Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

"making my wife cry first thing in the morning by sending these heavy-duty lawmen [to] come collect stuff and talk about stolen products and jail time,"

I guess the correct move would be to not open the door and call the real cops? I can't imagine cops would be happy about security guards pretending to be cops.

A lot of people are dumbasses and can't tell the difference. Which is not their fault. Which is also why Wotc sent pinkertons. which makes me feel better about stealing all of their products for the past twenty years.

(btw if you want any free WOTC products that aren't shithead cards PM me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

"making my wife cry first thing in the morning by sending these heavy-duty lawmen [to] come collect stuff and talk about stolen products and jail time,"

I guess the correct move would be to not open the door and call the real cops? I can't imagine cops would be happy about security guards pretending to be cops.

Real cops loving love to not wear any insignia or have noticeable markings or anything like that but also become extremely aggressive and possibly murder you if you don't immediately recognize and deflect to their cop authority anyway so that makes it really easy for pretend cops.

Apr 7, 2003

There has been a blurring of the lines between "intellectual property" and actual property, and between enforcement of real laws and fake contract poo poo, and that ain't good for any of us.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Thoguh posted:

Real cops loving love to not wear any insignia or have noticeable markings or anything like that but also become extremely aggressive and possibly murder you if you don't immediately recognize and deflect to their cop authority anyway so that makes it really easy for pretend cops.

There was a recent story about some cops doing just that and the homeowner answered the door with gun in hand. Then the guy's wife returned fire after hubby was swiss-cheesed. Funny how the Pinkertons are never sent after those folks or anyone well-armed, for that matter.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1651966102245613568?t=THCXFDa3UzFqrxOBAScx3Q&s=19
https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1651969040854794243?t=HQrdtNvENvp12knuJj8kXA&s=19
https://twitter.com/KellyCNBC/status/1652380742444351489?t=U85ZujslYmyRsoy4BVRskw&s=19
https://twitter.com/KellyCNBC/status/1652385318924869634?t=Fymk8V4Bw_yH_tNf1qhH4g&s=19

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

cops would absolutely not give a poo poo about what pinkertons got up to

they aren't just some security guards lmao

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

atelier morgan posted:

cops would absolutely not give a poo poo about what pinkertons got up to

they aren't just some security guards lmao

Didn't that one Pinkerton get busted for blowing away a chud who was waving a gun around like Rittenhouse during a protest? :thunk:

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

just because they’re famous security guards doesn’t mean they’re not security guards

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Horseshoe theory posted:

Didn't that one Pinkerton get busted for blowing away a chud who was waving a gun around like Rittenhouse during a protest? :thunk:
They dropped all charges.

Apr 7, 2003

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

They dropped all charges.

Took a while though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

holefoods posted:

just because they’re famous security guards doesn’t mean they’re not security guards

Pinkerton are a subsidiary of Paragon Systems which is owned by Securitas. They're about as mult national security conglomerate as you can get.

While yes they can actually provide security guards (among other things) having them on your door could mean anything from one polite man in a suit to some APCs crewed by people who aren't in the phone book. Calling the local sherrif is likely to be as helpful as pissing into the wind.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pinkertons are the proto-Blackwater dudes.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

it always makes me laugh that the literal Anti-Pinkerton Act of 1893 which had the company in both the title and text of the bill didn't even slow it down, nor has the bill actually stopped the US Government from employing private mercenaries in general.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Might makes right so holding onto a high horse regardless of how morally correct you believe yourself to be in the face of an army, private or not, is simply a principled suicide ticket.

Give the nice men at your door (lets call them the pointy end of the spear in this case) the dumb gaming whatsit they came for. In return you get to live. It's a very fair and equitable exchange.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

back before the asteroid theory won out there was a competing explanation that was basically along the lines of the more specialized and sophisticated and interconnected the niches evolved into were, the more likely they were to die off in a mass extinction. that’s also the good health ecosystem you want though.

complicating matters are niches and this is a problem for how you are thinking. think of carcinisation. niches do not go away after a mass extinction. they reappear, similar forms evolve again from different origins. elephants and giraffes are like sauropods, dolphins are like ichthyosaurs, the many times crabs have arisen.

niches reappear after a mass extinction and are evolved into again. that’s a major problem, not for how you think, but for particular solution sets that arise from how you are thinking.

can you elaborate a bit on what problems niches not going away after a mass extinction poses for this view? what is an example of the solution sets that arise from it you mean? I understand what you're saying, but I think I don't grasp your meaning.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Pinkertons get away with it usually because they have a close relationship with cops in the first place and can terrorize the population at will.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A lot of people are dumbasses and can't tell the difference. Which is not their fault. Which is also why Wotc sent pinkertons. which makes me feel better about stealing all of their products for the past twenty years.

(btw if you want any free WOTC products that aren't shithead cards PM me)

Also gently caress Nintendo as well for the Boswer thing, I have no problem with anything modding their Switch/using emulators.

quote:

nadian hacker Gary Bowser has agreed to pay $10 million to settle a Nintendo lawsuit against him over piracy charges. Bowser is a member of the Team Xecuter group that have created mod chips or jailbroken the Nintendo Switch, 3DS, NES Classic Edition, and other consoles.

Team Xecuter’s most well-known product is a USB device called the SX Pro that allows the Nintendo Switch to run pirated games. Nintendo has been chasing Switch hackers for years, and Bowser was arrested and indicted last year in a separate federal case. He was ordered to pay $4.5 million for charges related to Nintendo Switch hacks. In total, Bowser is paying Nintendo at least $14.5 million in restitution.

Bowser made a business out of selling console mods, a controversial decision in a modding and emulation community that typically focuses on open-source efforts that usually avoid federal authorities. Nintendo has a history of aggressively pursuing unauthorized use of its intellectual property, and the company has regularly gone after ROM sites that host game files.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:35 on Apr 30, 2023

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

AvesPKS posted:

The only time I've ever seen a part of a Kardashians show, Kim was talking about hiring someone to hack the voicemail of a person she didn't like, and I was thinking, didn't that bring down a British newspaper? How is that not illegal? And she was openly discussing it. I think about that from time to time.

the story seems to be that in the late 90s someone accidentally found out that hardly anyone changed the default pin to access voicemails and showed off this “trick” to one of the british tabloids for a story, which was mysteriously spiked just before publication and the guy was persona non grata amongst all the newspapers soon after

20 years later phone hacking was so normalised that they hacked the phone of a murdered child and kept deleting the messages as the voice mail box kept being filled up by the desperate parents leaving messages, getting in the way of any celebrities leaving messages they could write about , and the cops/family thinking she was still alive

murdoch has already spent more than $500 million on settlements

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

DancingShade posted:

some APCs crewed by people who aren't in the phone book

definitely :rolleyes:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

All good poppet. Have your warm milk & honey, then off to bed. Don't forget to hug grandma.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

DancingShade posted:

All good poppet. Have your warm milk & honey, then off to bed. Don't forget to hug grandma.

Did you have a source or did you just recently play a cyberpunk video game? Willing to be wrong on this one.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

like I’m not saying that the pinkertons are good or cool, here, but it’s pretty insane to launch from the magic card private investigators to private untraceable swat teams in an apc.

maybe like next year but let’s not get ahead of ourselves

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Did you have a source or did you just recently play a cyberpunk video game? Willing to be wrong on this one.

Don't worry about it friend.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

like I’m not saying that the pinkertons are good or cool, here, but it’s pretty insane to launch from the magic card private investigators to private untraceable swat teams in an apc.

maybe like next year but let’s not get ahead of ourselves

lol that would be tame for pinkertons, are you serious

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if you don’t answer your door the pinkertons will strafe your house with a tommy gun

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Lmao Jay

All according to keikaku

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

you don’t have to that sharp of an investor to line the dots up there tbh

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jel Shaker posted:

you don’t have to that sharp of an investor to line the dots up there tbh

Yep. Just one with a memory going back 10 years or more.

edit - Everyone who thought the golden years of plenty were actually normal: lol, also lmao

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 10:56 on Apr 30, 2023

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

DancingShade posted:

Pinkerton are a subsidiary of Paragon Systems which is owned by Securitas. They're about as mult national security conglomerate as you can get.

While yes they can actually provide security guards (among other things) having them on your door could mean anything from one polite man in a suit to some APCs crewed by people who aren't in the phone book. Calling the local sherrif is likely to be as helpful as pissing into the wind.

You have a very active imagination :laugh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

You have a very active imagination :laugh:

Open a history book

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Open a history book

Don't spoil the surprise!

Oh it's okay. They won't open a history book anyway. You can lead a camel to water and all that.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

He lives in a much more interesting world than the rest of us

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DancingShade posted:

Don't spoil the surprise!

Oh it's okay. They won't open a history book anyway. You can lead a camel to water and all that.

lmao it’s the “non diesel cars can run on diesel” guy

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao it’s the “non diesel cars can run on diesel” guy

I didn't notice the user name. Perhaps it is I, who is the slow one.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

cool so the fed explicitly knew that if they kept raising a number this specific bank would fail, but then they did it anyway and didn't warn anyone

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
rent went up 10% :rubby:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

this has been a frequent refrain throughout the hiking cycle

Jerome H. Powell posted:

While higher interest rates, slower growth, and softer labor market conditions will bring down inflation, they will also bring some pain to households and businesses. These are the unfortunate costs of reducing inflation. But a failure to restore price stability would mean far greater pain.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Stereotype posted:

cool so the fed explicitly knew that if they kept raising a number this specific bank would fail, but then they did it anyway and didn't warn anyone

warning people would mean people would blame them for the collapse

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Jel Shaker posted:

warning people would mean people would blame them for the collapse

probably lots of money to siphon away too if you don't tell anyone

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

V. Illych L. posted:

it is good to be able to do basic, small-scale arithmetic reliably in your head, imo

Yep, being able to do some algebra is also essential. They should be able to tell if the big package of mangosteen is cheaper or the smaller package without using a calculator.

Repeal the 2b amendment and regulate these loving calculators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Stereotype posted:

What you want labor to be doing well?!!