Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Count Roland posted:

Wasn't there also a steady expansion south by Bantu peoples that had been going on for several centuries?
There was, yes, but if the British and Dutch explorers had come at almost any other time they wouldn't have found such a chaotic mess, and the expansion of Portuguese trade up the Zambezi and Limpopo was one of the destabilizing points that caused that.

Like there wasn't a worse point in time someone could happen across the Orange River basin than the time that they did, which proved convenient for anyone wanting to tell stories about either the 'empty south' or the inability of African people to govern.

e: politically loaded maps

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Albino Squirrel posted:

It absolutely blows my mind that large sections of the Eastern US were so depopulated that nobody knows who lived there at the time of contact. The population collapse with the introduction of European diseases was so thorough that I've heard post-contact North America described as a collection of post-apocalyptic societies.

The regions with insufficient areas aren't so much a result of total depopulation (although there was a lot of that happening) as they are a lack of information about the languages the inhabitants spoke. Linguistics wasn't a thing yet so there weren't people carefully documenting every local tribe's language.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Hey, map goons. I recently started a new job in the back room at a thrift store and when I saw this thing come in, I thought that this thread might enjoy picking on whatever the hell happened to Spain, Portugal, and Italy (the first thing I noticed). Also thin limp Florida.

Sorry if any part of it is unreadable, it has very reflective paint, as you can tell. It's pretty big (it's leaning against a large shopping cart) and the wood was mostly still in good shape. I have no idea how old it is or who made it (the bottom right might be an artist signature, but I can't make it out).

edit: Are the ridges mountain ranges and not just artistic bumps?

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 27, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The regions with insufficient areas aren't so much a result of total depopulation (although there was a lot of that happening) as they are a lack of information about the languages the inhabitants spoke. Linguistics wasn't a thing yet so there weren't people carefully documenting every local tribe's language.

You do get early reports of smoke plumes dotting a seemingly-dense coast vs when the english start settling and it’s all god-given overgrown fields and orchards in New England

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

beats for junkies posted:

Hey, map goons. I recently started a new job in the back room at a thrift store and when I saw this thing come in, I thought that this thread might enjoy picking on whatever the hell happened to Spain, Portugal, and Italy (the first thing I noticed). Also thin limp Florida.

Sorry if any part of it is unreadable, it has very reflective paint, as you can tell. It's pretty big (it's leaning against a large shopping cart) and the wood was mostly still in good shape. I have no idea how old it is or who made it (the bottom right might be an artist signature, but I can't make it out).

Tag your favorite feature! Mine's the Philippine.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

RIP South Korea

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I’m the Panama strait

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

blaccaspian sea

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

No New Zealand, of course.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I like the little Baja California nipple.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Just artistic

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

that's a pretty good map given that it was made by some dude with a soldering iron

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Turkey and Ethiopia and Thailand being no-data

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VictualSquid posted:

Turkey and Ethiopia and Thailand being no-data

Iran and Afghanistan, too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You see that a lot on speculative European maps from that era, "countries that we failed to colonize but are unlikely to go Russia or China so just put ???"

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Seen in Asian restaurant in EU.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

alex314 posted:

Seen in Asian restaurant in EU.

That balalaika is huge :prepop:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Ah yes the famous China-Japan alliance

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kamrat posted:

Nations:

Linguistic groups:

I always find these maps weird, as if the linguistic groups didn't overlap, or as if there was any real concept of a nation state. I mean maybe Native Americans didn't get around as much as Greeks or Phoenicians? Whenever I see these I get the impression they're as misleading as trying to put an ethno-linguistic map on any period of Mediterranean history from between like 1000 BC and 1800. I don't know much about it (and perhaps no one does), but I really doubt Native Americans were generally genocidal hard-border nationalist maniacs.

The bottom one at least looks like it could be realistic. The top one must be replete with poor quality data from hundred of different years all mixed up together, since the years at which they have the east coast tribes labeled would be like 1600, vs the west coast would be like 1850. Like putting together a map of WW2 Europe mixed up with some War of the Roses stuff.

E: Basically I am saying that upper map is this:

Saladman fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 28, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

What time period is this and what political leanings? It has post WWI borders for Germany / Austria, but it seems to give far too leeway to the British / Americans / Russians, and too little credit to Italy to be made by Nazis. On the other hand it assumes that China's gonna be conquered by Japan? Which would be against the Weimar policy, along with the more obviously problematic "conquer France and all our former colonies" pickle.

jeebus bob posted:

Ah yes the famous China-Japan alliance

I think you'll find none of those block are exactly built on foundations of brotherly love.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

steinrokkan posted:

What time period is this and what political leanings?
It's a 1920s speculative map of world alliances towards the end of the 20th century.

I'm not sure of the author's political leanings, it seems to fit into the wild Atlantropa school of "there's definitely going to be a strong Eurafrican alliance in the future (Euros at the top ofc) but the Brits and Russians will be outside of it."

Not sure who has conquered who in the Ostasien sphere, or if it's more a mutual pact, or if the author is just being racist and assumes that the 'yellow races' will be one of the world poles.

(it's not like we haven't seen the latter from some far more modern speculative maps, "yeah, the sino-japanese-korean sphere, that makes sense")

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

steinrokkan posted:

What time period is this and what political leanings? It has post WWI borders for Germany / Austria, but it seems to give far too leeway to the British / Americans / Russians, and too little credit to Italy to be made by Nazis. On the other hand it assumes that China's gonna be conquered by Japan? Which would be against the Weimar policy, along with the more obviously problematic "conquer France and all our former colonies" pickle.

I think you'll find none of those block are exactly built on foundations of brotherly love.

Sure but the others least had an established relationship, however unequal it may have been: US plus its hegemony over South America, UK and its colonies, the rest of Europe and their colonies, Russia et al.

China+Japan as a united bloc is nonsense, regardless of when the map was made

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Like so:

Most interesting thing is the difference between the 1920s nonsense and 2020s nonsense, like the assumption that Africa is 'naturally' split into British and European spheres (and Ethiopia) vs the assumption that it is split into African and Islamic spheres, or panamericanism vs everything south of the Rio Grande is Latin.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

jeebus bob posted:

Sure but the others least had an established relationship, however unequal it may have been: US plus its hegemony over South America, UK and its colonies, the rest of Europe and their colonies, Russia et al.

I mean, I'm sure some Japanese around the time would disagree about their right and ability to make it so

And Wang Jingwei's puppet government followed earlier attempts to fund Japan-controlled Chinese government during the warlord era.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Politically loaded because only one of those three men is Japanese.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Guavanaut posted:

Like so:

Most interesting thing is the difference between the 1920s nonsense and 2020s nonsense, like the assumption that Africa is 'naturally' split into British and European spheres (and Ethiopia) vs the assumption that it is split into African and Islamic spheres, or panamericanism vs everything south of the Rio Grande is Latin.

because of the size/simultaneous contrast it was hard for me to see if they put bosnia and albania in the islamic (?) cultural sphere, or if they were doing an asterisk-style "all the world was subjugated by a large cultural block. all? no, two autochthonous nations hold out" thing

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Politically loaded because only one of those three men is Japanese.

None of them are Japanese, is the point, the man in the middle is the aforementioned Wang Jingwei.

It's a poster announcing that his Japanese-formed Chinese government is recognized as legitimate by other... world luminaries. So regardless of whether they ever managed it, controlling China via proxies was very much on Japanese agenda.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 28, 2023

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

jeebus bob posted:

For a map made in 1920 its no more nonsense than a Franco-German union, or a Finland and Spain union.

They're all about as crazy as each other at the time.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Richard von Coudenhove-Kalergi, who made the map, was a pan-European nationalist. He was one of those people who had very contrarian views that were a product of his time. So like, he rejected the Eugenicist view that race mixing would dilute the blood of the white race by arguing that race mixing was Good, Actually. And his response to claims that the Jews were running the world was "What if the Jews are just better at running things than you idiots?"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Europe/Asia: Meticulously drawn borders ensuring even the smallest country is placed into its correct category
Africa: "Whatever, just draw a horizontal line, this ain't rocket surgery"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Powered Descent posted:

Europe/Asia: Meticulously drawn borders ensuring even the smallest country is placed into its correct category
Africa: "Whatever, just draw a horizontal line, this ain't rocket surgery"
On one hand, yeah, but on the other that is, as far as I understand it, essentially the dividing line for where people follow Islam, regardless of national borders.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

On one hand, yeah, but on the other that is, as far as I understand it, essentially the dividing line for where people follow Islam, regardless of national borders.

It's weird that they did trace the northern border of Senegal to put it in the African sphere, despite Senegal being 97% Muslim.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Napoleon Nelson posted:

It's weird that they did trace the northern border of Senegal to put it in the African sphere, despite Senegal being 97% Muslim.

that's because it's a map of perceived skin colour

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Saladman posted:

I always find these maps weird, as if the linguistic groups didn't overlap, or as if there was any real concept of a nation state. I mean maybe Native Americans didn't get around as much as Greeks or Phoenicians? Whenever I see these I get the impression they're as misleading as trying to put an ethno-linguistic map on any period of Mediterranean history from between like 1000 BC and 1800. I don't know much about it (and perhaps no one does), but I really doubt Native Americans were generally genocidal hard-border nationalist maniacs.

There was some kind of an idea of a nation state, most notably with the bigger societies like the Aztecs, Incans, or Iroquois. The Aztecs were pretty notable in their harshness towards their enemies, which was part of how the Spanish could easily partner with the Aztecs' enemies to overthrow the empire.

Most Native American societies were sedentary agricultural societies, which naturally creates some kind of territorial claims; they may have not had borders on maps in the same way we do now, but the idea of borders on maps as opposed to just keeping track of territorial claims in vaguer ways (like claiming specific towns, valleys, or just "this side of a river") only caught on in Europe after the popularity of deep sea navigation created the popularity of the idea of maps in the first place. Many native american groups after Columbus became nomadic, after the devastation of disease left it more feasible to just hunt and gather across the many newly vacant lands, but even nomads can be territorial. The Comanche worked out a whole seasonal path of where they went throughout the year, they had a clear "territorial zone" that others could not go into without their knowledge (although the Comanche in other ways don't exactly meet the definition of a state). There's plenty of native american on native american wars and conquest and even some kinds of vassalage, but most people don't learn about them because they're often not especially relevant to the modern day.

There's a lot about pre-depopulation American societies we don't really know and can only guess at from mixed archeological data and accounts from spanish expeditions that were exploring all over the drat place back in the day. There were a lot of misunderstandings with Europeans over power structures, and even later on when there were lengthy treaties with native americans over territory, there would still be misunderstandings, arguably often intentional.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Saladman posted:

The bottom one at least looks like it could be realistic. The top one must be replete with poor quality data from hundred of different years all mixed up together, since the years at which they have the east coast tribes labeled would be like 1600, vs the west coast would be like 1850. Like putting together a map of WW2 Europe mixed up with some War of the Roses stuff.

E: Basically I am saying that upper map is this:

Nations in this context means a shared culture, not a nation-state

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CommonShore posted:

that's because it's a map of perceived skin colour

100%, the actual muslim line in the sahel is a couple hundred miles south in west africa and way weirder in east africa

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SlothfulCobra posted:

spanish expeditions that were exploring all over the drat place back in the day.
Holy poo poo piss that is way more inland and north pacific coast exploration than I knew they did. I could look at this thing for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Holy poo poo piss that is way more inland and north pacific coast exploration than I knew they did. I could look at this thing for hours.

it's interesting seeing the lack of dates in the 1600s and early 1700s