Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I guess my point more than the direct comparison was that From Beyond met that threshold of "I will overpay for this because I don't want to risk missing out on it". If I'm being honest The Wicker Man does too and this is just me going through the usual stages leading to eventual acceptance where I will begrudgingly pull the trigger on it.

I had the similar period of delusion with the From Beyond UHD where I was like oh no this is way to expensive I need to think about this...

I totally get it, and am also resisting the urge to buy this release lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Thanks, spent more money :shepface:

Boywhiz88 posted:

Radio On was a tight movie. gently caress I’m tempted.

Thanks for the rec.

ultraviolence123 posted:

I bought that Primetime Panic set when it originally came out, and it's an excellent release. Definitely pick that one up if you haven't already. I'm a big fan of 70s / 80s TV movies and this set hit the spot. Since I'm taking about strange TV movies, which label is going to bless us with a disc for 1988's The People Across the Lake?

I'm not a huge TV movies fan but it looked cool, thanks for validating my money bleed yesterday

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ive got a vinegar syndrome sale coming…

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Region locked BD's always make the choice easy. I'll wait to see if it's a good SC encode and for someone to license it in this region. I'm starting to lose hope that eventually BD will be phased out of these packages

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1654115502363385856

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1654117200171606018

Give me a region 1 release you cowards!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Such a bad boring movie

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

inferis posted:

Such a bad boring movie

As a huge fan of creature features who’s made forgiving their sins one of my primary hobbies…I just can’t believe this movie gets love.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
C'mon Australian boutique..razorback?? Give us dead alive already

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Razorback has a lot of atmosphere, it's actually shot in the Australian outback(by the guy who shot Mad Max 2), and it's classic old school creature effects with a gigantic Razorback animatronic. What's not to like?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gather the family and kiddo's around to check out the Kids collectors edition!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I've never actually seen Kids, despite liking everything else I've seen by Harmony Korine. I had a friend in high school who was obsessed and tried to get me to watch it, but I never got around to it. Not about to blind-buy it but I should still give it a go.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is there any info on what We Were Once Kids is? Is it just a making of retrospective documentary?

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1654140966897434629

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

I bought the VS box set and I honestly feel confident enough to skip this 4k upgrade based on the quality of the VS release.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Liar Lyre posted:

Some details from VS newsletter about the halfway sale.
-we already know about A Blade in the Dark, The Boogeyman, and Villages of the Damned
-VSU of Showgirls
-two secret titles
-two VSA titles, both from the 80s
-a boxset for the VSL sub line, so probably some pre 1970 horror from Universal if it’s anything like the last few VSL titles
Plus some partner stuff going OOP, so jump on it now.

Dang, wish I saw this when Video Violence and Bilitis was still available.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Man, this is bringing back some video store memories. Because of it's title and genre it was our first faced out VHS tape on our first rack (alphabetical)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

I would buy this in a heartbeat if it was region 1. KIDS is one of the few DVDs I still own and play.

Wild movie that was introduced to me at a pivotal time as a 17yo.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

gey muckle mowser posted:

I've never actually seen Kids, despite liking everything else I've seen by Harmony Korine. I had a friend in high school who was obsessed and tried to get me to watch it, but I never got around to it. Not about to blind-buy it but I should still give it a go.

It would be a recommended blind-buy if it was a standard edition. I dont think the first time viewer needs all these goodies. The film is good though.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
My favorite memory of Kids is when my film production professor in undergrad decided to screen it for us and one student ended up pearl clutching and reported it to the administration, forcing the professor into retirement.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gripweed posted:

Oh poo poo, I’ve wanted to watch this since I saw ads for it in magazines literally two decades ago

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1653837253620404225?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Iria is a classic, can't go wrong with a 90s anime. That other flick sounds cool

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

zer0spunk posted:

C'mon Australian boutique..razorback?? Give us dead alive already

Peter Jackson first has to make it look like an impressionist painting.

dorium posted:

Gather the family and kiddo's around to check out the Kids collectors edition!

You cannot even MENTION this movie to my sister. We grew up as a bunch of somewhat sheltered Catholic school kids. She was in her early teens when this came out and for whatever reason my dad thought she needed to see this movie as a cautionary tale. I guess it worked though because she was sufficiently mortified that she reels in disgust at the mere thought of this movie.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

wtf is this premise? did a Hollywood sicko take "write what you know" too seriously?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Mantis42 posted:

wtf is this premise? did a Hollywood sicko take "write what you know" too seriously?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mantis42 posted:

Yeah, with a premise like that'd you'd think Larry Clark directed it or something! :v:

Anyway, Angel is a surprisingly good movie, and at the very least the director didn't really show Angel doing any "hooking" so there was some restraint shown there. But then it's kind of ruined by the fact that there's, like, two gratuitous shower scenes in a locker room with actors who are supposed to be playing highschoolers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Executive producer Jeffrey Epstein.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That's clearly Martin Scorsese when what you want is Woody Allen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

That's clearly Martin Scorsese when what you want is Woody Allen.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1654447987651670017

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Loutish youths are a real problem in Britain.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Those kids are a buncha ruffians, I tell ye!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Umbrella Ent is a VinSyn partner label so I'd assume it's coming for y'all shortly.

This reminds me that I have the uncut Ken Park sitting in a bunch of DVDs I got recently and should get around to that. Not sure if I can justify $75au on a blind buy of Kids, but they're also doing screenings with the new doco as well around my city soon so I might go to those.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I, Butthole posted:

Umbrella Ent is a VinSyn partner label so I'd assume it's coming for y'all shortly.

This reminds me that I have the uncut Ken Park sitting in a bunch of DVDs I got recently and should get around to that. Not sure if I can justify $75au on a blind buy of Kids, but they're also doing screenings with the new doco as well around my city soon so I might go to those.

Oh ken park, you made watching season 2 of the wire real loving awkward

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i didn't see this mentioned in this thread but best buy restocked Ran in store and online for $20 if you were like me and missed it the first time, and refuse to pay eBay prices. I think this was the only american release, no standard or anything. There's a UK version you could import if you didn't care about the region locking of the BDs

I think all these second gos mention a "second pressing" or whatever on the packaging, but just like in the book world, I don't think anyone will care about what edition it is if it's identical otherwise much to the chagrin of ebay flippers

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1654530091613814785
New 88 Films titles. The first Long Arm Of The Law movie has some of the only footage shot inside Kowloon Walled City.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Lumbermouth posted:

The first Long Arm Of The Law movie has some of the only footage shot inside Kowloon Walled City.

Instabuy then. KWC has fascinated me since I saw Bloodsport as a kid.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

i didn't see this mentioned in this thread but best buy restocked Ran in store and online for $20 if you were like me and missed it the first time, and refuse to pay eBay prices. I think this was the only american release, no standard or anything. There's a UK version you could import if you didn't care about the region locking of the BDs

I think all these second gos mention a "second pressing" or whatever on the packaging, but just like in the book world, I don't think anyone will care about what edition it is if it's identical otherwise much to the chagrin of ebay flippers

Thanks for the heads up, just bought it.

Also yes, KWC

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

New hints in the Vinegar Syndrome newsletter.

Vinegar Syndrome posted:

Meanwhile, our two Secret Surprise UHDs are shaping up nicely, each featuring multiple cuts and an abundance of extras. Their cumulative kill counts might also be a new record!

In addition, our set of wildly different VSAs are also prime examples of the type of early 80s weirdness we love so much and, in their own ways, are sort of tributes to America...albeit with creatures, fight scenes, and other countries standing in for the good ol’ US of A. One also will mark its world uncut disc debut.

Finally, our next VSL is also a VSL first: a box set. This four film collection is something we’ve been wanting to do for a long time and will also mark our first foray into this particular breed of out-there Euro cinema. We hope you like it because there’s plenty more where these came from.

As usual come the sale, we’ll also have a fresh array of shirts, merchandise, posters, and more in addition to two new Catalog Slips and two exciting Variant Slips done in the iconic art style befitting our upcoming VSL box.

Also, a heads up: Just as we moved Yearly Subscriptions from Black Friday to January, we will be moving Halfway Subscriptions from the Halfway BF sale to July 1st. That means we will be having a MINI Subscriber Week July 1st - 7th. More info on that to come.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I wonder if the VSL box set will be something along the lines of Italian sex comedies?? Very curious to see what that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boycott Vinegar Syndrome until they release the special edition Freaked blu-ray.

Don't fight me on this it worked before.