Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

we always had a beer or drink or two at former company off-site lunches, and wine and beer was always served at any company functions (and a separate weekly friday afternoon beer'o'clock event staffed by employee bartenders), but i also live in ~wine country~ so booze is nbd.

however i grew up in dry counties in the bible belt, so i am terminally uncomfortable with public drinking. i wasn't forced to have a beer or anything, but i kinda avoided going to events because it felt like drinking was compulsory lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Gnossiennes posted:

I kinda avoided going to events because it felt like drinking was compulsory lol
I get it. There is an enormous difference between people who are motivated by free drinking and everyone else. They all understand each other and can’t fathom why anyone wouldn’t drink. It can make me feel ridiculous not participating.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

EricBauman posted:

what im saying is humans should be like apis and just respond with 200 without any other formulations needed

okay point taken but realistically half the APIs you encounter are gonna 500 if you so much as provide the wrong case in a header value, and the other half are gonna 200 with a body of "CRITICAL ERROR CONTACT SUPPORT IMMEDIATELY" (hello salesforce)

they are, after all, designed and constructed by humans, and maintain all their faults

they just do so in a slightly more consistent fashion

edit after catching up on thread:

i was amused at how cloudflare had friday beer meetings where, at some point well into my tenure, the CEO said "we decided to make BEER a meaningless acronym early on because we didn't want to exclude anyone that didn't drink"

this was arguably a good stance, especially given that there was a decent-size cohort of south asian muslims on staff due to the company's choice of major office locations

the american offices had a reliable cohort of people who either skipped the BEER meetings entirely or promptly left to the auxiliary "drink whiskey and complain about bullshit" ad-hoc meeting that happened at essentially the same time

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 23, 2023

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Pulcinella posted:

Turns out Humane’s (Hardware start up with a bunch of ex-Apple people) revolutionary new device is…a projector in your pocket. So instead of holding your phone in your hand you can hold a projector in your pocket and nothing in you hand. You still need to hold up your hand as if you are holding a phone so it has something to project onto. Probably also doesn’t work very well outside.

wasn't this posted before

I guess it was just concept art so good job implementing your stupid idea

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

wait until they find an old Sharper Image with the laser keyboard, they're going to lose their loving minds :woop:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
alternatively,

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

mediaphage posted:

highly variable ime

like obviously lots of the us is puritannical but i personally have never gotten shade for having a beer (though i stick to low abvs) in a lunch sitch before.

i don't make a huge habit of it though, i personally don't really like boozy work environments - not because i care if someone has a beer now and then but because it almost inevitably ends up getting someone sloshed that really shouldnt be

gonna keep reposting this

quote:

I started a new job last month. At my previous employer, they were very lax and laid back. They had work sponsored beer Fridays at the end of every week, and they served beer at the work cafeteria, with a limit of one per person during the work day. That being said, I usually drank a Busch Light or an IPA every day with my lunch for the past 2.5 years.

During the interview process at my new job, they asked me what I liked about my [then] current employer, and I mentioned that they were very lax and the interviewer said "Not to brag, but we're known for having a very lax culture here as well. I would bet we're more laid back than your current employer". This was a relief to hear. I'll skip past the boring parts, but after a few more interviews at this place, I got an offer and took a job.

Upon accepting the position, I was mailed a onboarding packet with the employee handbook. I read the handbook from front to back and didn't see anything about a no alcohol policy in the book. This along with the mention of a "very lax work culture" had me thinking not many things would change from a culture standpoint from my old job to my new one.

The first few weeks was a lot of training and the training usually ran over lunch, so they would provide us with a variety of sandwich options/pizza that were catered, as well as drink options (waters, sodas, juice, tea, coffee, etc.) so I would just help myself to whatever they provided. Later in the month, my boss scheduled a lunch at a restaurant with our vendor to introduce me to them and explain my new role, and at this lunch my boss was the first person to order a beer, and the rest of us followed suit. This was another good sign.

Fast forward to last week, training was over and I was starting to settle into a routine and working more on my day to day tasks. That being said, I packed my own lunch, and included in my lunch was a Busch Light. I ate the first few lunches at my desk, undisturbed by anyone else. I didn't think anything of it. Eventually I was invited to eat lunch at the lunchroom upstairs, so I joined some colleagues upstairs for lunch. I unpacked my lunch and cracked open my Busch Light. Immediately I could sense a "What the hell is this guy thinking" vibe from my colleagues, but no one said anything. I brushed it off. Later that day HR stopped by along with my boss and called me into the HR office. They said what I did was unacceptable and that "I'm lucky I'm not getting fired for that type of behavior." I mentioned the vendor lunch and my boss shot me daggers. We ended the meeting with an agreement that I would refrain from drinking alcohol on the job again.

The next day, my boss chewed me out for "throwing him under the bus" and asked me "what the hell I was thinking". I don't get the big deal, no grown adult gets drunk or even buzzed off one single beer with lunch. I was following his lead and thought it was acceptable! So much for "lax".

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

at a previous job we had a group that would do board games occasionally after work with some beers, or hang out on the patio (it was a really nice downtown 4th floor patio) with some beers and/or wine.

one of the few things i actually miss now that i work from home

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

we used to go for beers on a Friday lunchtime years back but that's kind of died out now, except christmas anyway. that used to be a "go for lunch and don't come back" absolute rager.

otoh evenings are fair game and we have a bar upstairs one night a week. gonna miss that when I leave, though seeing as I'll be working literally across the road I can probably get signed back in now and again

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

in a well actually posted:

gonna keep reposting this

just completely insane

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/d_feldman/status/1649466422018318338

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol if your ever sober at work

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

lol if your ever at work

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

fart simpson posted:

lol if your ever sober

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
whoops, double post

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

harder better faster stronger but at work I'm never sober

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

BMan posted:

It definitely feels like something I have already seen a million times in generic sci-fi settings. And it also basically only works in sci-do. Something that could actually project real 3D holograms into empty space but is also somehow tactile would be incredibly useful. But it basically only works if you can 100% do the fantastical sci-fi concept, somehow. Combining a pico-projector with a pager isn’t it.

“Welcome to our home! This is the wall we intentionally keep blank so the family can all stare at it while we project our phone screens onto it. I wanted to hang the one picture anyone in my family has of my great grandmother, but we needed the flat surface.”

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BMan posted:

I posted something about it not long ago, but this is the first public demo of the gizmo

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Ruffian Price posted:

lmao

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

lol if your ever sober at work

lol if you're ever hungover on your own time and not your boss's

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Ruffian Price posted:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Pulcinella posted:

“Welcome to our home! This is the wall we intentionally keep blank so the family can all stare at it while we project our phone screens onto it. I wanted to hang the one picture anyone in my family has of my great grandmother, but we needed the flat surface.”

downsample great grandma to 64x64 pixels and project her on the wall, too

prompt chatgpt with a handful of random facts about great grandma and you could have a tiny pixelated ghost flitting from surface to surface and endlessly spouting nonsense; it basically sells itself

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in the sprawl trilogy the yakuza boss has ai versions of his predecessors in little urns and now multiple people are trying to make that a real thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the finn ends up as a rom construct that eventually demands they destroy it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

dumb dudes all worried about being eternally tortured by ai when there's humans trying to do it today

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

maybe the real torment nexus was the colleagues we met along the way

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

infernal machines posted:

the finn ends up as a rom construct that eventually demands they destroy it

the finn owns

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

maybe the real torment nexus was the colleagues we met along the way

buddy don't even get me started

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

maybe the real torment nexus was the posters we met along the way

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/04/google-puts-10-to-30-year-campus-construction-project-on-hold-after-2-years/

another one for the google graveyard

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Last time I checked and saw that this was still in progress I was kinda surprised tbh

Hopefully they don't just sit on the land waiting for it to appreciate (or 'figure out what to do with it at some point'). What a waste of land right by Diridon Station

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lmao. i'm so loving glad we got sidewalk to gently caress off by obstructing development with unreasonable demands like "you need permits for development" and "no we will not give you tax revenue"

those loving dipshits might have gotten as far as grading the land before losing interest

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the actual google graveyard

someone should sneak in and place a lot of tombstones

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

haveblue posted:

the actual google graveyard

someone should sneak in and place a lot of tombstones

https://i.imgur.com/jJmu2mV.mp4

it should be similar to this

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
holy gently caress that place is cheap. living next to a graveyard would own too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

nightlife is pretty dead