Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hey thread. I haven't been doing much fine wood butchering, but I've got a big deck projects starting. It'll have a 12x24' covered section with a gable roof and a lot of 6x6 posts and stuff, so it'll be fun, but I've got a design quesiton --

I'm also adding about 120' of metal fencing. The panels I got were only 6' wide, and I didn't want 4x4 posts everywhere, so I'm using matching metal posts in between the 4x4 posts to give 12' between 4x4 posts. My question is this -- I want to make a decorative... something... on the top of the wood posts, but haven't found much in the way of inspiration photos or ideas.

Here's something I knocked up real quick, and I like it, but it seems basic. But I don't want to put a whole lot of work into this, because there are a lot of things to do with the project.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

High definitely. Cheap fine sandpaper takes forever if it doesn't just outright disintegrate on you

This is my experience. 3M Cubitron Xtract I've found wildly better than everything else I've tried, but the difference is much more pronounced at 220 than at 100 grit (in terms of sanding speed, the 100 grit is still a lot more durable).

I only really stock 60/80 for rough sanding if I have to remove more material than I'd like, mostly I just do 100/120 and finish with 220.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The purple seems to do decently and is pretty readily available.

3m has like 30 kinds of purple sand paper/discs. There's regular stuff with grit on it that's purple (which is what I see locally at Home Depot usually), there's multiple types of regular Cubitron that are purple, and then Xtract Cubitron is also purple (which is the one I prefer).

I haven't seen anything yellow though, and google isn't turning up any obvious results unless I'm being an idiot.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've made mistakes by starting at 80 grit many times. I'll only use 80 or 100 when I can't flush something up with hand tools, but generally anything straight out of the planer will get 120 as a first grit. If I'm not getting through what I need to (low raking light and pencil marks are a huge help), then I'll step backwards to 100 grit. 80 is a last resort, and sometimes for shaping.

e: whoops new page.
Taytools is an excellent source for the Best Sanding Discs Ever
https://taytools.com/collections/3m...il-film-backing
Compatible with everything, crazy durable, cut forever.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

quote =/= edit.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 30, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ColdPie posted:

Huh, people really go through all of 120, 150, and 180? For some reason I had it in my head that no one does that. I don't know where I picked that up from.

I use the 60 for cleaning up tool marks if necessary, the 100-something gets it feeling pretty smooth, then the 300-something makes it feel super soft & smooth. I feel like it doesn't take super long, but I don't have the experience to compare. I definitely don't make as fine furniture as many of y'all do, and I don't use stain, so maybe my standards are lower.

I tried finding some articles with specifics. Most just say "sand to X00 for finishing," and some of those do mention all of the in between grits. They seem to end in the high 100s or low 200s, so my jump to the 300s is definitely too big. I'll try replacing the 320 with a 220.

I found this article with a bunch of progression examples that seem to be sourced from books by these authors:
My sanding schedule is pretty similar to most of these. Some people sand to crazy high grits but under a film finish it’s useless-the first coat will fill any scratches of 180 or 220 grit. My finish manufacturer recommends sanding to 150 grit for their stains and topcoats for the best color and adhesion. Sanding is one of those things that nobody likes doing but it’s super important imo. It’s the last step of the of the shaping process and the first (and arguably most important) step of the finishing process. Bad sanding, much like a bad finish, can make really good work look kind of awful. If you hate sanding, sharp hand tools cut down on sanding by about 90%.

If I’m doing a hand-tooled surface and want to leave some tool marks, I just go straight to 180 by hand, then wet to raise the grain, finish with 220 to knock down the fuzz.

For most stuff I do 100 or 120grit with a belt sander to remove mill marks, 120 and 150 with an orbital sander, kill corners with 150, wet to raise grain, finish with 220 to remove fuzz. I used to skip 150 and wet after 120, but I think the 150 makes for a little more consistent surface that takes a bit less finish to get looking good.

With this fancy new Mirka orbital sander and a nice sharp knives I think in future I may be able to skip the belt sanding and just to go straight to 100 or 120 with the orbital sander.

I pretty much always use water based dyes and so I always wet to raise the grain for that, but even if I’m using a solvent dye or pigmented oil stain I still usually do. It really doesn’t take long and I think it does leave a nicer finish.

Wallet posted:

This[is my experience. 3M Cubitron Xtract I've found wildly better than everything else I've tried, but the difference is much more pronounced at 220 than at 100 grit (in terms of sanding speed, the 100 grit is still a lot more durable).

I only really stock 60/80 for rough sanding if I have to remove more material than I'd like, mostly I just do 100/120 and finish with 220.

3m has like 30 kinds of purple sand paper/discs. There's regular stuff with grit on it that's purple (which is what I see locally at Home Depot usually), there's multiple types of regular Cubitron that are purple, and then Xtract Cubitron is also purple (which is the one I prefer).

I haven't seen anything yellow though, and google isn't turning up any obvious results unless I'm being an idiot.
The Cubitron is what I mean by purple paper. I haven’t liked the Xtract as much-it seems to get torn up real easy on my orbital sander. The Mirka abranet or w/e is fantastic though.

This is the gold 3m frecut stuff. It’s the best I’ve found for dry sanding lacquer or shellac. It still clogs but not nearly as badly as most paper. https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...6RoCD_EQAvD_BwE

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you hate sanding, sharp hand tools cut down on sanding by about 90%.

Yeah. On my flat work I mostly don't sand at all, mostly just for breaking edges. But I've been doing curved stuff lately (chairs) and my "edge tool on curved surfaces" skills just aren't there yet. So lots of sanding for shaping and cleaning up tool marks.

Good to hear about other approaches to sanding grits. I'm looking forward to experimenting more.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
Becksvoort goes to 400 or 600 on cherry.

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2019/02/26/on-craftsmanship/

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Anyone use crushed stone (real or synthetic, doesn't matter) like this stuff?

I was wanting to use it (or similar stuff) for an inlaid border on a small table top or tablet. Most of it is sold for "ring kits" or in woodturner supply spots which implies small projects. Does anyone know how far 2oz actually goes?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Wedged.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 ðŸ™Â
Taco Defender

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Now it's time to finish this thing, right?

Thanks for the advice. I thought about buying a sander, but I thought I read something about it being better to sand with the grain. Also I wanted to burn some time and use my arms.

I finished the bottom side and I think it came out great!

Though I did realize something at the end. Maybe I should have picked this side to be the top instead of the bottom?

Whatever. I'm sure the edges being the wrong way up won't bother me forever.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
That's an intentional feature to ease the corner for your wrists. You meant it to be that way.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Anyone use crushed stone (real or synthetic, doesn't matter) like this stuff?

I was wanting to use it (or similar stuff) for an inlaid border on a small table top or tablet. Most of it is sold for "ring kits" or in woodturner supply spots which implies small projects. Does anyone know how far 2oz actually goes?

I can't answer your question regarding crushed stone, but I've used shell strips with great results for inlaid borders. They're consistent and it's easy to estimate as it's length based. https://www.advancedshelltech.com/straight-strips You can get them other places but this is where I have used, not sure how the cost compares to crushed stone.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
For as good as my shop table may be, I made an absolute cock of a job of making a frame for the wife. I picked up this for her at a little comic-convention thing we had in town a couple weeks ago. It was painted on MDF, so I didn’t want to hang it as-is.

So I cleaned up a random chunk of cherry I had kicking around. Fired a couple cut chunks through the router

About this moment, I realized I had hosed up and didn’t joint one set of cut boards on one side so they ended up slightly wider.

Mitred the corners

Around here is where I found a fix but also hosed up again. I ran the extra thickness back through the router to put it on the inside of the frame and it chattered and hosed it up a little bit. That little logo recess on the left side there was another fuckup when I set the height higher instead of lower and yeah. Some of the 1/4” dowel rod broke off early going through the corners.
It was a rough couple of hours.

It worked out well enough I can secure the MDF to the frame and it can hang from the cherry frame.

Maybe next time I’ll attack a delicate project with less gung-ho of getting it done on the secret for her in a couple hours.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sockington posted:

For as good as my shop table may be, I made an absolute cock of a job of making a frame for the wife. I picked up this for her at a little comic-convention thing we had in town a couple weeks ago. It was painted on MDF, so I didn’t want to hang it as-is.

So I cleaned up a random chunk of cherry I had kicking around. Fired a couple cut chunks through the router

About this moment, I realized I had hosed up and didn’t joint one set of cut boards on one side so they ended up slightly wider.

Mitred the corners

Around here is where I found a fix but also hosed up again. I ran the extra thickness back through the router to put it on the inside of the frame and it chattered and hosed it up a little bit. That little logo recess on the left side there was another fuckup when I set the height higher instead of lower and yeah. Some of the 1/4” dowel rod broke off early going through the corners.
It was a rough couple of hours.

It worked out well enough I can secure the MDF to the frame and it can hang from the cherry frame.

Maybe next time I’ll attack a delicate project with less gung-ho of getting it done on the secret for her in a couple hours.

This sounds like every single project I do.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Woodworking is just setting out with an idea and then loving up and fixing fuckups until you wind up with a thing

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A good woodworker is one who has learned how to cover up his mistakes.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

How it started // How it's going

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sockington posted:

Picture frames are tough! I've made a couple for the workshop and they're definitely shop-furniture-quality. Good way to use up some scrap and get some low stakes practice on fine details though.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I always end up making a few picture frames for holiday gifts, and the thing that really stepped up my game was making a jig with a cheap aluminum framing square and stop blocks where you cut one of the miters on each piece on one side of the jig, and the other on the other side. If your fence/square is perfectly 90, the individual miters don't have to be perfectly 45, because they'll mate at 90.

I did something like this, but you shouldn't need to buy the plans, it's pretty simple:
https://youtu.be/CJCSA2SZt5s

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I'm always a bit cattywompus after a good shellacking too.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thinking of spending a bunch of money on tools. Table saw, miter saw, maybe a planer. Before I do, how do I learn to operate safely? Can I just read and watch videos, should I look for a class or something? I don't have any mentors in this realm.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Read and obey the safety instructions in the manual. Watch videos on youtube, but be aware that tons of youtubers actually gently caress up safety all the drat time. Classes can help. Ask questions here, too. Have a healthy respect for your tools. Be aware that some safety issues, like kickback risks, can be counterintuitive.

IMO it's better to get one new big tool at a time, and focus on learning and using it exclusively for a bit. Adding several big new tools at once can be a bit overwhelming. Also do you have a specific project in mind? I like to just get what I need for the next project, so I have a thing to try to do on the new tool, and my experience with some tools helps to inform me of what I might actually prefer in the next one.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 3, 2023

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

also, this is the big one, don't put your fingers in the blade while it's running. would not believe how many people gently caress that one up

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

taking a class is probably a good idea, but I taught myself from watching a bunch of youtube videos and haven't lost any fingers yet

definitely watch as many safety videos as you can if you get a table saw in particular. I started with a miter saw, which is relatively straightforward to use safely, went ahead and ordered a table saw, thought "I'll watch a quick safety video for this one too" and immediately realized it was a far more dangerous tool in ways I definitely would not have considered

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

also, this is the big one, don't put your fingers in the blade while it's running. would not believe how many people gently caress that one up

I never *have*, but I still bought a SawStop because I know that I somehow *will*

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

same

the big catch to learning woodworking from previous generations of craftsmen is that plenty of em *will* just straight up shove their hands in a running miter saw and then act like you're an rear end in a top hat if you question it. Some guys I've met got partial fingers from doing exactly that, and they still do it! I was taught growing up that sometimes a table saw will just launch a board across the room and there's nothing you can do about it, what's a riving knife

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 3, 2023

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Don't worry about dust either. A good lungful of MDF sawdust a day keeps communism from winning. That hacking cough is just weakness leaving the body.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Epitope posted:

Thinking of spending a bunch of money on tools. Table saw, miter saw, maybe a planer. Before I do, how do I learn to operate safely? Can I just read and watch videos, should I look for a class or something? I don't have any mentors in this realm.

Seconding taking a class or two. A decent instructor will help you more in an afternoon than youtubing for a week.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
One of my legs came out a bit wonky but look at the flame

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'll second buying tools in support of a specific project. That way you guarantee that the tool will be used at least once. There's nothing worse than splashing out big money on a toy you never use.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

NomNomNom posted:

One of my legs came out a bit wonky but look at the flame

For a second my dumb rear end thought that loving wax can was a 🤣 emoji Jesus Christmas

Wood looks good tho

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

IMO it's better to get one new big tool at a time, and focus on learning and using it exclusively for a bit. Adding several big new tools at once can be a bit overwhelming. Also do you have a specific project in mind? I like to just get what I need for the next project, so I have a thing to try to do on the new tool, and my experience with some tools helps to inform me of what I might actually prefer in the next one.

Hadn't seen yer edit, good point. Probably worth going one at a time. I keep almost buying one, and then na I don't need more crap. The current idea is garden/planter/work benches. I've got a pretty legit scrap pile that's just going to rot and cause problems. I don't need a fancy saw to get rid of it, but maybe it's more ~rewarding~ that way

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Epitope posted:

Before making any operation on a power tool, think about what could go wrong and where your hands or body is going to be in relation to the tool if/when it does go wrong. The problem with that is that it takes education and experience to learn what can go wrong. I'd consider the table saw the most dangerous of the tools you mentioned. With any power tool, I have some personal rules - no long sleeves, no jewelry, no neckties/hoodie strings/apron straps/long hair or anything else that can dangle down and can get caught in the tool. With the table saw, there is a lot that can go wrong that isn't intuitive at all because there are a lot of factors in play when making a cut that you have no way of knowing about without education or experience. There are plenty of videos on youtube about table saw safety and accidents, so that would definitely be worth checking out.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

PokeJoe posted:

For a second my dumb rear end thought that loving wax can was a 🤣 emoji Jesus Christmas

Wood looks good tho

Johnson wax RIP. Crazy they stopped making it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bob Mundon posted:

Whoa I didn't know that. I use Trewax on my machines because I think it's harder, but Johnson Wax had it's uses too. Briwax is my new fav. for furniture and it's got those good solvents that get you a little goofy.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bob Mundon posted:

Wait WHAT? Why on earth would they stop making it?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bob Mundon posted:

What the poo poo? It was cheap as hell and kept my saws slick and rust free. Now what?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Wait WHAT? Why on earth would they stop making it?
Googling around trying to find out why it was discontinued leads to a bunch of forum posts from woodworkers saying 'I've had the same can of this stuff for 5/10/50 years, how dare they quit making it!!!!,' which, ya know, if everyone's only buying 1 can/decade might not translate to very many sales.

Stultus Maximus posted:

What the poo poo? It was cheap as hell and kept my saws slick and rust free. Now what?
Trewax works great for machines. I think it's all carnuba wax, its much less stinky than Johnson wax.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Googling around trying to find out why it was discontinued leads to a bunch of forum posts from woodworkers saying 'I've had the same can of this stuff for 5/10/50 years, how dare they quit making it!!!!,' which, ya know, if everyone's only buying 1 can/decade might not translate to very many sales.

Good point, I'm maybe a quarter of the way through the can I bought a decade ago. It might last another 30 years at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Not cheap as hell, but Royal Purple Maxfilm is my go-to lubricant for pretty much everything. I don't know the technology, but it is a spray on solid film lubricant that leaves behind an extremely durable slippery film finish.