Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s an ugly controller but an ok console

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
After deciding to go after Zeromus again with a new strat after reading everones comments, I'm not sure why everyone shits on Edge so much. If you keep him alive the fucker opens the Gates of Babylon and nukes most of Zems health by himself. A few guaranteed 9999s and then a few more free 6-8k along with with Kain playing pogostick while Rydia helps Rosa keep everyone up with Elixers while Cecil swaps between item healing and beating Zems head in with Ragnarok. The fight was over stupendously fast.

Did try reflect stats, but didn't feel comfortable with it. Maybe next time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Edge is a glorified equipment recycling machine-- his entire purpose is to convert equipment (and gil) into damage.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Man 3PR has a incredibly weird difficulty spike from Ancient cave onwards. Enemies go from like 100-15 damage per normal attack to anywhere between 200-600, with some bosses just one shotting characters. I think I might just keep x4 xp for a little bit, once I get the Earth Crystal jobs.

It wouldn't be so noticeable if turns weren't random and damage didn't swing so wildly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I tend to make sure that the only people in the front row are heavily armored and/or have protect somehow in FF3DS which is way harder than FF3PR. Ranger is extremely useful because it's in the back row with light armor, even though you can do more damage with a bunch of other classes. Also why you shouldn't bring a warrior, because advance makes your heavily armored dude lose a lot of his utility.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

jokes posted:

I tend to make sure that the only people in the front row are heavily armored and/or have protect somehow in FF3DS which is way harder than FF3PR. Ranger is extremely useful because it's in the back row with light armor, even though you can do more damage with a bunch of other classes. Also why you shouldn't bring a warrior, because advance makes your heavily armored dude lose a lot of his utility.

I mean, yeah, but when an enemy is doing 300 damage to a Viking with double shields I feel like I either have to grind or the game was overtuned on that part. Like, I can forgive Titan currently melting my dudes with Flare since it's Flare and I'm doing things out of order (wanna get Magus and Devout before Doga and Unei) but that feelt a bit too much.

That said now I remembered I can buy Yoichi weapons so I could switch someone to Ranger. Prob Geomance who has been somewhat disappointing, like his AOE was on par with Bladeblitz or BLM on non weaknesses but when my physical dudes can do so much more on ST.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I mean, yeah, but when an enemy is doing 300 damage to a Viking with double shields I feel like I either have to grind or the game was overtuned on that part. Like, I can forgive Titan currently melting my dudes with Flare since it's Flare and I'm doing things out of order (wanna get Magus and Devout before Doga and Unei) but that feelt a bit too much.

That said now I remembered I can buy Yoichi weapons so I could switch someone to Ranger. Prob Geomance who has been somewhat disappointing, like his AOE was on par with Bladeblitz or BLM on non weaknesses but when my physical dudes can do so much more on ST.

I remember hitting this point and my answer was abandon the viking for a dark knight and just kill everything swiftly.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

I just beat FF3PR last night, and (due to playing blind) I had no idea that there was an actual point of no return. That entire final dungeon set is misery. It was good that I had bought 99 Phoenix Downs, and had two characters that could survive two attacks from the final boss in a row (Black Belt and Devout). All I did was punch and heal, and throw out an Elixir every 10 or so rounds.

Apparently I had also missed a dungeon somewhere, but I have no idea how to access it.

Anyway I was enjoying the madness of hunting event flags, and resolving every issue despite just randomly wandering around, sacrificing my boats to get progressively better boats.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I liked having a whole fleet of vehicles by the end of IV

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Do we have a dedicated thread for Stranger of Paradise?

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

That's 13 beat, what a fuckin great game, i really really enjoyed that, that was really unexpected but might be up there far as my favourite of the series ive played so far.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Finished 2PR and wow the balance in that game goes right out the window at then end huh? Those black knight death riders or whatever they're called in Pandemonium doing upwards of 24-2600 damage a shot are just brutal, I wound up just cranking all the boosts to max and grinding it out in the ruby passage before pandamonium and it still was rough. The leveling system is a loving trip, though I understand why they never did it again.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Vandar posted:

This is the thread dedicated to Stranger of Paradise :hai:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Terper posted:

:hai:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Any thread in which you can find Chaos in is, until defeated, the Stranger of Paradise thread.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
I've been playing through 5 lately and it got me thinking about what weird recurring characters might show up in 16. I hope Gogo is hidden somewhere. Been a while since we've seen them. Would be a good way to put in a Dark Link style fight.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mr. Locke posted:

Any thread in which you can find Chaos in is, until defeated, the Stranger of Paradise thread.

X posting from the total war warhammer thread:

I have had it

With motherfuckin chaos

In this

Motherfuckin fantasy world

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheIndividual posted:

I've been playing through 5 lately and it got me thinking about what weird recurring characters might show up in 16. I hope Gogo is hidden somewhere. Been a while since we've seen them. Would be a good way to put in a Dark Link style fight.

Gogo shows up in the BLU quests in 14 but yeah, dude doesn't get around much huh

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Maybe an unforgivable opinion, but I have tried to play FF6 several times and just can't really get into it. Music great, graphics great. I just don't really give a poo poo about most of the characters.

Does it get better later on?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Theotus posted:

Maybe an unforgivable opinion, but I have tried to play FF6 several times and just can't really get into it. Music great, graphics great. I just don't really give a poo poo about most of the characters.

Does it get better later on?

Eventually the characters sort of take a second seat to the intense desire to smack the villain like they're chaos.

Where are you at?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Theotus posted:

I just don't really give a poo poo about most of the characters.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

Eventually the characters sort of take a second seat to the intense desire to smack the villain like they're chaos.

Where are you at?

I think I have played right up to the half way point. Before the map changes. I just feel like Terra, Cyan and Celes are the only few with a real reason to be there doing things.

Locke is a weirdo, Setzer sucks, Gau is a feral child. Sabin is chill, but just kinda there incidentally because of Edgar who is also a weirdo.

edit: I also recognize that these are "bad opinions about final fantasy."

Theotus fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 28, 2023

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Still think 6 and 8 are probably alternating top one and two best music in the series.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vandar posted:

Terper posted:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/HnTGn3F.mp4

Love evoker vacuum and slow field, class is great but it does feel like a "win harder" class where getting the manta ray back to level 3 after a death is rough since its abilities just aren't very powerful at level 1 so the 2 MP cost to get started doesn't always pay off. may need to learn something else to replace it with sometimes.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Owl Inspector posted:

https://i.imgur.com/HnTGn3F.mp4

Love evoker vacuum and slow field, class is great but it does feel like a "win harder" class where getting the manta ray back to level 3 after a death is rough since its abilities just aren't very powerful at level 1 so the 2 MP cost to get started doesn't always pay off. may need to learn something else to replace it with sometimes.

That is straight axe moveset from Nioh 2. I need this game.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Probably old hat to the thread but I got a good hyuk hyuk out of this. :dadjoke:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

DeadButDelicious posted:

Probably old hat to the thread but I got a good hyuk hyuk out of this. :dadjoke:

is that Pixel Remaster? that originates from the GBA translation, right?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah it's pixel remaster. I never played the GBA version though so not sure about the translation. :shrug:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yeah it's pixel remaster. I never played the GBA version though so not sure about the translation. :shrug:

oh no, I am not making GBS threads on you, dude. I think its positively wild that line still exists in the script. I forget who the goon was who flew that under the radar, but thats one of their legacies to the world of video games lol

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

wizard2 posted:

oh no, I am not making GBS threads on you, dude. I think its positively wild that line still exists in the script. I forget who the goon was who flew that under the radar, but thats one of their legacies to the world of video games lol

All good, friend, I didn't feel like you were making GBS threads on me at all. :)

If the script on GameFAQs is to be believed then yeah it looks like that's where it originated from: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gba/929937-final-fantasy-iv-advance/faqs/40689

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Haruharuharuko posted:

Finished 2PR and wow the balance in that game goes right out the window at then end huh? Those black knight death riders or whatever they're called in Pandemonium doing upwards of 24-2600 damage a shot are just brutal, I wound up just cranking all the boosts to max and grinding it out in the ruby passage before pandamonium and it still was rough. The leveling system is a loving trip, though I understand why they never did it again.
They did 6000 when I first played on Origins. Went in blind and ignored shields. It was certainly an experience.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Cid yelling "GOONS!" into eternity.

"loving Goons and also you Shera."

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Terper posted:

I re-bought this to play on my Steam Deck, and it’s just so loving good. Cackling like a madman as I Zantetsuken ol Tiamat to death in mere seconds. All of the jobs are so fun. Ninja, Breaker, Sage, even the beginning Swordsman.

Glad I picked this back up. Game’s drat good, folks

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Once I see a decent steam sale for it you best believe I’m picking SoP up.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
all of the PRs use the gba translations

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there are no dingleberries and y burns in ff5 pr

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Rest in peace, Waterbus.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there are no dingleberries and y burns in ff5 pr

This is what they took from us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Not sure if FF3PR lifted the translation from DS

That said the Spanish localization had an interesting setail, they expressed Noah's gift to Xande as "the chance to live as a human" which sounds nicer than "I give you death lol".