hit her breaking point yet so the captain being dead or working for the enemy is still on the table) and the King and Queen are now afflicted by darkness forcing the gang to retreat back to earth.

We also meet Sora’s parents as well as Tsubasa’s mom (the scene where they mistake Mashiro for Tsubasa’s lover was hilarious) and Megumi takes us out this week.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 14, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Things sure as hell escalated this episode

Sora just forced the general to retreat with pure rage was something. I'm sure Captain is alive somewhere but how this will play out who knows

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Things sure as hell escalated this episode

Sora just forced the general to retreat with pure rage was something. I'm sure Captain is alive somewhere but how this will play out who knows

As I mentioned two posts above, apparently there will be an event during the second cour of the show that will leave Sora heartbroken, and aside from losing her friends pretty much the only thing that could possibly break Sora like that would be seeing her idol shatter in front of her (one way or another).

Either way I’m very interested to see how things play out (and of course to see best girl Ageha finally join the front lines)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm betting Captain ends up with Amnesia and ends up working for Undergaru empire

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Big fan of Tsubasa's parents, especially how they show up in human form just for the 'everyone turns into a bird at once' gag.

I kind of like the artstyle in the Momotaro parody next week? I do enjoy how Ageha made herself the princess needing to be rescued.

My personal favorite moment was how they made sure to show how much reading Shalala's last message made Sora cry. Even if she seems fine to her friends and a standard plucky Shounen (Shoujo, I guess) hero, she still gets afraid and sad sometimes, and I like how the show makes sure to show that.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 14, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I take back my earlier thought about Shalala being an agent of the Undergu Empire (which was primarily based on the fact she was conveniently absent when Elle was kidnapped, the fact that Kabaton managed to get close enough to do the job in the first place, some of her mannerisms in her official debut episode and the whole “Everyone has their own idea about what is right” comment) but her being turned into one via possession/brainwashing/amnesia is still on the table

After all, nobody’s dead until you see a body (and sometimes not even then)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It has big Geese Howard falling of his tower in Fatal Fury vibes!

And yeah Sora being able to show a range of emotions is great. It's avoiding the trap Toei hero shows/anime sometimes can fall into where the plucky hero just has 1 emotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Sora just forced the general to retreat with pure rage was something.

they dont show her face during the scene, just the lower half after battamonda battamon-mons away and sora starts loosening up
it could just be a stylistic choice but its something to keep an eye at