Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Aurubin posted:

I know the main beats of the story from wikis and such, why is Jessica wearing so much jewelry now?

I'm not trying to gatekeep DUNC or anything but it sounds like you don't know the main beats of the story, and I would encourage you to read the book cause it owns and imo it makes the films better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

this is exactly how i envisioned leto ii when reading geod

uncanny!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kalel posted:

what pink Floyd song are they going to use this time for the second major trailer. I can't imagine anything else over another brick in the wall but I'd be willing to hear other ideas

Anything from animals would probably fit thematically

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

kalel posted:

what pink Floyd song are they going to use this time for the second major trailer. I can't imagine anything else over another brick in the wall but I'd be willing to hear other ideas

Uhhhhmaaaa gummmm-ahhhhhh

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Release the 20 minute trailer set to Echoes, cowards

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Have a Stilgar. You're gonna go far.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
And did we tell you the name of the game, Paul?
We call it riding the Shai Hulud

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
We're just two usuls swimming in a fish bowl

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Hulud ihn, hulud ihn unter's Dach.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

not nearly long nor girthy enough :colbert:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

thats not candy posted:

not nearly long nor girthy enough :colbert:

turn on your monitor

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The black-and-white gladiator match looks beautiful. I wonder why it's black and white though. The only time the first movie shifted color palettes was for spice visions, which were orange-tinged (still seem to be going by other trailer shots). In the book, Feyd's birthday games are just another event happening parallel to Paul's story that we cut to for one chapter. All the other cuts to other planets are in color, just that one scene isn't.

Wonder if the arena is just gonna have some diegetic dome that cuts out colored light? Or maybe the movie will present it as some kind of flashback.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Bugblatter posted:

Wonder if the arena is just gonna have some diegetic dome that cuts out colored light? Or maybe the movie will present it as some kind of flashback.

Or layer it with Hawat/Baron/Margot commentary or narration, if they keep the multiple plots happening in the novel version.

But yeah the arena in particular looks like something from an old Holywood historical epic, the vibe is perfect.

8 track hoarder
May 28, 2021

kalel posted:

"and all you create and all you destroy...and everything under the sun is in tune" but the sun is eclipsed by the DUUUUUNE

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

It's been a while since I read the book but don't the Baron and Fenring have a conversation inside a silencing cone when Feyd is fighting? Maybe that's what everything outside the cone looks like when you're inside it?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bugblatter posted:

The black-and-white gladiator match looks beautiful. I wonder why it's black and white though.
My best guess: this is what the captured Atreides slave gladiator sees as the poison kills him.

Or it just won't look like that in the movie, I really don't know.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
My guess is that they are interpreting the harkonen planets sun as being some kind of white dwarf, which bleaches out all the color. Reason why the harkonens all live in what appears to be windowless caces.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Eh, we’ve seen both the Harkonnen world and silencing cones in the first movie, so I doubt it’s either of those. Other shots from Geidi Prime in the trailer have normal color.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Bugblatter posted:

Eh, we’ve seen both the Harkonnen world and silencing cones in the first movie, so I doubt it’s either of those. Other shots from Geidi Prime in the trailer have normal color.

Those shots were all at night or indoors i thought.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
You can’t make white light without all the colors of light, I don’t think. If you have white light, that light has a blue component, for example.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

You can’t make white light without all the colors of light, I don’t think. If you have white light, that light has a blue component, for example.

Yeah, white is literally the full visible spectrum. But if you push light to be mostly in the ultraviolet spectrum, like what happens on overcast days, humans perceive color as being less saturated.

That wouldn’t really happen without an artificial filter though. A white dwarf doesn’t work like that, unless they’re throwing science completely out the window. Night would be receiving reflected light from the same star anyway.

Pretty sure it will either be a framing device or an in-world manufactured effect.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I think I read something recently where Villeneuve's wish was maybe having enough juice to do a third movie that's Dune Messiah. Just gimme a prescient vision where Paul sees Leto II doing his thing, that'll be enough.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
But I want the crazy worm

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Steve Yun posted:

69 Body Problem
Apr 3, 2023

by vyelkin

GlassEye-Boy posted:

My guess is that they are interpreting the harkonen planets sun as being some kind of white dwarf, which bleaches out all the color. Reason why the harkonens all live in what appears to be windowless caces.

I thought Arrakis orbits a white dwarf in the book?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

69 Body Problem posted:

You're thinking of Bijaz but he's not from Arrakis

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Just skip Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, go straight to God-Emperor. It's 5000 years in the future, Duncan's back, and back, and back, Arrakis is a forest, don't explain anything. Also worm.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
She got that Voice that booms

That dark Stillsuit

You know I saw in a future vision oh-oh

B-B-B-Bene Gesserit

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

please don't try to film God Emperor tia

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Nah I wanna see the Lars von Trier vision of Siyanoq.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FBS posted:

Well now I'm definitely gonna

crankybastard
Jan 4, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

Uhhhhmaaaa gummmm-ahhhhhh

Several species of small, furry animals gathered in a cave and grooving with a SANDWORM

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

69 Body Problem posted:

It orbits real-world star Canopus which is bright giant and very white. The book brings up the effect it has on perceived colors a couple times.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, the Terminology Of The Imperium section at the end of the first book lists it as the third planet of the Canopus system, which is a white giant - meaning its habitable zone is between 45 and 68 light seconds (Earth is 8 light seconds).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FBS posted:

another day volunteering as a Museum Fremen. Buddy, they won't even let me film Him

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

TerminalSaint posted:

It orbits real-world star Canopus which is bright giant and very white. The book brings up the effect it has on perceived colors a couple times.

These kind of details seem to fall by the wayside really easily in the adaptations. I seem to recall early on (when Jessica finds the hidden garden, I believe) the book mentions Arrakis has a nearly space-black sky even during the day because there's too little moisture in the atmosphere to scatter the sunlight to cause a blue sky. I always felt like that would've been cool to see rendered properly, but also understand why they don't bother.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, white is literally the full visible spectrum. But if you push light to be mostly in the ultraviolet spectrum, like what happens on overcast days, humans perceive color as being less saturated.

That wouldn’t really happen without an artificial filter though. A white dwarf doesn’t work like that, unless they’re throwing science completely out the window. Night would be receiving reflected light from the same star anyway.

Pretty sure it will either be a framing device or an in-world manufactured effect.

Maybe they're going for the whole planet being a polluted hell world with overcast/hazy skies messing with the perceived color.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

disposablewords posted:

These kind of details seem to fall by the wayside really easily in the adaptations. I seem to recall early on (when Jessica finds the hidden garden, I believe) the book mentions Arrakis has a nearly space-black sky even during the day because there's too little moisture in the atmosphere to scatter the sunlight to cause a blue sky. I always felt like that would've been cool to see rendered properly, but also understand why they don't bother.

I think Rayleigh scattering is almost entirely due to N2 and O2 anyway

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think Rayleigh scattering is almost entirely due to N2 and O2 anyway

Fair. I considered the possibility the science had moved on and disproved that, but also didn't care that much to look it up. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

disposablewords posted:

I wonder if that would work as an ai prompt just to see what the heck it would look like.