Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I’m with Denis on this. Unless a film is absolutely butchered in editing, one cut is ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

Directors should constantly re-edit and special edition and director's cut and otherwise screw with their stuff to see if they can make other cool poo poo with it. The original is still there for us to enjoy, why not get some new cuts that gives the rest of us new lenses into pieces of art we love?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think the issue is the movie was already very long and if you gave the banquet you need to include the suk conditioning and the whole subplot about who the traitor is. I get how that's a big part of the story and important in a lot of ways but I think it's a very elegant way to trim the story down.

Maybe some day when Villeneuve is done with releasing however many dunes he wants to do he'll turn around and see if he can re-edit them as a single 10 hour miniseries or whatever. I'm not counting on it, but I'd love to see it some day.

Yeah, the entire traitor chase was always something of a weak point in the book. It makes for a decent intrigue for a while but ultimately relies on a fairly huge contrivance. Cutting it out was probably for the best, and removing anything to do with Suk conditioning was a good call as well. In a way it works in the movie's favour: The Atreides' fall is no longer predicated on a grand nigh-impossible feat of subversion, but just plain regular old betrayal. If it hadn't been Yueh, it would've been somebody else. It reinforces the idea that Leto's plan was always a one-in-a-million shot, and its failure nearly inevitable.

That said, I sure would have liked to see this production's interpretation of the greenhouse.

69 Body Problem
Apr 3, 2023

by vyelkin

the only problem with Lucas is that he keeps trying to destroy original copies of the OT

I'm assuming Disney has them under lock and key now?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's a copy of the original theatrical release of Star Wars at the Library of Congress.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AnEdgelord posted:

Just have a bunch of hazy dreamlike images of writhing bodies and moaning faces intercut with spice consumption and plot stuff

Yeah the sci-fi channel mini-series did this and even had nudity so what's the problem here.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I demand nude fremen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Buncha Sam Loscos running around in briefs with the fly open

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Baron von Eevl posted:

___/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

69 Body Problem
Apr 3, 2023

by vyelkin
I have this mental image of a montage of random Fremen thrusting fading in and out and body fluids flying through the air while the "Riples in the Sand" theme from the score to Part One plays

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

69 Body Problem posted:

I have this mental image of a montage of random Fremen thrusting fading in and out and body fluids flying through the air while the "RiplesNipples in the Sand" theme from the score to Part One plays

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's a copy of the original theatrical release of Star Wars at the Library of Congress.

Didn't Lucas try to submit copies of the Special Edition initially?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Wongkarwai.jpg

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

69 Body Problem posted:

the only problem with Lucas is that he keeps trying to destroy original copies of the OT

I'm assuming Disney has them under lock and key now?

Nope. It will never be released ever legally.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Regardless of the fact that Disney will probably never release them, the scuttlebutt is that they were never given copies as part of the sale. Like, Lucas didn't have it archived.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Disney has owned Star Wars for over a decade, it's gonna happen any day now, I can feel it in my bones!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Nope. It will never be released ever legally.

I have a late VHS release of them that I guard with my life.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean you can go to any thrift store and find vhs copies so I wouldn’t worry about that lol

69 Body Problem
Apr 3, 2023

by vyelkin

CelticPredator posted:

I mean you can go to any thrift store and find vhs copies so I wouldn’t worry about that lol

VHS tape degrades eventually

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A rip of a laser disk is gonna be better than a VHS though. You can find those easily enough.

Anyway, Part II’s trailer was shown at cinemacon. So hopefully the marketing is gonna kick off soon.

Denis had some words to go along with the trailer. He said they shot the entire thing in IMAX format (as opposed to the first film shooting about 40% on IMAX) and contrasts its style with the first film. While the first film was "more contemplative," the second one is an action-packed war movie that is far "more dense."

Specific stuff shown in the trailer (Spoilers just for the trailer): Austin Butler gets a fair bit of screen time, having the same shaven head and ash skin as the other Harkonnen. The trailer centers largely on Paul's first worm-ride as well as the buildup to his final battle with Feyd. We also see Irulan very briefly.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 26, 2023

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

as I understand the story from the featurettes released with the original 97SE, Lucasfilm hasn't released a scan of the original star wars masters because the ones they had literally do not exist anymore, they were heavily damaged from age and california storage and what little they had left got destructively cannibalized for the special editions. There are probably other masters out there or first run prints, but all the ones lucasfilm had are gone and Lucas personally had no interest in acquiring and restoring another copy.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

as I understand the story from the featurettes released with the original 97SE, Lucasfilm hasn't released a scan of the original star wars masters because the ones they had literally do not exist anymore, they were heavily damaged from age and california storage and what little they had left got destructively cannibalized for the special editions. There are probably other masters out there or first run prints, but all the ones lucasfilm had are gone and Lucas personally had no interest in acquiring and restoring another copy.

Enough prints exist in decent enough quality that well-funded fans have done serviceable restoration projects. Disney, if motivated, could certainly do the same at a higher quality. That's how many classic film restorations are handled, scouring the world for prints in good condition, scanning the best from each print, then digitally restoring them. Keeping archival copies of films wasn't something that was done until relatively recently.

I don't think they are really interested though. I think the potential sales would be quite limited, given how much it would cost. Even when a series has a very broad appeal, physical media just doesn't sell nearly as much as it used to, and an original restoration of SW would mostly only sell to a niche of older die-hard fans. A restoration also isn't something likely to sell subscriptions.

It would also be a bit tough to choose just which version to release, as there were a lot more iterations than most people realize, even before the Special Editions. There were even a few changes done before it ever landed on VHS, and most people grew up with the THX editions which had even more minor revisions.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Even the first theatrical run and the first re-release in the early 80s had changes, most notably the title of the film.

There's an article I read a few years ago from someone who watched the library of congress' print, noting what differences they could catch while sitting effectively in a cubicle in a library. The Lucasfilm logo was just green sans-serif text on black.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think people get pedantic in the argument but really I think everyone just wants a nice legal Blu ray copy we can buy at any store that’s any version before 1997.

I don’t care if it’s the 77 version, 80s version, 1995, don’t care! Just not the SE. although I’ve succumbed to it and got the trilogy 4k for 10 bucks each so whatever.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

69 Body Problem posted:

VHS tape everything degrades eventually

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Specific stuff shown in the trailer (Spoilers just for the trailer): Austin Butler gets a fair bit of screen time, having the same shaven head and ash skin as the other Harkonnen. The trailer centers largely on Paul's first worm-ride as well as the buildup to his final battle with Feyd. We also see Irulan very briefly.

pretty much exactly what I expected. sounds p sweet op

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Chalamet was also at the event talking the film up. Said the worm ride was a "completely practical" effect built on location. Can't wait to see how it looks, Variety's writeup says the sequence is visually stunning.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Great Type O Negative song, btw.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bugblatter posted:

Chalamet was also at the event talking the film up. Said the worm ride was a "completely practical" effect built on location. Can't wait to see how it looks, Variety's writeup says the sequence is visually stunning.

Nolan: I recreated the first atomic bomb blast because special effects weren't enough.

Dennis: BIG WORM!!! :haw:

69 Body Problem
Apr 3, 2023

by vyelkin
Just got word from a random youtuber that the teaser trailer will premiere before Gardians Vol 3 on May 5, and it will also be released one week earlier online, which corresponds to LESS THAN 48 HOURS FROM NOW

Full trailer will be shown either before Indiana Jones and the Catheter of Destiny or The Flash, but most likely The Flash.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Part 2 is coming, and before it's changed, I just want to be on record saying 'suks to be Yueh' is the best thread sub-title I've seen on my 20+ years on these dead forums.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You're welcome

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Yeah it owns, be proud

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It is an absolute rock solid pun.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/1651573184649412608?t=3xYW_uP-C7S1NkAnxtj6dw&s=19

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1651580098565292034
My beef is swollen.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1651572030217629700?t=k0CpFkD8_Rs5gCsKWAyKLA&s=19
And Bald Elvis.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 27, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Seriously getting Shinzon of Remus vibes.

69 Body Problem
Apr 3, 2023

by vyelkin
I thought Feyd was supposed to be super good-looking or whatever? Looks like Shinzon lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

69 Body Problem posted:

I thought Feyd was supposed to be super good-looking or whatever? Looks like Shinzon lol

Yeah I don't know if I'm in the minority with this but while the movie is cool the Harkonnens are all way too genericaly evil looking. I thought they were the wealthiest of the great houses and the establishing shot shows some big future buildings but they all live in a cave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like Villeneuve's style on the whole, but the fantastical opulence is missing. You only get it in brief tidbits like Jessica's gown when she arrives on Arrakis.