Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Neither one of them were interested in Denji as a person. Makima implicitly promised an underage boy sex as part of a sinister plan. Himeno explicitly offered an underage boy sex while drunk as a skunk. My take is her "get to Aki through Denji" plan (such as it was) was formed the next morning. Regardless, one wants Chainsawman and the other wants Aki. And let's be real here, if "Put your hand on my tit while I nibble your finger" Makima's path to apotheosis was best served by boning Denji she would have. Comic is filled to bursting with "bad" people that are great characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

WELL DONE!

God drat that is perfect.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

No Wave posted:

Didnt she not know Denji's age? And she felt really bad about it once she was no longer puking in peoples' mouths. I had no idea she's controversial btw she seems written to be super likable including a cool eyepatch.

She didn't know Denji was a teenager until the party, and it's likely she didn't remember during the night, because she was incredibly drunk.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

No Wave posted:

Didnt she not know Denji's age? And she felt really bad about it once she was no longer puking in peoples' mouths. I had no idea she's controversial btw she seems written to be super likable including a cool eyepatch.

oh yes she's quite likable, and simultaneously a hosed up burnout who gets blind drunk and tries to get it on with a teenager. it all ties up very well with the job having consumed any normal life or connections with other people for her

unfortunately the most common comic reader is a functionally illiterate teenager (in an emotional sense if not a literal one) who's fatally poisoned by internet fandom culture so this case of mild emotional complexity gets thrown in the same bucket as any old sleazy 'hot for teacher' kind of crap and related to as though the character is a real person who personally wronged them, and kicked a puppy too

e: or, I should say, vomited in a puppy's mouth

Assessor of Maat fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 21, 2023

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

GloomMouse posted:

Comic is filled to bursting with "bad" people that are great characters
A very important distinction. Some of the best characters in all of literature are complete degenerates.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

You might even say that some characters have a little devil in them

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Alexander Solzhenitsyn said, "The line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts," but he neglected to add that this line was cut...

...with a chainsaw.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ImpAtom posted:

I mean people liked Makima and she did the exact same poo poo but more manipulative.

Makima's also the villain.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
If there's a death devil is there a Birth devil. If so i hope we don't see it

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Childbirth is a uniquely scary time for some people, you better believe there's a Birth Devil and no, you do not want to see it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Birth devil, who is cousins with Hell Devil

Hell Devil is IMO the weakest of Fujimoto’s designs, even worse than any of the scrub tier devils. There’s such a clear line between it and the Alien that it feels like he didn’t put any effort into it

On the other hand, when Hell Devil is nothing but a disembodied hand crossing a line of ants, that is primo devil design

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 22, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Assessor of Maat posted:

oh yes she's quite likable, and simultaneously a hosed up burnout who gets blind drunk and tries to get it on with a teenager. it all ties up very well with the job having consumed any normal life or connections with other people for her

unfortunately the most common comic reader is a functionally illiterate teenager (in an emotional sense if not a literal one) who's fatally poisoned by internet fandom culture so this case of mild emotional complexity gets thrown in the same bucket as any old sleazy 'hot for teacher' kind of crap and related to as though the character is a real person who personally wronged them, and kicked a puppy too

e: or, I should say, vomited in a puppy's mouth

Yeah, the big difference with a piece of fiction is that you have an honest view of a character's heart. We know Himeno wasn't malicious in her motivations; she was blackout drunk, and then relieved nothing had happened once she had her senses back. We know Aki beating the poo poo out of Denji is an attempt to scare him away from a path of certain death. We know Denji and Power sleeping and bathing together has zero sexual motive. We know Makima giving Denji a loving lollipop is entrenched in emotional manipulation.

In real life, we'd be right to suspect the opposite out of each of these scenarios because hell, Occam's Razor. But given that we can see inside her head, I'd still be pretty sympathetic to Himeno even the genders were reversed. Drunk or sober, she was making a terrible choice. What I can appreciate is that when Denji told her to stop, she stopped.

Sexual consent is refreshingly important in a manga this horny.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
After watching Oshi no Ko's first episode I had a thought, "Man, wouldn't it be wild if they did a super long episode like that for the Gun Devil arc?" Hell of a way to end the season.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Makima's also the villain.

People spent almost the entirety of the first part's runtime arguing she wasn't.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw1fy7VF_w8&t=58s

Did the animators know

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Since the anime started well after part 1 finished, yes, I imagine they did. In fact one of the criticisms of the anime people had is that it made Makima being evil 'too obvious'. (I disagree but y'know.)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

They're making a Falling Devil reference

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Mraagvpeine posted:

After watching Oshi no Ko's first episode I had a thought, "Man, wouldn't it be wild if they did a super long episode like that for the Gun Devil arc?" Hell of a way to end the season.

they should do it for the family burger arc instead and add 50 minutes of bonus kobeni date + suffering content

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scholtz posted:

They're making a Falling Devil reference

Oh. Well, I have hoisted by the Mild Embarrassment Devil so I'll see you all in hell.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
if they do an extra long episode it should be denji & makima's movie date and it should show the two of them mst3k style riffing through the entirety of (checks 1997 movie releases) Alien: Resurrection

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone read the second set of Before Chainsawman that came out recently? I read the first two, enjoyed that his idea of a “normal” story was still kinda weird. Also the ultimately pro-trans aspect of the second story.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is it possible this inspired Falling Devil?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
falling up is a pretty common image, i'm willing to say it's coincidence

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

How far in would season 2 get?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

My expectations for s2 are Bomb Devil and International Assassins, leaving Gun Devil and Control Devil for s3.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Joke Miriam posted:

they could do Bomb and International Assassins as there's a bit of a lull just before Gun Devil kicks off

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Gun Devil -> eating makima should be a movie

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Joke Miriam posted:

It could end with "i used to come here every year and feel miserable but you loving morons are so annoying i didn't even have time to feel sad" which would be :discourse: but they might need to compress things a little to get there

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Jerkface posted:

Gun Devil -> eating makima should be a movie

you know doing Bomb -> Assassins then finale being a movie would be a good finish. the last two arcs are fairly compressed. also means big budget gun devil

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

you know doing Bomb -> Assassins then finale being a movie would be a good finish. the last two arcs are fairly compressed. also means big budget gun devil

I also think the fight with the hybrids would lend itself really well to a movie screen. Assassins is great and the doll fight is sick, but I think it could be done really well in normal TV. The movie though could go real big on makima deathsquad, hell devil, gun devil, and all the hybrids

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Joke Miriam posted:

Depends if it's one cour or two. Two cour could clear out everything easily.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Has there been any word on when season 2 will be released? Is it in production?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/HeGotGronch/status/1650694085207019522?t=bvZYI-B11xKYtNYy_uiy9Q&s=19

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

That’s some Geof Darrow level of detail

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

That’s some Geof Darrow level of detail

James Stokoe's art has always been really detailed. If you read Godzilla: Half Century War, that's his.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Very worth to check out his comic orc stain as well, it's the chainsaw man of orc comics

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/realyoutubekids/status/1650664671458762755?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

https://twitter.com/shieldberto/status/1650680674737876993?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ok thanks

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

WTF…. Looks like I’m on that weird part of the internet again…. O_o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah, chainsaw man, very cool. What if I gave chainsaw man a laser powered chainsaw and kobeni's car was a cyber truck?