Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

SerthVarnee posted:

Well since we're talking about accessibility, I feel like now would be a good time to link you to 2 day's of conference stream from the Games Accessibility conference that took place in London 24th -> 25th of April 2023.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVEo4bPIUOsk7rvgPy8bBLZBruIEM5Apa

And speaking as someone with (at this point) crippling photo-sensitive epilepsy, the concept of putting down a line saying "past this point is going too far" regarding accessibility is complete at odds with my world view.
I remember reading stories of a war veteran with some serious PTSD who desperately needed a job and really wanted to work in the games industry. His first job was to be playtester for one of the fps games centered around the Americans and their fight against the population of the middle east.
He absolutely hated the sound of gunfire since it took him back to his time spent in Fallujah. But that was his job and he stuck with it.

Now in terms of disability, there might be an argument for whether or not that counts as a disability enough to be worth accommodating him with an accessibility option that turns the gunfire sounds more into Doom sounds instead of making them as realistic as possible.
But I am sure as poo poo not going to be the gatekeeper telling him that it is just going to suck to be him because this is too slippery a slope for me to accommodate his niche issue.

Like TooMuchAbstraction said, a lost sale is a lost sale, and it is up to the devs alone to decide how many people they have the time and resources to make their game accessible to.

I've had death threats thrown my way because I had the audacity to report a game having seizure triggering elements that I couldn't bypass.
Those death threats came from someone else with photo-sensitive epilepsy who got pissed that I tried to make things better for others, because they thought I did it to get attention and praise.
The disabled community has enough trouble with our own self-loathing causing infighting already. We welcome people with anxieties and phobias having their issues addressed, because it only makes the world better.
Oof. I’m sorry to hear this happened to you. I wish I could say it sounded surprising, but it really doesn’t. Even we disabled people can be guilty of short-sighted envy and bad behavior. Feel like it’s easy to fall into that trap and to develop a FYGM attitude. Wish it didn’t go that way but I’ve seen stuff like that too.

I should reclarify that even though I have my own limits and considerations about what I would personally like to see developers care about/think they should care about, I think it’s always a good thing when games find ways to broaden their inclusiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
One thing that kinda sucks is some studios don't want to spend the money/time but do want the kudos or the perception and the idea that they're trying to do better with accessibility. I had a job as head of QA for a company and they said they really wanted to focus on accessibility with the big game they were working on and the publisher also had a bunch of accessibility guidelines they were gradually building over time, when I was there they were still very nascent though. Either way they wanted the game to be adjusted to be adhering to them as they came into place, a lot of them were common sense things that you'd expect but they also wanted to be "pushing the field forward".

The issue is they just told me "right you should be in charge of accessibility standards, implementation recommendations and testing of them" with the implicit part being I couldn't say "no" and obviously there'd be no guidance or help in that area, no increase in pay or allowances on my time to allow me to study this entirely new thing that hasn't ever been anything I've done, I was essentially expected to do both roles, the one I'd been hired for to the extent I had been and this new one which is a full time role at some places. We didn't even have a producer at the time either.

Obviously I'd expect to be testing whether those features actually work and don't break the game, that'd be fully in QA's remit but testing how they're actually working for someone with the relevant lived experience kinda needs that actual lived experience somewhat I'd say, for some of them at least. Same with recommendations on completely new features and how to implement them and such. Wasn't the worst or most difficult part of that job but it certainly added to the stress.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Does being able to fight off spiders help at all with arachnophobia or is it their appearance itself that triggers that feeling

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Does being able to fight off spiders help at all with arachnophobia or is it their appearance itself that triggers that feeling

No. Yes.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

One thing that kinda sucks is some studios don't want to spend the money/time but do want the kudos or the perception and the idea that they're trying to do better with accessibility. I had a job as head of QA for a company and they said they really wanted to focus on accessibility with the big game they were working on and the publisher also had a bunch of accessibility guidelines they were gradually building over time, when I was there they were still very nascent though. Either way they wanted the game to be adjusted to be adhering to them as they came into place, a lot of them were common sense things that you'd expect but they also wanted to be "pushing the field forward".

The issue is they just told me "right you should be in charge of accessibility standards, implementation recommendations and testing of them" with the implicit part being I couldn't say "no" and obviously there'd be no guidance or help in that area, no increase in pay or allowances on my time to allow me to study this entirely new thing that hasn't ever been anything I've done, I was essentially expected to do both roles, the one I'd been hired for to the extent I had been and this new one which is a full time role at some places. We didn't even have a producer at the time either.

Obviously I'd expect to be testing whether those features actually work and don't break the game, that'd be fully in QA's remit but testing how they're actually working for someone with the relevant lived experience kinda needs that actual lived experience somewhat I'd say, for some of them at least. Same with recommendations on completely new features and how to implement them and such. Wasn't the worst or most difficult part of that job but it certainly added to the stress.

Yep. This matches my experience in venues outside of gaming and I’ve suspected that this is happening at a lot of companies. I think this type of attitude is a AAA problem, mostly, because in my experience AAA games are both likely to have the most options and also likely to have the poorest design for those options. GoW:R shouldn’t have gotten all the credit for its half-baked accessibility poo poo.

This is also why I’ll always argue for a middleware accessibility solution. If anyone actually gave a gently caress they’d design from first principles, but at least a middleware option would secure a baseline for lovely devs that don’t care very much, so they can check their boxes and an expectation of quality can exist, instead of all this reinventing the wheel, sometimes in very cynical ways. I’m super salty about Ragnarok because Sony had set a precedent with TLoU II so I expected to see a similar bar for quality, but either Sony doesn’t care that much what their internal studios do or Sony Santa Monica just uncritically borrowed the work from ND and didn’t think very hard about how those features could be repurposed for GoW.

Also, loving hire consultants people. Though that’s another can of worms since the pool of disabled consultants is hilariously, embarrassingly small. I’d really like to see some numbers on how much they’re paid though, since I bet they’re beeing seriously lowballed for their expertise.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BurningBeard posted:

Also, loving hire consultants people. Though that’s another can of worms since the pool of disabled consultants is hilariously, embarrassingly small. I’d really like to see some numbers on how much they’re paid though, since I bet they’re beeing seriously lowballed for their expertise.

No bet. Though, if it's any consolation, drat near everyone working in games is getting lowballed. Pay in that industry lags way behind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BurningBeard posted:

Yep. This matches my experience in venues outside of gaming and I’ve suspected that this is happening at a lot of companies. I think this type of attitude is a AAA problem, mostly, because in my experience AAA games are both likely to have the most options and also likely to have the poorest design for those options. GoW:R shouldn’t have gotten all the credit for its half-baked accessibility poo poo.

AAA games are just loving garbage at UI and design for anything. Somehow they manage to get worse at it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Post poste posted:

I tried to google this and found nothing useful in the first 15 seconds, do you have examples?

Looking at it it's probably gonna work better for some spiders than others. I'm not arachnophobic though so I can't personally judge.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

AAA games are just loving garbage at UI and design for anything. Somehow they manage to get worse at it.

They can't decide if they're designing for PC (where you're half a meter away from the monitor) or console (where you're four meters away). It sucks.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Tenebrais posted:

Looking at it it's probably gonna work better for some spiders than others. I'm not arachnophobic though so I can't personally judge.

works for tiny guy, left guy is still absolutely horrific and made me physically gag

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Like yeah dang, I'm not particularly virtual-arachnophobic but even I'm a bit icked out by the one on the left.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's funny, I have the phobia real bad irl, but super exaggerated spiderish things like that in games basically doesn't bother me, even without the hat. I dunno at what point my brain switches over from "SPIDER :ohdear:" to "oh, just some made-up thing", but that's past it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I absolutely hate spiders. It's not usually too bad for me in games, but if the spider has an attack where it like, grabs you or jumps on you or something? ughhh

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I don't mind sp00ders in general, but the frostbite spiders in Skyrim freaked me out. It's the mouthparts.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I absolutely hate spiders. It's not usually too bad for me in games, but if the spider has an attack where it like, grabs you or jumps on you or something? ughhh

The only memory I have of having a bad time with video game spiders was in Dark Messiah, it's been a long time but those things were very lovingly designed and realistically animated, would actually crawl on walls in places like spiders do, and literally jump at your face while making unpleasant hissing noises which is just not a cool thing for a spider to do. Or anything else, really.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Kanfy posted:

The only memory I have of having a bad time with video game spiders was in Dark Messiah, it's been a long time but those things were very lovingly designed and realistically animated, would actually crawl on walls in places like spiders do, and literally jump at your face while making unpleasant hissing noises which is just not a cool thing for a spider to do. Or anything else, really.

I love how video game spiders have a lexicon of noises that are relatively common from game to game but have been more or less invented whole cloth for games specifically. I dunno if even movie spiders ever make the weird rear end noises game spiders do.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Repaying the spider-free Titanfall 2, and:

:allears:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I hate the bloodborne spiders christ those things are assholes

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's funny, I have the phobia real bad irl, but super exaggerated spiderish things like that in games basically doesn't bother me, even without the hat. I dunno at what point my brain switches over from "SPIDER :ohdear:" to "oh, just some made-up thing", but that's past it.

The one on the left is a real world spider :cry:

Agents are GO! posted:

Repaying the spider-free Titanfall 2, and:

:allears:

BT is such a bro

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

No. Yes.

The whole thing of it being a phobia is the appearance triggering massive panic alarms in your lizard brain and overriding all rational thought. Like IRL you are plenty powerful against spiders - you can literally just smash them with a shoe, but it's an irrational fear so that doesn't do anything to calm your nerves.

It's like, you can put on gloves, but that's still not going to make sticking your arm in a poo poo filled toilet any less gross of a prospect.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

BT is such a bro

BT is written so well, the perfect blend of unemotional machine, straight man (in the comedy sense), and canine loyalty.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Maybe it works in real life, too :aaaaa:

I will not be researching it further, however.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

ishikabibble posted:

It's like, you can put on gloves, but that's still not going to make sticking your arm in a poo poo filled toilet any less gross of a prospect.

I dunno about you, but that would absolutely make it less gross to me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

At one point in Gotham Knights Nightwing offhandedly says "The Average Gothamite can expect to be the victim of on average one violent crime a month." I appreciate how well that insane statistic sets up the hell world that is the Batman universe.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pentiment allows you to pet Mausfänger

Later in the game after many years have passed, you can pet Son of Mausfänger

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The Moon Monster posted:

At one point in Gotham Knights Nightwing offhandedly says "The Average Gothamite can expect to be the victim of on average one violent crime a month." I appreciate how well that insane statistic sets up the hell world that is the Batman universe.

weird because I have been assured that Gotham City is a city of justice, love, and peace for every one of its citizens

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I would simply not have phobias

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

oldpainless posted:

I'm afraid that's not possible.

E; vv Thanks!

Velocity Raptor has a new favorite as of 03:42 on May 1, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Velocity Raptor posted:

I'm afraid that's not possible.

Apropros of nothing, I like your profile pic a lot. I remembered seeing it around here at some point, and it popped back into mine with the new Zelda game coming out since Link has a robot arm now. I really need somebody talented to make new crossover art.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

oldpainless posted:

More like oldphobialess

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I have phobiaphelia. Problem solved. Bring me all your spiders and confined spaces and casual social encounters.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Leal posted:

More like oldphobialess

Oldfearless was right there

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Don't expect PYF posters to be funny

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

John Murdoch posted:

Like yeah dang, I'm not particularly virtual-arachnophobic but even I'm a bit icked out by the one on the left.

but its not a spider???? :confused:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Kitfox88 posted:

it is an amplypygi!!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

goblin week posted:

but its not a spider???? :confused:

It's an arachnid???? :confused:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
There are BD-1 Battle Droids from the prequels in Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, they regularly get grenades stuck to their hands and either blow themselves up trying to get it unstuck or they suicide charge you

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

There are BD-1 Battle Droids from the prequels in Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, they regularly get grenades stuck to their hands and either blow themselves up trying to get it unstuck or they suicide charge you

Wonder if the latter is a reference to Halo Grunts.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I played Hades for one week before I had to uninstall it to get my time back. This is my favorite non-spoilery moment from that week:

The context is that Hypnos, the God of Sleep, is also the greeter for the House of Hades. So when you die, he welcomes you and notes down your cause of death. He's also a "cheerfully useless" type. Megaera is the first boss you encounter in each run, and radiates "tired cop" energy. Since she's the first boss, she also has to walk past Hypnos after every time you beat her.

EDIT: thinking about this some more, it ties into another little thing I like about the game's writing: Zagreus (the protagonist) is both nice and polite to everyone in the game, friend and foe alike, with the sole exception of his father. When Hypnos gives him inane suggestions, he responds with a genuine-sounding "Thanks!" If a boss starts yammering about how they're going to spill his blood, about the worst he gets is a tired-sounding "look I've already beaten you who knows how many times, what makes you think this one will go any differently?" Zagreus is a ray of sunshine in a grim environment.

TooMuchAbstraction has a new favorite as of 15:03 on May 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I played Hades for one week before I had to uninstall it to get my time back. This is my favorite non-spoilery moment from that week:

The context is that Hypnos, the God of Sleep, is also the greeter for the House of Hades. So when you die, he welcomes you and notes down your cause of death. He's also a "cheerfully useless" type. Megaera is the first boss you encounter in each run, and radiates "tired cop" energy. Since she's the first boss, she also has to walk past Hypnos after every time you beat her.

EDIT: thinking about this some more, it ties into another little thing I like about the game's writing: Zagreus (the protagonist) is both nice and polite to everyone in the game, friend and foe alike, with the sole exception of his father. When Hypnos gives him inane suggestions, he responds with a genuine-sounding "Thanks!" If a boss starts yammering about how they're going to spill his blood, about the worst he gets is a tired-sounding "look I've already beaten you who knows how many times, what makes you think this one will go any differently?" Zagreus is a ray of sunshine in a grim environment.

Zagreus knows that everyone is just doing their 9-5 jobs, no reason to get mad at them. He also knows that it's Hades that's giving the orders, which is all the more reason to be mad at him.