Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Am I crazy for thinking the C1 sounds really good? Like I always feel like I should buy a sound bar because everyone says to, but I love how the TV speakers sound. I’m even coming from a PC with good quality bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer

So I have been experimenting with this for a bit.
I initially had a 10+ year old LG LCD hooked up to my LG Soundbar with rear speakers. The sound went through my PS5 and sounded really good.

Then I got a CX last Christmas (2021).
I ran the soundbar directly to the TV and the sound was okay.
The wife and I noticed that with some programs (particularly dialogue heavy ones) it was best to output from the TV directly. Particularly when the show was being broadcast in Dolby Vision.

Then last week, due to the Disney App crashing a lot on the TV, we went back to using the apps on the PS5. And not only was the experience smoother, the sound from the Soundbar being hooked up to the PS5 was leagues better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Any recommendations for a decent and hopefully cheapish hdmi switch with dual outputs? I sort of need the reverse of the typical setup.

In my office there's my computer monitor and the kids TV. And then one Xbox Series S. When I play I like to use my monitor, when they play they like to use their TV.

I'd love to just have a simple switch to toggle between the two. One input, two outputs.

I guess I could also just use a splitter and just switch to the input on my monitor when I want to play?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I guess I could also just use a splitter and just switch to the input on my monitor when I want to play?

There are HDMI output selector switches but I would just do this.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KillHour posted:

There are HDMI output selector switches but I would just do this.

Found a $10 one on Amazon that works both as a splitter or switcher depending on which way it's connected.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CDNNZNM/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ACTQ32LD6HJ88&psc=1

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Question IRL posted:

Then last week, due to the Disney App crashing a lot on the TV, we went back to using the apps on the PS5. And not only was the experience smoother, the sound from the Soundbar being hooked up to the PS5 was leagues better.
Assuming the soundbar didn't come with a room correction mic, check out the speaker calibration process the PS5 firmware got last year, it's really good.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Ruffian Price posted:

Assuming the soundbar didn't come with a room correction mic, check out the speaker calibration process the PS5 firmware got last year, it's really good.

I will do that and report back my findings. Thanks.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have an LG C1 and I’ve been noticing it’s changing the brightness during a show with every scene switch and it’s getting distracting. I can tell because the subtitles are sometimes bright and sometimes dim. It really clicked when watching Ted Lasso and two characters were in a room. Camera on one character, bright and normal. Camera on another in the same room, dim. Switching back and forth as the conversation continued. No settings have changed that I can tell?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
LGs have auto brightness limitation, but I don't recall if it can be disabled.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

There are a million setting hidden in the LG C1 that will mess with the brightness like that. Let me see if I can dig up my list...

Here we go:
Picture / Advanced Settings / Brightness / Motion Eye Care
Picture / Advanced Settings / Reduce Blue light
General / AI Service / AI Brightness Settings
Support / OLED Care / Care Picture Settings
Support / OLED Care / Device Self Care / Energy Saving Energy Saving Step
Support / OLED Care / OLED Panel Care / Adjust Logo Brightness
Support / OLED Care / OLED Panel Care / Care Recommendations

Also if your TV has done a firmware update recently that may have re-shuffled some settings. Or maybe even added a new one.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 1, 2023

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I did just do an update last week, none of those settings seem to be on and affecting anything?

Edit: Watching via Apple TV 4K if that makes a difference

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 1, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I did just do an update last week, none of those settings seem to be on and affecting anything?

Edit: Watching via Apple TV 4K if that makes a difference

Is Dolby Vision turn on in the Apple TV settings? If so try turning it off and re-watching a scene where you noticed the problem. See if that has an effect.

I ask because Dobly Vision can also mess with the brightness and color on the fly and if it's a poor implementation in a particular show it might stand out.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 1, 2023

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

McCracAttack posted:

Is Dolby Vision turn on in the Apple TV settings? If so try turning it off and re-watching a scene where you noticed the problem. See if that has an effect.

I ask because Dobly Vision can also mess with the brightness and color on the fly and if it's a poor implementation in a particular show it might stand out.

I just came back to post that after finding out. Seems like it was the culprit!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cool. Hopefully it was just a sloppy Dolby Vision implementation in that one episode. But if it keeps popping up then I guess you know what setting to switch.

Feels like every new TV tech is a double-edged sword these days.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s a known issue but also an issue with shows mastering their programs on insanely expensive screens vs consumer stuff.

Potential fixes here that also void your warranty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5qXj-vpX5Q

Haven’t watched this yet tho - maybe a new fix?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1k-K4jFcY

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Finally switched over my two house TVs from a 15 year old plasma and an eight year old JVC to a new 77” LG G2 in the living room and a 75” U8H Hisense in the bedroom (thank you tax returns!). Really enjoying the look of the 4k stuff, but my kids are complaining that it’s too bright for them now. Haven’t really tinkered with any of the settings beyond making sure that the Apple TV and Xbox are set to use all the modes possible, and that motion smoothing is turned off.

The only concern, and not complaint is that the sound for the G2 sounds off, but that’s also because we’ve been used to TV speakers for the last year or so when the receiver died. Going to play around with the settings but I’m still thinking I want to just get a Sonos Arc for simplicity.

Otherwise, it’s cool as hell. I turned on Thor Ragnarok on Disney+ and it felt like a mini movie screen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A * review on a $4,000 screen (presuming they didn’t combine reviews from different screensizes) because the WiFi connection doesn’t work well in their setup. Jesus Christ. Just buy a $20 Roku or Firestick.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
On the other hand if you're spending that much the wifi should probably work

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sure, but it’s like giving a car a * review because the seat adjustment control is in a slightly awkward place.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gonna have to disagree.

If the wifi chip is poo poo and dropping that’s annoying. Most people aren’t running Ethernet. And saying you have to buy a dongle to get the same stuff built into your tv is gonna rub people the wrong way.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Gonna have to disagree.

If the wifi chip is poo poo and dropping that’s annoying. Most people aren’t running Ethernet. And saying you have to buy a dongle to get the same stuff built into your tv is gonna rub people the wrong way.

Most(all?) of the expensive tv's have cheap 100Mbps ports.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We have a new Suburban at work and I drove it yesterday and the gear shifting mechanism is the worst thing I've ever seen.

You dont push in on them either, except for park. You gotta pull on them. That definitely earns it *

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MikusR posted:

This, even a top of the line LG OLED has 100mbit/sec ethernet for some stupid loving reason (read: bean counters). There are commercially produced Bluray movies that exist right now that can not be streamed over wired ethernet to a brand new top tier TV without buffering, solely because LG decided to save a few pennies. WiFi on these TVs is legitimately faster than the wired network if it's working well, so a WiFi problem with such a TV would potentially be a meaningful problem rather than just a minor annoyance.

I'm 100% with the idea that if it can be plugged in it should be plugged in, but hardware vendors make stupid choices and most of the market are idiots who act like they're allergic to wires.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m 2023 you shouldn’t be plugging your tv into any kind of internet connection outside of getting updates.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m 2023 you shouldn’t be plugging your tv into any kind of internet connection outside of getting updates.

Hell, even that you should try to do offline with a USB stick if at all possible.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Why?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Something about stealing your data type poo poo. I don't care, I leave it plugged in all the time.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

GreenNight posted:

Something about stealing your data type poo poo. I don't care, I leave it plugged in all the time.

Yeah, I don't care if LG or whoever knows what I'm watching. If you own a smart phone you're probably 100x more exposed than your tv.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MikusR posted:

Ok?

I was saying it’s dumb to have a poo poo wifi chip.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Ok?

I was saying it’s dumb to have a poo poo wifi chip.

It's even dumber to have even shittier lan chips.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Not to defend big multinational TV manufacturers, but just because his TV doesn't stay connected to his WiFi might not be the TV's fault.
Like I've known people with WiFi setups that allow a limited number of devices to connect, so when they get new devices, they are baffled when they don't connect.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, I don't care if LG or whoever knows what I'm watching. If you own a smart phone you're probably 100x more exposed than your tv.

I imagine it's more to avoid all the lovely ads and free 'content' they try to shove down your throat whenever you turn the set on.

Samsung, of course, are particularly bad for this. They have this app called Samsung TV Plus, which is impossible to delete, and the TV often defaults to playing it if you haven't got any other input switched on. This means that my kids end up watching loads of weird lovely cartoons, because they're smart enough to turn the TV on, but not to load up apps or turn on the cable box yet.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
My parents have had a plasma for over a decade and I want to get them a new TV as a surprise.

Size is 55", they leave the tv on almost all hours of the day and usually on a small amount of networks so OLED is not worth considering (I know that burn-in prevention is much better now but knowing their viewing habits it will be inevitable that they'll experience burn-in).

I'm leaning on the Sony X90K in that it's a reliable brand and should look a lot better than their current Panasonic plasma. Luckily it's a more narrow room so viewing angles won't be that concerning, moreso glare I guess.

Does anyone else have recommendations for TVs that might offer more bang for the buck? I am almost settled on the Sony after researching but there always might be something better out there.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If they didnt get burn in on a plasma....

It sounds like they'd be happy with a decent RokuTV or something. Like they just need a TV running and not Dolby Video reference quality.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FilthyImp posted:

If they didnt get burn in on a plasma....

Samsung actually fixed that issue with the models from the last two years of production, and Panasonic was right behind them a year later.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

codo27 posted:

We have a new Suburban at work and I drove it yesterday and the gear shifting mechanism is the worst thing I've ever seen.

You dont push in on them either, except for park. You gotta pull on them. That definitely earns it *

How laggy is the infotainment system

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

So I’m a first time TV buyer. I’m a filthy poor so up until now I’ve mainly had hand me down tv’s that just collect dust. I decided I’d really like to start playing my switch docked, and watching youtube/twitch on my couch. I don’t have newer consoles and likely won’t any time soon. I don’t watch streaming services or movies much but I probably would start to more. I also have an old wii and ps3 I’d like to hook up as well. The main things are playing switch and watching youtube and twitch though.

So I saved for quite a while and I did as much research as I could and went and bought a TCL 6 series R635. (The newer ones aren’t available in Canada for whatever reason). 65” if that matters. I think I’d prefer 55” but they were sold out. Reviews all said it was amazing for the price and perfect for gaming. Now that I’ve spent some time with it however, I’m really not sure it’s the best fit for my usage, and it seems really awful with 30fps games. 30fps games is what I’m here to ask about.

I really want to play games like animal crossing and breath of the wild, which are capped at 30fps even when docked. I’m finding however that trying to do so is extremely hard on my eyes. When I switch to my Switch, the TCL roku settings kick on “gaming mode” automatically to reduce the input lag. It also disables and locks any of the gimmicky smoothing stuff. I find that anything that moves across the screen really looks horrible. Everything in motion is basically doubled and has a lot of sort of…I hesitate to say flicker because I know there are lots of terms to describe visual phenomena on tv’s and I can’t seem to pin down all of their definitions. People online in forums and on youtube keep using words like flicker, judder, stutter, smearing and ghosting interchangeably and to talk about different things so it’s been hard to keep it straight.

I tried disabling gaming mode and turning on some of the forbidden smoothing features, but even with none of them enabled, just turning off gaming mode makes the input delay way too much. I took a video of the issue and grabbed a screenshot from it that shows what I’m talking about. Attaching it to the post.

This is really driving me crazy. Some things on the screen are almost fully doubling in motion. I’ve noticed a bit of this on other displays, and I imagine it’s not a problem that can be completely eliminated, but it seems much more extreme on this tv than I can put up with. To the best of my ability to learn on my own, I think the name of this issue is may be “ghosting”? Correct me if I’m wrong on that since I’ve seen other people using it to describe blurry black trails following stuff. I can’t figure out what the exact factors are behind this doubling in motion, and what I should be looking for in a tv if I want to minimize this problem on 30fps gaming content. I’ve seen some sources suggesting it’s a product of response time, and that faster response time improves it. But I’ve also seen a lot of sources claiming faster response time is actually making it worse and more noticeable. (???) I’ll probably return this tv since there’s other things about it I don’t like too, but I have no idea what I should get instead that would be best for my usage, because I’ve tried and failed to understand the uh, fundamentals I guess of what I’m seeing here. I figured I might ask in here because this is stressing me out too much, and the more I research, the stupider and sadder I feel. Please help me.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 5, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, Animal Crossing looks like that on my TV too. I think it's just your nicer TV giving you a crystal clear look at something that was there all along. You can kinda see it on the Switch's built in screen too but that screen has a a low response time so things in motion just sorta blur which hides this effect. I see it in other Switch games too but Animal Crossing is the worst offender. I'm not sure if there's something else happening in addition to the low frame rate or if the game's dead-on fixed camera just exaggerates how bad 30fps looks when you move left and right.

If it's any consolation, buying a new TV that makes your old game consoles look worse by accentuating their shortcomings is something a lot of us have gone through. It's a bummer but I wouldn't judge a new TV too harshly for shining a bright light on low res games running on older hardware.

I know this is all probably cold comfort though.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Cheap Shot posted:

So I’m a first time TV buyer. I’m a filthy poor so up until now I’ve mainly had hand me down tv’s that just collect dust. I decided I’d really like to start playing my switch docked, and watching youtube/twitch on my couch. I don’t have newer consoles and likely won’t any time soon. I don’t watch streaming services or movies much but I probably would start to more. I also have an old wii and ps3 I’d like to hook up as well. The main things are playing switch and watching youtube and twitch though.

So I saved for quite a while and I did as much research as I could and went and bought a TCL 6 series R635. (The newer ones aren’t available in Canada for whatever reason). 65” if that matters. I think I’d prefer 55” but they were sold out. Reviews all said it was amazing for the price and perfect for gaming. Now that I’ve spent some time with it however, I’m really not sure it’s the best fit for my usage, and it seems really awful with 30fps games. 30fps games is what I’m here to ask about.

I really want to play games like animal crossing and breath of the wild, which are capped at 30fps even when docked. I’m finding however that trying to do so is extremely hard on my eyes. When I switch to my Switch, the TCL roku settings kick on “gaming mode” automatically to reduce the input lag. It also disables and locks any of the gimmicky smoothing stuff. I find that anything that moves across the screen really looks horrible. Everything in motion is basically doubled and has a lot of sort of…I hesitate to say flicker because I know there are lots of terms to describe visual phenomena on tv’s and I can’t seem to pin down all of their definitions. People online in forums and on youtube keep using words like flicker, judder, stutter, smearing and ghosting interchangeably and to talk about different things so it’s been hard to keep it straight.

I tried disabling gaming mode and turning on some of the forbidden smoothing features, but even with none of them enabled, just turning off gaming mode makes the input delay way too much. I took a video of the issue and grabbed a screenshot from it that shows what I’m talking about. Attaching it to the post.

This is really driving me crazy. Some things on the screen are almost fully doubling in motion. I’ve noticed a bit of this on other displays, and I imagine it’s not a problem that can be completely eliminated, but it seems much more extreme on this tv than I can put up with. To the best of my ability to learn on my own, I think the name of this issue is may be “ghosting”? Correct me if I’m wrong on that since I’ve seen other people using it to describe blurry black trails following stuff. I can’t figure out what the exact factors are behind this doubling in motion, and what I should be looking for in a tv if I want to minimize this problem on 30fps gaming content. I’ve seen some sources suggesting it’s a product of response time, and that faster response time improves it. But I’ve also seen a lot of sources claiming faster response time is actually making it worse and more noticeable. (???) I’ll probably return this tv since there’s other things about it I don’t like too, but I have no idea what I should get instead that would be best for my usage, because I’ve tried and failed to understand the uh, fundamentals I guess of what I’m seeing here. I figured I might ask in here because this is stressing me out too much, and the more I research, the stupider and sadder I feel. Please help me.

Have you tried using a different HDMI cable or a different port? Do you have a different dock you can try? I believe I have the slightly older version of that TV and I have never noticed anything approaching what you describe or what that picture shows. I just went and loaded up AC to see what it looked like because I played a LOT when it first came out and it doesn't look or behave like this at all. I have zero motion smoothing on except maybe cinema mode, gaming mode is on, etc. Not sure what your issue is but I don't believe it should look like this and it would annoy the absolute poo poo out of me if it did. Are you still within your return window?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Too my eye that looks like an aggressive game mode, it's anticipating 60 fps CoD where it has to be juiced to deliver a new frame every refresh ASAP, but the nintendo is feeding it 30hz.

I guess you could record with your camera on the different modes to compare.

And make sure your eco-mode/power saving/light sensing feature is turned off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah, Animal Crossing looks like that on my TV too. I think it's just your nicer TV giving you a crystal clear look at something that was there all along. You can kinda see it on the Switch's built in screen too but that screen has a a low response time so things in motion just sorta blur which hides this effect. I see it in other Switch games too but Animal Crossing is the worst offender. I'm not sure if there's something else happening in addition to the low frame rate or if the game's dead-on fixed camera just exaggerates how bad 30fps looks when you move left and right.

If it's any consolation, buying a new TV that makes your old game consoles look worse by accentuating their shortcomings is something a lot of us have gone through. It's a bummer but I wouldn't judge a new TV too harshly for shining a bright light on low res games running on older hardware.

I know this is all probably cold comfort though.

I appreciate any kind of comfort honestly. Do you think I’d be better served returning this one and trying to get my hands on a cheaper older tv with less snappy response time? I like the image quality of this one but I’d likely be just as happy with slightly less. I was pretty annoyed by the limited settings and lack of twitch app on roku.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Have you tried using a different HDMI cable or a different port? Do you have a different dock you can try? I believe I have the slightly older version of that TV and I have never noticed anything approaching what you describe or what that picture shows. I just went and loaded up AC to see what it looked like because I played a LOT when it first came out and it doesn't look or behave like this at all. I have zero motion smoothing on except maybe cinema mode, gaming mode is on, etc. Not sure what your issue is but I don't believe it should look like this and it would annoy the absolute poo poo out of me if it did. Are you still within your return window?

I did feel like it was a lot more intense than any of my other screens. Maybe because it’s a newer model? (2020 is new in canada apparently) I’ve tried with a different hdmi cable and all the ports and it looked about the same to me. I don’t have another dock to test. Tcl’s customer support had me do all that along with factory resetting the whole thing. I am still inside warranty, I got it a few days ago. It does annoy the poo poo out of me, but I’m wondering if I’ll just get used to it.

forest spirit posted:

Too my eye that looks like an aggressive game mode, it's anticipating 60 fps CoD where it has to be juiced to deliver a new frame every refresh ASAP, but the nintendo is feeding it 30hz.

I guess you could record with your camera on the different modes to compare.

And make sure your eco-mode/power saving/light sensing feature is turned off

It does still look like that on the other picture modes with all the features turned off. Smoothing at least for animal crossing does help but it adds some messiness and too much input delay. As far as those settings you mentioned, unfortunately there’s zero settings like that available to me. All I have access to eco wise is screen dim and screen shutoff settings when idle. If there’s other eco stuff built in, tcl roku doesn’t let you touch them, even in secret menus. I think it has VRR but there’s no way to access or fine tune that either on this model. All very frustrating.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 6, 2023