Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

mystes posted:

I suspect that a lot of the problems with cars in the us are because people almost everyone actually hates driving but Americans somehow aren't able to understand that because cars represent ~freedom~ to them, so rather than trying to change things so they don't have to drive, they just purchase bigger cars and drive poorly/aggressively as a way to deal with the stress of driving

There are probably lots of people who tell themselves that they like to drive, but if self-driving cars were ever perfected, I think most of these people would switch pretty quickly once they tried it.

I think the only sense of agency a lot of people in The Land Of The Free™ have is choosing how to annoy and endanger other people while commuting between the job they hate and the home and family they hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

HashtagGirlboss posted:

all politics and values aside there’s something magical about hitting the right road in the right weather in the right car

nice places in nice weather are nice regardless of the vehicle, and in fact they'd be even nicer with less cars

e.g., biking on a nice rice road on a nice day >>>>>>> driving on a nice road on a nice day (except that in america there are practically no roads that are nice for biking)

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

im moving soon and will be able to walk to the grocery store. very exciting times in the lobster shirt household.

A few moves ago I lived in a place where near everything that I needed that wasn't within 4 or 5 blocks was just a short subway ride away, I miss that place sometimes.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

nice places in nice weather are nice regardless of the vehicle, and in fact they'd be even nicer with less cars

e.g., biking on a nice rice road on a nice day >>>>>>> driving on a nice road on a nice day (except that in america there are practically no roads that are nice for biking)

Nah. There’s something unique about a good road in a nice car on a good day. I walk/jog/bike and live in a city where I don’t need to start my car more than a few times a month, but you’re lying to yourself if you’re saying (and again all politics and values aside) that there isnt something uniquely awesome about driving too fast down a rural highway on a sunny Sunday morning when there’s no other traffic

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I don't think that's unique to cars, that awesome feeling you're describing is the awe you're filled with using a machine that is much more powerful than the human body, imo.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Nah. There’s something unique about a good road in a nice car on a good day. I walk/jog/bike and live in a city where I don’t need to start my car more than a few times a month, but you’re lying to yourself if you’re saying (and again all politics and values aside) that there isnt something uniquely awesome about driving too fast down a rural highway on a sunny Sunday morning when there’s no other traffic

it sucks, actually

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Doing cuts on a tablesaw where you can feel the wind of the saw blade on your fingers inspires that same feeling in me. it is awesome, in the most literal definition of the word.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

like I’m not driving but I’m currently a passenger in the middle of a ten-hour drive across middle of loving nowhere Wyoming with little to no other traffic and let me tell you, there’s about four billion things I’d rather be doing right now

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I don't think that's unique to cars, that awesome feeling you're describing is the awe you're filled with using a machine that is much more powerful than the human body, imo.

Probably right but it’s still a hill I’ll die on tyvm

The Maroon Hawk posted:

it sucks, actually

You hate yourself and fun

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
also the first time I got to operate the cardboard baler at my high school grocery store job, it's the feeling when the baler is coming down and something in your head goes "I could put my arm in there and it would just snap it off without stopping for a second". something about controlling something that much more powerful than you starts pumping adrenaline into your brain.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i would rather post online, than drive car

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Maroon Hawk posted:

like I’m not driving but I’m currently a passenger in the middle of a ten-hour drive across middle of loving nowhere Wyoming with little to no other traffic and let me tell you, there’s about four billion things I’d rather be doing right now

Oh yeah being a passenger is universally miserable

Youve got to be controlling the thing for it to not suck balls

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Oh yeah being a passenger is universally miserable

Counterpoint: riding a train is awesome.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've had access to some very fast cars and honestly, due to the whole stress of - infrastructure is literally falling apart almost everywhere - I can't say i've ever had an amazing drive. Like even taking the 101 is poo poo because half of it is dippy and patched to hell because of wash outs and you have idiots crossing the center lines all over the place so its just a level of constant vigilance that has my body feeling like im in fight or flight at all times. Most of the cool mountain roads have animals crossing, regular rock falls, etc. I take 410 to mt rainier a lot and like just this weekend some dipshit crossed the center line and killed 2 people on a blind curve crossing a double yellow.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HashtagGirlboss posted:

there isnt something uniquely awesome about driving too fast down a rural highway on a sunny Sunday morning when there’s no other traffic
I was driving home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield
Listening to gospel music on the colored radio station
And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
Twenty red lights in his honor
Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

I was driving home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield
Listening to gospel music on the colored radio station
And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
Twenty red lights in his honor
Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

Unironically their best song imho

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

webcams for christ posted:

a woman on bike was struck and killed by a truck driver in Basel last week- investigation still pending. reading up on the accident lead me to this handy map of every single reported road accident in Switzerland involving a bike, and I'm modifying my commuting patterns accordingly. interestingly, there are more fatal pedestrian accidents where I live than fatal bicycle accidents

Really cool map. I had never discovered that aspect of GeoAdmin.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It sucks, actually

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

It’s important to ride defensively as a cyclist, as your friend hopefully learned.

Yeah, the lovely thing is this person has been riding daily for 10 years or so, but when sharing infrastructure with cars there's no margin for error. There's no lesson to learn. Everyone does things that know better than in a moment of distraction. No matter what level of knowledge of best practices you have, people cannot and will not behave perfectly every time. The only way to keep ourselves safe is to design systems of transportation that place less and less dependency on behavior. It's the fundamental flaw of cars.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sorry for an Instagram link, but loving Toronto https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrQk1Dsgvfe/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

And so many comments in support of the driver :suicide:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

it's dumb as hell to say that certain activities have a natural, intrinsic awesomeness that can be objectively ranked against other activities

if you think driving through the Lauterbrunnen valley on a nice day is better than biking or hiking through it, I'd simply say you're out of shape, and/or have bad taste

Leroy Diplowski posted:

No matter what level of knowledge of best practices you have, people cannot and will not behave perfectly every time. The only way to keep ourselves safe is to design systems of transportation that place less and less dependency on behavior. It's the fundamental flaw of cars.

:hai:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Norton posted:

i often think about this image when i see kids walking around my neighborhood. cars add a layer of stress to everything you do near them.

americans have an obsession with letting cars get as close as possible to the human activities of daily life, like we can coexist with them or something.

i'd love a neighborhood where the death machines have to stay outside the boundary of where people live. residential areas should be safe to walk around with your dog or kids without having to worry about getting obliterated by your neighbor if you step in the wrong place.

Are we still talking about cars or is this about guns too?

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

skooma512 posted:

Are we still talking about cars or is this about guns too?

A car is just a gun with wheels

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Probably right but it’s still a hill I’ll die on tyvm

You hate yourself and fun

lmao

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

i'm a fat piece of poo poo with bad knees and i drive my grandma's 98 camry

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Walked through a crosswalk and the driver stopped there yelled “you’re loving welcome PRICK” presumably because I didn’t stop to personally thank them for not running over me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

this encapsulates the spirit of america i feel

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

teethgrinder posted:

Sorry for an Instagram link, but loving Toronto https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrQk1Dsgvfe/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

And so many comments in support of the driver :suicide:

In Texas, speeding ticket penalty doubles in order to protect drivers. Most fatalities around road construction are drivers and their passengers. Drivers will kill themselves speeding into any possible obstacle present around construction.

Anyways, we need more bollards and curbs on streets.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah that's true in Ontario too (with the "when worker's present" caveat which is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard)

But hey who cares if the road was closed, a motorist wants to use it!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

heated game moment posted:

Walked through a crosswalk and the driver stopped there yelled “you’re loving welcome PRICK” presumably because I didn’t stop to personally thank them for not running over me

I'd have stopped 'for a breather' in front of his car and called him a punk bitch coward. Drivers routinely look annoyed at me when I exercise my right of way in crosswalks and it inconveniences them (of course it couldn't be their dumbass decision to pull out or make a left and end up blocking traffic that's inconvenient for anybody) but it's very rare that they actually say anything.

I used to enjoy driving, but the only driving I ever really did was around that summer camp that I worked at, so the only trips were DD for drunk friends in and out of town, or short jaunts up the highway to party at a buddy's place.

Trying to think of times I've road raged on the motorcycle and the only time that's really coming up is when a driver made a left turn in front of me - saw me coming, panicked and stopped - and I almost crashed into her rear door where her screaming kid was sitting. I came to a stop, no word a lie, within three feet of her car door with my rear tire in the air. Then she pulled over and I chewed her out for a minute.

I saw red similarly when I was a teenager bicycling home down a busy street and some driver to my left pulled right and almost squashed me against a parked car. Somehow frothing and yelling all beet-faced probably appears way more impotent and pathetic when you're on a bicycle; someone phoned in that I had spat on her car and some fatass pig cop pulled me over and said "if you'd spat on my car I'd have put six rounds in you."

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i'm err uhh normal

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

I'd have stopped 'for a breather' in front of his car and called him a punk bitch coward. Drivers routinely look annoyed at me when I exercise my right of way in crosswalks and it inconveniences them (of course it couldn't be their dumbass decision to pull out or make a left and end up blocking traffic that's inconvenient for anybody) but it's very rare that they actually say anything.

I used to enjoy driving, but the only driving I ever really did was around that summer camp that I worked at, so the only trips were DD for drunk friends in and out of town, or short jaunts up the highway to party at a buddy's place.

Trying to think of times I've road raged on the motorcycle and the only time that's really coming up is when a driver made a left turn in front of me - saw me coming, panicked and stopped - and I almost crashed into her rear door where her screaming kid was sitting. I came to a stop, no word a lie, within three feet of her car door with my rear tire in the air. Then she pulled over and I chewed her out for a minute.

I saw red similarly when I was a teenager bicycling home down a busy street and some driver to my left pulled right and almost squashed me against a parked car. Somehow frothing and yelling all beet-faced probably appears way more impotent and pathetic when you're on a bicycle; someone phoned in that I had spat on her car and some fatass pig cop pulled me over and said "if you'd spat on my car I'd have put six rounds in you."

im glad you're confident but do try not to get shot

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

mawarannahr posted:

im glad you're confident but do try not to get shot

tbf i'd want to put 6 rounds into the cop too

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/01/us/illinois-dust-storm-crashes/index.html

quote:

Dust storm in Illinois leaves at least 6 dead after dozens of vehicles crash on major highway, officials say

quote:

Kevin Schott, the director of Montgomery County’s Emergency Management Agency, said first responders had a difficult time responding to the scene due to the thick dust, noting everyone’s “eyes are full of it.”

Imagine being so loving stupidly car brained that you wouldn't slow down / pull off to wait out a loving dust storm.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

Imagine being so loving stupidly car brained that you wouldn't slow down / pull off to wait out a loving dust storm.
Or the people who always drive directly into the tornado when it crosses the interstate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

happens every winter around here, there's a snow squall on I79 / I80 and people just keep buzzing along at 75 MPH until they die

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

lol that a 2.5 tonne truck is "mini" in the USA.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

silicone thrills posted:

But if I slow down the guy behind me will hit me!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

silicone thrills posted:

due to the whole stress of - infrastructure is literally falling apart almost everywhere - I can't say i've ever had an amazing drive.

Rally driving is the funnest type of driving though

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

In Texas, speeding ticket penalty doubles in order to protect drivers. Most fatalities around road construction are drivers and their passengers. Drivers will kill themselves speeding into any possible obstacle present around construction.

Anyways, we need more bollards and curbs on streets.

Actually that's a little unhinged my friend. I think this fellow summed up the problem pretty well. I pity these poor souls driven to madness by a sick system.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Yeah, the lovely thing is this person has been riding daily for 10 years or so, but when sharing infrastructure with cars there's no margin for error. There's no lesson to learn. Everyone does things that know better than in a moment of distraction. No matter what level of knowledge of best practices you have, people cannot and will not behave perfectly every time. The only way to keep ourselves safe is to design systems of transportation that place less and less dependency on behavior. It's the fundamental flaw of cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

happens every winter around here, there's a snow squall on I79 / I80 and people just keep buzzing along at 75 MPH until they die

the snow falls about my vehicle in a torrent. surging towards the immobilized tractor trailer in front of me i press the accelerator. one last drive