Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So when the mythical number of enough desperate, unemployed people is reached and corporations still don’t lower prices while posting record breaking, largest ever recorded profits what will they blame next for inflation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Raccooon posted:

My wife is in a similar boat but even more wild is that some of the interviewers she was talking to posted about losing their jobs on LinkedIn in the last few weeks. They didn't work at the same companies.

Yikes, Yeah I’m on the fence on if she should actually leave her company or we live apart for a couple months to a year. Maybe it’s better to see what happens a year from now and she keep her job and salary even if it means she moves.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

the financial version of january 6th

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
💵😃👍

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Mr Hootington posted:

David's bridal is closing all stores June 2nd according to WARN notices. BB&BY has started issuing WARN notices for their stores.

As long as Yvette's Bridal is still around, we're fine.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Raccooon posted:

There is probably a lot of free text available on the internet to make a training set for ChatGPT. But, the art generators probably have to be stealing most of their training sets.

It's all from common crawl. If it's on the public internet, and there's no robots.txt to tell the crawler not to, it gets scooped up. Bot goto site, right click, save as, crawl for other links, repeat.

This dataset is huge at this point. LAION-5B is a subset of it and also huge.

Anyway, the archival aspect of this is ludicrously valuable. For a host of reasons from holding public figures accountable to keeping content available.

The private sector was a terrible steward of television and radio culture for example - a lot of that poo poo is just *gone*.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Increasingly nervous computer touchers continue to insist most recent version of AI can never replace them

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I think this falls under economics https://twitter.com/jayjurden/status/1653436290090643456?s=12

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

PostNouveau posted:

Un-paywalled version

https://archive.ph/nRbPU

[Doom Loop Econ] thread title

friendship ended with VICIOUS CYCLE
Now
DOOM LOOP
Is my
Best friend

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Increasingly nervous computer touchers continue to insist most recent version of AI can never replace them

The Luddites were not wrong

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

WGA strike is a lockdown

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Raccooon posted:

Trump is going to be president again.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So when the mythical number of enough desperate, unemployed people is reached and corporations still don’t lower prices while posting record breaking, largest ever recorded profits what will they blame next for inflation?

are zoomers kids old enough to be blamed yet?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

:qq: muh teevee :qq:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

it's not zero sum. AI will essentially never "replace" an entire profession whole cloth: it will be used to reduce the number of positions in an industry, drive wages down, lower required educational qualifications, and casualize labor

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
:raise:
https://twitter.com/lines_down/status/1653458310891470848?t=2gGKVc0rf17rHNuO2uwFIQ&s=19

Oh if anyone didn't know biden is sending 1,500 troops to the usa-mexico border.
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1653464405961502721?t=yKyV4fLJJUcazdvXiwCedA&s=19

The USA is getting what they want in Sudan. Looks like the country is going nuclear. Everyone is evacuating their citizens.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Glumwheels posted:

My wife has applied to 20+ jobs the last month, all referrals from people within the company and/or department, with only 3 callbacks so far. She has 14yrs of experience working multiple roles within the best company in her field. Before the last year she had recruiters and headhunters reaching out to her a lot and it’s all dried up now.

Thanks Jpow, wish he would lose his job or something else :guillotine:

but but i was told the problem is no one wants to work anymore!

the great resignation has KILLEd america

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mr Hootington posted:

:raise:
https://twitter.com/lines_down/status/1653458310891470848?t=2gGKVc0rf17rHNuO2uwFIQ&s=19

Oh if anyone didn't know biden is sending 1,500 troops to the usa-mexico border.
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1653464405961502721?t=yKyV4fLJJUcazdvXiwCedA&s=19

The USA is getting what they want in Sudan. Looks like the country is going nuclear. Everyone is evacuating their citizens.

lol I like how the bots are like "this is really to protect the illegals" as if the right isn't constantly demanding military troops on the border.

Orvin posted:

At least my wife realized this about herself and was upfront about it. I was chatting with a car guy friend at a gathering, and he called something an appliance on wheels. My wife was “Yup, that is exactly what I want. An appliance that gets me from point A to point B that I have to put zero thought into”. At least she was accurate in that regards, we have a Honda minivan for hauling kids around, and you can’t much get more zero thought appliance than that.

I bet most people are like that, but don’t want to admit it. They are clueless and/or oblivious about their vehicle. But they have bought into all the marketing, so they simply must have X, regardless of how expensive or impractical.

To be fair, it's unrealistic to expect most people to gain enough knowledge to have informed opinions on cars. It's ridiculous we expect people to maintain these complex machines with no training or support, just bring em to the dealer or a shop and pray you're not getting scammed, and God help you if you're a woman and bring a car in. $400-600 for tires twice or more a decade, $300-1000s when a part fails. Oil, brakes, shocks, plus whatever subsystem is known to be garbage for that generation or manufacturer and you're just waiting for it to blow (usually transmissions).

So you have to learn an entirely new skillset and spend thousands a year and be in debt for years all so you can get to work. Great system.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can't wait for everyone to start saying my favorite words again.

STRONG

SAFE

STABLE

SOLID

STEADY

SECURE

STOUT

SOUND

STURDY

whatever happened to SOFT LANDING anyways?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreet...nt=share_button

WSB dumbass gives back 300k in FRC short profits as expected. He spent days telling everyone he knew better, but now he is very very sorry.

Pigs Get Slaughtered

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FistEnergy posted:

WSB dumbass gives back 300k in FRC short profits as expected. He spent days telling everyone he knew better, but now he is very very sorry.

Pigs Get Slaughtered

i have no sympathy for anyone using robinhood anymore, like even 90% of wsb immediately moved on from it after the last fiasco. also every broker has fancy apps too, there's zero excuse

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

LLMs can’t replace them but that won’t stop idiot managers from trying

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
If the primary output from your job is writing something, or doing some form of consultation, or producing anything that could accurately be described as a "report" then I guarantee that someone is writing an argument right now for why ChatGPT can replace you. They're wrong and it doesn't matter.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

webcams for christ posted:

it's not zero sum. AI will essentially never "replace" an entire profession whole cloth: it will be used to reduce the number of positions in an industry, drive wages down, lower required educational qualifications, and casualize labor

The main use of AI as it is now it to sell to corporations as the Next Big Tech that will massively increase profits. Corporations will buy into it, they’ll have software made for it and then nothing will come of it. Just like The Cloud, The Blockchain, and a myriad of other computer garbage. It’ll be integrated into systems, not function at all like they were told it would function, and then just kind of rot until the next totally gonna change everything tech. All the tech bros involved warning about how it’s totally gonna take jobs or why we must be scared of the thing they happen to be invested in is hype building to keep it in the public zeitgeist long enough to get decrepit CEOs still impressed by Siri to latch on

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

we shouldn’t fall for their marketing bullshit and call it ai either, there’s nothing intelligent or artificial about it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the cloud is actually useful for managing uptime and reducing load speeds

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Turnquiet posted:

the likely rise in stochastic terrorism (more so than we have been living under for the last 20 years or so at least) as folk really get the screws turned to them will be a sight to behold
1.5 mass shootings a day right now

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I had to buy a plane ticket the week before last and I went ahead and clicked the button to apply for the airline credit card because I would have come out ahead by a couple hundred bucks by using it between the ticket discount and sign up points so I figured why not. My only debt is my mortgage and I have a good credit score. Got denied. Only reason I can think of of for it is that while I'm not a card churner, I do actively look for sign up bonuses and then only cancel cards that have an annual fee, ones that don't I just let sit in a drawer, so I have a lot of credit available that I don't ever use. So maybe banks are starting to get spooked about extending credit to people that already have a lot of credit lines open, even if they have low utilization.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The main use of AI as it is now it to sell to corporations as the Next Big Tech that will massively increase profits. Corporations will buy into it, they’ll have software made for it and then nothing will come of it. Just like The Cloud, The Blockchain, and a myriad of other computer garbage. It’ll be integrated into systems, not function at all like they were told it would function, and then just kind of rot until the next totally gonna change everything tech. All the tech bros involved warning about how it’s totally gonna take jobs or why we must be scared of the thing they happen to be invested in is hype building to keep it in the public zeitgeist long enough to get decrepit CEOs still impressed by Siri to latch on

There's a lot of bullshit about "The Cloud" but I don't think it belongs on that list since it has legitimately transformed a whole lot of the way we live and work.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

drat Medlock really, actually got paid $500K for a drat tweet

https://twitter.com/jdcmedlock/status/1653452817179508736?s=20

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

is america doing yet another genocide??

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Thoguh posted:

There's a lot of bullshit about "The Cloud" but I don't think it belongs on that list since it has legitimately transformed a whole lot of the way we live and work.

Not saying it didn’t but I included it because while the things it does do is good it’s vastly less than some of the outright scifi bullshit that was promised was going to happen when it was adopted by companies

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

EDIT: double post

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Xaris posted:

is america doing yet another genocide??

Well we have been dumping weapons into the hands of both sides of this brewing conflict

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

consumers shouldnt have any leftover money or savings. theyre supposed to be consuming. you ought to end every month with $0 exactly one second before your paycheck comes in. that way the economy can be perfectly optimized towards funneling all the money to pepsico's deserving hands

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FistEnergy posted:

Pigs Get Slaughtered

Why on earth would you use robinhood for this?

I mean, why would you do this to begin with, but given that you've decided to do this stupid thing, why would you use robinhood?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mr Hootington posted:

Well we have been dumping weapons into the hands of both sides of this brewing conflict

Sounds like business is booming

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Relevant Tangent posted:

commercial real estate eating poo poo is so good
debt the first 5000 years etc.

The poo poo will trickle down, best believe. Today's winners will be tomorrow's winners even if they have to take your poo poo to do so. What defines them as a winner in the first place is all the poo poo they've already taken.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
the most progressive president is gonna mow down border crossers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Turnquiet posted:

the likely rise in stochastic terrorism (more so than we have been living under for the last 20 years or so at least) as folk really get the screws turned to them will be a sight to behold

"likely"?