Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bimmi posted:

Fairly high, unfortunately.

Depends on how the grunts are selling, I would think. Iron Blooded Orphans season 1 is only one kit short of a release for every single Mobile Suit, and season 2 only added (I think) 6 more to the unseen pile counting color variants (Spinner Rodi, Spinner Rodi Amida Custom, Garm Rodi, Garm Rodi Commander type, Hloekk Graze, Gilda, Gilda SAU type), while releasing kits (P-Bandai or otherwise) for three of the season 1 designs that got skipped.

Really, a lot depends on variables we can't see yet. Grunt sales are obvious here, but also how much more we see of those suits, how popular they are with the Japanese fanbase, what grunt sales are like, how many parts can be reused from previous designs, and what else Bandai is planning to release in the near future.

I will say that it's probably not the best sign there that the main Gundam of the manga is P-Bandai only while the last few IBO kits were wide release despite being remolds that were only supporting cast in the cell phone game, but if the Zowort Heavy, Dilanza Sol, and Demi Trainer start selling like Aerials, I think it's possible.

(Speculation, but the IBO Urdr Hunt kits seemed to be slower sellers than some of the other releases, which might have caused Bandai to be more gun-shy about spin-off kits in general. Thus the P-Bandai for a main suit.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The UC Engage main Gundam is also P-Bandai only.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's the one that looks like the G Self if it was in the early UC timeline, right?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah the lore is that it's some kind of Anaheim project from Zeon tech (lol).

It looks pretty slick all painted and everything.

edit: Started to learn when these kit colour guides say "a touch" or "a little" they mean the actual littlest amount, like, a tenth of a drop.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 27, 2023

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
After working on this kit for a bit over a year, I've finally finished it!

Quimeliquola Queadluun-Rau [1/72 B-Club Recast]

Added joints to most of the common spots. The resin is so heavy compared to an injection kit that she can't really hold herself up too well but with the stand it works pretty well. First time I tried lacquer paints too, the color was so overpoweringly vivid until I put the semigloss finish on it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
looks fantastic!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I love it!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pierson posted:

Yeah the lore is that it's some kind of Anaheim project from Zeon tech (lol).

It looks pretty slick all painted and everything.

edit: Started to learn when these kit colour guides say "a touch" or "a little" they mean the actual littlest amount, like, a tenth of a drop.

To me it kinda looks like a theoretical GP05. Whatever the next thing AE was going to make after the Gerbera.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Moai Ou posted:

Why does yours have all those extra runners?

Gonna use the new one as an excuse to finally build the original Rose kit concurrently and curse the lack of/marvel at 30 years of progress

V jealous; only got in on the most recent order so mine'll be showing up in October

Have a few of the old 90s G Gundam kits sitting around as well- currently working on Maxter and just trimming mold flash and thinking about taking the entire thing back apart to do seam gluing on pretty much all the parts- not like it would take long but it would be the first time I've actually done it. 5-buck old kit would probably be a great test case if I gently caress it up I guess. To its credit the like 30 year old kit still does not technically require anything but a nipper to put together even if there's a ton of missing details and a bit of bad molding. I'm kind of charmed by it.

Been holding off on seam deletes because a lot of the modern kits I've been building don't look too bad without it and I just didn't wanna bother. But yeah every time I dip into an older HG I can see all the barely-aligned halves on massive pieces that would really benefit from it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gonna be going to a hobby store tomorrow to pick out a kit or three, can't waaait. Think I'll go for a HG Zaku I Sniper and maybe an RG Zaku II, or an MG. :dogcited:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ijyt posted:

Gonna be going to a hobby store tomorrow to pick out a kit or three, can't waaait. Think I'll go for a HG Zaku I Sniper and maybe an RG Zaku II, or an MG. :dogcited:

Show us the five you pick up.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Are there any 1/48 kits that are reasonably priced and available? Really want to get a big boy to display.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

my Target had the hg aerial for some reason? also saw a rg wing whilei was there. kinda crazy to start seeing these things in big box stores again; i remember getting early g and wing kits at k mart back in the day

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
i'd kind of like to try making a gunpla for fun sometime. between the Turn A Gundam and the Aerial Gundam, which would be more beginner-friendly? I am not especially good at constructing things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I haven't built the Turn A, but the Aerial is the more recent kit and would probably be a more accessible build given the 9 years of advancement in plastic between 2014 and now

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cephas posted:

i'd kind of like to try making a gunpla for fun sometime. between the Turn A Gundam and the Aerial Gundam, which would be more beginner-friendly? I am not especially good at constructing things.

If you want a "proper" beginner's kit to dip your toes in with, consider one of the Entry Grade models. They're still a very highly-detailed HG-worthy kit, but they're cheap and very simple in their construction.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cephas posted:

Aerial, probably. (HG Turn A, right?) But if you want something ultra-beginner friendly, an EG Gundam might be better. No tools needed, snaps together in a hurry, and it's dirt cheap.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Edit: Ignore this, mis-read the post.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Ver. Ka Zeta seems to have been popular as expected, by the time I got to the stores today there was almost no trace of it having been there at all. Will be looking forward to reports coming in on Twitter.

Anybody have advice/wisdom re: dust/powder collectors? Getting more serious with sanding, scribing etc. but don't have a lot of ventilation where I work, so considering picking up a cheap tabletop nail dust extractor or a solder fume extractor etc., don't care enough for something expensive like the Dspiae/Void or whatever though.

I'm aware the standard advice is "not worth worrying about it" and I mask up besides, but that powder's gotta go somewhere and it seems like less of a hassle to get it at the source. Does anybody actually bother with this?

JoeGlassJAw posted:

G-Self. still mad about it

chiasaur11 posted:

Also the Burning and the Divers lead suits, if you count build, as well as the AGE 3 and FX.
Point taken! Could be a while I guess.

Queadlunn posted:

After working on this kit for a bit over a year, I've finally finished it!

Quimeliquola Queadluun-Rau [1/72 B-Club Recast]
Nthing that this is amazing work!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I use the smallest of the three Ikea air purifiers but if there's some serious dust you might want a cheap shop vac at minimum.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Wet sanding will reduce the number of particles in the air, too.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wet sanding is something I always forget about but ends up with much better results than dry. Been doing it more regularly on warhammer stuff, +1 to the recommendation.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Oh man, wet sanding! That's a great thought, thank you both. Seems like my current paper is not water-ready sadly, but easy to rectify that.

That being said, the IKEA purifier is pretty nifty too, and I already had a shopping cart going. Since it's side-ported you could probably even set it directly in your lap and use it as a mini work surface. Neato! PM2.5 filtering seems more than fit for purpose, I'd have to sand with a mighty fine grit to get down to 2.5 micrometre particles right?

For actual content, started on the MGSD Freedom today - really great experience so far, lots of cool little touches (and weirdly no undergates so far - was expecting a bunch).

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Have a Tactical Egg

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cthulu Carl posted:

Have a Tactical Egg

That's a Good Egg.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My egg fell off the shelf and I can’t find the right hand :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

All the king's horses....

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

You can replace it with any other 30MM hand but it still hurts

Waffleman_ posted:

All the king's horses....
Wondering how they would have helped in the story. Pretty sure they just would have made everything worse

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 30, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DeltyThe73rd/status/1652291020359614466?t=eDhqTTs87Hbp_tsLajwHnw&s=19

Lol it's a conversion kit for Banagher "I want my goddamn beam magnum" Links.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I have a logistical issue about finishing up my Barbatos: I gloss-topcoated the entire thing so I could do panel-lining and decals but now I'd like to only do matte on the armor and leave the metal frame as gloss. Obviously the answer is "take the armor off and topcoat it separately" but the topcoat I want to use is the Premium Mr Topcoat Matte does which is £10 a can. Is there any way to try and conserve this stuff or do I just need to accept that tons of expensive topcoat is going to hit nothing but air?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Two options off top of my head:

1. Matte everything, then go back with a brush and gloss the inner bits. This is fine and in some cases a good solution to the "frosting" problem.

2. Get some Silly Putty and mold it around the glossy bits. Silly Putty is great for this. It's easy to work with and leaves basically no residue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqqDP62_QnQ

I appreciate the engineering that goes into making a transformation thst still looks like a crumpled piece of paper.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's been months but my Aerial and Darilbalde have finally arrived.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Trip report: they didn't have RG Zaku's so I picked up a HG Zaku I Sniper and RG Z'Gok :3:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
First try. The light isn't great but really every colour looked awful, either washed-out and grimey or a bad shade of off-white that didn't work for this kit at all.

Second try. Unfortunately the panel lines are not great because some of the gunk from the paint-stripping process got in there and cap-action didn't work so great, but I did what I could with a fine-tip marker.

Fantastic kit, 10/10 would recommend to anyone. I really wish I had a better way to take pictures because there's so much cool stuff going on in it, and the accessories are great. Also in the end I put every small piece on a stick and sprayed them all at once. Still wasted a lot of it but the Premium Matte topcoat does actually look so good IRL it was worth it.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

ijyt posted:

Trip report: they didn't have RG Zaku's so I picked up a HG Zaku I Sniper and RG Z'Gok :3:

unequivocally the better choice

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Pierson posted:

First try. The light isn't great but really every colour looked awful, either washed-out and grimey or a bad shade of off-white that didn't work for this kit at all.

Second try. Unfortunately the panel lines are not great because some of the gunk from the paint-stripping process got in there and cap-action didn't work so great, but I did what I could with a fine-tip marker.

Fantastic kit, 10/10 would recommend to anyone. I really wish I had a better way to take pictures because there's so much cool stuff going on in it, and the accessories are great. Also in the end I put every small piece on a stick and sprayed them all at once. Still wasted a lot of it but the Premium Matte topcoat does actually look so good IRL it was worth it.

Looks great to me!

Sorry about the problems with the topcoat, rattle cans are really rough for small work like this, but its much easier to get a hold of and use than going for an airbrush setup.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I love the detachable knives MG Barbatos' mace has. It's the kind of thing I could believe was an actual feature of the weapon in the show, we just never see it because Mika's all about smashing, not stabbing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

JoeGlassJAw posted:

my Target had the hg aerial for some reason? also saw a rg wing whilei was there. kinda crazy to start seeing these things in big box stores again; i remember getting early g and wing kits at k mart back in the day

That's where I got my Deathscythe. Some have better variety than other Targets. Going to check the one I saw the God Gundam at later this week, and see if it's still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Drossel?

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1653323538563239936?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ