Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think Xebec ate the Devil Devil Fruit and was reincarnated as Blackbeard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I hope Blackbeard is just some guy.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Ryaomon posted:

I hope Blackbeard is just some guy.

That would lend a lot of credence to the multiple heads theory.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

No Wave posted:

I understood it to mean that he'd have lived out his whole life waiting for the darkness fruit there (and it would have been fine). But finding that fruit meant his dream was alive and it was time to do whatever it is he's up to.

Yeah IIRC he made a plan but it nerded the Darkness fruit, and he was perfectly ready to just chill around being a regular pirate if he didn’t run into it. Which fits with the Blackbeard we know: opportunistic and scheming, but also calm, highly rational, stoic, and carpeing his loving diem.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bisse posted:

Yeah IIRC he made a plan but it nerded the Darkness fruit, and he was perfectly ready to just chill around being a regular pirate if he didn’t run into it. Which fits with the Blackbeard we know: opportunistic and scheming, but also calm, highly rational, stoic, and carpeing his loving diem.
Stoic might be the wrong word for him, but I know what you mean. He rolls with the punches, but he throws a fit as he does so. If you hit him hard he'll go "Ow, gently caress! I'm in a lot of pain!" If he thinks he's going to die he freaks out and loses all dignity. He's very quick to regain his composure and laugh about it five seconds later, but he doesn't exactly stoically endure in the meantime.

He never masks his emotions. He lives very openly and freely. Very un-stoic. But there's something robust about his good humor, so he quickly bounces back from most setbacks.

I agree with the point you're actually making- I think it's likely he had a back pocket grand plan that required some luck, and if it didn't work out, then it wasn't fated to happen and he would have been fine with that. But calling that calm and stoic is interesting because on some level he is, but on another level he really isn't.

Blackbeard is such an interesting character! I'm glad we're at the part of the story where everything's coming together and his disposition is at last really relevant!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think Blackbeard might be my favorite character. The guy is just entertaining whenever he shows up

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

hatty posted:

I think Blackbeard might be my favorite character. The guy is just entertaining whenever he shows up

If any theory's wrong it's this one

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

No Wave posted:

Blackbeard is so reasonable/rational that I'm surprised he straight up killed the guy. I guess it was a tough fight or something and he didnt have a way around him.

That’s an excellent point, but given how easy it is to (accidentally!) steal a devil fruit once you get your hands on it, my bet is that Thatch was about to take a bite, and Blackbeard had no option but to shoot him.

Either that, or Thatch had already taken the bite.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I do love how Blackbeard just rolls with things falling apart/loving up - when he missed his early shot at Luffy just before Skypeia for example, of when he tried to ransom off Bonney, realizes the Navy are coming to beat his rear end instead and he and his crew run away laughing their asses off about how things aren't going their way. Hell even his reaction to being a fingernail away from death after Magellan completely hosed him up during the raid on Impel Down.

He's instigated so much to make himself into a massive power but - perhaps because of a lifetime spent relatively humbled by being "just" a pirate on Whitebeard's crew - he doesn't seem to think he's infallible or above it all. He's an intriguing final(?) villain for Luffy to face.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's funny how I learn about One Piece spoilers these days without even going out of my way to find them; they're trending topics on this TV Tropes/Wiki-esque site that I use for general/pop culture stuff and I'll find names or poo poo in the Recent Trending Searches that automatically pop up.

That's how I found out that spoilers are out despite break week, so we might get an early chapter?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I do love how in every recent appearance of Blackbeard, his crew are getting taken out in someway by getting turned to stone , beaten up or frozen easily, yet just rolling with it and still bouncing back.

They’re such a strange crew in that they seem to take a beating so often and yet still walk away without any real long lasting harm done

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Asuron posted:

I do love how in every recent appearance of Blackbeard, his crew are getting taken out in someway by getting turned to stone , beaten up or frozen easily, yet just rolling with it and still bouncing back.

They’re such a strange crew in that they seem to take a beating so often and yet still walk away without any real long lasting harm done

Sounds like a certain other crew we know...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're just very jovial.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
It's kind of refreshing when Big Mom was so invulnerable she couldn't be hurt from the outside and Kaido introduced by jumping off a cloud and shrugging it off that whenever we cut to the main villain of the series he's starring in a new episode of Ow My Balls.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

Blackbeard is so reasonable/rational that I'm surprised he straight up killed the guy. I guess it was a tough fight or something and he didnt have a way around him.

I think he legitimately just snapped, he looks like he’s melting down in that panel and Devil Fruits are largely a lateral option once you get tough enough (see: Shanks moon walking over to Kid to immediately ruin his entire career, Garp punching so hard it was a mini WMD and immediately complaining how weak it was) so he probably could have stolen it and ran off with everyone shrugging and going “drat that was weird” but his dream was right there barely out of reach.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Last Celebration posted:

I think he legitimately just snapped, he looks like he’s melting down in that panel and Devil Fruits are largely a lateral option once you get tough enough (see: Shanks moon walking over to Kid to immediately ruin his entire career, Garp punching so hard it was a mini WMD and immediately complaining how weak it was) so he probably could have stolen it and ran off with everyone shrugging and going “drat that was weird” but his dream was right there barely out of reach.
Maybe it was the other blackbeard who did it. the one with the teeth.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Ryaomon posted:

It's kind of refreshing when Big Mom was so invulnerable she couldn't be hurt from the outside and Kaido introduced by jumping off a cloud and shrugging it off that whenever we cut to the main villain of the series he's starring in a new episode of Ow My Balls.

He did tank that shock wille from Law better than Big Mom did despite the darkness fruit making him less resilient to damage

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blackbeard's charm point is that he always gets beat up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's like Luffy in that even those he's way at the top he'll still get kicked by people way lower on the power rung than him.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Much like Luffy, Blackbeard beats the odds and gets what he's after in the end, mostly.

Much like Luffy, the narrative also establishes that Blackbeard is a loving dingus who steps his foot in it.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ryaomon posted:

:allears:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Despite the break the next chapter has leaked already so we should get speedscans soon. Official translation should drop on May 7th

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Blackbeard's crew is just evil anime Jackass as a series antagonist. It's great.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m in the third act of Wano but taking this huge flashback detour of Oden and the…other pirates. It is amazing to see this stuff. Oda does such a great job at paying off these reveals. Every detail of Roger and Whitebeard feels legendary.

Just felt like sharing.

Also I find this color spread is hilarious.
I don’t know much about the speed of boy band culture but I assume an outfit like Arashi has already become quite dated. But what do I know.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

LETS loving GO

https://twitter.com/tcbscans/status/1651506321072574465?s=46&t=kRx4sq76ryXHjk6wINOgEw

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

how can i sleep now...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Doesn't the chapter leaking just mean next week is break week now?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No, we're getting the scans super early but we won't get the official translation until next Sunday.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’m in the third act of Wano but taking this huge flashback detour of Oden and the…other pirates. It is amazing to see this stuff. Oda does such a great job at paying off these reveals. Every detail of Roger and Whitebeard feels legendary.

Getting to see Roger and Whitebeard in their primes was loving crazy and Oda completely nailed it, it was amazing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

No, we're getting the scans super early but we won't get the official translation until next Sunday.

So it's just one chapter spread over the next two weeks? That might actually be worse than no chapter

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/7360/one-piece-chapter-1082

:)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

T Bone was like the most Heroic marine so RIP him... Then again he does look like a cadaver so he could be faking it lmao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

E: double post

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Battle Royal Emperor Fight :gritin:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Buggy inspiring the other pirates (and infuriating Crocodile) hollllyyyy shiiiiiit :hellyeah:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they were mad because he was right

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the main thing I wanted from Cross Guild was their intent to go for the One Piece and I couldn't have asked for it to happen in a better way

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I LOVE BUGGY THE CLOWN SO MUCH MAN :cry:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they were mad because he was right

drat right :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis