Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mechanical heart. Mei's been getting into nanotechnology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
all might's a guy so he'll be fine

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CharlestonJew posted:

all might's a guy so he'll be fine

So was Twice. :911:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i stopped reading threads and discourse on this series ages ago as it entered the endgame, but this chapter made me remember how good horikoshi can be at this

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I swear to GOD.

They kill off All Might I'm going to be pissed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Official's out.
#386. I Am Here
Viz: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-386/chapter/38025?action=read
M+: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015938

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Diabetic posted:

I swear to GOD.

If you strike me down AFO I will become an even more powerful Force Ghost and USASmarsh you into the stygian abyss of the Quirkghost Council..

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi is a really good artist but that's also why he's falling to pieces after 7+ years of serialization. A conundrum.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Horikoshi is a really good artist but that's also why he's falling to pieces after 7+ years of serialization. A conundrum.

Biweekly scheduling at a minimum and also hire a writer so you're not pulling double duty.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The highlights and set pieces that were planned out are good, but the connective tissue that should weave them together is not well planned and suffers greatly as a result.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Diabetic posted:

I swear to GOD.

He'll walk away just before landing a killing blow because Mineta's balls distract him again.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
just remembered mirio distracted shigaraki at a critical moment by showing his rear end

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It'll turn out that All Might was lying about being quirkless, and the "becoming a big swole guy" thing was actually his quirk, and Deku will get it after he dies, allowing him to become big and swole as well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kanos posted:

Biweekly scheduling at a minimum and also hire a writer so you're not pulling double duty.

Weekly Shonen Jump also just doesn't seem to be making series run as long as they used to. MHA and Black Clover feel like the last guard of this kind of series, and even those are gonna end up only about half as long as Naruto or Bleach.

One Piece is eternal

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

That strikes me as being something most mangaka would find an unacceptable option. It means the manga isn't your story any more. It's just a product you're putting your name on.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

That strikes me as being something most mangaka would find an unacceptable option. It means the manga isn't your story any more. It's just a product you're putting your name on.

I dunno, it worked extremely well for stuff like Dr. Stone and Kengan Ashura.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

chiasaur11 posted:

Ok, hire an artist then

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah writer-artist mangaka duos exist

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Runa posted:

Yeah writer-artist mangaka duos exist

Yep, and many of them produce quite good work. But they still produce different work from the same people working solo.

If Horikoshi started the series as a collaboration, that'd be one thing. But this late in, it'd be something quite different.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
A lot of big name series generally also have art assistants that are trained by the main author to be able to fill in for background stuff and touch-ups in their style, to lessen the strain on them, from what I understand.

The one exception to this that I'm aware of is Eiichiro Oda, who does everything himself.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oda has assistants, he just doesn't rely on them and does everything "that moves" in a panel himself

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bleck posted:

A lot of big name series generally also have art assistants that are trained by the main author to be able to fill in for background stuff and touch-ups in their style, to lessen the strain on them, from what I understand.

The one exception to this that I'm aware of is Eiichiro Oda, who does everything himself.

Apparently, Choujin X is a Sui Isida solo project, for current manga. That's part of why it's so irregular. He does the whole thing by himself, and it comes out when it's ready.

Oda does have assistants, from what I understand. He just insists on doing all the characters and effects himself. So, he does a ton of stuff himself, but he still spreads out the workload a bit to keep from breaking his back or needing more breaks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CharlestonJew posted:

just remembered mirio distracted shigaraki at a critical moment by showing his rear end

I hope that exact moment is what Nighteye saw before he died.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I read Mirio there as Mirko and I would have been distracted too

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

???

1. The artist can still collaborate and contribute ideas, Murata does that with ONE regularly
2. Find me a person alive who would say Dr. Stone or Shokugeki no Soma were just products their artists were putting their name on

Like if nothing else Hori needs a biweekly schedule and a proper loving editor at least

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, I think everyone at the mag could use a biweekly schedule. Weekly mangaka ain't no way to be healthy.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah I just hope that he can learn from his mistakes and do better. And more importantly not die or suffer life long injuries from working the Shonen jump grind.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, I think everyone at the mag could use a biweekly schedule. Weekly mangaka ain't no way to be healthy.

The editor was more the part I wanted to emphasize, the Earthchild/Red Hood editor did a poo poo job during his tenure and Hori needs one badly

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
This chapter is actually good, and it is because it is fleshing out a long established narrative point.

I was worried that All Might somehow acquired the same drug as All for One, but I like the approach to keep him quirkless.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm extremely glad All Might didn't get rewound back to his prime offscreen and I hope that stays consistent. It really does continue to serve to highlight the main difference between his and AFO's roles as mentors to their respective students.

Ironically, the result of how things have panned out has caused me to find All Might more compelling of a character than Deku himself, while I wish AFO would gently caress off and let Shigaraki actually have some time to grow.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't keep up with MHA much, it feels like it has way more misses than hits. But when it hits, oh man. Anyway this chapter was amazing

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm extremely glad All Might didn't get rewound back to his prime offscreen and I hope that stays consistent. It really does continue to serve to highlight the main difference between his and AFO's roles as mentors to their respective students.

Ironically, the result of how things have panned out has caused me to find All Might more compelling of a character than Deku himself, while I wish AFO would gently caress off and let Shigaraki actually have some time to grow.

All Might has literally always been a more compelling character than Deku, because Deku fundamentally has absolutely no substance beyond "very nice boy who is suicidally self-sacrificing and loves heroes and heroics". I don't hate Deku or anything but he's a very bland main character and has had almost no room for any meaningful growth in the manga's entire run time besides a constant flip-flopping arc of "maybe i shouldn't try to do everything myself and blow myself up to be heroic, except for the all the times where i have to and i do it anyway and everything turns out well".

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

AFO is gonna break All Might's power armor and AFO is gonna gloat over him until All Might reveals Eri not only learned to control her quirk but can now use it at range. Queue All Might rewinding to his prime.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Poops Mcgoots posted:

AFO is gonna break All Might's power armor and AFO is gonna gloat over him until All Might reveals Eri not only learned to control her quirk but can now use it at range. Queue All Might rewinding to his prime.

Nah, Stain will show up to do some last minute hero poo poo and fight along side all might and then the fight resolves off screen and we'll cut back to AFO chumping more heroes and bragging about how there's only five more minutes until namek explodes

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

funny how much better this manga works when the big moments line up with actual character arcs and aren't just about the b-team getting their poo poo in during this interminable battle royal. Iida and Todoroki's moment here is genuinely good, even if the setup to get Dabi here was abject nonsense.

In a different series I might think the rest of this was building towards some kind of "support gear is finally nearing the level of people with actual quirks, and now anyone CAN be a hero" point, but I gotta figure that's not the case here. Feel like wherever it does end up going will be very telling for what the ending is shooting for thematically (personally I assume on a plot level All Might puts up a good fight but gets pasted, Stain shows up to save his life briefly right when AFO is about to take him out, then Bakugo shows up to actually defeat toddler AFO, finally redeeming himself for causing All Might's defeat way back when, while Deku wraps the series up).

Are we finally down to Dabi/Toga/AFO/Shigaraki as the last remaining issues on the table?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's still the battle with the assassin and Aoyama/fatgum/etc that I wholly expect to be off paneled at this point. Sero was supposed to get a big cool hero moment too as per Hori like two years ago but I dunno if we'll get to that.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kurogiri also teleported away with Eraserhead and Presant Mic, so that plotline is still up in the air.

I'm also expecting them to give Momo one last moment where one of her plans actually gets to succeed without countless casualties.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just want to say, I started watching the anime again after dropping at the end of season 1. I use to think this show was massively overrated, I still think season 1 was weak. Bakugo was ultra annoying and Deku was not only weak but a deteriment most of the time but this series gets quite good after. Not sure how the later arcs are but currently at Shie Hassikai and its been consistently good after season 1.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The pacing of Season 1 was dreadful. I remember binging it, shouting "It's called My Hero Academia, and we're 4 episodes in and he's still not in the drat academy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I'm also expecting them to give Momo one last moment where one of her plans actually gets to succeed without countless casualties.

But that's her trademark!